PDA

View Full Version : Eberron advice

insecure
2008-09-16, 11:16 AM
I'm going to start a new campaign, set in Eberron. I love the setting, but this is my first time I DM a campaign in Eberron instead of playing in one. Note that this isn't my first time DMing a D&D game, just an Eberron game.

Now, what I want to know is; what common pitfalls should I try to avoid? Which mistakes should I be aware of? What should I keep in mind while I'm running this?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :smallsmile:

Eldmor
2008-09-16, 11:27 AM
Allow lots of freedom for the magitech in cities. Especially if there is an Artificer in the party, they're sure to start inventing stuff within a few sessions.
Feel free to use Psionics like a wet noodle trap. Slapping on a mind-altering corridor/chamber will keep the party entertained for hours.
If you're running dry on hooks, there's always The Dreaming Dark waiting to %$^ something up. And the Mournlands. Oh boy, the Mournlands.
Try to either go for high magitech wonder or magepunk grit, the in-between isn't pretty. Ironically, Sharn is a good starting point for either mood.

Keld Denar
2008-09-16, 11:27 AM
Keep your players as far from Jaela as possible.

Other than that, not really. See if you can play up some political intrigue between the different kingdoms, there's a couple of books that go into great detail about who likes who and who doesn't.

Oh, and you gotta gotta gotta have a lightrail robbery. Oldschool style, with masks and 6-shot repeating hand crossbows and REALLY big hats.

Uin
2008-09-16, 11:32 AM
Likewise, I'll be running my first Eberron (and 3.5e, I've headed Saga and 4e previously) game this week. I'm going to start off with the ECS adventure and use a mix of my own stuff and published modules thereafter.

insecure
2008-09-16, 11:46 AM
Oh, and you gotta gotta gotta have a lightrail robbery. Oldschool style, with masks and 6-shot repeating hand crossbows and REALLY big hats.

Of course. :smallsmile: I've already thought of that for a long time.

ShaggyMarco
2008-09-16, 11:58 AM
Also, get really ridiculous with different factions.

EVERY organization, group, or villain should probably be an agent for or a puppet of at least 2-3 different groups.

For instance: I ran Red Hand of Doom in Eberron (Breland's border with Darguun), but had the Hobgoblin army be an ally of the Lesh Haruuc (I think that's his name) that was secretly an agents of the Chamber who had become corrupted by the Lords of Dust.

The leader of the army had made an alliance with the Lord of Blades to augment his army with Warforged. The Lord of Blades kept the alliance only because the hobgoblin knew and was searching for the key component to an ancient eldritch machine that the LoBster needed for one of his plans.

Other agents of the Chamber tried to help the PCs expose the "Tak-Hazziz Heresey" of their guardians in the nearby mountains--but they couldn't act against them directly. Also, there was a Draconic Prophecy involved.

The Pcs also got a chance to find an old werewolf who was part of a werewolf colony who descended from Silver Flame crusaders who eliminated a Lycanthrope threat in the area decades ago...and were left behind when they contracted lycanthropy themselves.

I left out the Dreaming Dark, Blood of Vol, and lots of other organizations. They make for great tie-ins for later (and earlier advantures).

insecure
2008-09-16, 12:17 PM
Also, get really ridiculous with different factions.

EVERY organization, group, or villain should probably be an agent for or a puppet of at least 2-3 different groups.

For instance: I ran Red Hand of Doom in Eberron (Breland's border with Darguun), but had the Hobgoblin army be an ally of the Lesh Haruuc (I think that's his name) that was secretly an agents of the Chamber who had become corrupted by the Lords of Dust.

The leader of the army had made an alliance with the Lord of Blades to augment his army with Warforged. The Lord of Blades kept the alliance only because the hobgoblin knew and was searching for the key component to an ancient eldritch machine that the LoBster needed for one of his plans.

Other agents of the Chamber tried to help the PCs expose the "Tak-Hazziz Heresey" of their guardians in the nearby mountains--but they couldn't act against them directly. Also, there was a Draconic Prophecy involved.

The Pcs also got a chance to find an old werewolf who was part of a werewolf colony who descended from Silver Flame crusaders who eliminated a Lycanthrope threat in the area decades ago...and were left behind when they contracted lycanthropy themselves.

I left out the Dreaming Dark, Blood of Vol, and lots of other organizations. They make for great tie-ins for later (and earlier advantures).

Sounds like a lot of work.:smalltongue:

ShaggyMarco
2008-09-16, 12:57 PM
It's actually really easy if you familiarize yourself with the various organizations. You'll start to see their patterns and motivations, and when a plot presents itself to you, you'll start to realize who (and sometimes, how many whos) would likely have a hand in it.

Race to get a Magical Artifact Dagger of an ancient Hobgoblin Necromancer-King?

Of course the Pcs are likely working for Morgrave University (or a Dragonmarked house?) It's a Goblinoid artifact, so that means they will have to deal with Lesh Haruuc's agents. They will probably act fairly straightforward and brutally, with a fair amount of not-so-sophisticated under-handedness...like Indiana Jones Nazis. They will also probably have to deal with agents of The Blood of Vol/Order of the Emerald Claw. These guys can be more insidious, very Knights Templar-esque with their cults and factions within factions.

Then you set up situations where the PCs either have to fight TWO major groups of enemies (nevermind the horrors of Khyber guarding the blasted dagger), or make deals with an obvious evil and risk being stabbed in the back.

Fun is had by all!

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-16, 01:04 PM
That's the fun part about Eberron. It's positively brimming with conspiracies that are even useful in a non-conpiracy-oriented game. Just make sure you can keep the "who's working for whom while betraying them to whom" straight, or do it more straightforwardly.

Common pitfalls I'd like to point out.
The Church of the Silver Flame is not, in fact, evil. Most of them are just people trying to do as Good as they can. Inquisitions and Cardinals Richelieu are the exception, not the rule.
Warforged are living androids, not mindless, programmed robots. Those are golems.
Changelings rock, hard. If you're dealing with Changelings, though, make sure you read up carefully on the limitations and effects of Disguise Self.
They're not just magic trains. They're magic MagLev trains.
All of this (http://www.angelfire.com/dragon3/captainjarlot/index.html)

insecure
2008-09-16, 03:34 PM
All of this (http://www.angelfire.com/dragon3/captainjarlot/index.html)

That's simply the work of a genius.:smallsmile:

bosssmiley
2008-09-16, 03:50 PM

Why? Everyone loev Loli-Pope! :smallbiggrin:

Don't overwhelm players new to the setting by throwing it all at them at once. Maybe use only a couple of the iconic elements of the setting per adventure. This particularly applies to the dozens of factions in the setting. Use too many too quickly and they all start to blur together... :disorientedsmile:

That caveat given you should actively embrace the sheer cheesy pulpy-ness of Eberron. Recurring villains are always good. Cultural clichés are always fun. Oh, and moving between exotic adventure locations via Jonesian red line-portation to the accompaniment of rousing hero music is _mandatory_.

kamikasei
2008-09-16, 04:00 PM
Oh, and moving between exotic adventure locations via Jonesian red line-portation to the accompaniment of rousing hero music is _mandatory_.

Gasp!

This is the excuse I've needed to get/make a laminated map of Eberron.

insecure
2008-09-16, 04:03 PM
I just read who Jaela was. Know I understand a lot more...

Danin
2008-09-16, 04:06 PM
I get to run my crazy lightning rail event next session. The PCs are evil and are trying to steal a medalion from Boranil, daughter of the king of Breeland that she has to give up willingly. While they try and convince her to give it up, she is attacked by Korvarrian nationalists who try and kill her and bandits raid the train to try and take her prisoner. Between the PCs, the Guards, the Bandits and the Nationalists it should turn out pretty interesting.

Note though, the PCs arn't the subtle type. One wears full plate made out of the corpses of the priests of the Silver flame is kills...

Tokiko Mima
2008-09-16, 04:21 PM
Before anyone asks, they errata'ed away the trick you could use with the Siberys Mark of Making. It costs XP just like the spell, but unlike normal SLA's and other Dragonmarks. No free and infinite true creation of tons of platinum, dragonshards and anything else valuable.

Keld Denar
2008-09-16, 04:27 PM
I just read who Jaela was. Know I understand a lot more...

Rule # 98424795
I will not erect a gargantuan water clock counting down the time until Jaela is a legal consenting adult. (especially not one that counts in seconds!)

mayonase
2008-09-16, 04:39 PM
I'll say this, though it is up for debate: Low Level PCs are the way to go in Eberron. By 6th Level, your PCs should be able to thrash anyone they come up against, and all those train-robbery situations get too easy anytime after that as well. Just a thought.

I'll also second those who have advised embracing the pulp cheese opportunities. Airship pirates raiding the City of Towers with Warforged Titans rampaging through the streets below? Yes.

Frosty
2008-09-16, 04:52 PM

Why? She sees the future. So what?

Keld Denar
2008-09-16, 05:22 PM
Why? She sees the future. So what?

Did you read the rules someone posted?

Read the rules! You'll understand

Frosty
2008-09-16, 05:31 PM
Did you read the rules someone posted?

Read the rules! You'll understand

And what are the rules exactly? I saw *one* rule.

Keld Denar
2008-09-16, 05:36 PM
5. All of this (http://www.angelfire.com/dragon3/captainjarlot/index.html)

Check out the link in note 5. Be prepared to spend the rest of the day reading through the 80+ pages of material there, and please keep all available liquids out of hands reach, you will invariably spit them out or knock them over from laughing.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-16, 05:37 PM
5. All of this (http://www.angelfire.com/dragon3/captainjarlot/index.html)Pay attention.

Frosty
2008-09-16, 05:57 PM
I've read parts of the list so far...still not getting why Jaela would be a danger to the party.

kpenguin
2008-09-16, 06:09 PM
Eberron is by far my favorite DnD setting. It's one of the reasons I'm not picking up much 4e at the moment, since while Eberron is being updated to 4e, it was designed with 3.5 rules in mind. It just works very well in 3.5.

Anyway, try to get the PCs headquartered somwhere in Sharn. For instance, the PCs I'm DMing currently live in a small section of a tower in Sharn with a gnomish butler they're sheltering from certain criminal elements. It just gives the characters a sense of home which they might care about more than if they're just wandering explorers.

I'd also advise against taking the conspiracies and scheming and such too far. While it is the bloodlife of Eberron, it can be a fresh breath of air knowing someone is exactly who they claim to be.

I've read parts of the list so far...still not getting why Jaela would be a danger to the party.

Jaela wouldn't be a danger to the party. The party would be a danger to Jaela's... dignity.

Frosty
2008-09-16, 06:11 PM
Any insults that the party throws at Jaela will be met by the combined might of the paladins of the Silver Flame would it not?

d-dave
2008-09-16, 06:11 PM
I love Eberron so enjoy the setting. It's funny, silly and as dark as you want it.

Low level PCs are fun to build into heroes. What I would do past 6th level is to consider Xen'Drik and Argonessian. Those are two great high level locals for PCs with tons of easy story access. Another place is Sarlona. Great for full level range with reality storms and tons of psychic action to tie into the geo-political struggle of the riderians and Adar.

You can also keep your folks on Khorvaire struggling with all manners of undead, powerful groups, royal lines, etc. It's up to your creativeness to continue to challenge your PCs. I personally never have a problem with modifying canon to fit my games.

Keld Denar
2008-09-16, 06:13 PM

Not FROM Jaela, TO Jaela.

And I quote:

285. "Why don't you come back to my place and exercize the demon?" is *not* anything resebling a good pick up line, and may not be used on any cleric, paladin, or priest of any religion.

286. Especially if you're a Tiefling or Half-Fiend.

287. Especially not Jaela.

This is only the tip of the Jaela iceberg you'll unleash if you allow your players to encounter her. Do a ctr + f for Jaela to find more reasons...

Gorbash
2008-09-16, 06:38 PM
since while Eberron is being updated destroyed to 4e

Fixed it for you.

My advice for campaigning in Eberron - do not hesitate on allowing the party to be evil. Anyone's a magificent bastard there, anyway.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-16, 06:45 PM
I played an evil Eberron game once where we didn't get to do anything evil. Stupid railroad plot.

Although I did manage to destroy civilization with a well-placed Baleful Utterance, even though it was just abetting said railroad plot.

And good news (probably): Eberron isn't getting any metaplot advancement of major fluff changes in the 4th Edition upgrade. I assume there will be a spot for the Dragonborn made (possibly replacing the lizardfolk of Qbarra or getting dropped in next to the barbarians of Seren), and differentiation between Elf and Eladrin (and Aerenal/Valenar elves were pretty divergent already).

Gorbash
2008-09-16, 06:48 PM
Never presume Wotc isn't capable of destroying everything you hold dear. :smalltongue:

Frosty
2008-09-16, 06:48 PM
Not FROM Jaela, TO Jaela.

And I quote:

This is only the tip of the Jaela iceberg you'll unleash if you allow your players to encounter her. Do a ctr + f for Jaela to find more reasons...

Yeah, but she's like 11 from what I've read.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-16, 06:57 PM
Oh right. I forgot you were the innocent one in the club.

I'll explain it to you. Have a seat. Just...have a seat right over there.

kpenguin
2008-09-16, 06:58 PM
Yeah, but she's like 11 from what I've read.

Okay, either you really are that innocent (unlikely) or you're being deliberately obtuse.

Frosty
2008-09-16, 06:59 PM
Oh right. I forgot you were the innocent one in the club.

I'll explain it to you. Have a seat. Just...have a seat right over there.

Is this the type of explanation that involves the mythical land of 4chan? :smallannoyed:

GrassyGnoll
2008-09-16, 07:25 PM
Bah, Thrane.

The question is, Karrnath, great pseudo-Nazi country or greatest pseudo-Nazi country?

Keld Denar
2008-09-16, 07:45 PM
Bah, Thrane.

The question is, Karrnath, great pseudo-Nazi country or greatest pseudo-Nazi country?
See Below...

6. There will be NO referring to King Kaius as Mein Furher or goosestepping to his orders.

7. Even if he speaks in a thick German accent.

8. Even if the secret service wears jack boots.

9. Even if they're seeking the Ark.

10. ALRIGHT, THEY'RE NAZIS...SWEET TIRA MIRRON.

109. Sieg Heil is not the correct manner of greeting King Kaius.

151. Being from Karrnath is not reason enough to wear a German barmaid's outfit.

152. Especially if you are a man.

267. It is wrong to linger in King Kaius' undead harem.

Teron
2008-09-16, 11:29 PM
And good news (probably): Eberron isn't getting any metaplot advancement of major fluff changes in the 4th Edition upgrade. I assume there will be a spot for the Dragonborn made (possibly replacing the lizardfolk of Qbarra or getting dropped in next to the barbarians of Seren), and differentiation between Elf and Eladrin (and Aerenal/Valenar elves were pretty divergent already).
Divergent nothing - this ain't Faerun. Making them different - but related - cultures of the same goddamn race was not an accident! I'm disturbed by the mere thought of replacing Q'barra's settlers/Poison Dusk/Cold Sun/Blackscale dynamic with dragonborn, and I don't want to know how WotC will probably butcher the Lords of Dust in the process of shoving tieflings into the setting.

Of course I'm not worried, merely disgusted, since I wouldn't touch $th - er, 4th - Edition (I actually pressed Shift by accident and found it amusingly appropriate) with a ten-foot pole. Anyway, shortly after the original setting book's release, Races of Eberron started a tradition of Eberron material being highly variable in quality; I hold to the belief that using nothing but the ECSB and maybe some of the fluff you can pick up just by reading message boards is as good a way as any to run an Eberron game.

Anyway, back to talking about real D&D: mayonase, if you're really having trouble running an Eberron game above 6th level, you're underestimating what you've got to work with. High-level NPC's don't populate entire cities, but they do exist, pretty much every organization worth naming has some on its payroll, and quite a few of them and/or the factions they work for will take notice of the PC's just because of whatever activities got them to 6th level. Not to mention the Lords of Dust and the Dreaming Dark, who are known to make DM's wonder how to use them in a campaign without TPK'ing the party as soon as it gets the fiends' attention.