View Full Version : OOTS #592 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2008-09-16, 12:52 PM
New comic is up.

Gamerlord
2008-09-16, 12:55 PM
I NEVER expected that!
Great job!
And booyah!, a romantic sideplot is gonna be eliminated once thelkra dies!

Staven
2008-09-16, 12:56 PM
Elan's bout to open up a can of whoop-ass. Excellent storytelling.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-16, 12:57 PM
Is there a Daimyo Kubota fan club already? If not, then I call dibs :smallbiggrin:

The man is pure Tropey goodness!

Neon Knight
2008-09-16, 12:58 PM
Kubota just qualified for Magnificent Illegitimate Child status.

Vulion
2008-09-16, 01:01 PM
Oh snap!

That was great!

Mauve Shirt
2008-09-16, 01:01 PM
:smalleek: Damn!
Kubota is a mustache-twirling evil villain trope.

brionl
2008-09-16, 01:02 PM
Argh, enough with the damn tropes already!

Shatteredtower
2008-09-16, 01:04 PM
Huh. That guy just never quits, does he?

Good for him.

Yeah, I have to second that. It's somewhere between "First post!" and "O RLY?" in terms of tedium to mention/link a trope.

JasonP
2008-09-16, 01:06 PM
That was great. Glad to see some progress on that one. For some reason the side of evil always seems to destroy itself.
Go get him Elan!

Holammer
2008-09-16, 01:07 PM
Oy! Is it just me or does this make Therkla truly true neutral. (bad pun intended)
Not as bad as Elans tho.

PaladinFreak
Sweet!

I wonder how they're gonna get out of this one.

Oracle_Hunter

Never! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Determinator?from=Main.NeverGiveUp) :smalltongue:

Meshakhad
Kubota, I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is, you just made Magnificent Bastard.

The bad news is, you're about to get your ass handed to you by a bard.

chiasaur11
2008-09-16, 01:08 PM
I liked it fine.

This plot really seems to be wrapping up. And Kubota?

Not the smartest move ever.

Belkster11
2008-09-16, 01:09 PM
Oooh crap....That can't be good. At least the samurais are dead...

But what is Kubota gonna say now?

"Go with the Diago family and loose Therkla, or go to Therkla and loose the Diago family?"

The couple doesn't looks like they're in any mortal peril (besides being bound and gagged, but Elan's still there) and the other samurai pplz are dead or running.

It's like Kubota never cracked open a "Theatrical for Dummies" book. :smallsigh:

Kobold-Bard
2008-09-16, 01:10 PM
Man I hope Therkla dies, I really don't like her.
I also hope that Elan Incredible Hulks Kubota because he is a crap villain by comparison to Xykon, Redcloak and Nale. (Bring back the real story, this ninjas on boats stuff is boring.)

Belkster11
2008-09-16, 01:11 PM
Yeah. He's even lesser of a villain than anything else. If anything, he's like the bandits the OotS had to face a while back.

The Hop Goblin
2008-09-16, 01:18 PM
I love the closeup of his hand.

Abjurer
2008-09-16, 01:18 PM
I like him as a transitional villain, though.
But I agree that it's time to get back to the big ones.

Cestrian
2008-09-16, 01:19 PM

"Go with the Diago family and loose Therkla, or go to Therkla and loose the Diago family?"

The couple doesn't looks like they're in any mortal peril (besides being bound and gagged, but Elan's still there) and the other samurai pplz are dead or running.

It's like Kubota never cracked open a "Theatrical for Dummies" book. :smallsigh:

I asumme it's a 'stay here and deal with me or take her to get medical help thing'. Plus isn't one of the ninjas still alive?

Shadic
2008-09-16, 01:21 PM
Hopefully Durkon makes it in there soon, yeah?

dragonseth
Interesting little toy, that needle-ring thing. That's pretty cool.

It seems like for the "Hero's Choice", House Kato needs to be in a little more danger than they are right now.

MReav
C'mon Elan, cut the ropes of the hostages, and start singing "Save, Save, Save... Save vs the massive poison damage"

OldSchoolGamer7
2008-09-16, 01:22 PM
"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am..."

What classic rock reference is coming to save our hero? Find out in the next exciting installment!:smallbiggrin:

Linkavitch
2008-09-16, 01:27 PM
The bad news is, you're about to get your butt handed to you by a bard.

Ha, ha, poor guy. I was wondering when a poisoned ninja ring was going to appear in this comic. I thought, when Kubota had his hands behind his back, 'wait a sec. . . did they tie his hands off-camera? Ohh, poison ring, cool. . .' I also noticed at least one ninja got away, to be Kubota's new hench-ninja.

tenguro
2008-09-16, 01:27 PM
Great Strip! I lol'd at all the cliche's they were naming off.

HOLEkevin
2008-09-16, 01:28 PM
That dastardly bastard…ly!

Shott
2008-09-16, 01:30 PM
Dang Giant! When I saw the title I was hoping someone was about to lose an ear.

Mr Chief
2008-09-16, 01:37 PM
Dident see that coming

Deepkicker
2008-09-16, 01:38 PM
Looks like the Kubota arc is drawing to a close. A part of me wants to see him survive, so that maybe he can pop up again later with another villainous plot. On the other hand, maybe it would be better if he got killed off now. Is there really room for him along with Team Evil and the Linear Guild?

Also, I think it's about time for Qarr to make an appearance again.

Wrecan
2008-09-16, 01:39 PM
Delay Poison and Neutralize Poison are bardic spells well within Elan's capacity to know. And since Elan's now had to deal with poisoning twice -- once of Roy and once of himself -- and is being coached by V on how to be a better spellcaster and has a prestige class that encourages him to understand and anticipate dramatic moments, Elan may actually have the right spell for the right occasion at the right time!

Jayngfet
2008-09-16, 01:41 PM
He does realise that his man are dead, the Kato's are behind Elan, and he jst admitted to being no good with a sword?

AtomicKitKat
2008-09-16, 01:42 PM
Poor Therkla. There goes Redemption=Death.:smalleek:

Guchalez
2008-09-16, 01:44 PM
I like him as a transitional villain, though.
But I agree that it's time to get back to the big ones.

Totally right, i hope Elan does something funny next, since V's on the way and will probably sae everybody soon enough.

Go Back stabbers!:nale:

Swashbuckler
2008-09-16, 01:50 PM
If Elan doesn't stick Kubota in the eye with his rapier, he will definitely earn the "Biggest #$@#% in the Universe" award.

Come on, Elan, DO IT! Make the Belkster PROUD! :amused:

Dziadek
2008-09-16, 01:54 PM
At this level Elan could have Neutralise Poison already, but it is uncertain if he had accually chosen that spell. Anyways this tactic would be too easy to make an interesting story out of it. Wonder what will be Rich's next step...

Fitzclowningham
2008-09-16, 01:55 PM
What's Daigo doing in panel 17? The samurai Therkla hits with the thrown knife is to the right of the other samurai, who is to the right of Daigo. He shouldn't need to duck the knife. It must be something good, because he has a wicked grin.

David Argall
2008-09-16, 01:56 PM
Short term, it seems that Elan has to choose to save the Katos or Therkla, which would be bad news for Therkla, except that bards are not supposed to let down mixed-up lasses in love [or lust] with them.

Longer term, there is a problem for Kubota. He can't really let any of those present survive. If Elan selects either option and runs for help, Hinjo has the witness he needs to arrest Kubota. Now he may have some deal in mind. He agrees to just keep Elan and Therkla prisoners maybe. But this deal looks bad from both sides. Elan has already shown good jailbreak talents, and Therkla is likely better. And Kubota can just kill them at any moment.
One possibility is that he takes Mrs kato as hostage and hubby agrees to support him as next ruler, with Elan and Therkla somehow bound by the same deal.

Of course, there is the chance V will be arriving shortly [and will interfere because the dispute is upsetting his study of a way to rescue Haley. She shouldn't know about the problem yet, but an accidental discovery is quite possible.] However, that is not something those in the room can count on yet.

Pronounceable
2008-09-16, 01:59 PM
Well, that was extremely naive of Therkla...

And Kubota managed to be awesome lately. Too bad he's gonna be dead soon, he was getting better at villainy.

jmucchiello
2008-09-16, 02:00 PM
Obviously Kubota is about to trade the antidote for his life, a very common trope in these situations. :)

Ganurath
2008-09-16, 02:05 PM
And booyah!, a romantic sideplot is gonna be eliminated once thelkra dies!
Man I hope Therkla dies, I really don't like her.
Poor Therkla. There goes Redemption=Death.:smalleek:She's isn't going to die. Elan is Genre Savvy. Kubota only sees him as a swordsman with a mind for the theatric. His being able to cast spells such as Delay Poison or Neutralize Poison will function as a Big Reveal allowing the Dashing Swordsman to rescue the Damsel in Distress. Furthermore, V was too preoccupied flying off to say "I told you so." to Durkon. Clearly, V reached the same conclusion as Therkla, figuring that she and Elan would stall Kubota's forces long enough to allow for V's timely assistence, if not address the problem outright since Elan is the only other member of the party capable of the art of arcane magic, naive and human though he may be. If the problem was not addressed, V would be able to reach them after dealing with the archfiend, and easily kill the recurring villain and seal his soul away to prevent ressurection so that Elan may attend to aiding the Damsel. Ideally, V would Message Elan, making him aware that the evoker is waiting in ambush for Kubota's escape, allowing V to have a Dark Alley Showdown where V can Drop A Bridge on Kubota.

Also, she's not dead.

TerrickTerran
2008-09-16, 02:07 PM
I can't wait to see what Elan's going to do.........I have a feeling it's going to be not nice.

alfredbester
2008-09-16, 02:16 PM
C'mon Elan, cut the ropes of the hostages, and start singing "Save, Save, Save... Save vs the massive poison damage"
Bwahahhaa!

And also, wow, I can't recall ever seeing such an angry expression on Elan's face.

AutomatedTeller
2008-09-16, 02:19 PM
She is an assassin.

is Elan the only bard in the world who would try to rhyme "hostage" with "most-age"? I think that's a brilliant joke

nybbler
2008-09-16, 02:21 PM
What sort of poison could Kubota have used that keeps Elan from first killing Kubota and then dealing with the poison? Therkla's supposed to be high-level, so she should be able to take some damage.

chibibar
2008-09-16, 02:27 PM

you mean Dashing Swordsman. You know something? Being the Dashing part, Elan might get extra stat boost and such trying to save a dying damsel in distress (Thekla is in distress after all)

coyote
2008-09-16, 02:34 PM
I did not see that coming, either.

If Kubota continues with his plan, I do not see how he can keep his promise of curing Therkla even if Elan switches sides, since he has to elliminate all witnesses and it is unlikely that Therkla will ever be loyal to him again. In this case he must also get Elan to kill Kazumi and Daigo, and even though Elan is chaotic, he is not evil enough for that.

Kubota might try to go on the offensive, but even if Elan would play along, he will need a pretty impressive plan to defeat Vaarsuvius, Durkon, Hinjo and company.

He can also try to leave everyone on the island behind, using Elan to convince the fleet that they are dead and he is the new leader. If he does that, he still has time to elliminate everyone who knows the truth later. But that is pretty far fetched, and Vaarsuvius might even use flight to bridge the distance to the boat...

Anyway, looking forward to what happens next - probably something I did not think about, anyway ;-)

Greg
2008-09-16, 02:35 PM
Elan could free Daigo and Kazumi to go after Kubota. Also bear in mind Vaarsuvius is returning to the boat. Things could get interesting. That said, I have no idea what Kubota is planning - there are 3 witnesses to his admissions who would be willing to testify to a court.

We also don't know what class features Dashing Swordsman has. I'd bet there's an appropriate one here.

Guchalez
2008-09-16, 02:36 PM
What sort of poison could Kubota have used that keeps Elan from first killing Kubota and then dealing with the poison? Therkla's supposed to be high-level, so she should be able to take some damage.

Must be constitution dam probably 2d6/2d6, otherwise it wouldn't kill her, and I don't think she has more than con16, i must do Str Dam too because she's on the floor. Ability damage can kill a high level character with average constitution if not properly treated.

ericgrau
2008-09-16, 02:40 PM
Props to whoever predicted Therkla's neutrality.

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-09-16, 02:42 PM
Oh what a perfectly dramatic moment for a Dashing Swordsman!

Yendor
2008-09-16, 02:44 PM
Man, Therkla's looking a bit green.

... Oh, right.

Martok
2008-09-16, 02:55 PM
No!! Must Therkla die?? I really like her! :smalleek:

Man, Therkla's looking a bit green.

... Oh, right.
*Groans at the pun*

Don't quit your day job, Elan. :smallbiggrin:

CGM3
2008-09-16, 02:56 PM
Obviously Kubota is about to trade the antidote for his life, a very common trope in these situations. :)

Unless Elan first...

grabs Kubota's ring hand and scratches him with his own poisoned barb. Then Kubota can either produce the antidote -- which will be applied to Therkla first, of course, and Heaven help the daimyo if he tries to pull a fast one -- or he can expire along with her. Being a cowardly mastermind type of villain, I doubt he'll opt for the latter choice.
...which is a less common trope.

RosesOnConcrete
2008-09-16, 02:57 PM
Very good twist, Giant - did not see that coming.

And though his ascension into true Magnificent Bastardry gets as many cheers from me as from everyone else, I get the feeling that Kubota's lifespan in strips can be counted on one hand right about now. Elan looks PISSED. *evil laugh*

maxon
2008-09-16, 03:00 PM
ooooo bad man, bad man. Go, Elan, go. Wait, what am I saying?

Caractacus
2008-09-16, 03:23 PM
He does realise that his man are dead, the Kato's are behind Elan, and he jst admitted to being no good with a sword?

Very much what I was thinking.

In any scenario with anyone other than Elan, he'd be dead meat. :smallcool:

But with Elan, there *has* to be a way for him to save her - or at least try...
...and that's what Kubota is rightly counting on.

However, saving Therkla will doubtless make her care for him yet more - and there's still our lovable rogue out there somewhere... :smalleek:

I'm hoping that V gets there before Qarr pops up. Did he teleport or just fly off?

Go V!

Solara
2008-09-16, 03:26 PM

Nthing this. I think I enjoyed reading the discussions a lot more when every comic wasn't instantly dissected into its component tropes.

SPoD
2008-09-16, 03:26 PM
Elan could free Daigo and Kazumi to go after Kubota.

This would likely end with three poisoned friends instead of one, and possibly one dead fetus. No, there's no way Kazumi, at least, is going anywhere near Kubota OR Therkla, not if she values her unborn child.

B.I.T.T.
2008-09-16, 03:33 PM
MAN that guy's evil, I mean he's no Xycon, but still. Good comic.

Solara
2008-09-16, 03:39 PM
Unless Elan first...

grabs Kubota's ring hand and scratches him with his own poisoned barb. Then Kubota can either produce the antidote -- which will be applied to Therkla first, of course, and Heaven help the daimyo if he tries to pull a fast one -- or he can expire along with her. Being a cowardly mastermind type of villain, I doubt he'll opt for the latter choice.
...which is a less common trope.

This is the best plan I've heard yet, but of course this is Elan we're talking about, so the likelihood of him coming up with it are slim...

I guess there's still a chance V might show up and save the day, but with the way he's been acting lately I don't know how reliable he is anymore, and I'm betting he's going to get a lot worse before he gets better. :smallfrown:

Bongos
2008-09-16, 03:41 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not Therkla!!:smallfurious:

Eric
2008-09-16, 03:46 PM
Easy.

Elan cuts the Katos' bonds leaving them to beat seven bells out of Kabuto. Elan takes Therkla out and tries to find a way to save her.

smashley346
2008-09-16, 03:49 PM
Dang, Elan is ANGRY!

Lowkey
2008-09-16, 03:53 PM
1 Ninja got away, which is rather open ended, but Daigo is more interesting. He clearly managed to do something - he is distinctly in the foreground away from the fight with his hands behind his back instead of at his sides. Next shot we see he has taken several steps back to place his back against the crib. Given that we don't see where the kicked katana lands, is it possible he managed to get a hold of it and is cutting himself free by bracing it against the crib?

I'm cool with Therkla dying, so long as House Kato makes it through alright.

Fitzclowningham
2008-09-16, 03:57 PM
Not that it's important or anything, but did Kubota poison Therkla in the...er...boob?

Lycar
2008-09-16, 04:00 PM
I asumme it's a 'stay here and deal with me or take her to get medical help thing'. Plus isn't one of the ninjas still alive?

He is and hopefully stays alive a while longer. Look at panel 5 in the second comic. Ninja-guy is making an exit stage left. Good for him. :smallamused:

Man, i hope it's the guy with the family.

*sigh* I wonder if we ever see an epilogue sort of strip where we, say, see some surviving henchmen of the boss defeated the previous comic lay down their arms and pick up goat farming or someting.

:smallconfused: "Hey, didn't you use to be a guard for Lord Dread?"
:smalleek: "Yes i was, but not any more. I realized that i have an allergy to swords..."

Lycar

vegetalss4
2008-09-16, 04:01 PM
interesting ....

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-16, 04:15 PM
Only having read the comic, not the thread, one question: What choice does elan have? He stabs Kubota, then helps Therkla. Fairly easy.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-09-16, 04:17 PM

Then I'm pretty sure he has a back up plan (for example, where is Quarr?)

Nice comic, but I really wanted to find out what the "Dun Dun Duuuuuun" was about on V :smallfrown:

Gamerlord
2008-09-16, 04:18 PM
Only having read the comic, not the thread, one question: What choice does elan have? He stabs Kubota, then helps Therkla. Fairly easy.
poison is probably fast-acting so there is no time for a fight.

Belkarsbadside1
2008-09-16, 04:29 PM
That was a bad pun, even for Elan. Normally they are lame, but this one is terrible.

Winthur
2008-09-16, 04:32 PM
Kubota's face in the last panel is completely PRICELESS. :smallbiggrin:

Retief
2008-09-16, 04:36 PM
poison is probably fast-acting so there is no time for a fight.

Poison has one effect that happens immediately, and one effect that happens after one minute, with a saving throw for both. She already survived the initial effect, so Elan has at least 10 rounds (time enough to slash the Katos' bonds and/or stab Kubota) and still help Therkla (either he can cast a spell to help or not, I don't know who he could reach in a minute anyway).

Tobrian
2008-09-16, 04:41 PM
Is there a Daimyo Kubota fan club already? If not, then I call dibs :smallbiggrin:
The man is pure Tropey goodness!

Yeah, he's an old-school card-carrying villain (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CardCarryingVillain) indeed... dumb as a box of rocks, but thinks he is smarter than the "heroes". Holds a villain monologue, explains his motives, but fails to notice that all his guards and ninjas in the room are now dead (although one ran away) and he is alone with a pissed-off Elan who is holding a weapon! Dun-dun-DUNN?

Once Elan frees the happy couple, they'll be three against one. Elan can easily take Kubota hostage, for god's sake, and take the antidote from him! (You bet that Kubota has an antidote, in case he poisons himself accidentally.) Of course, Elan might simply stab Kubota-the-villain... Elan can be uncomplicated like that.

Kubota likes to hear himself talk, doesn't he? And he does so love the "offering of the sadistic choice" trope, is that some sort of compulsion with him? But Kubota doesn't seem to understand that all his political maneuvering and posturing and self-congratulation are futile if he is DEAD. People like him never do. :smallyuk:

SPoD
2008-09-16, 04:44 PM
Poison has one effect that happens immediately, and one effect that happens after one minute, with a saving throw for both. She already survived the initial effect, so Elan has at least 10 rounds (time enough to slash the Katos' bonds and/or stab Kubota) and still help Therkla (either he can cast a spell to help or not, I don't know who he could reach in a minute anyway).

True, but if this poison is deadly, then it affects her Constitution...and that means that she will have already lost 1-5 points off of her second saving throw because of the effects of the first dose. That means that even if Elan bumps up her save by 5 points, it may only leave her with as high a Fortitude save as she had before being poisoned--and that wasn't high enough to make the saving throw.

For example, say that the poison is Black Lotus Extract: DC 20, 3d6 Con initial, 3d6 Con secondary. If Therkla is a 11th level rogue with a Con of 14 (just a guess), she has a Fortitude save of +5. She failed the first save, and took (on average) 10 points of Con damage. That changes her Con from 14 (+2 modifier) to 4 (-3 modifier) and making her Fortitude save +0. Now she has to roll a natural 20 to not die when the poison's secondary damage kicks in. Elan has 10 rounds to either cure her, or boost her save up high enough to succeed.

SPoD
2008-09-16, 04:49 PM
Once Elan frees the happy couple, they'll be three against one. Elan can easily take Kubota hostage, for god's sake, and take the antidote from him! (You bet that Kubota has an antidote, in case he poisons himself accidentally.)

There are many prestige classes that eliminate any chance of poisoning yourself in D&D. Kubota may well have one.

Of course, Elan might simply stab Kubota-the-villain... Elan can be uncomplicated like that.

There's no evidence that he doesn't have 12 Aristocrat levels, giving him possibly 100+ hp, in which case it will take more than 10 rounds for Elan to whittle him down.

Kubota doesn't seem to understand that all his political maneuvering and posturing and self-congratulation are useless if he is DEAD. People like him never do. :smallyuk:

And people don't seem to understand that he may have a defense against Elan that we have not yet seen. This is ELAN we're talking about, not Roy or Haley or V. There's no guarantee that Elan can "close the deal" on Kubota in time to save Therkla.

fractal
2008-09-16, 04:55 PM
Elan and Kubota should have such fun interacting with each other, though! Each is precisely the sort of hero/villain that the other wants to deal with. This is exactly why they each got into heroing/villainy from the beginning!

RebelRogue
2008-09-16, 04:56 PM
"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am..."
Seems like someone's about to lose an ear! :smallwink:

dogmac
2008-09-16, 05:04 PM
I see one Ninja escaped. Sensible ninja, running away. I would as well.

Draz74
2008-09-16, 05:05 PM
Not that it's important or anything, but did Kubota poison Therkla in the...er...boob?

Looks like it to me. Why not? It's not like she's going to sue him for sexual harassment (not when she would rather sue him for attempted murder at this point!). And it seems like a good place from which her poisoned blood will spread quickly throughout her body (extra-quickly, given that she's probably mildly stimulated just from being near Elan).

And as for Elan's angry face being a novelty: We've seen (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0386.html) it before (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html).

Tobrian
2008-09-16, 05:06 PM
There are many prestige classes that eliminate any chance of poisoning yourself in D&D. Kubota may well have one.
In that case, he's not an aristocrat, but an assassin. Pick one story and stick with it.

And Kubota is exactly the kind of guy who would carry an antidote to the poison for the only purpose to taunt a Good Guy with it.

There's no evidence that he doesn't have 12 Aristocrat levels, giving him possibly 100+ hp, in which case it will take more than 10 rounds for Elan to whittle him down.

Sorry, I thought this was first and foremost a story (albeit one set in a D&D world), not a roleplaying game where the author has to roll dice to see if his fictional protagonist overcomes the villain within x rounds. If the author wants it to happen, then a low-level hobgoblin can score a critical on a silver dragon and kill the dragon with a single hit from a spear to the eye. Happened right here in OotS (although not in the pages available online).

But alright, if you want to argue rules... Kubota is not a young man anymore (negative age modifiers to physical attributes), and where do you get this "level 12" from? (Did I miss something?) Kubota has other people do the dirty work for him and never takes risks himself, where would he have gained the XP from to get to level 12? Don't confuse level with political influence. Kubota commands a lot of men because of his hereditary title.

And people don't seem to understand that he may have a defense against Elan that we have not yet seen. This is ELAN we're talking about, not Roy or Haley or V. There's no guarantee that Elan can "close the deal" on Kubota in time to save Therkla.

I think you are overestimating Kubota. That guy is a lot of windy talk. He himself admitted that he's no fighter. He doesn't do his murders himself, he has ninjas for that. The only thing he can do is underhandedly poking someone with a poisoned needle and then hold self-congratulatory speeches. That's the typical behaviour of a coward who thinks himself untouchable because he a "daimyo". Too bad that Elan does not care about titles...

Characters like Kubota always fall in the end as a result of their own hubris.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-16, 05:10 PM
Yeah, he's an old-school card-carrying villain (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CardCarryingVillain) indeed... dumb as a box of rocks, but thinks he is smarter than the "heroes". Holds a villain monologue, explains his motives, but fails to notice that all his guards and ninjas in the room are now dead (although one ran away) and he is alone with a pissed-off Elan who is holding a weapon! Dun-dun-DUNN?

Once Elan frees the happy couple, they'll be three against one. Elan can easily take Kubota hostage, for god's sake, and take the antidote from him! (You bet that Kubota has an antidote, in case he poisons himself accidentally.) Of course, Elan might simply stab Kubota-the-villain... Elan can be uncomplicated like that.

Kubota likes to hear himself talk, doesn't he? And he does so love the "offering of the sadistic choice" trope, is that some sort of compulsion with him? But Kubota doesn't seem to understand that all his political maneuvering and posturing and self-congratulation are futile if he is DEAD. People like him never do. :smallyuk:

Oh ho, but Kubota is not just a Card Carrying Villain (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CardCarryingVillain) - he is a Contractually Genre Blind (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ContractualGenreBlindness) villain! Such villains take advantage of Villain Tropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Villains?from=Main.Villain) just as much as Elan takes advantage of regular tropes.

WARNING - TROPES AHEAD!
And the situation is not as bad as you'd think for Kubota. Of course he has the antidote on him (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CarryingTheAntidote), but Elan is carrying the Hero Ball (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeroBall) at the moment. Even with superior force, Elan may be hesitant to act because Kubota can easily smash the vial if Elan tries to untie his allies. Or he may think that the Sadistic Choice (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SadisticChoice) is The Only Way (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItsTheOnlyWay).

Considering Kubota's demonstrated Karma Houdini (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KarmaHoudini) abilities and his Chessmaster (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheChessmaster) tendencies, I think he's going to get away just fine.

aaaand since nobody seems to have started a Daimyo Kubota fan club, I have no choice but to invent one! I declare myself Shadow Chancellor (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilChancellor) of Lord Kubota's Shadow Government! :smallbiggrin:

Zolem
2008-09-16, 05:14 PM

He's not a Magnificant Bastard, he's a Smug Snake (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SmugSnake), a person who fails at being a MBastard because they can't manipulate people well and are tryinf too hard to be seen as flawlessly evil when realy they come off looking more like jackasses. They are self smug and are blinded by thier own egos. They as you pointed out tend to have very short life-spans.

Tobrian
2008-09-16, 05:25 PM
Why does everyone seem to think Elan is unable to win a one-to-one fight with this guy? Kubota hasn't even done anything that would qualify as badass! He's merely good at throwing up the illusion that he's powerful, and betraying people when their backs are turned (and they're busy fighting for their lives against some overwhelming force). He's an opportunist, nothing more.

I don't think Kubota is going to manage to weasel out of this one. I think this is the perfect set-up for Kubota's fall. Kubota has finally shown his true colors and exposed himself personally. He has been offered a chance by Therkla to do the honorable thing and take his people and leave the fleet, but he rejected the offer, out of arrogance. V and Hinjo are on their way back to the fleet, but they already had their ass-kicking moment of shiny awesomeness fighting the giant devil. Now it's Elan's chance to win the day and take Kubota captive, so that when Hinjo enters the scene, Elan can present Hinjo with one traitorous daimyo, already gift-wrapped, ready for judgement.

Kubota's humiliation will be so much greater if he is defeated by a guy like Elan that he didn't take seriously (the "damsel in distress"), instead of being beaten in one-to-one combat by a warrior-paladin like Hinjo. Come on, I want to see Kubota go down in flames, with a proper Humiliation Conga (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HumiliationConga)!

SPoD
2008-09-16, 05:40 PM
Sorry, I thought this was first and foremost a story (albeit one set in a D&D world), not a roleplaying game where the author has to roll dice to see if his fictional protagonist overcomes the villain within x rounds. If the author wants it to happen, then a low-level hobgoblin can score a critical on a silver dragon and kill the dragon with a single hit from a spear to the eye. Happened right here in OotS (although not in the pages available online).

But alright, if you want to argue rules... Kubota is not a young man anymore (negative age modifiers to physical attributes), and where do you get this "level 12" from? (Did I miss something?) Kubota has other people do the dirty work for him and never takes risks himself, where would he have gained the XP from to get to level 12? Don't confuse level with political influence. Kubota commands a lot of men because of his hereditary title.

Look, you're the one who said that Kubota was a fool for standing there while Elan had a sword, as if having a sword was an Auto-Win for Elan. Of course it's a story, but since we have Kubota acting as if he has Elan over a barrel, why is it wrong to assume that he may actually have Elan over a barrel???

I'm not trying to argue that Kubota has any specific stats, but we have NO IDEA what power he may or may not have. He may have a ton of expensive magical items on him that raise his AC to 40. He may have levels in classes that aren't the best at fighting but still give hit points. He may have drank 10 potions before walking in the door. He doesn't need to BEAT Elan for the "hero's choice" to be meaningful, he needs to be able to HOLD OUT against Elan--ELAN, still the weakest combatant in the OOTS--for 10 rounds. Because in 10 rounds, Therkla will die.

If you think Elan will defeat him, fine, that's legitimate. I think Elan will defeat him, too. But I don't think that it will be so easy as swinging his sword once at the guy. I don't think Kubota has no plan whatsoever for dealing with Elan. Because I give Kubota credit that if he had a surprise for Therkla, he has one for Elan, too. I think he will have enough of a defense that Elan will have to devote several rounds to capturing him, which will be time away from trying to raise Therkla's saving throw.

Fri
2008-09-16, 05:50 PM
Nthing this. I think I enjoyed reading the discussions a lot more when every comic wasn't instantly dissected into its component tropes.
At least it's better than analyzing each sentence and/or minute details like every damn thing must have some underlying freudian psychological hidden meaning for the characters.

Can't a cigar means a cigar, someone's choice of hair style do not reflect abused childhood and/or sexual preferences, and Rich put a sentence in someone's word baloon just because it's funny?

Discussing future plot/past backstory is one thing, but sometimes...

Red XIV
2008-09-16, 06:05 PM
I would say it's most likely that Elan could take Kubota out in a single round...unless Kubota's smart enough to plug his ears and not hear the pun.

dps
2008-09-16, 06:06 PM
Check out Therkla's eyes in the last panel. She's not even unconscious yet.

Aerysil
2008-09-16, 06:07 PM
I'd just stick him and hope Therkla makes her second save...

Selene
2008-09-16, 06:08 PM
There's a flaw in Kubota's plan. Who cares if Therkla dies? Is there even the slightest chance of Durkon not raising her if she dies saving Elan and the Katos?

Also, tropes > rules lawyering :smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2008-09-16, 06:20 PM
oops, i haven't played D&d for so long i have forgotten most of the rules! :smallredface:

ref
2008-09-16, 06:24 PM
Yay double length strip! Now let's see how Elan reacts.

David Argall
2008-09-16, 06:25 PM
Maybe. It's close enough to get you slapped anyway if you tried to locate it on the nearest lass' body.

Poison has one effect that happens immediately, and one effect that happens after one minute, with a saving throw for both.
Kubota appears to be using Plot Poison [also known as Box Text Poison if you encounter it in an adventure], whose effects on NPCs can include instant death. In the case at hand it seems to be laced with Dramatic Moment, which can mean that if Elan attack Kubota, frees the Katos, or a host of actions other than immediately attending her wounds, Therkla dies [possibly after dramatic speech and claims of undying love], but if he talks with Kubota, Therkla will always be 1 moment from death no matter how long they talk.
From Kubota's attitude, it seems he has the upper hand and no obvious strategy will produce a satisfactory conclusion for Elan [which does not say that an unobvious strategy will fail.]

Flying Platypus
2008-09-16, 06:42 PM
Go Therkla!!!
I wish she was a PC :frown:

Arakune
2008-09-16, 06:53 PM
Terkla knew the hard way some people just don't quit.

Mike_the_Mystic
2008-09-16, 06:56 PM
Wow, Kubota is a bastard of the magnificent variety.

Traker
2008-09-16, 07:12 PM
A pison needle on a ring how clever

Traker
2008-09-16, 07:20 PM
Yay double length strip! Now let's see how Elan reacts.

I have a idea he runs kubota through.:elan::durkon:

fraud
2008-09-16, 08:35 PM
heh heh... Therkla's looking a little green around the gills:smallbiggrin:

yeah I know that was terrible, but it's true she got a tad bit lighter green

horngeek
2008-09-16, 08:40 PM
poor, poor kubota.
He doesn't know what he just got himself into, pissing off a dashing swordsman.
:elan: is going to completely decimate him.

Helgraf
2008-09-16, 09:10 PM

Possibly Black Lotus 3d6 Con/3d6 Con damage poison.

Jimorian
2008-09-16, 09:14 PM

So clearly Elan's dilemma comes down to either sucking out the poison, or.... hmmm, I'm having a hard time coming up with a viable 2nd choice here. :smallwink:

Zolem
2008-09-16, 09:17 PM
WARNING - TROPES AHEAD!
And the situation is not as bad as you'd think for Kubota. Of course he has the antidote on him (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CarryingTheAntidote),

This is all I want to comment on. One level of assasin and he can never accidently poison himself. No need to carry the antidote, but send the hero off to retreive it in time. Gice 1 potential loation per hero, adn let the time limit force them to check all the areas at once, leaving you free to flee. I can't help but remember an episode of the TV series Jackie Chan Adventures where the main villain was wrestled down byt he protagonist, who searched him and asked "Where is the antidote?" to which the villain replied "You didn't think I'd honsestly keep it on me did you?"

Arkenputtyknife
2008-09-16, 09:30 PM
poor, poor kubota.

So :elan: is going to take a tenth of his hit points?

Various
2008-09-16, 09:31 PM
Rich, you do a great comic but this "lecture mode" thing has really got to go.

Denamort
2008-09-16, 09:34 PM
1) Sorry, but I can't understand how people can think Elan will win this situation. Kubota should be REALY stupid if he confronted him without having some secret weapon, he obviously has some way of defeat Elan or at least keep him busy until Therkla dies. Logically, whatever it is, it can't kill Elan becuase he would already used it. Everyone think Kubota is just a pompous Aristocrat, but he has an IMP working for him, He must have some magical power or something, if not, why would Qarr work for him?
I believe he would use this something he has, then he will escape and recruit his man and start an open battle with Hinjo now that he has been discovered.

2) I don't like Therkla's character very much, so it doesn't makes me sad that she plays the "killed buy the evil guy in the dramatic situation" roll, but I don't think she will die, I don't know why, it's just a feeling. However I believe that the only way this could end is with her death. She is too in love with Elan for helping Kubota, but if she survives, she can't be incorporated to the "good side".

Only Rich knows how this is going to end.

Lord Seth
2008-09-16, 09:38 PM
Argh, these last few strips have been annoying because they always keep making me want more. Give us faster updates!

Blaznak
2008-09-16, 09:41 PM
oooh! Extra Villian-y!

Warren Dew
2008-09-16, 10:02 PM
Longer term, there is a problem for Kubota. He can't really let any of those present survive. If Elan selects either option and runs for help, Hinjo has the witness he needs to arrest Kubota. Now he may have some deal in mind.

Unlikely, in my opinion. Don't forget that Kubota is operating on the assumption that Hinjo is dead. To his mind, all he has to do is keep this under wraps long enough to intimidate the other nobles into voting him leadership, or however that works.

LuisDantas
2008-09-16, 10:17 PM
Have we seen Qarr before Sabine first arrived at Azure City? I think not.

I wonder if it will turn out that Qarr is an agent of Sabine's higher-ups. Or, perhaps more likely, their rivals on the other side of the lawful-chaotic fence.

KilltheToy
2008-09-16, 10:20 PM
It's already been said, but I'm gonna say it anyways.

Kubota, you are a bastard. Seriously. I will enjoy watching Elan (or maybe the Katos) kick your butt.

Neon Knight
2008-09-16, 10:23 PM
I'm joining the Kubota fanclub as an evil samurai.

I wonder if V is going to have any impact on the scenario or arrive at its resolution?

Barazon
2008-09-16, 10:35 PM
I'm sure that someone (who is even more of an OOTS fan than I am) will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen Elan that pissed before... That's just awesome, I can't wait to see the next strip!

Red XIV
2008-09-16, 10:52 PM
but if he talks with Kubota, Therkla will always be 1 moment from death no matter how long they talk.
That's because speaking is a free action (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0166.html).

1) Sorry, but I can't understand how people can think Elan will win this situation. Kubota should be REALY stupid if he confronted him without having some secret weapon, he obviously has some way of defeat Elan or at least keep him busy until Therkla dies. Logically, whatever it is, it can't kill Elan becuase he would already used it. Everyone think Kubota is just a pompous Aristocrat, but he has an IMP working for him, He must have some magical power or something, if not, why would Qarr work for him?
Imps aren't exactly ultra-powerful creatures, you know. I don't find Kubota having an imp on his side to be terribly impressive. And Kubota doesn't need to be a formidable combatant. He's normally got minions to do his fighting for him.

Kaytara
2008-09-16, 11:16 PM
Wow. Kubota really doesn't think much of bards, does he? XD Obviously, since his tactic of eliminating the highest-level ninja involves getting the probably highest-level PC pissed at him. XD

synnerman
2008-09-16, 11:18 PM
Come on Elan, remember you're a spell caster!!!!!

Oooh...I wonder if he knows "Shout?"

Orestes
2008-09-16, 11:20 PM
Oh my!!! Can't wait to see Elan fighting, man, that will be awesome he is so pissed off.

fractal
2008-09-16, 11:29 PM
Wow. Kubota really doesn't think much of bards, does he? XD Obviously, since his tactic of eliminating the highest-level ninja involves getting the probably highest-level PC pissed at him. XD
I was thinking along similar lines: Should Kubota really be gloating so much when his entire plot so far involved sacrificing his samurai to eliminate his ninja?

Angela Christine
2008-09-17, 12:46 AM
Eep! Poor Therkla!

I'm not sure what Elan is going to do. Elan isn't Lawful, but it seems that even as Chaotic Good he thought letting Kubuto go would be unjust. With his understanding of genre conventions he has to realize that Kubuto is going to try to double cross them on any deal he makes, so there isn't much point in making a deal at all. Elan certainly isn't equipped to match wits with Kuboto. Hopefully he will free the Katos and take their advice until reinforcements arrive -- they may just be NPCs, but they know more about Azure City politics than Elan.

n+1

Yes, please stop. It isn't funny, and it isn't clever. The first few times it was amusing, but now it is just old, tired and over-done. At this point I just want to stab someone every time I see the word. :smallfurious: Unfortunately, I am not a psychotic halfling, so that is not a viable option.

It isn't necessary to link every episode to a wiki about storytelling conventions. Everyone now knows where to find the website if they are wondering how tried and true storytelling conventions relate to the comic. Showing off your extensive knowledge of an unrelated website simply isn't impressive.

Please let this inane fad die.

David Argall
2008-09-17, 01:44 AM
Yes, please stop. It isn't funny, and it isn't clever. The first few times it was amusing, but now it is just old, tired and over-done. At this point I just want to stab someone every time I see the word. :smallfurious: Unfortunately, I am not a psychotic halfling, so that is not a viable option.

It isn't necessary to link every episode to a wiki about storytelling conventions. Everyone now knows where to find the website if they are wondering how tried and true storytelling conventions relate to the comic. Showing off your extensive knowledge of an unrelated website simply isn't impressive.
Please let this inane fad die.
Patience, the young jedi must learn.
That one has seen it a hundred times before entitles one to see a hundred times more, and to eventually achieve the enlightened state of having seen it a thousand times and smile with approval at the antics of those still benighted.
[Or is it being reduced to a grinning jackass? I can never remember...]

Don't forget that Kubota is operating on the assumption that Hinjo is dead. To his mind, all he has to do is keep this under wraps long enough to intimidate the other nobles into voting him leadership, or however that works.
This does not really change the analysis. There is a major difference, especially here, between being known to be guilty of a crime, and getting caught at it. If Kubota is viewed as an incompetent who can't cover up his crimes, he risks being rejected for leadership, or facing revolt later. Hinjo being dead lowers the odds, but still makes it vital that he make some sort of deal.

Have we seen Qarr before Sabine first arrived at Azure City? I think not.
Sabine had been to Azure City some time in the past, but her current arrival was just before the invasion. Obviously Qarr had been in contact with Kubota long before this time. We "see" him first less than 3 days after Sabine's arrival and he is treating Kubota as someone he has had long association with.

I wonder if it will turn out that Qarr is an agent of Sabine's higher-ups. Or, perhaps more likely, their rivals on the other side of the lawful-chaotic fence.
Qarr and Kubota act like they have no knowledge of the Gate, which Sabine's superiors know about. Either they screwed up and forgot to inform their chief agent in place, or they are working on opposite sides.
We also have the matter of devil vs demon, which argues they are different sides.

Aeon221
2008-09-17, 01:52 AM
I was thinking along similar lines: Should Kubota really be gloating so much when his entire plot so far involved sacrificing his samurai to eliminate his ninja?

Guess you've never heard of Bobby Fischer.

Kubota has a pawn still free, most likely running to grab reinforcements, has removed a traitor, and has captured all the major pieces he was aiming for. Kubota isn't making speeches because he's a windbag, he's making speeches to delay Elan so that there won't be any loose ends. Elan is a bard, he's required by law to engage in speechifying. And since Elan can't fight his way out of a paper sack, he doesn't have much hope against any reinforcements the last ninja brings. Kubota isn't screwed, Elan is. Even if Elan stabs Kubota, the reinforcements will arrive and most likely slay everyone they find in the room. Elan's best options are either escape or engaging in a Mexican Standoff.

The only uncertain element is V. Can s/he use hir Evocation spells on the deck without lighting it on fire? Does s/he even have any useful spells left? I dunno, I don't play DnD.

I really think that the two guards-turned-lords are going to get captured. I also think that Therkla is a goner, because she doesn't really serve much of a purpose anymore except to die tragically in Elan's arms. "NOOO!" and all that. And I think Kubota is going to escape, because Elan never decisively defeats any of his personal villains. Besides, I can't imagine Elan killing a named character.

Someone mentioned Qarr earlier. I think it's pretty obvious that Qarr went and grabbed Kubota, which is why he's on Hinjo's ship. Qarr might pop up anyway, but he's already played a part in this bit.

stevekgoodwin
2008-09-17, 02:06 AM
Will Elan need to choose between the spunky half-orc or Haley? I don't see Haley as the sharing kind. Half-orc or Haley? Half-orc or Haley?

Mmmm... Green skin... Mmmm.... fangs...

Uh sorry. i had waaay too many modules etc with Elmore and Caldwell covers of buxom funny coloured women when I was a teenager... Actually, I still have them.

Mmmm.... Green skin...

Moonshadow
2008-09-17, 02:35 AM
Oh Elan, your choice is clear. Cut Kazumi's ropes and watch her go to town on Kubota xD

eilandesq
2008-09-17, 02:37 AM
A long-standing question may soon be answered:

What *are* Elan's (probable) three fourth level bard spells? Given that he almost died from poisoning himself in the attack on the inn when he was still lower level, it wouldn't be hard to justify having neutralize poison among the three, but he still needs to cast it before the secondary damage kicks in and finishes Therkla off--and he still has to worry about Kobuta pulling a Rosa Klebb on him with a touch attack with the still visibly poisoned ring. Of course, I can see Kobuta running out in full gloat--only to walk right into a disintegrate spell from an irritated V.

Blue_Bear
2008-09-17, 04:27 AM
Well, well...

I do think Kubota has some other ace up his sleeve. What if his plan included taking out Captain Axe first, setting sail for *anywhere*, and then engaging in the fight? They could be some distance away from the island, where Durkon, Hinjo & Lien are currently without a boat!
And there's 1 ninja left, although he left... Wouldn't he be that much stronger now, being the last one? Stupid ninja, fleeing to get reinforcements when he would be so much more powerful alone. :smallsmile:
I wonder what V is going to do...
And I wanna see what Kazumi thinks :smallbiggrin:

banjo1985
2008-09-17, 04:59 AM
Hmmm this could be interesting. I wouldn't expect Kubota to use the same poisoned-ring shctick again straight away, so I guess he must have some other hidden advantage.

Now he's a dashing swordsman I'm sure Elan could take him in a straight fight. Maybe Kubota has a few ninja's around that Elan hasn't spotted with his abysmal Spot checks?

paddyfool
2008-09-17, 05:16 AM
One way this could go:

Elan: "Neutralise poison! I'd prepared learnt this in case Hinjo needed it, but..."

Kubota: Uses poison ring on Elan while he's busy talking. Elan falls down. Kubota looks around, then undoes the gag on one of the other two.

"So, you now have a choice..."

EDIT: Rules forgetfulness fixed.

Random221
2008-09-17, 05:30 AM
"I see blood and destruction
Blood and destruction cause one of a man"

If our royal high@ss [pron: highness] cannot quit his bitterness then OK. If they both draw their swords and Hinjo dies or so and Kubota takes power, it is OK. If the order will have to face the enemy alone, it will be OK. If Elan dies in 3 strips and joins Roy in the skies (and train together), that would be OK too. If Haley dies too and leaves Roy's corpse to Belkar and Celia that too would be OK but kinda risky.

Why? Cause I do not expect these to be happening and no other storys have such inmeasurable lines (strips).

Kish
2008-09-17, 06:02 AM
Elan: "Neutralise poison! I'd prepared this in case Hinjo needed it, but..."

*poke* What do you think Elan is, a wizard? Bards don't prepare spells. If Elan chose Neutralize Poison as one of his known spells, he can cast it as many times per day as he has spell slots of its level.

Taekwondodo
2008-09-17, 06:06 AM
yay for the third choice trope! and bad guys always seem to have some sort of underhand trick when something isnt going there way but that had to be the worst as it relied on Therlka being distracted. boo to Kabuto!!:smallfurious:

ref
2008-09-17, 06:39 AM
"I see blood and destruction
Blood and destruction cause one of a man"

Because, because, because of one man. Hehe...

We had some posts a while ago discussing how well JCS lyrics fit into OotS :smallcool:

brilliantlight
2008-09-17, 06:40 AM

I agree, that has to be humilitating as hell!

brilliantlight
2008-09-17, 06:43 AM
Yeah. He's even lesser of a villain than anything else. If anything, he's like the bandits the OotS had to face a while back.

He isn't that low on the totem pole! They had no real power but he does.

Cizak
2008-09-17, 07:46 AM
Wee, now this is getting intresting! I really hope we get to see a good fight now, since Elan is myfavourite character :smallsmile:

Azazel
2008-09-17, 07:50 AM
Most interesting.
Wonderful execution there with the ring. The mind's eye makes those thicker lines appear like an actual closeup of Kubota's hand. Of course, they are supposed to be just that but it's a hand as opposed to a thick black fork.
Creating that kind of immension in an observer is a sign of good storytelling. Let's see where this goes...

As for the ongoing troupe discussion, I find them quite amusing and educational.

DigoDragon
2008-09-17, 07:51 AM
I think Elan's quote in the first panel is the funniest line he's ever said. I'll have to remember that one for later... Hmm, I wonder how many rounds it takes to travel from the island back to the ship? :smallamused:

maxon
2008-09-17, 08:20 AM
poor, poor kubota.

How can you decimate one person?

I'm just asking.

saral
2008-09-17, 08:26 AM
One way this could go:

Kubota: Uses poison ring on Elan while he's busy talking. Elan falls down. Kubota looks around, then undoes the gag on one of the other two.

"So, you now have a choice..."

That does seem like the standards of the players and the author...l

Sebastian
2008-09-17, 09:09 AM

Or, even in the worst case scenario, what would stop Elan to just use a Raise Dead on her later (after dealing with the poison effects)?

Eran of Arcadia
2008-09-17, 09:44 AM
I am finding it more and more likely that Therkla isn't walking away from this one, which is unfortunate. At least she survived this strip.

dps
2008-09-17, 10:19 AM
Kubota has a pawn still free, most likely running to grab reinforcements, has removed a traitor, and has captured all the major pieces he was aiming for. Kubota isn't making speeches because he's a windbag, he's making speeches to delay Elan so that there won't be any loose ends. Elan is a bard, he's required by law to engage in speechifying. And since Elan can't fight his way out of a paper sack, he doesn't have much hope against any reinforcements the last ninja brings. Kubota isn't screwed, Elan is. Even if Elan stabs Kubota, the reinforcements will arrive and most likely slay everyone they find in the room. Elan's best options are either escape or engaging in a Mexican Standoff.

First, now that Elan is a dashing swordsman, he is at least somewhat competent in a swordfight--and Kubota has sdmitted that he's not a good swordsman (though he might be better than he wants people to think he is). Second, if the remaining ninja is going for reinforcements, all Elan really needs to do is free the Katos.

paddyfool
2008-09-17, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyfool

Spoiler

*poke* What do you think Elan is, a wizard? Bards don't prepare spells. If Elan chose Neutralize Poison as one of his known spells, he can cast it as many times per day as he has spell slots of its level.

Doh! Original post duly edited.

Solara
2008-09-17, 11:43 AM
I think Elan's quote in the first panel is the funniest line he's ever said. I'll have to remember that one for later... Hmm, I wonder how many rounds it takes to travel from the island back to the ship? :smallamused:

I was just fixing to say this, I'm surprised no one else has brought it up but I guess they all got distracted by the horrible horrible pun that came later.

Mercenary Pen
2008-09-17, 12:47 PM
OUCH!

Good work from Elan and Therkla against the samurai etc. but that's a pretty nasty piece of work from Kubota...

Reckon Elan's choice is gonna be 'let Kubota get away and save Therkla, or attack (maybe kill) Kubota, but leave Therkla to die of poison during the number of rounds it takes...'

What's more, I'm gonna guess that Kubota's of a high enough level, and has enough of the right equipment, to last a few rounds against Elan... possibly augmented by a bad sense of humour to neutralise the 'puns to hit' function of Elan's dashing swordsman PrC... because- as the saying goes- 'what the giant giveth, the giant can also nullify in specific fights to even them up.'

vonschlesie
2008-09-17, 01:19 PM
Is it just me, or is Daigo bent over and smiling because his ropes are secretly untied?

tribble
2008-09-17, 01:20 PM
Is it just me, or is Daigo bent over and smiling because his ropes are secretly untied?

just you, I think, they're still securely tied in the last panel.

Eric
2008-09-17, 01:33 PM
OUCH!

Good work from Elan and Therkla against the samurai etc. but that's a pretty nasty piece of work from Kubota...

Reckon Elan's choice is gonna be 'let Kubota get away and save Therkla, or attack (maybe kill) Kubota, but leave Therkla to die of poison during the number of rounds it takes...'

What's more, I'm gonna guess that Kubota's of a high enough level, and has enough of the right equipment, to last a few rounds against Elan... possibly augmented by a bad sense of humour to neutralise the 'puns to hit' function of Elan's dashing swordsman PrC... because- as the saying goes- 'what the giant giveth, the giant can also nullify in specific fights to even them up.'

Do you believe for one INSTANT that *anyone* would want to last a few extra rounds with puns like that? The "puns to hit" is probably a really effective drive to suicide before hearing any more puns.!

David Argall
2008-09-17, 02:09 PM

I'm just asking.

it's rather messy and painful.

Ganurath
2008-09-17, 02:17 PM
it's rather messy and painful.It involves eggbeaters and certain cavities, if I remember right.

vampire2948
2008-09-17, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by maxon View Post

I'm just asking.

How can you need to ask this question?

You understand what decimate means, right? (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/decimate)

It's rather easy to deduce a method by which you might decimate a single person.
One such method was suggested by Ganurath. Though I feel that electric whisks would provide a better effect.

Vampire2948,

AyuVince
2008-09-17, 03:27 PM
How can you need to ask this question?

You understand what decimate means, right? (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/decimate)

It's rather easy to deduce a method by which you might decimate a single person.
One such method was suggested by Ganurath. Though I feel that electric whisks would provide a better effect.

Vampire2948,

Julius Caesar decimated a unit of mutinous soldiers when he waged war against the Roman Republic. Doing it to a single ninja would be considerably easier, I suppose.

*silly music* "What will Elan do? What will Elan do? What will... ENOUGH WITH THE SINGING!"

Sorry, random Freakazoid reference.

Prowl
2008-09-17, 03:41 PM
The word 'decimate' when applied to a single person is nonsensical. The historical use is that when the Romans 'decimated' a military unit as punishment, they killed one man in ten (hence 'deci', one tenth).

The modern colloquial usage retains the connotation of severe punishment but the literal meaning is known by few.

Ikialev
2008-09-17, 03:52 PM
So, now Durkon will bash in and kill Therkla?

Chavik
2008-09-17, 05:20 PM
Theory

Kubota is actually demon/devil disguised as a human, and Qarr was actually working for him...

dougcosine
2008-09-17, 05:35 PM
woah. so i was totally reading this one and i get pretty into the text and don't notice the pictures as much sometimes and i got down to the end and i was looking at therkla and i thought, "oh, she's green 'cause she got poisoned." and then i was like, "wait a second."

disorder
2008-09-17, 05:58 PM
woah. so i was totally reading this one and i get pretty into the text and don't notice the pictures as much sometimes and i got down to the end and i was looking at therkla and i thought, "oh, she's green 'cause she got poisoned." and then i was like, "wait a second."
Well, you weren't that far off. If you look closely, she's turned from a normal half-orc shade of green to a different and decidedly unhealthy-looking shade...

bibliophile
2008-09-17, 07:56 PM
Will Elan need to choose between the spunky half-orc or Haley? I don't see Haley as the sharing kind. Half-orc or Haley? Half-orc or Haley?

Mmmm... Green skin... Mmmm.... fangs...

Uh sorry. i had waaay too many modules etc with Elmore and Caldwell covers of buxom funny coloured women when I was a teenager... Actually, I still have them.

Mmmm.... Green skin...

See: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86292&page=4#93

We could start a club!

Kubuta has elan under control. He clear knows elan obeys the precepts of drama, so elan will surrender if no outside force (V, the paladins) barges in. He, or his remaining ninja bind/chain elan, then kubuta has another hostage to use in the event this all goes south. Or if all goes well for kubuta, then elan can easily be killed.

Nightfall
2008-09-17, 09:40 PM
I disagree. Elan will not capitulate. He's about to take a core-sample from Kubota. (What else is a rapier good for?):smallbiggrin:

brilliantlight
2008-09-17, 09:49 PM
I disagree. Elan will not capitulate. He's about to take a core-sample from Kubota. (What else is a rapier good for?):smallbiggrin:

Agreed, Kubota is about to get his clock cleaned.

Trizap
2008-09-17, 10:46 PM
Elan throws the rapier, Kubota dies from Rapier in head, while Elan cures Therkla of poison. Tomorrow, Elan, Therkla Daigo and Kazumi testify that Kubota tried to kill them and was trying to take over the Azure Forces.

I hope mes called it.

fractal
2008-09-17, 11:49 PM
If Kubota has a valid dilemma for Elan (like some sacrifice in order to get the antidote), then I expect Elan to be dutifully torn, as a hero should be. On the other hand, if Kubota has made some oversight (like Elan can cure poison), then he may be in big trouble.

Nightfall
2008-09-18, 08:01 AM
Unless Elan has a potion, a bard can't Cure Poison (I've played one, I know...could'a used a Cure Poison! :smalleek:).

I don't think Elan's ever used ANY spells that a bard would have earned. Certainly he's high enough level by now. It's already been shown that he uses Bardic Knowledge, and Inspire Confidence :smalleek: (?), but those aren't spell slots. I don't know Elan's level, and of course now he's cross-classed to Dashing Swordsman (or whatever it's called), but he would still have those spells regardless.

DigoDragon
2008-09-18, 09:30 AM
just you, I think, they're still securely tied in the last panel.

Unless that's what he wants you to think? :smallsmile: