PDA

View Full Version : Can't Find Server

Wiz
2008-09-17, 07:59 PM
I'm running off a mac at home and for the past couple of days, every time I log in at home, I initially connect, but as soon as I send anything, the computer looses the server for gitp, and can't find it again. It's OSX Tiger and Safari for the connection. Now at work, on IBM machines I connect fine... so I know the server is up. Now I've remotely connected at home with another laptop, and I can access it, but my main computer can't.

Is there some kind of setting issue that would cause my computer to not be able to find the server, or have I been given some kind of local virus by some idiot who didn't take my roleplaying well and wanted to punish me in some way.

Moral Wiz
2008-09-18, 01:11 AM
Actually... I've been experiancing something similar, now I think about it.

I can connect, and work the site fine from my home computer, and most computers, but my work computer won't let it thru. And it's not blocked, it gives a timed out message, which I think might be similar to Wiz's one

IE basic there.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-18, 08:05 AM
Maybe there's something wrong with your firewall settings. Those would be located in the "Sharing" Panel of your System Preferences. If you hit the "Advanced" button, there is an option to check the firewall log. You should be able to see if giantitp is getting blocked there.

And since your laptop is working well, you can also check to see if the settings on your main computer match the settings on the laptop.

Wiz
2008-09-18, 09:31 AM
Thanks. :)

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-18, 09:55 PM
So it was the firewall? You got it fixed?

Wiz
2008-09-18, 11:27 PM
Nope, I've still got the problem, and even when the firewall is off.

Rawhide
2008-09-20, 12:33 AM
Actually, the two problems seem completely different.

Wiz: I don't know what your problem is, but it does seem like your computer as you have all but one able to access the site from the same location just fine.

Moral Wiz:

Assuming you are running Windows, try clicking on Start> Run>, type "cmd" (sans quotes) then press OK, type "ipconfig /flushdns" (sans quotes again) and press Enter. If it doesn't work after that, try using a different browser (Firefox if you use Internet Explorer or vice versa).

Failing that, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and tell them that you are unable to connect to www.giantitp.com (IP address 174.133.238.154).

At the same time, if you can PM me or email the following information to webmaster at thisdomain.com (of course, replace " at " with "@" and "thisdomain" with "giantitp").

Your IP address
A traceroute (tracert) to giantitp.com from your computer

IP Address

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type "cmd" (sans quotes) and press Enter
Type "ipconfig" (sans quotes again) and press Enter
Without closing that window, open a browser and go to www.whatismyip.com
Copy and paste both results in a PM to me or email to the giantitp webmaster address above

Traceroute (tracert)

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type "cmd" (sans quotes) and press Enter
Type "tracert giantitp.com" (sans quotes again) and press Enter
Copy and paste the results in a PM to me or email to the giantitp webmaster address above

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-20, 07:00 AM
Nope, I've still got the problem, and even when the firewall is off.
Okay, I have no idea what the problem is.

I just realized you only specified trying to connect with Safari. Have you tried any other browsers? Even if you don't generally use them, it's not a bad idea to keep the likes of Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/) or Opera (http://www.opera.com/) around so you can check if a particular problem is just with the browser or with the computer.

Wiz
2008-09-20, 10:34 AM
Yes, I tried firefox too... same results. Thank you all for your advice, I'm still trying to work with it. It is a mac system, OSX Tiger, not windows.