View Full Version : Student Version of Microsoft Office SUPER cheap

Tormsskull
2008-09-17, 02:15 PM
Hi all,

Hopefully this isn't considered advertising, because I am definitely not a Microsoft employee or anything. But in class the other day, a fellow student of mine told me about the Microsoft Ultimate Steal. I didn't believe him (I'm not that trusting apparently :smalltongue: ), but he showed it to me.

Here is the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx

The catches are that you have to have to be a US student in an eligible education institution, and you have to have a .edu e-mail address. My college recently gave .edu e-mail address' away to all of its students, so I figure others might be as well. So I thought this might help a lot of students save a lot of money.

Renegade Paladin
2008-09-17, 02:21 PM
Ummmmmm... As far as I know, .edu e-mail addresses are standard issue at almost every reputable university. And this is hardly a secret.

Rawhide
2008-09-17, 02:23 PM
I've actually posted about this before (long time ago), so I don't think you have to worry about 'advertising'.

But, it is open to a lot more people than just those in the US.
Here (http://www.itsnotcheating.com.au) is the Australian site, click the flags along the top for all the other countries.

Regarding addresses, all Universities participating in the offer have to provide students with addresses or be in violation of their agreement with Microsoft.

P.S. Also, this is not a student version! Yes, it can only be purchased by students, but it has none of the restrictions (such as non commercial use only) of a student version.

Tormsskull
2008-09-17, 02:27 PM
*snip*

Dang, well this wouldn't be the first time my college was way behind. Not to mention that in the college bookstore they sell a more restricted version of MS Office for $180.

I must be out of the loop. I usually hear about these kind of good deals.

Trog
2008-09-17, 02:29 PM
Or you can use OpenOffice for free. Or, if on a Mac, NeoOffice.

Renegade Paladin
2008-09-17, 08:52 PM
Or you can use OpenOffice for free. Or, if on a Mac, NeoOffice.
Also this.

Zeb The Troll
2008-09-18, 02:13 AM
I use OpenOffice on my laptop. It's not without it's problems. The biggest of which is not being 100% compatible with the most ubiquitous office software on the market. For example, I tried to use an OO database to make address labels for everyone invited to our wedding and then send it to Alarra (who was 1200 miles away in South Dakota at the time) so that she could address the invitations and get them out. But, and OO stresses this upon further reading, Access and OO's dB program absolutely will not play together. More recently, I was typing up some homework for school last week and when I went to save it in .doc format, as required by the school, I was warned that my document wouldn't look the same if I proceeded.

But yeah, if you just need something for yourself and don't have to share your work with anyone, OpenOffice is a pretty decent alternative.

Tormsskull
2008-09-18, 06:27 AM
But yeah, if you just need something for yourself and don't have to share your work with anyone, OpenOffice is a pretty decent alternative.

That's what I have been told. The thing that stinks for me is that my college requires that you do your work in MS Office.

I'm in a database class right now (stupid pre reqs) and the professor requires we use MS Visio in order to draw our Relationship Diagrams. Pay no never mind to the fact that I could create the diagrams in half a dozen other programs that I either already have or are free.

In my other class, one of the students specifically mentioned Open Office and the professor actually laughed really loud and said "No. Absolutely not."

So apparently OO hasn't caught on for this college yet.

Crispy Dave
2008-09-18, 04:27 PM
well I just use open office (http://www.openoffice.org/) its the same thing but its free

Renegade Paladin
2008-09-18, 06:28 PM
In my other class, one of the students specifically mentioned Open Office and the professor actually laughed really loud and said "No. Absolutely not."
Wow. What a maroon. [/Bugs Bunny]

potatocubed
2008-09-19, 07:25 AM
I use OpenOffice on my laptop. It's not without it's problems. The biggest of which is not being 100% compatible with the most ubiquitous office software on the market. ... But yeah, if you just need something for yourself and don't have to share your work with anyone, OpenOffice is a pretty decent alternative.

This. The issue that cropped up for me is with InDesign, which has a whole bunch of neat features that let you effortlessly* import Word documents. Try the same trick with an Open Office document and watch your layout EXPLODE.

* Well, effortlessly by InDesign standards, which means only a little bit of swearing.