PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Adventurer's Vault?

MammonAzrael
2008-09-16, 10:19 PM
It can out today, right? Did anyone pick it up, and what do you think of it? Is it generally filled with worthwhile items? Is there a noticeable power creep from the PHB? Any new items that are completely awesome.

Overall, is it worth picking up?

RTGoodman
2008-09-16, 10:25 PM
According to Amazon it was supposed to come out today, but I didn't see any copies of it (or any other non-Core books either) at my B&N so I couldn't check it out. It looks from the previews like it'd definitely be worth it, but some specifics would be cool if anyone managed to get their hands on it.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-09-16, 11:46 PM
My roommate's got his hands on it, and I've looked through it, and it's right shiny. I love all of the different magic weapon stuff, like the teleport weapon (which there's some really fun uses for), and there's some really nifty stuff like the bracers that serve as a store of infinite daggers/shuriken.

It's a win.

Randel
2008-09-17, 12:17 AM
I pre-ordered it through Barnes and noble for $14.88 (thanks to their reduced online price, my membership discount, and a 15% off coupon. Also got free shipping since I got the "Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium" omnibus from Warhammer 40k which I hear is pretty good) and went to the store itself to check out the copy they put on the shelf while I wait for my book to be delivered.

I especially liked the new features some of the wands and staves give. Like the Master wand of magic missile improves the regular magic missile attack so that you can push enemies 1 square when you hit them with it. And another wand that makes Cloud od Daggers deal twice your wisdom mod when an enemy enters it instead of just the wisdom mod, which makes cloud of daggers that much more appealing.

A few other items I thought looked cool was the staff of hands (lets you keep more than one mage hand working at a time, think its up to your wisdom mod and they can all be sustained my one minor action a round.)

They have a toned down version of the decanter of endless water. The liquid vanishes after one hour if not consumed so players probably won't be flooding the dungeon with a decanter anymore, or making jet packs or anything.

A few cheap items like gloves are there that let characters use prestidigitation or other wizard cantrips which would make nice gifts to rogues or other tricky characters.

Also, the various mounts, vehicles, figurines of power, and the bags of tricks look like real fun items.

Gralamin
2008-09-17, 12:30 AM
I like a lot of the stuff, though the shear amount of it stops me from commenting much.

Stoneborn armor makes me wonder if you are supposed to keep Temp HP during a short rest, since the section in the PHB isn't very clear.

Thrud
2008-09-17, 01:01 AM
It can out today, right? Did anyone pick it up, and what do you think of it? Is it generally filled with worthwhile items? Is there a noticeable power creep from the PHB? Any new items that are completely awesome.

Overall, is it worth picking up?

Yeah, had em in my store today too.