PDA

View Full Version : Can I refute an infraction I've received?

Nevrmore
2008-09-16, 05:02 AM
I really don't see how I got a warning for "Flaming," but I figure if I try to present a case I might get another infraction for insubordination or something. Will Mods take in complaints about this sort of thing?

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-16, 05:32 AM
I doubt it.

Jimorian
2008-09-16, 05:59 AM
Well, not publicly (because it's none of our business, we wouldn't even know for sure you had one until you mentioned it (and yes, doing so could very well lead to additional warnings/infractions)), but you always have the option of asking for clarification or possible reversal via PM going up the chain of moderator hierarchy from the board on which you received it.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-09-16, 08:15 AM
Comrade Gorby: You can always ask for clarification regarding an infraction from the mod who issued it, and if you feel strongly that it should not have been issued or have some other concern regarding a moderator, you can PM WampaX regarding it. We just ask that you be polite in these requests.

RTGoodman
2008-09-16, 08:22 AM
I didn't see it in the Rules, but I'm pretty sure when you get an infraction or warning or anything you should receive a PM from the mod that issued it with information. You should be able to discuss it with that mod if you're unsure about WHY you got it, but I don't think you can actually "complain." If you don't think you deserved the infraction you can talk to the original issuing mod, or if you think you're being treated unfairly you're allowed to go up the chain of command*, as it were, like Jimor said.

Moderators
Rich has selected a number of Moderators to help keep the forums in line; the Moderators were selected by Rich personally and are acting on his authority, so what they say goes. If you really feel you have been treated unfairly by a Moderator, you may contact WampaX – but make sure you have a good reason to, because if you don’t have a valid complaint, it might just make it worse for you.

[...]

If you have a question or concern about these Rules or anything else on the Forum, feel free to send a Mod a Private Message – just be aware it may take them a while to get back to you. They’re all volunteers, and have a lot to do on the forum and in real life. Be patient, they’ll get back to you.

Vital info bolded for emphasis.
*Chain of Command (n) - The chain they go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the very Mods themselves! (Or, at least, a Mod...) :smalltongue:

AKA_Bait
2008-09-16, 08:59 AM
As said by the Mod's themselves, Mod's will take complaints and explain why you got an infraction. Just be polite and do it the right way.

A peice of advice though: just accept the infraction, carefully read whatever PM you got telling you why, and try to avoid the behaviour that got you the infraction in the first place. This is a very civil board and things that won't get you an infraction on other, less well moderated, sites might, rightly, earn you one here. Don't peg behaviour based upon what you have been able to say elsewhere and didn't get punished for. This is a nicer place than those places and the mods work very hard to keep it that way. I'd look at how some of the older posters around interact and you should get a pretty solid idea of the kind of interactions that fly around these parts.

Charity
2008-09-16, 10:31 AM
^ Not always the case some oldies serve as a much better example than me others. You are best off starting on your best behaviour and hoping that flies... if not then you will go the way of the fairies.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-16, 11:11 AM
^ Not always the case some oldies serve as a much better example than me others. You are best off starting on your best behaviour and hoping that flies... if not then you will go the way of the fairies.

I dunno, I was thinking more of people like Matthew and Shhalahr Windrider but you've been around as long as I've been here without getting banned. :smallwink:

Kidding aside, Charity is right. Act in as friendly a manner as possible and you'll probably be fine. Don't take stuff personally and if something does get under your skin consider how whatever you have just written will come across before you post it, are good rules of thumb for staying out of trouble. Not just here, but generally in life as well.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-16, 11:18 AM
Act in as friendly a manner as possible and you'll probably be fine. Don't take stuff personally and if something does get under your skin consider how whatever you have just written will come across before you post it, are good rules of thumb for staying out of trouble. Not just here, but generally in life as well.

I know that some may view those words as patronizing or hackneyed, but they ring true, especially in these fora. Behave yourself, treat others respectfully, stand up straight, & bathe regularly; if you follow these guidelines, you'll be alright. :smallwink:

And just remember: you're not alone. Many of us here have gotten an infraction or a warning at some point. You weren't singled out for anything. Some of our most prominent members have been dinged for shooting their mouths off, & a few have even fallen to the Mighty Banhammer after one flame too many.

arguskos
2008-09-16, 11:25 AM
I know that some may view those words as patronizing or hackneyed, but they ring true, especially in these fora. Behave yourself, treat others respectfully, stand up straight, & bathe regularly; if you follow these guidelines, you'll be alright.
Ohshi- bathing. They're on to the secret of my powers! Flee!! :smalltongue:

Also, I have no right posting here (not been here long enough yet), but I'm betting the fellows here are correct, since the oldies tend to know what they're talking about.

-argus

Dode
2008-09-16, 11:27 AM
Hey can anyone else see the "Infractions" listing under my avatar?
I got some warning for "flaming" or something (don't really care) but I'm curious if anyone else can see this scarlet letter on my user account.

onasuma
2008-09-16, 11:28 AM
Nope, they're for your eyes only

AKA_Bait
2008-09-16, 11:33 AM
I got some warning for "flaming" or something (don't really care) but I'm curious if anyone else can see this scarlet letter on my user account.

As onasuma said, only you and the Mod's can see it. You aren't marked for your sins for all the community to see. That wouldn't be fair. As Zeta Kai said, we all screw up sometimes.

Zeful
2008-09-16, 12:09 PM

I don't see it even when I click the veiw public profile button.

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-16, 02:12 PM

Yeah, most serve as much better examples than me as well.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-18, 07:39 AM
Yeah, most serve as much better examples than me as well.

Well, you are currently a troll. :smallwink:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-18, 08:17 AM
I dunno, I was thinking more of people like Matthew and Shhalahr Windrider…

:redface:

Eh, they have to find me first. I've really scaled back on my posting lately. :smalltongue:

Also, I have no right posting here (not been here long enough yet)…
I have no idea what you're talking about. You've got just as much right to post here as anywhere else on the board. We don't discriminate based on length of membership.

arguskos
2008-09-18, 08:59 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about. You've got just as much right to post here as anywhere else on the board. We don't discriminate based on length of membership.
Merely that I don't have the experience to talk from yet (having managed to avoid infractions so far, etc). That's all. :smallredface:

-argus

AKA_Bait
2008-09-19, 09:06 AM
Merely that I don't have the experience to talk from yet (having managed to avoid infractions so far, etc). That's all. :smallredface:

-argus

Experience be darned. You have plenty of right to an opinon. I'm not sure it's really experience as much as use of common sense and politness in responding to people. You seem to have more than enough of that thus far. I have friends on here who managed to get infractions within the first week of being registered because they were used to being able to say stuff on other boards that's not kosher here.

I only pointed at folks who have been around longer because, well, they've been around longer and haven't been banned and so make good evidence for one who might doubt what good behavior in the Playground is not because they have any greater right to an opinion, or ultimatley would make better role models, than the rest of us. I don't consider myself one of the older denzens of the boards but I'll happy spout off at the mouth anyway (in case you haven't noticed). :smallwink:

Zeta Kai
2008-09-19, 11:11 AM
...having managed to avoid infractions so far...

Oh, you will... you WILL... BWA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha ha!!!

...ahem...

Excuse me...

Anyway, everyone has a voice here, & the posting/infraction rules are designed to allow everyone to be heard in a civil, unintimidating fashion. Even the n00biest Pixie could be a brilliant homebrewer or a long-time PbPer from another forum. Or a foul-mouthed whack-job. It's fun to see how the new member will turn out. :smallwink:

Also, i'd say that anyone who joined in 2006 or before & has acheived a title of Orc or above could be considered a veteran denizen, but that's just my subjective view, & off-topic to boot.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-19, 11:21 AM
Oh, you will... you WILL... BWA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha ha!!!

Now, now don't doom the man. He's not the only person on the forum to remain infraction free for their entire stay here thus far.

Anyway, everyone has a voice here, & the posting/infraction rules are designed to allow everyone to be heard in a civil, unintimidating fashion. Even the n00biest Pixie could be a brilliant homebrewer or a long-time PbPer from another forum. Or a foul-mouthed whack-job. It's fun to see how the new member will turn out. :smallwink:

One of the reasons I wholeheartledy support the 'titles are just for fun' rule. We get quite a few refugees from other boards here, many of whom know a whole lot and are very interesting to discuss a point with. Sometimes they need to adjust to the place actually being moderated though so it's good the mods aren't quick with the banhammer. Generally, quality will out, as they say.

Krrth
2008-09-19, 01:37 PM
As a rule of thumb, before replying to a post that...."upsets" me, I take a breath and don't respond right then. Wait a few moments, and when you do respond, be polite. It seems to work out well.

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-19, 03:03 PM
Now, now don't doom the man. He's not the only person on the forum to remain infraction free for their entire stay here thus far.

I'm pretty sure I've managed it.

Krrth speaks truth. The best thing is sometimes to stop and think before you hit 'submit reply'. I've discarded countless posts, which probably helped with the aforementioned lack of infractions.

Vonriel
2008-09-19, 03:42 PM
I've simply taken to just not posting at all in that thread any more, until I know for sure I can do it without messing up. It's probably incredibly good advice, anyway, because.. well, I'm sure there's an aphorism around somewhere that talks about rashness and patience and their effect on decisions or something.

skywalker
2008-09-19, 03:49 PM
I'm pretty sure I've managed it.

Krrth speaks truth. The best thing is sometimes to stop and think before you hit 'submit reply'. I've discarded countless posts, which probably helped with the aforementioned lack of infractions.

Hey, me too!

Probably at least 100 lol.

I was going to mention that the OP has been here for 2 years, probably knows the score...

Also, I think not having a "whatever" attitude when it comes to the rules(and what mods have to say) is useful. I know I try to take and value everything a mod(or admin) says as seriously as possible, because, frankly, if they infract you for flaming, you weren't just kinda flaming. At least in my experience, sometimes I've said things I expected to be infracted for, but was not. So if you do get infracted or warned, it's probably something to take a look at, they're not just blowing smoke.

RTGoodman
2008-09-19, 05:47 PM
I do the same. I always preview and read over my posts, and if I see that I've been a little more flamey than I should have been I either re-write it or just never post it. It's served me well so far. Like skywalker, I've probably just never post at least a hundred posts or more because I realize as I re-read it that it's just not worth it.

Vaynor
2008-09-21, 11:33 PM

It's not really all that difficult, just try not to post out of anger. I've been here for almost three and a half years now without a single infraction. :smallsmile:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-22, 12:27 AM
The key is to be more restrained here and read the rules. The rules come down harder here than on many other forums, and there are some odd ones that take getting used to. (I'm personally still shocked that mods here don't want people to post "reported" in spam topics. I'm on forums far less active than this one that the mods have nearly begged people to do so after finding their inbox overflowing after not logging on for a day.)

skywalker
2008-09-22, 01:22 AM
The key is to be more restrained here and read the rules. The rules come down harder here than on many other forums, and there are some odd ones that take getting used to. (I'm personally still shocked that mods here don't want people to post "reported" in spam topics. I'm on forums far less active than this one that the mods have nearly begged people to do so after finding their inbox overflowing after not logging on for a day.)

I can think of two reasons why the policy is the way it is:

1st, that spam posts are advertisements, and what makes advertisements more effective is you seeing them. If you post to a spam thread, you push it back to the top of the page, which actually assists the advertiser in using the forum for something the Giant doesn't want the forum used for.

2nd, posts to a spam thread are still counted as posts. Posts like "reported," or "this is spam" are in fact themselves spam, because they add nothing to the discussion(generally speaking, there is no discussion to be added to in the first place.), somewhat like organ-harvesting, which was recently made an infraction(tho not explicitly). It could be seen as a way to drive up your post count, similar to thread necromancy.

3rd, since you know a spam thread is going to be locked, chances are whatever you have to say is either glaringly obvious or nobody's going to have a chance to reply to it. So why say it in the first place? This is similar to the second point, and I admit, it may have been better to put it in there, but this is the way it seemed to come out most clear.

EDIT: I am a dumbass, I had three reasons, not two :smallredface:

Ghastly Epigram
2008-09-22, 01:57 AM
Is not the reasoning behind posting "Reported" or some such in spam threads that everyone else knows they don't need to report it themselves, and the moderators' inboxes do not get flooded with billions of reports?

But, this way works fine too. >.> (+ Skywalker's reasons)

Rawhide
2008-09-22, 02:13 AM
Thankfully, vBulletin is a lot smarter than that. It will nicely collate and organise reports for the same post. Also, we don't receive PMs or emails for reports.

NerfTW
2008-09-22, 08:33 AM

Adding to Skywalker's reasons, I recall on a few boards (possibly different software, though) that deleting a post with replies is harder than deleting just the one post.

Also, people ranting at the spam post look ridiculous, like talking to a wall as though the original bricklayer can still hear you. It's a spam-bot, there's probably no human around to read it.

Burrito
2008-09-22, 04:17 PM
.. well, I'm sure there's an aphorism around somewhere that talks about rashness and patience and their effect on decisions or something.

As one of my law enforcement instructors said on the topic of dumb comments made in the heat fo the moment. "If it feels good to say, you probably shouldn't say it." That little phrase has saved me from making an ass out of myself countless times.

Quincunx
2008-09-22, 08:36 PM
That's the sort of epigram (*funny looks all round*) . . .wise words that get rounds of beer bought for the speaker. 'Round here it's stout or whiskey, if that'll do.

Douglas
2008-09-27, 03:12 PM
I can think of two reasons why the policy is the way it is:
4th reason and the one that I think really matters here: As I understand it, this forum's software consolidates all reports of the same post into a single (possibly long) report. Thus, even if 1000 members have all reported something, when the mods log in and check the reports list there will only be one entry for that particular post, and when it is dealt with the entire multi-report will disappear all at once. So the extra reports do not cause any kind of problem for the mods, and avoiding bumping the spam thread is a much more important factor.

ufo
2008-09-27, 04:28 PM
I have once questioned an infraction I got, and all that happened was that I gots me a nice little talk with a mod regarding the definition of flaming :smallbiggrin:

Gralamin
2008-09-28, 02:02 AM
It's not really all that difficult, just try not to post out of anger. I've been here for almost three and a half years now without a single infraction. :smallsmile:

Wow, it just occurred to me when reading this that in a couple of months, I would of been on here for four years without getting an infraction. (Though this is mainly due to me trying to remain civil, not posting to much, and not posting at all in threads that have a tendency to make me want to react.)

Forderz
2008-10-01, 10:02 PM
Comparing this board to another board I frequent, the Asoiaf board, the differences in avatars alone is staggering, which may have something to do with the awesome stick avatars that are encouraged here. While generally this is a great forum, it sometimes lack the punch of less moderated boards, where you can call someone an A$$L0|2D F44GG10 8UTT|\/|U|\|CH3|2 if you can justify it within your argument. Plus politics is just fun to talk about. That said, waiting 20 seconds to post or so is probably the best way to avoid getting the red text of doom.

Teron
2008-10-02, 07:36 AM
Am I correct in assuming that contesting a warning would be considered a petty waste of a moderator's time?

Zherog
2008-10-02, 08:54 AM
Am I correct in assuming that contesting a warning would be considered a petty waste of a moderator's time?

Not necessarily. If you're just gonna whine about it, then you're right; but if you're looking to have a constructive conversation then that's probably not a waste of time.

Serpentine
2008-10-05, 09:10 AM
Am I correct in assuming that contesting a warning would be considered a petty waste of a moderator's time?Not if it means that you'll have a better idea of what you've done and how to avoid acquiring another one later.

Also, i'd say that anyone who joined in 2006 or before & has acheived a title of Orc or above could be considered a veteran denizen, but that's just my subjective view, & off-topic to boot.Woooo, I is veteran denizen! :smallbiggrin: >is all, like, totally mature an' stuff<

Bayar
2008-10-05, 10:03 AM
Also, i'd say that anyone who joined in 2006 or before & has acheived a title of Orc or above could be considered a veteran denizen, but that's just my subjective view, & off-topic to boot.

........what ? :confused:

No, really, I dont understand what you are saying here...

First Speaker
2008-10-05, 01:39 PM
I love the idea of 'refuting' an infraction. Sounds like something Thomas Aquinas would do; via careful argumentation, inductive logic, and empirical observation, he would disprove the existence of the board's infractions.

Zeta Kai
2008-10-07, 02:39 PM
........what ? :confused:

No, really, I dont understand what you are saying here...

I was replying to a person (Arguskos) who said that they don't have enough experience to render an opinion on the subject at hand. I let him know that his opinion is valid, regardless of experience, & that being a veteran around here is beyond me, by my own standards.

SalSar_Thiran
2008-10-09, 03:37 PM
There are many veterans here and each has their own way of doing things.

For the most part though people here are civil and frank. I haven't gotten an infraction but that was mostly cause what I caused was before the infraction system at all. (Cookie if you remeber what).

One of the best feature of this board is that if you ask an honest question, even (especialy) of the mods, you will get a frank honest answer and not beratings or other derogatory comments that can occur on other boards.

What I'm getting at is while you can look to the older posters, just imaging yourself in a business setting, would what you are saying be acceptable there? Works for me so far.

Talya
2008-10-09, 05:01 PM
This place is so heavily moderated, normal conversation is very difficult. You have to be a little angel to avoid infractions, and you'll still eventually get some. Try to be civil, and don't sweat it too much, so long as you don't accumulate enough to get banned.

It's like a conversation I had at the dinner table the other night:

Me (to my husband): What a frustrating day at work. Oh my, but that woman was stupid.
My 5-year-old: Mommy, don't say stupid. My teacher says it's a bad word.
Me: Oh. I see. Okay, she was dumb.
My 5-year-old: Dumb's a bad word, too.
Me: Idiot? Moron? A few cherries short of a fruit salad?
My 5-year-old: Idiot's a bad word, too...what were the others?
Me: How on Earth do they expect people to be able to voice the normal sentiment that other people are utterly devoid of functional brain activity if they don't let us say anything offensive?
Husband: I think that's the point.
Me: It's a stupid point.
My 5-year-old: Mommy! Don't say...

Zherog
2008-10-09, 05:28 PM
This place is so heavily moderated, normal conversation is very difficult. You have to be a little angel to avoid infractions, and you'll still eventually get some.

I've never had any problems carrying on a conversation in any of threads I've participated in. And in all my time around here, I've never received an infraction. Are the standards around here tougher than other places? Yes. Is that a bad thing? Well, that's a subjective thing, but in my opinion -- no, it's not a bad thing.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-09, 05:41 PM
Um....I kinda wandered in here by accident, but I have to ask - is comparing the moderators to a five-year-old child really going to make your argument look any better?

NerfTW
2008-10-09, 05:45 PM
{Scrubbed}

Talya
2008-10-09, 05:46 PM
I've never had any problems carrying on a conversation in any of threads I've participated in. And in all my time around here, I've never received an infraction. Are the standards around here tougher than other places? Yes. Is that a bad thing? Well, that's a subjective thing, but in my opinion -- no, it's not a bad thing.

I wasn't complaining about it. It's probably a good thing.

Um....I kinda wandered in here by accident, but I have to ask - is comparing the moderators to a five-year-old child really going to make your argument look any better?

That's not the comparison. My son wasn't doing the moderation, he was repeating his teacher's moderation.

The point was just how natural normal (and usually friendly) conversational impulses need to be changed if you want to avoid infractions here. You can't get around the rules by the letter of the law, they are actually trying to prevent you from expressing certain things here completely, so some things that you want to say, just simply cannot be said. Is this good? I don't know. I can argue both sides of that. But they are the rules, so we live by them.

{Scrubbed}

I hope this is for demonstrational purposes, perhaps?

AKA_Bait
2008-10-09, 07:01 PM
I wasn't complaining about it. It's probably a good thing.

I'd say so.

The point was just how natural normal (and usually friendly) conversational impulses need to be changed if you want to avoid infractions here. You can't get around the rules by the letter of the law, they are actually trying to prevent you from expressing certain things here completely, so some things that you want to say, just simply cannot be said.

Excluding religious/political comments (which don't really belong on a gaming forum) and personal attacks against other posters (which I shouldn't be lowering myself to say anyway) I have never been unable to express a single idea I wanted to here. Not. One. So, unless those are the two cases you are talking about I really don't see any evidence for the idea that people are unable to express themselves because of the forum rules. I've had some pretty heated debates and some firey exchanges of ideas and never once gotten an infraction for them.

Have I thought better about phrasing a particular comment a particular way and changed the way I said it before I posted? Sure, but I've always been able to find a way to express the idea that didn't insult or disparage another poster. It's really not that hard as long as I remember to attack the idea in play and not the poster whose idea it was. Which is the right way to treat it anyhow because honestly, a disagreement on a message board isn't personal, it is a discussion of ideas, about which people have differing views. Folks shouldn't make it personal.

Basically, I've always seen the vast majority of rules here that effect real posters (rather than bots) a something that could be summed up as "treat the other members of the forum with respect." That's enforced by the mods without being draconian. The Playground is a much nicer place, the nicest place I have found on this here web, as a result.

Talya
2008-10-09, 07:10 PM
Obviously you've never been confounded with a dillemma of how to properly call someone a dumbass without doing so in any way that the moderators will take umbrage to. :)

Fortunately, I've managed to avoid a "Major - Flaming" infraction thus far. I still haven't figured out how to express that particular sentiment in an acceptable way, though.

skywalker
2008-10-09, 08:49 PM
Obviously you've never been confounded with a dillemma of how to properly call someone a dumbass without doing so in any way that the moderators will take umbrage to. :)

Fortunately, I've managed to avoid a "Major - Flaming" infraction thus far. I still haven't figured out how to express that particular sentiment in an acceptable way, though.

I think you can refer to most people who aren't members as dumbasses. In fact, I've seen instances where certain posters have called other poster's opinions stupid and not had any apparent penalty.

When it comes to calling other posters dumbasses, I think GITP actively cultivates a community of people who don't call each other dumbass. I think that's the idea.

Teron
2008-10-09, 10:53 PM
Not if it means that you'll have a better idea of what you've done and how to avoid acquiring another one later.
I know what I did - I just honestly didn't think it was offensive. Evidently, a moderator felt otherwise. Stupid disorder-impaired social skills *mumble grumble*

Talya
2008-10-09, 11:32 PM
When it comes to calling other posters dumbasses, I think GITP actively cultivates a community of people who don't call each other dumbass. I think that's the idea.

'Cultivates' is the wrong word.

'Restrains' is the right one. As I said, this restraint isn't a bad idea, but you can still feel all the emotion right there, in every other post people make, as they struggle not to post what they're really thinking...

Occasional Sage
2008-10-10, 12:15 AM

'Restrains' is the right one. As I said, this restraint isn't a bad idea, but you can still feel all the emotion right there, in every other post people make, as they struggle not to post what they're really thinking...

There is both good and bad in this.

A lot of people use the lack of face-to-face interaction on the internet as a blanket permission to say whatever they want to, regardless of normal societal constraints. I find this attitude obnoxious, hostile, and (generally speaking) it makes civil conversation too much effort to bother myself with.

Now, I don't for a moment think that's what you're inclined to do; a reasonable amount of snark when people are pushing buttons is cathartic. I like it, and IRL I'm rather good at finding ways to do it without getting the boss angry with me. But once I snark, there's a better-than-zero chance that things spiral down, and that's with societal mores restraining us. Thinking of those not being around, I think I understand why the mods are rather strict around here.

There with you, though. Every once in a while that slaad can sound awfully convincing....

AKA_Bait
2008-10-10, 08:45 AM

Of course I have. Very recently, in fact. :smallwink:

However, the desire to call someone a name is one of those two exceptions I mentioned: insulting another poster. I think it's better for everyone, including the would be insulter, to be in a position where they cannot simply attack the person espousing an idea but must instead respond to the merit of the idea itself.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-10, 07:11 PM

I think it is possible to find some examples where posts are made with such eloquence that that exact sentiment is expressed without being obvious or attraction the attention of moderators.
In other cases it is so plainly obvious that there is not really a need to express it it.

Instead of trying to express your negative emotions in a moderated public forum, where there is a chance that the subject of your thoughts is motivated to report your every wrong move, maybe you should consider if it is really necessary to express such strong emotions...
After you have put your son to bed you can tell your husband about this person with whom you had an encounter and express the full scale of your emotions, but why the need to jeopardize your ability to continue participating in this forum?
Seriously, if you ever felt that strongly about any of my posts i would much rather that you send me PM telling me just how wrong I am, rather than airing a lot of public insults that will take away focus from the argument at hand and possible result in infractions/warnings and possible closure of threads.

skywalker
2008-10-11, 01:03 AM
Seriously, if you ever felt that strongly about any of my posts i would much rather that you send me PM telling me just how wrong I am, rather than airing a lot of public insults that will take away focus from the argument at hand and possible result in infractions/warnings and possible closure of threads.

Note that PMs can be reported just like regular posts... So breaking the rules in a PM is just as bad...

I try not to put words in anyone's mouth, but Silvanos wants a polite PM telling him how wrong he is. At least, I think...

Oh, and btw, Silvanos is never wrong, so it's not an issue...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-11, 02:52 AM
Note that PMs can be reported just like regular posts... So breaking the rules in a PM is just as bad...

They can, but that would require that the receiver cared enough to actually do it.

I try not to put words in anyone's mouth, but Silvanos wants a polite PM telling him how wrong he is. At least, I think...

No, I am saying that I do not care if any PM I receive is polite. I would not report it as long as it actually had a point...

ghost_warlock
2008-10-11, 05:59 AM
Excluding religious/political comments (which don't really belong on a gaming forum).

Well, I'd say that they might have a place in such a place as Friendly Banter. And we certainly survey many other aspects of Playgrounders' lives (sexuality, mental health status, favorite this-and-that) without issue. I'd assume that the concern with these personal aspects is that they're typically extremely emotionally charged and people just can't seem to help commenting on/flaming people who hold different beliefs. :smallsigh:

Strangely enough, people have still expressed these sentiments (sometimes without apparent reprimand; e.g., scrubbing) in various posts, signatures, and usernames. Occasionally, it's a bit jarring to have the natural flow of a conversation disrupted because the discussion is venturing on banned topics. At the same time, sometimes people seem to think it's a good idea to bring these topics up for apparently no other reason than attempting to get a thread locked. :smallmad: I'm sure this sort of thing will earn an infraction, but I'd prefer to see the offensive posts scrubbed rather than the thread locked.

In the time I've been in the Playground, I've earned a single, zero-point yellow card infraction for venturing into an inappropriate topic. My post was nothing more than explaining the ideology behind a certain perspective on the topic. In retrospect, I should have just ignored the entire conversation, but since it was civil and there were no scrubbed posts or mod-posted warnings after a few hours, I figured it'd be okay to post and then I went off to do something else. By the time I returned I'd received an e-mail detailing my warning and several posts in the thread had been scrubbed. :smallfrown: Since this happened before the software change in '06, I am now saddled with a permanent yellow-card, zero-point infraction to remind me of my folly.

Basically, I've always seen the vast majority of rules here that effect real posters (rather than bots) a something that could be summed up as "treat the other members of the forum with respect." That's enforced by the mods without being draconian. The Playground is a much nicer place, the nicest place I have found on this here web, as a result.

Exactly, when someone says something that pisses me off or just seems downright dumb or ignorant I /facepalm, then I either just go read another thread or just find some chore to do around the house. Since this is pretty much the only forum I frequent, it's just not worth it to earn infractions and get banned.

Talya
2008-10-11, 08:18 AM

Oh, but i'd never call the beholder stupid. Ever! Just don't turn any of those eyestalks on me.

skywalker
2008-10-11, 01:25 PM
They can, but that would require that the receiver cared enough to actually do it.

No, I am saying that I do not care if any PM I receive is polite. I would not report it as long as it actually had a point...

That's what I get for trying to interpret for people :smallbiggrin:

*keeps mouth shut*

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-11, 05:09 PM
Oh, but i'd never call the beholder stupid. Ever! Just don't turn any of those eyestalks on me.

Is it ok if I just look? :smallamused:

That's what I get for trying to interpret for people :smallbiggrin:

*keeps mouth shut*

Well, at least you stressed that my personal note was not a suggestion to start flaming in PMs. :smalltongue:

And also, putting popcorn in my mouth has a far better taste texture than words. :smallcool:

Charity
2008-10-12, 06:09 PM

*breaks out his rude Thesaurus* This should be a larf...

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-10-12, 07:28 PM
Heh, I currently have an infraction for basically being overly helpful. :smallcool: I can't help it that I'm a bossy Leo and was "Vigilante Modding" against unmarked spoilers... :smallwink: anyway, case in point again-another example of getting infractionified unintentionally. :smallbiggrin: but you can bet that I'll just stay the heck away from the media board from now on... :smalltongue:

Cuddly
2008-10-12, 11:57 PM
Of course I have. Very recently, in fact. :smallwink:

However, the desire to call someone a name is one of those two exceptions I mentioned: insulting another poster. I think it's better for everyone, including the would be insulter, to be in a position where they cannot simply attack the person espousing an idea but must instead respond to the merit of the idea itself.

It just leads to more passive aggressive attacks, as evidenced in your post.

Charity
2008-10-13, 03:40 AM
Ooo ooo, do we get points for spotting Passive aggresiveness?

^ I'm pretty sure thats not what bait intended btw

AKA_Bait
2008-10-13, 09:14 AM

Mer? I wasn't attacking anyone...

For the record since I'm guessing this is where you are getting the passive agressiveness from: :smallwink: means I'm kidding.

skywalker
2008-10-13, 10:51 AM
*breaks out his rude Thesaurus* This should be a larf...

If there were one playgrounder who was still here who had a rude thesaurus, I would expect it to be you. And I find I really have no reason to think that, except your reputation precedes(did I use the right one thesaurs man?) you, I suppose.

Talya
2008-10-13, 12:44 PM

Which you'll also earn infractions for making.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-13, 03:55 PM
Of course, you never know who's the type to care.

Not without a signed affidavit, anyway. :smalltongue:

For the record since I'm guessing this is where you are getting the passive agressiveness from: :smallwink: means I'm kidding.
Oy, that's the problem with smilies. They're supposed to make this online communication easier as a substitute for tone of voice and other nonverbal cues. Bt then some people just use them differently than others, and you wind up right back where we started. :smallsigh:

AKA_Bait
2008-10-13, 03:59 PM
Oy, that's the problem with smilies. They're supposed to make this online communication easier as a substitute for tone of voice and other nonverbal cues. Bt then some people just use them differently than others, and you wind up right back where we started. :smallsigh:

At least we end up back where we started with the added bonus of colorful little faces to go along with our misinterpreted text. :smallbiggrin:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-13, 04:16 PM
Of course, you never know who's the type to care.

Not without a signed affidavit, anyway. :smalltongue:

No, it could all just be an entrapment rouse. :smallamused:

JaxGaret
2008-10-13, 04:18 PM
I've gotten three warnings/infractions on here (50 points total, all going to come off next month, woo hoo!), and I completely understand the reason behind all three, and agree that those posts merited them.

One of them was simply an error on my part, I PMed Roland about it, and he agreed, but left it on just as a private warning (it was 0 points anyway).

As a longtime poster on the Wizards boards, and completely sick and tired of the rampant trollfests that have taken over there in the past half year or so, I am very glad for a forum with the standards that GitP has and with the quality of posters that are here.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-13, 05:27 PM
At least we end up back where we started with the added bonus of colorful little faces to go along with our misinterpreted text. :smallbiggrin:
Well, there's an upside to everything. :smallsmile:

No, it could all just be an entrapment rouse. :smallamused:
That's why you wanna be sure of the affidavit's legal strength.

Skippy
2008-10-13, 10:02 PM
I am very glad for a forum with the standards that GitP has and with the quality of posters that are here.

Hear, hear!

I have been here for nearly two years now. I totally agree, this is, by far, the most enjoyable forum I've ever been (And I was mod once in a forum. I left it to die, because I tried to enforce some rules like the ones we have here and it was a total failure).

Congratulations to all, the Giant, the Mods and the Playgrounders, because we have one of the most awesome forums ever!

Stormthorn
2008-10-18, 11:58 AM
I was replying to a person (Arguskos) who said that they don't have enough experience to render an opinion on the subject at hand. I let him know that his opinion is valid, regardless of experience, & that being a veteran around here is beyond me, by my own standards.

Your a vet as soon as people recognise your name whenever you post.

This place is so heavily moderated, normal conversation is very difficult. You have to be a little angel to avoid infractions, and you'll still eventually get some. Try to be civil, and don't sweat it too much, so long as you don't accumulate enough to get banned.

It's like a conversation I had at the dinner table the other night:

Me (to my husband): What a frustrating day at work. Oh my, but that woman was stupid.
My 5-year-old: Mommy, don't say stupid. My teacher says it's a bad word.
Me: Oh. I see. Okay, she was dumb.
My 5-year-old: Dumb's a bad word, too.
Me: Idiot? Moron? A few cherries short of a fruit salad?
My 5-year-old: Idiot's a bad word, too...what were the others?
Me: How on Earth do they expect people to be able to voice the normal sentiment that other people are utterly devoid of functional brain activity if they don't let us say anything offensive?
Husband: I think that's the point.
Me: It's a stupid point.
My 5-year-old: Mommy! Don't say...

Your underestimate how heavily modded things are. I just got the waffles kicked out of me for a thread that i didnt intend to insult anyone with and that i was careful not to violate the rules with when i posted it.

If you dont want infractions then never start threads, never post pictures, do not have an avatar or sig, and never even respond to any conversation that they couldnt air on the disney channel.

Oh, and if i suddenly dissapear from the forums its cuz i got one more infraction and was hit by the banhammer. Problably for something i wasnt expecting to be punished for, like saying "Put that in your pipe and smoke it." only to have a mod tell me that my post was about illegal drugs or something.

I have been here for nearly two years now. I totally agree, this is, by far, the most enjoyable forum I've ever been (And I was mod once in a forum. I left it to die, because I tried to enforce some rules like the ones we have here and it was a total failure).

Well, it is an ok forum. We could have rules like the Escapist and that would be nice. See, the problem with outs is that if you have a ban day its possible to rack up 300 points in a single post. Someone says somehting that makes you snap and you post a whole thread in response, earnign yourself...lets say...Flaming, Mea Culpa, External Baggage, Inapropriate Topic, and Trolling. Your gone. If you mess up big enough or you mess up three seperate times in the space of two whole years, your gone.
A better system would be "Ok, you need to chill out." and ban you for a few days for each one of those and then a month or two if you rack up 300.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-10-19, 12:01 AM
Well, it is an ok forum. We could have rules like the Escapist and that would be nice. See, the problem with outs is that if you have a ban day its possible to rack up 300 points in a single post. Someone says somehting that makes you snap and you post a whole thread in response, earnign yourself...lets say...Flaming, Mea Culpa, External Baggage, Inapropriate Topic, and Trolling. Your gone.
Comrade Gorby: Actually, that's not accurate. When issuing Infractions, except in exceptional cases or the Mea Culpa Infraction (which has a specific set of circumstances laid out in the Forum Rules), we generally pick the most problematic feature as an Infraction and note any other issues in that Infraction. At no point has anyone been banned due to "one bad day" unless they grossly and repeatedly violated the rules, generally by tripping one of our Instant Ban offenses.

The only way someone is going to rack up 300 points in a single post is to something so absurdly out of bounds that it's almost assured to have strayed into Instant Ban territory anyways.

To be blunt, we (the mods) aren't looking for ways to Infract more people, or get people banned. Most of the time, if someone ends up banned, we view it as partly a failure on our part - not to say the poster wasn't responsible for their own actions and their consequences, but we certainly look back over what occurred to see if there's a way to prevent the same thing happening in the future. We don't like banning people (besides spammers). However, it's also sometimes necessary.

As far as temp bans, there are potential technical concerns that would have to be addressed first, and there are more pressing issues on that front. It is something we may consider, but we'd have to make a careful review of the Forum Rules to make sure there are clear guidelines for them before we did anything on that front.

LotharBot
2008-10-19, 12:34 AM
This is one of the strictest forums I've ever been on. It also has the most complex set of rules I've seen. I find these two are a bad combination -- there are a lot of surprising ways to get into fairly serious trouble, and not a lot of ways to get out of it other than "wait out the two years", which is pretty harsh. Still, it does keep the hostility and spamming down.

If you got an infraction you're uncertain about, PM the moderator. It's not likely that they'll reduce or eliminate it, but at least they'll give you a clear idea of why they considered your infraction to be as severe as they marked it.

Thankfully, vBulletin is a lot smarter than that. It will nicely collate and organise reports for the same post. Also, we don't receive PMs or emails for reports.

On some boards, you're expected to post "reported" to save others the trouble (and save mods the trouble of digging through 3 dozen PMs), and the moderators don't generally group that under the category of "responding to spam". I think it would help to spell this out explicitly in the rules: don't respond, not even to say it's been reported; since the software automatically groups the reports together, there's no harm in multiple people reporting.

Rockphed
2008-10-19, 01:28 AM
Lotharbot> It is in the rules. Okay, so it is only suggestions(though I seem to remember responding to advertising spam as an infraction.)

Reporting Posts
As a poster, the best way you can help the Moderators (besides following these Rules) is to report posts you see that are violating these Rules. You can do this by clicking on the Report Button (), which can be found in the user information box on each post (except Moderator posts). This will bring up a window where you can enter notes on what you think the violation may be.

This report is entered into a system where all Mods can see and review it, eliminating the need to contact a Mod directly. Multiple reports on a specific post are appended to the first, so do not worry that a post may have already been reported.

We strongly suggest you Report rule violations rather than respond to them, as responding may put you in violation of one of the Forum Rules.

Also,

Responding to Spam
If you see a Spam post, please Report it. DO NOT respond to it, even if your response is "This is spam!" or a similar variation. All this does is draw attention to the thread, furthering the spammer's goals, and potentially make it more difficult for a Moderator to correct the problem; it does not in any way help.

As to the rules being Labyrinthine and Obtuse, I don't think so. They pretty much devolve into "Be nice." On the other hand, the rules are incredibly long*glares at Rawhide* and gave me something of a headache the first time I read through them*Glares at the rest of the Mods*. I was rather afraid of expressing my internet personality at the time. Now I am too apathetic to carry on with the whole "Bow before me mortals, for I am the Revered and Resounding Rockphed, Reducer of Radium and Remover of Rocks!" shtick, even though I know almost nobody would complain.

Oregano
2008-10-19, 06:41 AM
Personally I find the rules fine, as long as you don't intentionally break them you should be fine. The strictest one is the religion/politics one because the subjects pop ups in nearly everything but a mod will kindly remind you not to discuss it if you accidently just start discussing it, they're nice like that.

I'm surprised I haven't been in trouble I use to be terrible on forums.

dish
2008-10-19, 10:23 AM
As to the rules being Labyrinthine and Obtuse, I don't think so. They pretty much devolve into "Be nice." On the other hand, the rules are incredibly long*glares at Rawhide* and gave me something of a headache the first time I read through them*Glares at the rest of the Mods*. I was rather afraid of expressing my internet personality at the time. Now I am too apathetic to carry on with the whole "Bow before me mortals, for I am the Revered and Resounding Rockphed, Reducer of Radium and Remover of Rocks!" shtick, even though I know almost nobody would complain.

Applauds mods. You have saved us from a fate worse than death! :smallwink:

Zeta Kai
2008-10-19, 10:24 AM
My behavior hasn't been stellar, either, but I'm much better here that I used to be on the old BBSs or on ICQ, back in the day. My only infractions here were for bad jokes that didn't go over well (a reminder to all: on the fora, no one can here your tone, so sarcasm is all but completely lost). Now, whenever I say things in a similar vein, I put a :smallwink: after my post. You'd be amazed what you can get away with when you add one of those. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-10-19, 12:50 PM
Now I am too apathetic to carry on with the whole "Bow before me mortals, for I am the Revered and Resounding Rockphed, Reducer of Radium and Remover of Rocks!" shtick, even though I know almost nobody would complain.
You mean pretty much what the_Q is doing now?

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-10-19, 03:25 PM
As to the rules being Labyrinthine and Obtuse, I don't think so. They pretty much devolve into "Be nice." On the other hand, the rules are incredibly long*glares at Rawhide*
Don't blame that on Rawhide...

Ego Slayer
2008-10-19, 04:12 PM
If you got an infraction you're uncertain about, PM the moderator.

Personal rant here... it was only a warning, but when I PM'd the mod who gave it to me, I got no response. It was only asking to see the offending post because I didn't have permission to view the post in the link given. After giving them a reasonable time to reply, it was no longer worth further effort. Maybe it irked me more that apparently I was warned for an offense I consciously had intended not to make. So much for trying. :smallyuk:

Lady Tialait
2008-10-19, 09:50 PM
Don't blame that on Rawhide...

I thought you can blame anything on Rawhide....he's that kinda guy! *tickles Rawhide playfully*

I have had no problems with the rules. I had a couple infraction a while back. I understood why. And, after they were pointed out to me..didn't do that anymore.

ForzaFiori
2008-10-19, 10:25 PM
I personally find that I agree with the forums rules, though I do disagree with one thing. I personally am against lumping all "flaming" into one group.

for instance, if I call someone stupid, or tell them to be quiet, its no where near as bad as if i go off on them and my post is over half asterisks. However, either one will net me a 2 year, 100 point violation. Just something I noticed (probably because of that pretty yellow flag i get to see every day for 2 years.)

skywalker
2008-10-19, 11:51 PM
I personally find that I agree with the forums rules, though I do disagree with one thing. I personally am against lumping all "flaming" into one group.

for instance, if I call someone stupid, or tell them to be quiet, its no where near as bad as if i go off on them and my post is over half asterisks. However, either one will net me a 2 year, 100 point violation. Just something I noticed (probably because of that pretty yellow flag i get to see every day for 2 years.)

Yeah, "shut up, you're stupid" doesn't really seem as bad as a bunch of cursing, then again, we don't see the cursing, we see asterisks. So the cursing probably doesn't get expressed quite correctly.

And telling someone "Your opinion is wrong and of no value, now be quiet" can be just as, or more hurtful, honestly.

ghost_warlock
2008-10-20, 12:55 AM

I don't have a problem with lumping flaming together, because a flame is still a flame regardless of the degree it's taken to.

As for your specific examples, calling people stupid, especially around here, is kind of silly since it's actually unlikely that members of this community are stupid. Evidence from various threads indicates an above-average IQ amongst members in the Playground. :smallsmile: (Smart people can still, occasionally, be wrong.)

And telling people to be quiet kind of contradicts the entire point of an online discussion forum, doesn't it? Usually, people are told to be quiet because they've either 1) offended someone else or 2) are perceived to be wrong. Both are much better dealt with in ways other than "SU,GO." :smallmad:

If someone offends you, go do something else for a while until you cool off and can respond without flaming. On the off-chance they they flamed you, just report the post and get on with your life.

If someone is wrong (on the internet), point out the points in their logic/knowledge that are flawed. Ad hominem attacks just make the flamer look like the 'stupid' one, anyway.

As for your little yellow card, be happy that it has a duration. Since I received my warning before the software switch, mine will never go away. :smallfrown:

Rawhide
2008-10-20, 02:44 AM
As for your little yellow card, be happy that it has a duration. Since I received my warning before the software switch, mine will never go away. :smallfrown:

Incorrect. Before the forum switch there was only one level which we called a 'warning', this has transferred now to an 'infraction', ie. a red card. If you have received a yellow card icon, it has to have been after the switch, which yours indeed is. Not only that, but all infractions which were issued prior the forum switch should have expired by now, as all pre-forum switch infractions, which were permanent, became 18 month infractions.

Your yellow card warning was not only received after the forum switch, but will expire in 2 months.

ghost_warlock
2008-10-20, 02:56 AM
Incorrect. Before the forum switch there was only one level which we called a 'warning', this has transferred now to an 'infraction', ie. a red card. If you have received a yellow card icon, it has to have been after the switch, which yours indeed is. Not only that, but all infractions which were issued prior the forum switch should have expired by now, as all pre-forum switch infractions, which were permanent, became 18 month infractions.

Your yellow card warning was not only received after the forum switch, but will expire in 2 months.

Wow, that's great news!

I wonder where I got the idea that it was permanent. :smallconfused:

ForzaFiori
2008-10-20, 04:52 AM
Wow, that's great news!

I wonder where I got the idea that it was permanent. :smallconfused:

probably from the fact that by the time it goes away, you can't remember what the exact offense was. :smallsmile:

ghost_warlock
2008-10-20, 05:37 AM
probably from the fact that by the time it goes away, you can't remember what the exact offense was. :smallsmile:

Oh, I remember. I'll always remember. That's just the sort of bloke I am! :smallwink: Besides, I still have the e-mail about it from Roland-in-mod-mode to serve as a constant reminder to myself.

Knaight
2008-10-20, 08:07 AM
As for your specific examples, calling people stupid, especially around here, is kind of silly since it's actually unlikely that members of this community are stupid. Evidence from various threads indicates an above-average IQ amongst members in the Playground. :smallsmile: (Smart people can still, occasionally, be wrong.)

Of course, IQ has a questionable accuracy at best, and its all relative anyways. IQ basically measures the ability to quickly find patterns, which comes down to abotu three out of at least seventy two aspects of intelligence. Not only that, it is all relative, if, hypothetically I was smarter than you, I could call you an idiot without it being silly, as you could an average person. But yes, it seems that there is a majority of intelligent people here, comparing this forum with most videogame forums proves that, there is way more intelligent discussion, debate, and even better sentence structure, capitalization, and spelling.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-20, 08:14 AM
Now, whenever I say things in a similar vein, I put a :smallwink: after my post. You'd be amazed what you can get away with when you add one of those. :smallbiggrin:

Hey man, don't blow my cover. :smallwink:

Oh the meta, it burns it burns!

ghost_warlock
2008-10-20, 08:42 AM
Not only that, it is all relative, if, hypothetically I was smarter than you, I could call you an idiot without it being silly, as you could an average person.

Nope! Calling me an idiot if I'm an average person is still silly because people of average intelligence aren't idiots. You being smarter than me doesn't magically make me an idiot.

Idiot (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/idiot)
1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.
2. Psychology. a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

I realize that I'm using technical definitions here, and not what is perhaps a common-usage interpretation of the word, but the point is that being smarter than someone doesn't give you the right to insult them.

(Besides, I was hoping it was obvious that I was using "IQ" as a shorter method of referring to generalized intelligence.)

NerfTW
2008-10-20, 08:56 AM
Nope! Calling me an idiot if I'm an average person is still silly because people of average intelligence aren't idiots. You being smarter than me doesn't magically make me an idiot.

2. Psychology. a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

I realize that I'm using technical definitions here, and not what is perhaps a common-usage interpretation of the word, but the point is that being smarter than someone doesn't give you the right to insult them.

(Besides, I was hoping it was obvious that I was using "IQ" as a shorter method of referring to generalized intelligence.)

Shouldn't that be 75? I thought an intelligence under 70 was unable to function at all.

ghost_warlock
2008-10-20, 09:47 AM
Shouldn't that be 75? I thought an intelligence under 70 was unable to function at all.

Not according to the wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot) (disability section more-or-less agrees with Dictionary.com).

skywalker
2008-10-20, 11:00 AM
These days, we classify anyone under 75, I think, as mentally handicapped.

Forrest Gump was implied to have an IQ under 75, altho just how far was not particularly said, if I remember correctly.

Knaight
2008-10-20, 05:04 PM

First, reread the quote I said as you could an average person, not as you are an average person. I'm not flaming or anything, furthermore, to a genius an average person looks like number 1 of that definition, hence the possibility to view nearly everybody as an idiot, even as that necessitates that being average. As for IQ, its definitely either 70 or 75, both of which it is totally possible to be under while being a savant.

ghost_warlock
2008-10-20, 11:01 PM
First, reread the quote I said as you could an average person, not as you are an average person. I'm not flaming or anything, furthermore, to a genius an average person looks like number 1 of that definition, hence the possibility to view nearly everybody as an idiot, even as that necessitates that being average. As for IQ, its definitely either 70 or 75, both of which it is totally possible to be under while being a savant.

Meh, I wasn't reading your post as a flame; I figured you were simply using the you/me scenario as an example. :smallsmile:

Still, though, even if you are a genius and think almost everyone is an idiot, calling them idiots in your posts (no matter how justified you may feel in doing so) isn't a good idea as it will be viewed as a flame. When the supposed genius resorts to name-calling, the tables are turned because violating the forum rules and risking getting banned is the truly idiotic thing to do! :smalltongue:

And, yeah, the IQ ratings listed in the Dictionary.com and wikipedia examples aren't currently in use for diagnosis and whatnot, but they are historically accurate figures from back-in-the-day. :smallwink:

Serpentine
2008-10-21, 03:38 AM
If you dont want infractions then never start threads, never post pictures, do not have an avatar or sig, and never even respond to any conversation that they couldnt air on the disney channel.I've done every one of those, and I haven't received a single warning or infraction yet. Perhaps you should turn your critical eye upon yourself?

Zherog
2008-10-21, 09:25 AM
I've done every one of those, and I haven't received a single warning or infraction yet. Perhaps you should turn your critical eye upon yourself?

Indeed, so have I - including starting a thread a bit over a year ago about body piercings and body art. And even with the potential risque nature of that topic, I've managed to stay warning-free.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-21, 09:40 AM
Indeed, so have I - including starting a thread a bit over a year ago about body piercings and body art. And even with the potential risque nature of that topic, I've managed to stay warning-free.

Same here. In fact, other than posting pictures, I do all of them on an at least weekly basis.

Tirian
2008-10-21, 10:25 AM
Still, though, even if you are a genius and think almost everyone is an idiot, calling them idiots in your posts (no matter how justified you may feel in doing so) isn't a good idea as it will be viewed as a flame.

That's because it is a flame. It is a personal attack, which is to say that it is an attack on a person.

Check out the following three statements, and determine which is the most illuminating:

You are an idiot.
Your idea is idiotic.
Your idea is flawed for the following reasons: ....

It is mildly ironic, but the third is the most damning (because it is the one that readers are most able to agree or disagree with), but at the same time it is the least offensive (because it offers specific points that can be either defended or conceded). The other two (and especially the first) can only be countered with "No, I'm not" or "So's your face!" or whatever which is unproductive for both rhetoric and the civility of our common meeting space.

GoC
2008-10-22, 02:44 PM

I've noticed this a lot in morality, Miko and vs., threads.

Your a vet as soon as people recognise your name whenever you post.

Speaking of which, how many people recognize mine?

Castaras
2008-10-22, 03:28 PM
I did.

Although I can remember names easily if I read them. So don't take my opinion for granted.

Occasional Sage
2008-10-22, 04:23 PM
Comrade Gorby:

*snip*

To be blunt, we (the mods) aren't looking for ways to Infract more people, or get people banned. Most of the time, if someone ends up banned, we view it as partly a failure on our part - not to say the poster wasn't responsible for their own actions and their consequences, but we certainly look back over what occurred to see if there's a way to prevent the same thing happening in the future. We don't like banning people (besides spammers). However, it's also sometimes necessary.

As far as temp bans, there are potential technical concerns that would have to be addressed first, and there are more pressing issues on that front. It is something we may consider, but we'd have to make a careful review of the Forum Rules to make sure there are clear guidelines for them before we did anything on that front.

I appreciate the way that moding is viewed around here. I like that you want to keep people around and expend your own time to be as helpful and reasonable as possible, rather than making things quick and simple by simply setting fire to peoples' accounts. In my mind, it helps to foster the generally-polite and sociable tone of GitP, which is... unusual to find.

Roland St. Jude
2008-10-22, 04:52 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Okay, I think this thread has run its course. The original question has been answered and the thread's gone off into who's a vet and what is the medical definition of an idiot.

Before I lock this thread though, let me just reiterate that even if the other poster was verifiably an idiot (let's say they told you so in an idiotically written email in which they gave you their medical records indicating that they are, in fact, an idiot), you still can't call them that here. True or not, we don't want posters insulting each other. It doesn't make for a very pleasant atmosphere.

And on the original question, in coordination with what Comrade Gorby said, please do PM one of us, if you have any questions about our actions whether in a thread or in a personal Warning/Infraction - or really any questions you have about the board. We're here to help.