PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate E-mail Addresses for GiantITP.com

RawBearNYC
2006-01-12, 09:51 PM
*grumble* *mutter* *spit*

Got another e-mail from a user who used his work e-mail address to register for the message boards.

For Pete's sake, people, don't use your work e-mail addresses to sign up for non work-related message boards. Yahoo and gmail are free, just go get one of those addresses. I think you can forward both to your work e-mails if that's important to you. But going straight to your work address is a mistake.

Why, you ask? Because people quit (or they get fired, but noone here would get fired). They quit and get a new job with a new e-mail address. But do they remember to update their profiles on the various sites they join? No.

Next thing you know, they've forgotten their password for the site, and they want me to reset their password. But how do I know they're who they say they are? That they're not a friend, neighbor, relative trying to have a laugh (or worse) by hijacking someone's account.

Now, I have to come up with some clever scheme to let this guy prove he's who he says he is.

*grumble* *mutter* *spit*

The Giant
2006-01-12, 09:57 PM
I'm in whole-hearted agreement.

For another reason not to use it, just the other day I had to ban a member—a long-time member who had clearly registered more than a year ago. Now, once you're banned, you can't read anything on the boards at all. No PMs, no mod posts, nothing. So the only way to let someone know that they've been banned and the reasons and logic behind it is to email them. But the email bounced, coming back as a permanent fatal error. Because it was clearly a work email address, and he didn't work there anymore. So now this person has had no explanation why he was banned, and on the off-chance he didn't realize he was crossing the line (and he did, in this case, but still) it would come as a complete shock.

Please, if you have your work email (or any other nonvalid email) listed as your sole email, take a moment to go to your Profile page and update it to a new email address. Thank you.

ghostrunner
2006-01-13, 04:22 PM
Maybe you should list this in all of the forum subsections. I don't always read the "Board Issues" threads; others probably ignore it similarly.

Samiam303
2006-01-13, 05:11 PM
Or better yet, make a news post about it. I think the fact that you can tell people someone was actually banned like that will drive it home a bit.

ghostrunner
2006-01-13, 06:16 PM
Ooo, yeah. That's even better. I second that. (I say as though I have any influence...)