PDA

View Full Version : Class and Level Geekery: 4th Edition

Dentarthur
2008-09-16, 02:29 PM
After deciding it would be hella fun to play a Belkar-esque character in my current (4e) campaign, I started wondering what the Order's character sheets would look like if they had converted to the new edition. I present here my attempt to convert, or at least re-imagine, our beloved heroes into the new system.

I've decided to make everyone 12th level; they're probably all 13-14 at the moment, but I think 12 is a good stopping point since you get a feat and 2/3rds of your paragon features and powers there. I originally tried to stick with the point-buy method, but I've changed it up to match what we know about everyone's attributes. For clarity, I've listed starting stats and applicable bonuses, the last of which is the bonus from leveling (+1 to everything once, +1 to two stats twice).

Keep in mind that this is just for fun, not a serious, definitive attempt to convert the Order to a new edition. Feel free by all means to toss in your own suggestions and/or whole new statblocks. And please, by Thor's hammer, leave discussions of the system itself out of this.

EDIT: Elan is now a multiclass Warlord/Rogue, V is now an Elf, and I've changed a few characters' skills. Put Roy in scale armor instead of plate.

:roy: Roy Greenhilt

Roy translated quite well as a Great Weapon Fighter. Since Roy always seems to run straight up to the badguys and smack away, I mostly picked all the powers that deal the most damage. His attributes may be a bit low overall, but I tried to stick with the idea that he doesn't really have a weak attribute, except maybe Dex.

Human Fighter 12, Lawful Good
Str 21 (16 +2 racial +3)
Con 16 (13 +3)
Dex 11 (10 +1)
Int 16 (15 +1)
Wis 16 (15 +1)
Cha 14 (13 +1)
HP 107
AC 24 (10 +7 armor +1 feat +6 for half level)
Fort 26 (10 +2 class +1 race +2 feat +5 Str +6)
Refl 19 (10 +1 race +2 Int +6)
Will 20 (10 +1 race +3 Wis +6)
Human racial features: Bonus power, feat, and skill; +1 defenses
Fighter class features: Combat Challenge, Combat Superiority, Weapon Talent (2-handed)
Swordmaster paragon path features: Steel Defense Action, Steel Grace
Trained Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Intimidate, Streetwise
Feats: Toughness, Durable, Power Attack, Powerful Charge, Weapon Focus (heavy blade), Armor Specialization (Scale)*, Great Fortitude*, Heavy Blade Opportunity*
At-Will: Cleave, Reaping Strike, Sure Strike
Encounter: Steel Serpent Strike, Dance of Steel, Reckless Strike, Precision Cut
Daily: Brute Strike, Rain of Steel, Thicket of Blades
Utility: Unstoppable, Unbreakable, Into the Fray, Fantastic Flourish

:belkar: Belkar Bitterleaf

The way I see it, the 4e Ranger class is an even better fit for the Belkster than the 3.5 Ranger. There are no spells, no pretense of being a tree-hugging woodsman, no Animal Empathy, no animal companion -- pretty much none of the class features that Belkar didn't bother using anyway. There is even a paragon path that roughly emulates his Barbarian class level, complete with the Rage-like "Throw Caution to the Wind" power.

Halfling Ranger 12, Chaotic Evil
Str 21 (18 +3)
Con 15 (13 +2)
Dex 17 (13 +2 racial +2)
Int 7 (6 +1)
Wis 8 (7 +1)
Cha 8 (5 +2 racial +1)
HP 92
AC 21 (10 +2 armor +3 Dex +6)
Fort 22 (10 +1 class +5 Str +6)
Refl 20 (10 +1 class +3 Dex +6)
Will 15 (10 -1 Wis +6)
Halfling racial features: Bold, Nimble Reaction, Second Chance encounter power
Ranger class features: Two-Blade fighting style, Hunter's Quarry 2d6, Prime shot
Stormwarden paragon path features: Blade Storm, Stormstep Action
Trained Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Dungeoneering, Endurance, Stealth
Feats: Toughness (class feature), Two-Weapon Fighting, Durable, Escape Artist, Blade Opportunist, Far Throw, Lethal Hunter, Evasion*
At-Will: Nimble Strike, Twin Strike
Encounter: Second Chance, Dire Wolverine Strike, Tundertusk Boar Strike, Claws of the Griffon, Clearing the Ground
Daily: Jaws of the Wolf, Two-Wolf Pounce, Swirling Leaves of Steel
Utility: Unbalancing Parry, Expeditious Stride, Undaunted Stride, Throw Caution to the Wind

:durkon: Durkon Thundershield

Durkon's conversion was pretty straightforward, though he doesn't have access to his signature Righteous Might, and of course domains are missing entirely. Also, he had to burn two feats to get into full plate comfortably. However, there are a few thunder-based powers, perfect for a cleric of Thor.

I'm assuming a new version of Thor's Lightning will be homebrewed in as the Channel Divinity feat for worshippers of Thor.

Dwarf Cleric 12, Lawful Good
Str 19 (16 +3)
Con 16 (13 +2 racial +1)
Dex 13 (12 +1)
Int 13 (12 +1)
Wis 19 (14 +2 racial +3)
Cha 10 (9 +1)
HP 83
AC 24 (10 +8 armor +6)
Fort 20 (10 +4 Str +6)
Refl 17 (10 +1 Dex +6)
Will 22 (10 +2 class +4 Wis +6)
Dwarf racial features: Cast-Iron Stomach, Dwarven Resilience, Encumbered Speed, Stand Your Ground
Cleric class features: Channel Divinity, Healer's Lore, Healing Word, Ritual Casting
Warpriest paragon path features: Extra Damage Action, Warpriest's Strategy, Warpriest's Training
Trained Skills: Arcana, Heal, Insight, Religion
Feats: Ritual Caster (class feature), Armor Proficiency (Scale), Armor Proficiency (Plate), Thor's Lightning (channel divinity feat), Dodge Giants, Dwarven Weapon Training, Raging Storm, Resounding Thunder*
At-Will: Priest's Shield, Righteous Brand
Encounter: Channel Divinity, Healing Word, Wrathful Thunder, Split the Sky, Strengthen the Faithful, Battle Cry
Daily: Beacon of Hope, Weapon of the Gods, Divine Power
Utility: Cure Light Wounds, Cure Serious Wounds, Shielding Word, Battle Favor
Rituals: Gentle Repose, Water Walk, Cure Disease, Raise Dead, probably a few more

:elan: Elan

The only thing that approximates a Bard's morale-boosting powers is the Warlord with his inspiring abilities. There are several big problems with this, chiefly that Warlords don't sing or play, that they are painted as hardened warriors rather than entertainers, and that they depend on Strength for all their powers. We'll have to wait for the Bard class to come out in the PHB II or III before we can get a real 4e version of Elan; until then, here's a distant approximation of his abilities expressed as a Warlord class. Just imagine that his inspiring powers are based on musical performance rather than combat prowess.

Human Warlord 12, Good
Str 11 (10 +1)
Con 12 (11 +1)
Dex 17 (14 +3)
Int 9 (8 +1)
Wis 9 (8 +1)
Cha 23 (18 +2 racial +3)
HP 79
AC 22 (10 +6 armor +6)
Fort 19 (10 +1 race +1 class +1 Con +6)
Refl 20 (10 +1 race +3 Dex +6)
Will 24 (10 +1 race +1 class +6 Cha +6)
Warlord class features: Combat Leader, Inspiring Presence, Inspiring Word 2/encounter power
Multiclass Rogue features: Thievery training, Sneak Attack 2d6 1/encounter
Trained Skills: Athletics, Bluff, Diplomacy, Endurance, History, Thievery
Feats: Weapon Proficiency (Rapier), Weapon Focus (Rapier), Sneak of Shadows, Novice Power, Acolyte Power, Adept Power, Nimble Blade, Combat Commander*
At-Will: Sly Flourish (R), Viper's Strike, Wolf Pack Tactics
Encounter: Positioning Strike (R), Warlord's Strike, Surround Foe, Rogue's Luck (R)
Daily: Lead the Attack, Clever Riposte (R), White Raven Strike
Utility: Master of Deceit (R), Quick Step, Defensive Rally, Mob Mentality (R)

(R) denotes a Rogue power

:haley: Haley Starshine

Haley's Sneak Attack has been badly nerfed in 4e, especially considering that she can no longer use it with her signature longbow. Also, most of the Rogue powers require that you wield a crossbow, light blade, or sling. I'm just going to handwave all this by hoping the "DM" will allow sneak attacks and rogue powers to be used with the bow via house-rule, as part of the 4e conversion. Or maybe 4e Haley will just have to use a crossbow.

Human Rogue 12, Good
Str 12 (11 +1)
Con 14 (13 +1)
Dex 21 (16 +2 racial +3)
Int 13 (12 +1)
Wis 12 (11 +1)
Cha 16 (13 +3)
HP 81
AC 20 (10 +2 armor +2 Dex +6)
Fort 19 (10 +1 race +2 Con +6)
Refl 26 (10 +1 race +2 class +2 feat +5 Dex +6)
Will 20 (10 +1 race +3 Cha +6)
Rogue class features: First Strike, Artful Dodger, Rogue Weapon Talent, Sneak Attack 3d6
Master Infiltrator paragon path features: Infiltrator's Action, Skillful Infiltrator
Trained Skills: Acrobatics, Bluff, Insight, Perception, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery
Feats: Weapon Proficiency (Longbow), Weapon Focus (Bow), Backstabber, Skill Focus (Bluff), Skill Focus (Thievery), Defensive Mobility, Evasion*, Lightning Reflexes*
At-Will: Deft Strike, Piercing Strike, Sly Flourish
Encounter: Dazing Strike, Trickster's Blade (despite the name, it allows crossbow/sling), Rogue's Luck, Distracting Wound
Daily: Blinding Barrage, Walking Wounded, Knockout
Utility: Tumble, Ignoble Escape, Certain Freedom, Impossible to Catch

:vaarsuvius: Vaarsuvius

I originally went with the Wand of Accuracy implement for V since he's an attack wizard. However, she's never used a wand, and as pointed out below he probably uses a staff occasionally. Her Con as presented here is thus a bit higher than it probably is in the strip, just so he can use the Staff of Defense ability properly.

I originally made 4e V an Eladrin rather than an Elf simply because it makes more sense for an arcane caster. However, evidence from the books suggests that he really is an Elf. That's too bad; she'd look SO COOL with solid, glowing purple eyes.

Elf Wizard 12, Unaligned
Str 9 (8 +1)
Con 14 (11 +3)
Dex 13 (10 +2 racial +1)
Int 23 (18 +3)
Wis 13 (10 +2 racial +1)
Cha 8 (7 +1)
HP 66
AC 18 (10 +1 Dex +1 class +6)
Fort 18 (10 +2 Con +6)
Refl 22 (10 +6 Int +6)
Will 21 (10 +2 class +2 feat +1 Wis +6)
Elf racial features: Longbow/Shortbow proficiency, Fey Origin, Group Awareness, Wild Step, Elven Accuracy
Wizard class features: Implement Mastery (Staff of Defense), Ritual Casting, Cantrips
Spellstorm Mage paragon path features: Extra Damage Action, Storm Spell
Trained Skills: Arcana, History, Insight
Feats: Ritual Caster (class feature), Alertness, Expanded Spellbook, Linguist, Skill Focus (Arcana), Iron Will*, Inescapable Force*, Lasting Frost*
At-Will: Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Magic Missile, Ray of Frost
Encounter: Elven Accuracy, Force Orb, Fire Shroud, Lightning Bolt, Storm Cage
Daily (3 prepared): Acid Arrow, Flaming Sphere, Sleep, Bigby's Icy Grasp, Fireball, Stinking Cloud, Ice Storm, Lightning Serpent, Wall of Fire
Utility (3 plus Sudden Storm prepared): Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Dispel Magic, Invisibility, Blur, Resistance, Sudden Storm
Rituals: Animal Messenger, Comprehend Language, Silence, Endure Elements, Eye of Alarm, Wizard's Sight, Detect Object (and probably many more)

*Paragon tier feat, some of which were gained by retraining at 11th or 12th level.

Morty
2008-09-16, 02:38 PM
Before Bard is released, I'd picture Elan as multiclassed into a Rogue to get some Cha-based Rogue exploits, they seem to fit his Dashing Swordsman style quite well.

Dentarthur
2008-09-16, 02:42 PM
Good point. I hadn't really considered multiclassing at all, but it could be a valid use of feats here. I'll take another look.

Chronos
2008-09-16, 04:35 PM
I've decided to make everyone 12th level; they're probably all 13-14 at the moment, but I think 12 is a good stopping point since you get a feat and 2/3rds of your paragon features and powers there.Remember that 12th level in 3.x is roughly equivalent to 18th level in 4.0, since the range now goes from 1-30 instead of 1-20.

Kurald Galain
2008-09-16, 04:52 PM
Nice idea. Just a few nitpicks,

Stuff
Belkar's intelligence and charisma are lower than that.

Durkon consistently fails at diplomacy, so probably doesn't have that trained. Elan should have bluff rather than intimidate. And I doubt Haley has perception considering the entire party is consistenly failing spot checks.

Elan could use a few cha-empowered attacks, say from the rogue's list (sly flourish!)

And V should be an elf because he's unable to teleport (fey step). Plus, the only one that ever used a wand in the comic is Larry Gardener. I'd make cha his dump stat, rather than str.

Grey Watcher
2008-09-16, 05:06 PM
I've done a few thought experiments along these lines. Here are a few of my thoughts, at least where they differ from yours.

Roy: I actually imagine Roy as a Fighter, but picking up the Warlord multiclass feat (to represent his growing skill as a leader, as well as a warrior). Can't quite decide whether he should go with Swordmaster or one of the Warlord PPs. Admittedly, this does make the Order very Leader heavy....

Vaarsuvius: I'd actually pick Elf, and NOT Eladrin for him/her specifically because On the Origin of PCs......specifically states he/she was born in the woods to a pair of Rangers, implying the sort of background that 4e associates with Elves, and not Eladrin A nitpicky detail, but a still a good distinction. Of course, he probably WISHES he were a proper Eladrin, but still.

All in all, good work, though.

Draz74
2008-09-16, 05:34 PM
I'd make Elan a Rogue who multiclasses into Inspiring Warlord, not the other way around. Especially given his Dashing Swordsmanship.

V still seems more like an Eladrin to me. Even if (s)he was an Eladrin born to two Elven parents in a freak accident of genetics.

Given Roy's family background, his bonus human feat should totally be Skill Training (Arcana)! And I think Streetwise fits him better than Heal. And according to previous C&L Geekery conclusions, he actually wears lighter-than-plate armor, so I don't think he needs any armor proficiency feats beyond what Fighters start with.

I don't suppose Haley's weapon problem could be taken care of by making her an Archery Ranger, who just thinks she's a Rogue? Skill Training (Thievery, Bluff, Insight) feats? "Sneak Attack" is actually just Hunter's Quarry? Maybe instead of one of those Skill Training feats, she multiclasses as Rogue, and still takes a Rogue PPath?

Dentarthur
2008-09-16, 05:49 PM
Remember that 12th level in 3.x is roughly equivalent to 18th level in 4.0, since the range now goes from 1-30 instead of 1-20.
21-30 is considered Epic in 4e, just like 21+ is considered Epic in 3rd, so I see equal levels as being equivalent between the two editions.

Belkar's intelligence and charisma are lower than that. The perils of arbitrarily restricting oneself to the prescribed point-buy system. I'll go ahead and make an exception for Belkar's and Elan's unusually low mental attributes.

Durkon consistently fails at diplomacy, so probably doesn't have that trained. Elan should have bluff rather than intimidate. And I doubt Haley has perception considering the entire party is consistenly failing spot checks. Agreed, except I gave Haley Perception because she's trained in Search, which falls under the same umbrella in 4e. And Warlords don't have Bluff on their class list, but I guess that hardly matters here. I'll put Arcana on Durkon's list -- the alternative is History, which I don't think Durkon has, but he does always seem to recognize every arcane spell that gets cast. Y'know, just like everyone else in the strip. :)

Elan could use a few cha-empowered attacks, say from the rogue's list (sly flourish!) Yep, definitely a multiclass Warlord/Rogue. I'll do that.

And V should be an elf because he's unable to teleport (fey step). Plus, the only one that ever used a wand in the comic is Larry Gardener. I'd make cha his dump stat, rather than str. True, V never used a wand; but she never used a staff or orb, either. I'll drop his Cha a bit, though.

Roy: I actually imagine Roy as a Fighter, but picking up the Warlord multiclass feat (to represent his growing skill as a leader, as well as a warrior). IMO, Roy's leadership comes mostly from his ability to get people to work together (ie high Cha) rather than actual mechanical bonuses. Plus, he'd have to toss away a bunch of feats to become a multiclass character, and feats are still pretty important for a fighter-type.

Vaarsuvius: I'd actually pick Elf, and NOT Eladrin for him/her specifically because [...] Of course, he probably WISHES he were a proper Eladrin, but still. Ooh, good call. I don't have that book, otherwise I wouldn't have considered Eladrin to begin with. And hey, the party could really use that +1 to Perception. :D

I don't suppose Haley's weapon problem could be taken care of by making her an Archery Ranger, who just thinks she's a Rogue? Ooh... nice. But difficult. I'm trying to stay mostly consistent with 4e rules, and I don't think I can pull this off while also staying true to Haley's character and abilities.

Mando Knight
2008-09-17, 12:11 PM
Ooh... nice. But difficult. I'm trying to stay mostly consistent with 4e rules, and I don't think I can pull this off while also staying true to Haley's character and abilities.

Ranger Multiclassing to Rogue or Skill Training: Thievery in place of the Weapon Proficiency: Longbow. Similar skill set... probably Dungeoneering, Stealth, Perception, Acrobatics, and Athletics. Her AC is off... it should be 23, 10+2 armor +5 Dex +6 (1/2 level)

Roy should probably have Scale armor with the Armor Specialization (Scale) feat, giving him good armor without any penalties. (except for the no-Dex/Int-to-AC bit...)

As an Evoker, V would probably be a Wand wizard, since it gives a better bonus to attacks, but V's Dex is said to be... insufficient, so 'e'd probably go Orb for the greater control it provides over the cosmos...

Totally Guy
2008-09-17, 03:32 PM
True, V never used a wand; but she never used a staff or orb, either. I'll drop his Cha a bit, though.

Vaarsuvius has a "seldom used quarterstaff" in the Adventure Game.

Firestar27
2008-09-18, 11:55 PM
Remember that 12th level in 3.x is roughly equivalent to 18th level in 4.0, since the range now goes from 1-30 instead of 1-20.

No, that's not how it works. 4e (not 4.0 if you have good predictions about WoTC's future business plans) just provides support for epic play as the default. 20th level in 3.5 is just in the low 20s in 4e. The way that upper 20s and level 30 characters are portrayed in 4e, they are nothing short of epic characters in 3.5.

Zolem
2008-09-19, 08:24 AM

Taht would make her a staff implement user, a boost to defense so that she has a chance to shoot off her barage of flaming death.

Dentarthur
2008-09-19, 09:01 AM
Okay, quarterstaff it is. I'll also abandon the point-buy system in favor of roughly matching what we know about our heroes' stats.

Vulion
2008-09-19, 09:17 AM
Are you gonna be doing Team Evil, the Linear Guild or members of the Sapphire Guard next?

Zolem
2008-09-19, 09:22 AM
Are you gonna be doing Team Evil, the Linear Guild or members of the Sapphire Guard next?

Let's just focus or refining the Order first.

Vulion
2008-09-19, 09:31 AM
Let's just focus or refining the Order first.

Of course. I just wanted to know if he was planning on it.

MReav
2008-09-19, 10:02 AM
Wouldn't Dashing Swordsman be a Paragon Path?

Dentarthur
2008-09-19, 12:36 PM

Yeah, I'm planning on moving on to the Linears and then Team Evil. Eventually.

hamishspence
2008-09-19, 01:40 PM
if you base it around what level wizards and clerics cast spells and gain acess to rituals, level 17 Wizard in 3.5 matches level 30 Wizard in 4th. BIG jump.

Xykon (If you could stat him PC style) would correspond to level 30 (Meteor swarm) Using a more NPC-ish style, maybe he could be an Elite 30th level Monster (Human, Wiz 30 NPC, Lich template)

MReav
2008-09-19, 01:43 PM
Well, Xykon could be level 29

Zolem
2008-09-19, 06:21 PM
if you base it around what level wizards and clerics cast spells and gain acess to rituals, level 17 Wizard in 3.5 matches level 30 Wizard in 4th. BIG jump.

Except that, you know, the Fighter could cast that spell too.

pnewman
2008-09-20, 04:46 AM
It seems to me that in 4th ed terms Haley is an Archer Ranger who took the 'Sneak of Shadows' Feat at first level, not a Rogue at all. When she says 'Sneak Attack' just read it as 'Hunters Quarry'.

pnewman
2008-09-20, 04:57 AM
I think that, in 4th ed terms, Varsuvius (and, by implication the rest of the party) is probably about 20th or 21st level. Several hundred strips ago we saw her use Disintegrate, and (a hideous variant of) Evards Black Tentacles. Both are level 19 Wizard Daily attack powers, and V has leveled once or twice since then. Forget what '3rd ed' level they say they are and look at what she can cast. She's probably not yet 22nd level because we haven't sen her use any of the level 22 Wizard Utility Spells - Mass Fly, Mordenkainen's Mansion, or Time Stop, although she may have taken her Improved Scrye power to replace one of them, and thus have just hit 22nd level. She also knows the 15th level attack power 'Prismatic Beams' and the 16th level Utility Power 'Fly', so even if you're not convinced she's 21st level, she's got to be more than 13th level.

We also know that V is an Elf, not an Eladrin, because she doesn't teleport but does know how to use a bow (although, per the siege of Azure City strips) isn't much good with it. Additionally she rarely misses with her attack spells, which may suggest the use of 'Elven Accuracy' to re-roll misses.

Zolem
2008-09-20, 03:43 PM
Beating a dead horse are you? It's already been stated that they are just 12th for convenience. And V's been an Elf for a while now.

lonewolf23k
2008-09-20, 05:17 PM
I just know one thing for sure...

4th Edition has finally settled the score on whether or not Sabine is a Demon or a Devil. :smallamused:

EvilRoeSlade
2008-09-20, 05:21 PM
Ehh, Belkar's Intelligence and Charisma would be far higher than that. Wisdom is his only dump stat.

quillbreaker
2008-09-20, 05:24 PM
No, that's not how it works. 4e (not 4.0 if you have good predictions about WoTC's future business plans) just provides support for epic play as the default. 20th level in 3.5 is just in the low 20s in 4e. The way that upper 20s and level 30 characters are portrayed in 4e, they are nothing short of epic characters in 3.5.

Other than the fact that a 3.5 epic wizard could kill every single possible 4e epic character at once, merely by the fact that the 3.5 epic wizard thinks space and time are good jokes but ultimately get in the way when it is time to really get things done.

Kletian999
2008-09-22, 05:15 PM
Considering that Dashing Swordsman's "source of competancy" for Elan is the ability to use Charisma as your main attack stat, clearly Elan has the Paladin's Enfeebling or Bolstering Strike at wills (perhaps warlord paragon multiclassed to Paladin). Is also fits his growing protector role without Roy around and his service to Banjo- 4e allows Chaotic Good paladins that serve Chaotic Good gods.

Draco Dracul
2008-09-22, 07:56 PM
Considering that Dashing Swordsman's "source of competancy" for Elan is the ability to use Charisma as your main attack stat, clearly Elan has the Paladin's Enfeebling or Bolstering Strike at wills (perhaps warlord paragon multiclassed to Paladin). Is also fits his growing protector role without Roy around and his service to Banjo- 4e allows Chaotic Good paladins that serve Chaotic Good gods.

There is no chaotic good in 4e.:smalltongue:

Zolem
2008-09-23, 10:14 AM
Oh, and Paladins are still required to be Lawfull Good.

Morty
2008-09-23, 10:18 AM
Oh, and Paladins are still required to be Lawfull Good.

They aren't. They have to be of the same alignment as their deity. So they can be of any alignment, paladins of Evil and Chaotic evil dieties are simply said to be rare. Unaligned and Good paladins are supposedly as common as Lawful Good ones, however.

Grey Watcher
2008-09-24, 01:59 AM
I'm actually in the process of writing up the Linear Guild as 4e NPCs. Still not sure how Nale works with multiclassing, though.

MReav
2008-09-24, 02:16 AM
Try rogue/wizard.

Grey Watcher
2008-09-24, 03:49 AM
Try rogue/wizard.

I can't quite make up my mind between Rogue, Wizard, and Warlord (yeah, I know, but Core 3.5 doesn't really support the Warlord idea, which is what Nale is, plus, apart from Sneak Attack, a lot of his powers (ie Charm Person) disappear entirely). Plus I'm a little unclear about building a multiclass NPC (using the rules on pages 187-188 of the DMG). I've got a letter out to the the Customer Service at Wizards, not that I expect that to be a lot of help, but still.

Also, I can't make up my mind whether or not Sabine deserves the Rogue template. Really, how many Rougish abilities, beyond those of a more or less basic fiend, does she display? I'm almost thinking she should just be a MM Succubus tweaked up or down in level (as appropriate) using the rules in the DMG.

Starbuck_II
2008-09-24, 06:59 AM

Adventure Game?

Thog:
Build him as a Orc Berserker with a couple changes

Nale:
Rogue/Wizard or Rogue/Warlock
So basically, a Rogue NPC with Warlock Template.

And you could just give him Sneak Attack or rather Combat advantage: +2d6.
Monsters get that without being a class sometimes.

Sabine:
MM Succubus.

Grey Watcher
2008-09-24, 07:20 AM
Adventure Game?

Thog:
Build him as a Orc Berserker with a couple changes

Nale:
Rogue/Wizard or Rogue/Warlock
So basically, a Rogue NPC with Warlock Template.

And you could just give him Sneak Attack or rather Combat advantage: +2d6.
Monsters get that without being a class sometimes.

Sabine:
MM Succubus.

I was specifically aiming to make them all Level 12. Sabine's easy enough. Advance the MM Succubus 3 levels. Making her a proper Rogue isn't too hard, though it does turn her into an Elite, making her significantly more powerful than Nale or Thog.... Unless Nale also had the Demagogue Template. Of course, he wouldn't get much mileage out of Deathless Fanatacism, since most of his allies are his own level, but oh well. I'm just not sure that putting a class template on top of a classed NPC is kosher (since it would actually give them an ADVANTAGE (albeit a small one) over PCs, in that they'd get their second class' at-wills as at-wills, and not as encounter powers). As for Thog, I was just gonna do an NPC Fighter. Might slap the Bodyguard or Savage Berserker template on there to make him an Elite. Still doesn't explain why Nale insists on matching the Order person-for-person (beyond his Genre Savyness), since 3 Elites is considered the equivalent of 6 normal monsters, and, assuming they're the same level as the order, they're, officially, a match for them. Anyway, I was doing this mostly to practice using the NPC building rules, but I guess I'll finish them up properly in a couple of days.

hamishspence
2008-09-24, 07:59 AM
In 4th ed, they must start with alignment of their deity: no penalties given for changing alignment, no restriction on levelling. Which means, by strict 4th ed rules, Falling is impossible (being arrested for crimes isn't though)

Zolem
2008-09-24, 10:16 PM
In 4th ed, they must start with alignment of their deity: no penalties given for changing alignment, no restriction on levelling. Which means, by strict 4th ed rules, Falling is impossible (being arrested for crimes isn't though)

:miko: See, I would have been recodnized for my brilliance and service to the gods.