PDA

View Full Version : Sword Ranger Base Class(3.5 ed)

Kroy
2008-09-16, 12:32 PM
This is my first real attempt to create a class, so be nice

Sword Ranger
“Paladins may get the glory, and rogues the gold, but sword rangers get the skill"-Kroy, Master Sword Ranger

Abilities: The most important ability for sword rangers is easily dexterity. It determines there chance to hit, and it helps make up for not being able to use heavy armor or tower shields. Strength increases damage, and wisdom determines his ablity to use mystic.

Races: Humans are the most likely race to take the sword ranger class. Elves often choose the way of the sword ranger, as they make good swordsman, and are natueral mages. Dwarves, Gnomes, Half Orcs, and Half Eves don't usaully become sword rangers. Halflings make surprisingly good sword rangers, commonly focusing on the more subtle aspect of the class, often multiclassing with rogue.

Alignment: A sword ranger can be of any alignment.

Hit Die: D8

Class Skills: The sword rangers’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

Skills Per Level: 4+ Intelligence modifier (x4 at 1st level)

Sword Ranger
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Mystic|Special

1st|+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|-|Sneak Attack +1d6

2nd|+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|-| Fast movement

3rd|+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|-| Sneak attack +2d6

4th|+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|20| Dueling, Mystic

5th|+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|25|

6th|+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|31| +3d6 Sneak attack

7th|+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|38|

8th|+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|46| Sneak attack +4d6

9th|+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3|55| Evasion

10th|+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|65|Sneak attack +5d6

11th|+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+3|76|

12th|+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+4|88| Improved Evasion

13th|+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+4|101| Sneack attack +6d6

14th|+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+4|115|

15th|15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+5|130|Sneak attack +7d6

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+5|146|

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|163|Sneak attack +8d6

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|181|

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|200|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|220|Sneak attack +9d6[/table]
Class Features: All of the following are class features of the Sword Ranger

Weapons And Armor Proficiency: Sword Rangers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all shields exept tower shields, and light and medium armor.

Mystic: At fourth level, a sword ranger gains access to mystic. Multiply your Wis bonus(if any) by 1/2 your class level(round down), add that number to the mystic on table above, thats how much mystic you have. Using mystic is a supernatural ability that requres a free action. You may use mystic as many times in one round as you like, provided you have the mystic.
You may use mystic to either buff you or your weapon for 1 round plus 1 for every point of Wis over ten. To replenish your mystic, you must either rest for 12 hours, or wait a week.
{table=head]Mystic cost|Effect
2|+1 to one skill check
3|+1 on one attack or damage roll
5|+1 to attack or damage
10|+1 to attack and damage
15|+1 to AC, or +1d6 damage
20|Defending, 1d8 healing or Flaming
25|Increase Base land speed by 10, double duration
30|Flaming Burst or Wounding
35|+2 Dex or Str
40|Speed
[/table]

Sneak attack: (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Sneak_attack) As rogue ability(PHB)

Fast Movement: Your base land speed increases by 10ft. when wearing medium, light, or no armor.

Dueling: Choose a one handed slahing weapon, you may now use your dexterity bonus to attack rolls when using that weapon.

Evasion: (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Evasion_and_Improved_Evasion) As rogue ability(PHB)

Improved Evasion: (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Evasion_and_Improved_Evasion) As rogue ability(PHB)

Please comment on what can be done to improve this class.

Kellus
2008-09-16, 01:50 PM
This is my first real attempt to create a class, so be nice

Well, it's an interesting take on the ranger to be sure. Let's see what we've got.

Sword Ranger
“The elite swordsmen, focusing on dexterity and skill over brute force"

Abilities: The most important ability for sword rangers is easily dexterity. It determines there chance to hit, and it helps make up for not being able to use heavy armor or tower shields. Strength increases damage, and wisdom determines his ablity to cast spells.

Races: Humans are the most likely race to take the sword ranger class. Elves often choose the way of the sword ranger, as they make good swordsman, and are natueral mages. Dwarves, Gnomes, Half Orcs, and Half Eves don't usaully become sword rangers. Halflings make surprisingly good sword rangers, commonly focusing on the more subtle aspect of the class, often multiclassing with rogue.

Alignment: A sword ranger can be of any alignment, most commonly LG. CG, or NE.

I think you might want to think about the fluff here. Are they elite swordsmen, or woodsmen, or spellcasters? It doesn't really make much sense.

Hit Die: D8

Class Skills: The acronist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex) Jump (Str), Knowledge (Engineering), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

Skills Per Level: 4+ Intelligence modifier (x4 at 1st level)

Lowercase d for Hit Die, and you've got acronist instead of sword ranger in your skill list.

Sword Ranger
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Spell Points|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|-| 1st Favored Enemy, Track, Sneack Attack +1d6

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|-| Fast movement

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|-| Sneack attack +2d6

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|20| Dueling

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|25| 2nd Favored Enemy

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|31| +3d6 Sneack attack

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|38|

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|46| Swift Tracker, sneack attack +4d6

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3|55| Evasion

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|65| 3rd Favored Enemy, Sneack attack +5d6

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+3|76|

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+4|88|

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+4|101| Camouflage, Sneack attack +6d6

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+4|115|

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+5|130| 4th Favored Enemy, Sneack attack +7d6

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+5|146|

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|163| Hide in Plain Sight, Sneack attack +8d6

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|181|

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|200|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|220| Favored Enemy, Sneack attack +9d6[/table]

Sneak attack only has one c in it. Also, the spell points listed on the chart don't make any sense considering the Spell Points class feature. What is the point of the column on the table?

Class Features: All of the following are class features of the Sword Ranger

Weapons And Armor Proficiency: Sword Rangers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all shields exept tower shields, and light armor and medium armor.

Spell points: At fourth level, a sword ranger gains access to spell points. Multiply your Wis bonus(if any) by 1/2 your class level, you gain that many spell points. Using spell points is a free action, that does not provoke an attack of opprtunity.
You may use spell points to either buff you or your weapon for 1 round per caster level(1/3 of sword ranger level, rounded down)

{table=head]Point cost|Effect
5|+1 to attack or damage
10|+1 to attack and damage
15|+1 to AC
20|Bane, Defending or Flaming
25|Increase Base land speed by 10, double duration
30|Flaming Burst or Wounding
35|+2 Dex or Str
40|Speed
[/table]

How often do you regain spell points?

What kind of bonus does it apply to your attack and damage, etc. (enhancement, competence...)? What kind of bonus to your Strength and Dexterity?

What happens if you have a negative Wisdom modifier; do you have negative spell points?

Free actions never provoke attacks of opportunity.

If it's a free action to spend them, can you activate more than one effect on the same turn?

Caster level really only applies if you cast spells. You could easily say that 'this effect lasts for 1 round/3 class levels' instead.

What kind of effect is this? Supernatural? Spell-like?

Favored enemy: As ranger ability(PHB)

If you're not going to spell out what it does, at least give a page reference. Alternatively, as this is the internet, you could give a link to the ability. This should probably be specified as an extraordinary ability.

Track: At first level, you gain track as a bonus feat

Feat names are capitalized. I know this may sound picky, but it really does help it look more professional.

Sneack attack: As rogue ability(PHB)

Again, only one c in sneak attack. Again, write it out, page reference, or link. Again, extraordinary in nature.

Fast Movement: Your base land speed increases by 10ft. when wearing medium, light, or no armor.

Better. Tack on the extraordinary tag, though.

Dueling: Choose one: Longsword, Rapier, Scimitar, or a Falchion. You may use your dexterity instead of strengnth on attack rolls with chosen weapon.

Cumbersome. Why not just say that you gain the effects of the Weapon Finesse feat and can apply it to one-handed slashing weapons? Also, (Ex).

Swift Tracker: As ranger ability(PHB)

Evasion: As rogue ability(PHB)

Camouflage: As ranger ability(PHB)

Hide in Plain Sight:As ranger ability(PHB)

See above notes.

It's an interesting class, but it feels like just a mix of ranger and rogue, with ranger spells replaced with a magical buffing system. You might want to consider changing it to a prestige class, or giving it some unique characteristic to differentiate it from other classes; to make it special.

Good work! :smallsmile:

Gribsdawg
2008-09-16, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure if its just me, but having Bane be the amount of spell points it is seems slightly too strong. Since you know which bane you will have to use, it will always be at its most powerful. Just my 2cp though.

Kroy
2008-09-16, 04:00 PM
Well, it's an interesting take on the ranger to be sure. Let's see what we've got.

I think you might want to think about the fluff here. Are they elite swordsmen, or woodsmen, or spellcasters? It doesn't really make much sense.

Swordsmen

Lowercase d for Hit Die, and you've got acronist instead of sword ranger in your skill list.

K, and I used the acronist for the chart, my bad

Sneak attack only has one c in it. Also, the spell points listed on the chart don't make any sense considering the Spell Points class feature. What is the point of the column on the table?

Thats how much points you get, you add it with your bonus points

How often do you regain spell points?

Havn't decided, most likely weekly, since you get alot

What kind of bonus does it apply to your attack and damage, etc. (enhancement, competence...)? What kind of bonus to your Strength and Dexterity?

Enhancement for both

What happens if you have a negative Wisdom modifier; do you have negative spell points?

No

Free actions never provoke attacks of opportunity.

Oh

If it's a free action to spend them, can you activate more than one effect on the same turn?

ya, I thought I typed that

Caster level really only applies if you cast spells. You could easily say that 'this effect lasts for 1 round/3 class levels' instead.

What kind of effect is this? Supernatural? Spell-like?

Supernatural

I'll fix it later, I have alot of homework, thanks for advice

Shadic
2008-09-16, 04:08 PM
First of all, oh my god, spell check, please.

I can't say much about balance, but this is just a washed-up mix of Ranger and Fighter, yes?

Kroy
2008-09-16, 04:18 PM
I just got a new computer, I can't figure out how to turn spell check on.

and yes

edit: redid it a bit, how does it look now?

Kroy
2008-09-16, 04:48 PM
anybody have a better name for spell points?

Zeta Kai
2008-09-16, 05:49 PM
anybody have a better name for spell points?

Mana Points?

Potentia?

Arcanics?

Kroy
2008-09-16, 09:57 PM
How does it look now?

Fiery Diamond
2008-09-17, 01:51 PM
Looks a bit better. Glad you eliminated what you did, as it made it a little bit too strong. Though, the way you have the Dueling ability phrased it sound like you need to have the Weapon Finesse feat in order for it to work, so you should clarify. Additionally, under the Abilities section, you should say that wisdom affects his ability to use Mystic, not "cast spells," as what the Sword Ranger is doing is applying special abilities through use of Mystic rather than casting spells from a spell list.

Also, what edition is this supposed to work with? 3.5 I assume? You should clarify that since this board is going to be full of 3.5 and 4thEd.

I actually like this, and may use this in my campaign (full credit to you, of course) that I DM.

-Fiery Diamond

Kroy
2008-09-17, 02:13 PM
thank you, I'll rephrase those.

Kroy
2008-09-17, 07:42 PM
Is it all good?