PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Help Requested

sonofzeal
2008-09-17, 03:09 PM
I'm playing a Strongheart Halfling Artificer7/Fleshwarper2, and my DM has nixed Heartstones. Getting 9th level spell effects for that price IS a bit ridiculous, but he said that if I work up something roughly equivalent, he'll lower the price by 30% due to its race-specific nature. That's good for getting a resistance bonus, but I really want a way to retreat rapidly via magic when needed. Any suggestions on a good way of doing that? I have the DMG magic item guidelines, plus any spell I can find, at my disposal, but the table I have seems really incomplete. For example, how much would an x/day spell completion or spell trigger item of Dimension Door be?

Also, I'm looking for any Wand advice. Here's my Wand list so far....

Wand of Magic Missile (4d4+4)
Wand of Lesser Vigor
Wand of Repair Light
Wand of Lesser Restore
Wand of Reduce Person
Wand of Enlarge Person
Wand of Knock
Wand of Summon Nature's Ally II
Wand of Ray of Enfeeblement (1d6+2 str)
Wand of Glitterdust (will DC 15)
Wand of Entangle (ref DC 14)
Wand of Blindness (fort DC 15)
Wand of Silent Image

I've already figured out about using the Metamagic Item infusion with Persist Spell on Lesser Vigor, and I also have Split Ray for that Ray of Enfeeblement, but I'm looking to diversify with more utility stuff, or lvl1 spells that are excellent for persisting. Any suggestions?

ocato
2008-09-17, 04:26 PM
I'd reconsider your list of wands, it seems like some fat could stand to be cut. As for dimension dooring, you can use your armor enhancement infusion to add the Aporter ability (20,000gp, MiC). It allows 2 800' dimension doors a day. You can also throw vanishing on your weapon (8,000gp, MiC) for another 60' dimension door/day. These are all usable through infusions daily. You can also grab a few potions or scrolls, longstrider and Expeditious retreat are good for dropping your butt to run.

As for your wands:

Magic Missile- I prefer to just use a crossbow, infuse and GMW that puppy
Repair Light- Got a WF damage sponge in the party? Your infusions might be able to handle this without a wand. Depends on your party.
Wand of Reduce Person, Enlarge Person - I don't know why you need wands of these two. I can see some uses, but mostly I'd probably just scroll them for random use. If you have a melee character who demands to be big, then go for it. But take the XP out of his ass.
Wand of Knock- Maybe I'm silly, but Open Lock are class skills. I suggest using a scroll for super tough locks (or your rusting grasp infusion maybe) but that's my personal opinion.
Wand of Summon Nature's Ally II- trapspringers? Again, Search and disable device is a class skill. Use your party members otherwise. If they die, you can eat their loot!
Wands of Entangle (ref DC 14), Blindness (fort DC 15), Silent Image (will DC ??)- Honestly, these DCs are low enough (and your ECL is high enough) that you aren't going to get them working except on those fun times that you almost can guarantee that they will work. I'd scroll them if you insist on having them.

As for persisting things, I personally believe that you can get just as much mileage out of extending the right things. Do you need things persisted? All day? Maybe they help if you're rolling cleric spells, but persisting see invisibility and lesser vigor when you have to blow money on wands and scrolls is only going to take you so far. You might want to call this a case of Bang v. Buck. Especially if your party has a cleric who can/should be doing things like this.

Apparently you aren't going Blastificer (which is a perfectly wise and good plan) but you might do well with a wand of pew pew. I know, the crossbow works so well, but you can get a Wand of Scorching Ray CL 9 for 5000gp and ~400XP (with the feats), which may sound steep but each charge is three rays.

I'd suggest Chain Spell and a wand of Resist Energy CL 5 (Effective CL 7) Resist Energy for 20 resistance for the whole gang, a wand of heroism (feel free to cheap out on CL, go CL3 for 30 minutes. It'll get you through a few fights in a row) or something, and maybe some of those delightful persists you seem to really want. Mass Lesser Vigor, Mass Conviction, Recitation, etc etc. You should really also consider a few potions of barkskin (for those every little bit helps scenarios) and remember you can Infuse Mass Shield of Faith. Don't be shy about chain spellings your Magic Vestments/GMW infusions if you're feeling saucy and grab some scrolls of silence (for for sneakins), spiderclimb (for creepins) and maybe a Lesser Restoration or two (for stopping your friends from the weepins). Again, my Artificer experience is small, these are just my opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt.

sonofzeal
2008-09-17, 05:21 PM
I'd reconsider your list of wands, it seems like some fat could stand to be cut. As for dimension dooring, you can use your armor enhancement infusion to add the Aporter ability (20,000gp, MiC). It allows 2 800' dimension doors a day. You can also throw vanishing on your weapon (8,000gp, MiC) for another 60' dimension door/day. These are all usable through infusions daily. You can also grab a few potions or scrolls, longstrider and Expeditious retreat are good for dropping your butt to run.
Thanks, that Aporter one sounds like a lifesaver! Unfortunately, my character is such that fleeing on foot is both out-of-character and more or less futile; he's a cripple with a base speed of 10 as a result of his self-experimentation. That's why a rapid magical retreat route is key.

As for your wands:

Magic Missile- I prefer to just use a crossbow, infuse and GMW that puppy
Repair Light- Got a WF damage sponge in the party? Your infusions might be able to handle this without a wand. Depends on your party.
Wand of Reduce Person, Enlarge Person - I don't know why you need wands of these two. I can see some uses, but mostly I'd probably just scroll them for random use. If you have a melee character who demands to be big, then go for it. But take the XP out of his ass.
Wand of Knock- Maybe I'm silly, but Open Lock are class skills. I suggest using a scroll for super tough locks (or your rusting grasp infusion maybe) but that's my personal opinion.
Wand of Summon Nature's Ally II- trapspringers? Again, Search and disable device is a class skill. Use your party members otherwise. If they die, you can eat their loot!
Wands of Entangle (ref DC 14), Blindness (fort DC 15), Silent Image (will DC ??)- Honestly, these DCs are low enough (and your ECL is high enough) that you aren't going to get them working except on those fun times that you almost can guarantee that they will work. I'd scroll them if you insist on having them.

As for persisting things, I personally believe that you can get just as much mileage out of extending the right things. Do you need things persisted? All day? Maybe they help if you're rolling cleric spells, but persisting see invisibility and lesser vigor when you have to blow money on wands and scrolls is only going to take you so far. You might want to call this a case of Bang v. Buck. Especially if your party has a cleric who can/should be doing things like this.

Apparently you aren't going Blastificer (which is a perfectly wise and good plan) but you might do well with a wand of pew pew. I know, the crossbow works so well, but you can get a Wand of Scorching Ray CL 9 for 5000gp and ~400XP (with the feats), which may sound steep but each charge is three rays.

I'd suggest Chain Spell and a wand of Resist Energy CL 5 (Effective CL 7) Resist Energy for 20 resistance for the whole gang, a wand of heroism (feel free to cheap out on CL, go CL3 for 30 minutes. It'll get you through a few fights in a row) or something, and maybe some of those delightful persists you seem to really want. Mass Lesser Vigor, Mass Conviction, Recitation, etc etc. You should really also consider a few potions of barkskin (for those every little bit helps scenarios) and remember you can Infuse Mass Shield of Faith. Don't be shy about chain spellings your Magic Vestments/GMW infusions if you're feeling saucy and grab some scrolls of silence (for for sneakins), spiderclimb (for creepins) and maybe a Lesser Restoration or two (for stopping your friends from the weepins). Again, my Artificer experience is small, these are just my opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt.
Magic Missile - I've also packed a ranged weapon, but I think a good wand of Magic Missile is rarely wasted.

Repair Light - yeah, probably right. I'll drop it.

Wand of Reduce Person, Enlarge Person - Persistable. Worth it for that alone, IMO.

Wand of Knock - I can't afford the skillpoints for Open Lock, and I know for a fact there's no rogue in the party.

Wand of Summon Nature's Ally II - necessary for flavor reasons, specifically for access to elementals. I got into Fleshwarper via "Graft Elemental Flesh", so being able to summon more raw materials is worth the price.

Wands of Entangle (ref DC 14), Blindness (fort DC 15), Silent Image (will DC 14) - Silent Image only gives a save if you interact with it and is still useful; Entangle offers some secondary effects even if they pass the save. Blindness can be dropped though, yeah. I just wanted a Fort save thing kicking around.

Resist Energy - awesome idea, I'll use that.

Scorching Ray - on my to-get list already. If I have the money, it's a prime candidate for Power Surge and/or Split Ray.

Scrolls of spiderclimb/Silence - good ideas, I'll pack a few.

As for persisting things - that's what the Metamagic Item infusion is for. At the cost of a single 3rd lvl infusion slot per day, I can give permanent Fast Healing 1 to the whole party for 1 charge each. Excellent cost-per-return if we're going to be taking any damage at all. And no, I don't believe we have any DMM-cheese clerics.

ocato
2008-09-17, 08:28 PM
You know, I glazed over that infusion (metamagic spell item) a few times and it never occurred to me to cheaper-persist something like that. Good thinking. And, for the record, Divine Metamagic Persist isn't inherently cheese. It's as cheesy as you choose to cheese it.

sonofzeal
2008-09-17, 11:56 PM
Adding "Ray of Clumsiness" to the wand list.

Still looking for any more escape-item ideas. The ideal would be something like a keyed Teleport, where I could only jump to a specific location.

BobVosh
2008-09-18, 12:07 AM
I have the DMG magic item guidelines, plus any spell I can find, at my disposal, but the table I have seems really incomplete. For example, how much would an x/day spell completion or spell trigger item of Dimension Door be?

There is a reason for that, which they go over in the magic item compendium. There is no magic item or rules on how to make a magic item like that. Your best bet is a scroll of teleport. Depending on your money a contigency: Teleport for (Rambo!) works well for GTFO spelling.

MeklorIlavator
2008-09-18, 12:08 AM
You realize that things summoned through the summon monster X line disappear completely when killed, thus no body parts or anything, right? If you want materials you want the planar ally spells.

sonofzeal
2008-09-18, 12:39 AM
There is a reason for that, which they go over in the magic item compendium. There is no magic item or rules on how to make a magic item like that. Your best bet is a scroll of teleport. Depending on your money a contigency: Teleport for (Rambo!) works well for GTFO spelling.
I'll consider it, but I'm guessing it's outside of budget ATM. That'll change when I start making EVERYTHING for EVERYONE though.... :smallcool: Probably just stick with ocato "Aporter" armor trick.

You realize that things summoned through the summon monster X line disappear completely when killed, thus no body parts or anything, right? If you want materials you want the planar ally spells.
Out of budget, and I don't think the DM's going to be that strict. As long as I can get elementals there to make use of its essence, we should be good.

Douglas
2008-09-18, 01:24 AM
Wand of Reduce Person, Enlarge Person - Persistable. Worth it for that alone, IMO.
Nope. Persist requires personal or fixed range. Reduce and Enlarge person both have Close range, which varies with caster level.

BobVosh
2008-09-18, 02:59 AM
Nope. Persist requires personal or fixed range. Reduce and Enlarge person both have Close range, which varies with caster level.

Better to persist a wand of divine might anyway.

sonofzeal
2008-09-18, 01:16 PM
Aww shucks. I can still Extend it... but out of a wand it's hardly worth it.

Better to persist a wand of divine might anyway.
Awesome idea; I may not have the money, but I'll keep that in mind.

sonofzeal
2008-09-18, 08:00 PM
Is investing in a good Iron Defender mount worthwhile? It seems like an awful lot of money, for something that's still pretty easy to kill no matter what I do...