PDA

View Full Version : Game system needed

Ichneumon
2008-09-16, 02:29 PM
So basically I am searching for a good game system that would preferable only use d6 (I just bought these very cool d6's with roman style nummering and am dying to use them) and would be apropriate for a low magic semi-historical ancient roman/greek setting. I would prefer it the core rules (how to play and how to dm) where in 1 book, but I can do without that. The things is, I have a ton of ideas for a setting, but would like to find the system that would be most appropriate. I already know about the free "Mazes and Minotaurs" game and I will certainly use it if nothing better is available, but I would still need to homebrew a lot of things (like a Roman Legionary class etc) and I would basically create a new game entirely. Having said this, I am not against homebrewing a lot of stuff.

snoopy13a
2008-09-16, 02:42 PM
Two D6 games I can think of are Mechwarrior and the old Star Wars RPG (from West End Games). Neither are fanasty though, if that is what you're looking for.

insecure
2008-09-16, 02:43 PM
I don't know a lot about all the systems out there, but there's the AnteHero (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90331) system, developed by another forumite, Astral Fire.

valadil
2008-09-16, 02:57 PM
I think Shadowrun is d6 based, but it's got the wrong setting.

kamikasei
2008-09-16, 03:06 PM
Isn't GURPS largely or entirely d6-based? And in principle you could build any setting out of the core book (AFAIK there is just one core book), though in reality you'd probably want to pick up an additional sourcebook specific to your intended game type.

Ichneumon
2008-09-16, 03:08 PM
It doesn't really need to be exactly the correct setting, I don't have hopes for a "fantasy setting based on ancient rome", I only would like it to for example support a low-magic (like how D&D 3.5 doesn't support that kind of setting at all) amongst others.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-16, 03:11 PM
It doesn't really need to be exactly the correct setting, I don't have hopes for a "fantasy setting based on ancient rome", I only would like it to for example support a low-magic (like how D&D 3.5 doesn't support that kind of setting at all) amongst others.

Depending on how much complexity you want, GURPS could work. I've just started looking at various Fudge based games, which also seem pretty decent and can use D6's.

hamlet
2008-09-16, 03:23 PM
Use D6 Fantasy.

The company that owns it is up for sale for something like $2000 if you're interested.

Knaight
2008-09-16, 05:50 PM
Fudge would work well. I ran a hittite based game in it once, as well as several fantasy games of different times, so ancient rome is easy.

Cybren
2008-09-16, 09:48 PM

The latest edition of GURPS Fantasy includes Roma Arcana, a setting set in fantastical ancient Rome.

There's also various Conan games, i believe there's a Conan d20 somewhere out there, that is certainly low fantasy, but having not played it i can't answer if it's low-magic.