PDA

View Full Version : Petition to Increase the Day to 30 Hours

TigerHunter
2008-09-16, 07:23 PM
Things I want to do today:

-Watch another episode of Death Note.
-Beat Spore's Civilization Phase on hard.
-Browse GitP.
-Spend at least 15 minutes working out.

Things I have to do today:
-Homework.
-More homework.
-Even more homework.

/sigh

Zeful
2008-09-16, 07:24 PM
That's not bad, but if the day were increased to 30 hours we'd just be able to get 6 more hours of sleep.

Atomsized
2008-09-16, 07:27 PM
That's not bad, but if the day were increased to 30 hours we'd just be able to get 6 more hours of sleep.

Isn't that a good thing?

I mean, i could use 6 more hours of sleep :smallbiggrin:

Zeful
2008-09-16, 07:31 PM
Maybe but I sleep at most 8.5 hours, which I already get every night, what am I going to do with 6 more hours?

JeffreyToTheMax
2008-09-16, 07:32 PM
Clearly dramatic action must be taken.

I suggest some sort of artificial sky be installed, complete with a sun-like light with an adjustable movement rate. This will allow people in specific regions to decide what progression is right for them - I imagine both the typical day and night will be lengthened considerably.

Of course, there are some possible issues with this, such as the death of all plant life on earth followed soon after by the death of all other forms of life. But those issues will probably be fixed in an upgrade or something.

Zeful
2008-09-16, 07:37 PM
No no no. You install rocket boosters on the planet, and fire them to slow it down a smidge, making a 30 (or greater) hour day.

Trog
2008-09-16, 07:39 PM
Two words:

Second Breakfast. :smallamused:

JeffreyToTheMax
2008-09-16, 07:41 PM
No no no. You install rocket boosters on the planet, and fire them to slow it down a smidge, making a 30 (or greater) hour day.

Not quite dramatic enough for me. I mean, that doesn't even kill some plant life.

Zeful
2008-09-16, 07:43 PM
Yes it kills all life. Directly behind the rockets. But the ecosystem will balance out. It's always out for the little guy.

RTGoodman
2008-09-16, 07:44 PM
How 'bout a 28-hour day? I've been really tempted to try doing it for a while.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/28_hour_day.png
Alt-Text - Small print: this schedule will eventually drive one stark raving mad.

Two words:

And that's different how...? :smallwink:

JeffreyToTheMax
2008-09-16, 07:48 PM
Yes it kills all life. Directly behind the rockets. But the ecosystem will balance out. It's always out for the little guy.

I kind of had a mental image of warp nacelles sticking out to the sides of the earth like the Enterprise. But I suppose, if properly positioned, rockets could indeed achieve the required destruction of life.

Ego Slayer
2008-09-16, 08:00 PM
Stupid... fat... hobbit!

:smalltongue:

Ugh, no... 6 more hours a day to kill would suck. I can hardly stand 24 anymore. :smallfrown:

Could use those extra 6 for sleep, though. I need more.

Zeful
2008-09-16, 08:01 PM
I kind of had a mental image of warp nacelles sticking out to the sides of the earth like the Enterprise. But I suppose, if properly positioned, rockets could indeed achieve the required destruction of life.

I got a great image now, thank you.
"Number one, jump to warp."
"Aye, aye. Engineenering, warp one."
*sounds of engines powering up*
"Captain, the planet is now spinning at warp one."

Sneak
2008-09-16, 08:03 PM
Maybe but I sleep at most 8.5 hours, which I already get every night, what am I going to do with 6 more hours?

You get 8.5 hours of sleep a night?

Oh, how I envy you.

I could sure use another six hours. I wouldn't use 'em all to sleep, though...I would do all kinds of stuff! Learn a new instrument, read, watch TV, hang out with friends, GITP, make a webcomic, actually get around to doing avatars for people...and procrastinate EVEN MORE on everything.

You know, all the stuff I don't have time to do normally.

Mattarias, King.
2008-09-16, 08:04 PM
Where do I sign? :smallbiggrin: Six more hours to kill things and take their stuff? I'm down.

Also, I'm a bigger fan of Elevensies myself. :smallamused:

TigerHunter
2008-09-16, 08:15 PM
Stupid... fat... hobbit!

:smalltongue:

Ugh, no... 6 more hours a day to kill would suck. I can hardly stand 24 anymore. :smallfrown:

Could use those extra 6 for sleep, though. I need more.
I'll take any extras you don't need.

Trog
2008-09-16, 08:37 PM
procrastinate EVEN MORE on everything.

This. Most definitely we'd all use it for this. Or sleep. Or Breakfasteseseses.

Stupid... fat... hobbit!
*chucks taters at* :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2008-09-16, 08:51 PM
I am Chumley, and I approve of this message.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-09-16, 08:54 PM
I hear the human body, when without the influence of night and day, will develop into a 30 hour day. 10 asleep, 20 awake. I would prefer this.

Sneak
2008-09-16, 09:10 PM
This. Most definitely we'd all use it for this. Or sleep. Or Breakfasteseseses.

Yup. I like to think about all the stuff I'd do with extra time...but mostly, in actuality, I'd probably just sleep and procrastinate.

*chucks taters at* :smalltongue:

Wot's taters, eh? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr_01rYKQLg)

Atomsized
2008-09-16, 09:15 PM
Yeah, i would use the extra 6 hours for sleep. However, the school systems might then adjust to use around 1/3 or something of that time for education.

A second breakfast....that might not sound like a bad idea.

I could have more waffles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtlaTNI1TaU).

*Points to Sneak. "He started it!"*

Xeluu
2008-09-16, 09:16 PM
I hear the human body, when without the influence of night and day, will develop into a 30 hour day. 10 asleep, 20 awake. I would prefer this.

I recall hearing something similar to this as well, only it was something more like a 25 or 26 hour cycle.

But I would definitely use the extra hours for sleep. x_x I'm always tired.

TigerHunter
2008-09-16, 10:14 PM
Homework is done, Death Note is watched, workout is worked out, and I get some decent time on GitP. So now the question is... sleep or play Spore?

I hate these tough decisions.

ApeofLight
2008-09-16, 10:15 PM
I too wish to have 30 hours in a day... it would be nice.

Oregano
2008-09-17, 02:27 AM
It'd be nice to have six extra hours but I fear Atomsized is right, Education Systems and Work would consume those six hours for you, because hey you already have about a maximum of 15 hours to yourself.

Zeful
2008-09-17, 08:41 AM
But we can dream can't we?

What'da mean no?!

Lord Tataraus
2008-09-17, 10:56 AM
What about the metric time scale? We should use that, their are 100 hours in a day and it works out great. Every year my dad (a MET professor at Purdue) has one of his lectures adhering to the metric time scale, the explanation of the conversion and reasoning works out to be just long enough to cover the entire metric hour and then he just walks out.

By the way, one metric hour equal approximately 15 imperial minutes (actually 14.4 minutes, but close enough)

Shai'Hulud
2008-09-17, 03:42 PM
What you have to do if you want to change the length of the day is fasten some rockets to one of Saturn's moons (or a similar object), then you can move it and use it's gravity to slowly pull earth along without the risks of fastening rockets directly onto the earth.