PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Quaals Tokens like Energy Wall crystal. How to decide what way the wall faces?

newbDM
2008-09-17, 08:36 PM
Hey guys.

I am designing this set of items for the dungeon my players are currently in, but I am stuck at the moment.

Item:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/sc0003a4d7.jpg

How it works:

This set of psionic items is based on the psionic power Energy Wall (*clicky*) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyWall.htm).
They look like gems, but are in fact carefully cut rare crystals of various colors (See Appraise Check Results below).
They come in two forms (long and rectangular, or small and round), and in four different colors (Blue, Pink, Red, and Yellow).
They are use-activated items, which need to be shattered to active the power within them. This can be accomplished by either bashing one against a hard surface (such as a floor, wall, rock, etc), or crushing it in one's hand (no strength check required).
These crystals can also be shattered by being thrown in an unoccupied square, against an unattended object, or against another creature or an item in it's possession. This is done with a ranged Touch Attack. This item has a 10ft increment.
When one of these crystals is shattered a wall of energy escapes from within it, as by the the psionic power Energy Wall. This Energy Wall is centered on the spot where the crystal broke apart.
A long crystals create an Energy Wall 20ft long/5ft think/10ft tall centered on where the crystal shattered, while a circular crystal creates a ring Energy Wall 5ft thick/10ft tall centered where the crystal shattered.
The energy type of the wall created depends on the color of the crystal: Blue = Cold, Pink = Sonic, Red = Fire, and Yellow = Electricity.
The level of the power held within these items (Energy Wall) is Lv.3, and the Manifester Level is 5.
The save DC for this item is DC14 (Lv.3 power [+3], and the minimum Int score needed to manifest this power is 13 [+1])

Appraise check results:

DC5 = Reveals that these are not gems, but are instead beautifully cut crystals.
DC12 = Reveals the physical value of these crystals as jewels (Blue ones average 30gp per short ones and 90gp per long one, Pink ones average 100gp per small ones and 200gp per long ones, Red ones average 25gp per short ones and 75gp per long ones, and Yellow ones average 10gp per small ones and 20gp per long ones.). Note that these are an estimate of their prices as ordinary jewels, not as psionic items.
DC15 = Reveals that these are very rare forms of crystals, which are highly sought after by psionicists. Psionicists are able to imbue psionic energy and powers into these types of crystals.
DC25 = Reveals that there seems to be some sort of energy/force held within this crystal(s). It takes one who is very experienced in crystals/gems/jewels to notice such a subtle thing, or at least an extremely lucky amateur (hence the high DC).

Psionic Item's Price:
Effect
Base Price
Single use, use-activated
Power Level x Manifester Level x 50gp

Item total: 750gp (Power Lv.3 x ML 5 x 50gp)

I believe I have done everything right so far, but now I am stuck on how to decide which way the line/long Energy Wall face.

At first I thought about making it random, but then that would make them dangerous to the PCs themselves, and a gable to use. Although I often like such things in my games (humor and randomness is a big part of my games :D), I am worried the PCs/players will simply not use them and be angry at losing so much possible wealth on these items. I am about to randomly generate how many of which kind and color they are going to get based on the encounter level's total worth, so I am not even sure how many of the long ones there will be in the batch.

As always, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

If you would all be so kind as to tell me your personal opinions, advice, ideas, or critiques about this set of items that would also be appreciated. I am still very new to making items as a DM, so I want to learn from my mistakes to improve.

DracoDei
2008-09-18, 05:47 AM
Perpendicular, and centered on, a line straight from the thrower to the impact point. Damaging side away from thrower.

Rings damaging inward, if you want it to be an offensive item. If defensive, make it centered outward. (or even have two different subsets for the round crystals so that some do one, some the other, and they can be told appart).

Magnor Criol
2008-09-18, 05:09 PM
The crystals are psychic energy-based items, so it'd be pretty reasonable to say that it's simply based on what the thrower wants, and the psychic energies inside pick up on their thoughts.

If you wanted to make a check out of it, make some check - concentration? Manifester level? I don't know psionics very well, so I don't know what'd be best, really. Make it low difficulty, so most anyone can make it pretty easily. Actual psionicists would be able to make it easier than non-psionicists, letting skill play a role (albiet minor), and there'd be an aspect of chance so there'd still be humor/randomness involved.

By the way, nicely done - it looks well balanced and well designed. Props.

thevorpalbunny
2008-09-18, 07:51 PM
I would say default to perpendicular to thrown, damage determined randomly, with a manifester level check vs. DC 10 to control direction of damage or DC 15 (10 + manifester level) to place it in a nonstandard way.

DracoDei
2008-09-19, 11:46 AM
Having the wall default to "away from thrower" seems pretty important... the circles can be random if the roll is failed.
VERY important to explicitly state that these caster level checks can be made untrained if one goes that route.

newbDM
2008-09-27, 05:17 PM
Rings damaging inward, if you want it to be an offensive item. If defensive, make it centered outward. (or even have two different subsets for the round crystals so that some do one, some the other, and they can be told appart).

Damn. I did not even remember that the rings can shoot either inward or outward.

These items are turning out more confusing than I had expected.

The crystals are psychic energy-based items, so it'd be pretty reasonable to say that it's simply based on what the thrower wants, and the psychic energies inside pick up on their thoughts.

Well, I am trying to make items which are self-contained. By this I mean that they are made to be used by anyone, and do not require any form of connection to the user.

Plus I try to run a more "logic" oriented style of DMing, and this just makes it too convenient in my mind.

If you wanted to make a check out of it, make some check - concentration? Manifester level? I don't know psionics very well, so I don't know what'd be best, really. Make it low difficulty, so most anyone can make it pretty easily. Actual psionicists would be able to make it easier than non-psionicists, letting skill play a role (albiet minor), and there'd be an aspect of chance so there'd still be humor/randomness involved.

That is an idea. And I love the part about psionicists being naturally better at using such items.

By the way, nicely done - it looks well balanced and well designed. Props.

Dude, thank you. That means a lot to me. It is nice to know I am starting to get things right. :smallsmile:

I would say default to perpendicular to thrown, damage determined randomly, with a manifester level check vs. DC 10 to control direction of damage or DC 15 (10 + manifester level) to place it in a nonstandard way.

Let me see if I understood this correctly. So you're saying make it auto perpendicular, but use the checks if the user wants to make the wall face differently instead of always needing a check?

Having the wall default to "away from thrower" seems pretty important... the circles can be random if the roll is failed.
VERY important to explicitly state that these caster level checks can be made untrained if one goes that route.

I am sorry, can you repeat that please?

thevorpalbunny
2008-09-27, 06:59 PM
Let me see if I understood this correctly. So you're saying make it auto perpendicular, but use the checks if the user wants to make the wall face differently instead of always needing a check?

Yup, that's exactly what I meant. There's a default value but with willpower you can change the "programming."