PDA

View Full Version : How do you destroy a castle made of cake?

Ditto
2008-09-17, 08:45 PM
For my friend's going-away-study-abroad party on Friday, we are making two castle-mold cakes. The plan is to have a pastry-related war waged with muffins... and sprinkles... and all manner of other highly ineffective weapons. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how I might go about making a tiny confectionary seige engine. :smallsmile:

The mold is of a sort you might be familiar with - it's about 1 foot square (at most... more like 8 inches), hollow little courtyard area in the middle, with tower bits on each of the four corners.

I can't think of anything amusing to demolish it with, except perhaps catapulting muffins at them. Both items are spongy and resilient, so it's a tough call. I'm thinking making a rubber band ballista and shooting toothpicks at the cake might be fun, but I'm not sure whether it can be launched hard enough to embed in the wall. Hilarious destructive ideas are welcome and encouraged!

Mr. Wimmer
2008-09-17, 09:12 PM
Replace the rubber band with a bouncy ball, and it becomes sufficiently destructive.

Silverware would also work, if you don't mind danger :smallbiggrin:

reorith
2008-09-17, 09:16 PM
well if your castle is anything like my ex-gf, just tell it that you out grew her and her sister actually understands you.

Enlong
2008-09-17, 09:38 PM
Eat it. :smallbiggrin:

OK, now that I got the obvious answer out of the way...

If you can get the cake wet, a sufficiently strong projectile should smash through the wall. Maybe load your catapults with containers full of milk(don't cry if it spills, you launched it) or ice cream (goes better with cake, would soak a lot) Then launch muffins at the soggy cake wall. You could also fire candles instead of toothpicks. They should stick better since they have more mass, and therefore, more firepower.

Jack Squat
2008-09-17, 10:23 PM
working off of Enlong's suggestion of getting it wet.

http://images.sscentral.org/reviews/monster_xl_00.jpg

ApeofLight
2008-09-17, 10:24 PM
I suggest day old cookie projectiles along with candles.

loves_to_laugh
2008-09-17, 10:25 PM
Acid.

Or tell it that it's a lie and have it disappear

or get it wet like englong suggested. Once it is wet it will be less spongy therefore (in theory) easier to destroy with scones or muffins

13_CBS
2008-09-17, 10:28 PM
I also support the "get it wet" solution. Either that, or launch a relatively dense mass at it.

OM NOM NOM works too.

Unique
2008-09-17, 11:03 PM
With cleansing righteous fire of justice, of course!

Or.... let's see... You could launch frosting at it.
You could also get ahold of some manner of novelyt oversized toothpicks for teh lulz.

reorith
2008-09-17, 11:06 PM
oversized toothpicks? bamboo skewers come to mind.

Unique
2008-09-17, 11:37 PM
My sister has bamboo cooking tools. I get angry when people refer to them as being made of wood. They're not. Bamboo is grass.

Enlong
2008-09-18, 12:05 AM
My sister has bamboo cooking tools. I get angry when people refer to them as being made of wood. They're not. Bamboo is grass.

DUDE. You learn something every day. That has got to be the most hardcore grass I've ever seen. (which is funny 'cause it doesn't have a core, hard or otherwise)

Unique
2008-09-18, 12:20 AM
DUDE. You learn something every day. That has got to be the most hardcore grass I've ever seen. (which is funny 'cause it doesn't have a core, hard or otherwise)
I'm chockfull of useless trivia.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-18, 12:21 AM
Can you smoke bamboo?

Anyway, if you really want to go with the ballista idea, I reccomend sharpening some of those big, thick pretzel sticks and launching those. There's plenty of mass and you can eat them afterwards.

Mr_Saturn
2008-09-18, 12:23 AM
A banana tree is a grass too. XD

I recommend wetting the castle with coffee or milk. =)

reorith
2008-09-18, 12:24 AM
Can you smoke bamboo?

Anyway, if you really want to go with the ballista idea, I reccomend sharpening some of those big, thick pretzel sticks and launching those. There's plenty of mass and you can eat them afterwards.

yes. yes you can.

also, i can see someone becoming seriously injured by your sharpened pretzel sticks.

Boo
2008-09-18, 12:30 AM
Throw icecream at eachother. It's expensive, but totally worth it.

You could also try using roman candles:smallbiggrin:, but... yeah.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-09-18, 01:17 AM
Heh.. kids these days :confused:

Back in my day we just drank with good ole' Jack Daniels and Cap'n Morgan for a going away party.

Amotis
2008-09-18, 01:18 AM
Okay, seriously, but where's booze? Doesn't really sound like a party if all you're going to do is play games and eat cake.

Rum cake?

Dude, with that in mind this could turn into like a more filling and war-like version of beer pong!

Don Julio Anejo
2008-09-18, 01:20 AM
Rum cake?

Dude, with that in mind this could turn into like a more filling and war-like version of beer pong!
Now we're talking :biggrin:

thubby
2008-09-18, 01:52 AM
sour balls+wrist rockets (just don't stand on the opposing side of the cake)

Ditto
2008-09-18, 07:38 AM
Soggy is the obvious choice, yes... not sure if they'll want me slopping buckets of that around. Makes it difficult to use as 'boiling oil' to repel invaders, too, since it'll weaken your wall so much in splash damage.

I like making rubberband-litcandle ballistae. Very Robin Hood. :smallbiggrin:

If we use little people to attack, a fork would be great for seige-ladder-raising. Pretzel sticks are good for battering rams, except a cake doesn't have doors, per se. I'm sure the little pastry assaulters will figure it out. Now, to construct a rubberband candle cannon...

(Note: Several attempts later, I've discovered it's not as easy as you might think. More research required.)

Vella_Malachite
2008-09-18, 07:47 AM
Gobstoppers would do some major bludgeoning damage, I would say. You could make a little trebuchet or something.

Charity
2008-09-18, 08:21 AM
Employ gerbil sappers.

Storm Bringer
2008-09-18, 08:32 AM
YES!

Undermining, people! that most classic of siege tactics, that devil's trick that has brought dowm many a proud wall!

if you need some boiling oil, may i recommend a fairly thick liquid, like melted chocolate or syrup. they don't permiate the cake that much, plus your castle is now covered in chocolate!

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-18, 08:49 AM
Tell them the cake is a LIE!:smalltongue:

Or NOM it.

Pandaren
2008-09-18, 08:58 AM
Whatever you use, we need pictures.

SilverSheriff
2008-09-18, 09:16 AM
I've gotta see this, I might do it myself. :biggrin:

Ditto
2008-09-18, 09:16 AM
Speaking of cake, may I ask what prompted the sudden rash of Jibari-cupcake-ification of avatars all over the forum?

valadil
2008-09-18, 09:31 AM
Fruit cake. I don't mean some fresh store bought fruit cake. I'm talking about the one that's sat in closets for the last 25 years only brought out to be regifted at christmas.

Suspend that with something gooey and stringy like a twizzler pull and peel. Pull back the fruit cake. Use as battering ram.

Castaras
2008-09-18, 10:01 AM
Speaking of cake, may I ask what prompted the sudden rash of Jibari-cupcake-ification of avatars all over the forum?

Catmuffin week.

Link in signature, because I'm too lazy to find the thread.

Ditto
2008-09-18, 11:58 AM
...I think I have to get one.

evisiron
2008-09-18, 01:19 PM
I also support the "get it wet" solution. Either that, or launch a relatively dense mass at it.

OM NOM NOM works too.

Damn you Lolninja's!!

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-18, 02:55 PM
Cocktail swords!

Spring loaded candy launchers! Boiling chocolate sauce! sharpened vegetables!

Idea fountain running low!:smallbiggrin:

Adlan
2008-09-18, 03:19 PM
You live in America right? Shouldn't be too hard to get some black powder pistol's. Mount them on a few trunnion's, and have miniture cannon's.

Yeah, don't do that. Please don't do that.

Alchemical Fire (rum or Brandy), then a Suicide Hero to light it, and burn the castle down!

yeah, maybe not that idea either.

Telonius
2008-09-18, 03:23 PM
Frosting "boiling oil" on the battlements.

wadledo
2008-09-18, 03:33 PM
Dog+cake castle+peanut butter= ?????

:smallbiggrin:

Logic
2008-09-18, 03:37 PM

Because Jibar is just plain AWESOME. So we gave him a whole week to bask in his glory, and imitate him. For imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Catmuffin week.

Link in signature, because I'm too lazy to find the thread.

Yeah, what the lady said...

Eldan
2008-09-18, 04:02 PM
I suggest loading chocolate into small catapults. Pralines should work well, maybe truffe.

Muz
2008-09-18, 05:00 PM
Try all sorts of ideas. Don't get discouraged if your first cake-siege idea doesn't work, and don't give up. Or to put it another way...

There's no use crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake.
:biggrin:

Dr. Bath
2008-09-18, 05:00 PM
You want a trebuchet that fires peanut m&ms or perhaps a bigger projectile. Chocolates with a nut centre might be pretty good... or fairy cakes. Fairy cakes would have a bigger mass, and the paper cup thingy would give it that extra bit of strength so perhaps they would be the best option. Although muffins might be as good.

Failing a trebuchet, a rubber slingshot would work well.

mangosta71
2008-09-18, 05:02 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GAUnuuBkW4) is all that need be said.