PDA

View Full Version : Food Science

Hephaestus
2008-09-15, 11:03 PM
I'm thinking of changing my major in college from Electrical Engineering to Food Science. It's a pretty big decision though and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of those that might help me make a choice.

snoopy13a
2008-09-15, 11:06 PM
I knew a few guys from college who majored in food science. There are lots of jobs out there in that field. One of my old buddies works as a brewmaster and another works for a candy company.

Thes Hunter
2008-09-15, 11:09 PM
I personally think food science sounds MUCH more fun.

And, what ^ said. Those jobs are pure win.

snoopy13a
2008-09-15, 11:13 PM
It isn't a joke major though. I believe you need two years of chemistry, including organic chem. Of course, EE is one of the toughest undergraduate majors around so it isn't like you would be overwhelmed.

Hephaestus
2008-09-15, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I didn't realize EE was so much work going in. I like it, I'm just not that up for all that...

And I've looked at the curriculum in my university for Food Science; Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Physics. It's a lot of science, but it's also all things I really enjoy learning about...

RandomLogic
2008-09-15, 11:46 PM
Well I'm an EE grad student. And yeah, if you go to a school worth its salt it can be a bear. If you aren't an upperclassman yet, it will get harder. Sorry.

My cousin actually is a Food Science major, and I think my younger sister might be going for Nutrition. He had an internship at Con Agra over the summer, made pretty good money and had a good time.

That being said though, if you don't like engineering, more work you don't like isn't going to make you like it more.