PDA

View Full Version : Snowfolk

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-09-17, 08:51 PM
The Snowfolk
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb123/Demon_Lace/FANTASY/TheEvilSnowman.jpg
The Snowfolk are a creation of a mad Wizard whom lived in the Arctic Circles, he experimented with many animation spells and one cold Octember night a test went horribly wrong and magical discharge spewed from his windows and other orifices of his house.Some of this Arcane ooze fell upon a patch of new snow, and the snow began to slosh itself together into a being of Human characteristics. Some took scattered clothing and wood from the wreckage to create parts their counterparts had. Soon Their eyes glew with a blueish glint of thought as one of them,the smallest, stood on its legs and began to drudge towards the Mad mage's lab, growing in girth every step until he was bigger than the Lab, it brought up its fists,scared of the fire brewing in the lab and tore his fists into the lab, and brought them out, Mage in the other Snowfolk came around him as they lay him on the floor, the Smallest, now the Largest, took a blade from the mage's pocket and cut open his head,extracting his brain and placing it inside of its own. The eyes
glew now with Hellish Red Flames as the creature grinned and said "Now we go to the Mainlands."

Snowfolk
Medium Construct(Cold)
HD 2d10+20 (31)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init: +0
AC 15(+1 Dex, +4 Nat Armor); touch 11; flat-footed 14
BAB +1; Grp +4
Attack Slam +4 (1d6+1, 20/x3 + 1d6 cold)
Full-Attack Slam +4 (1d6+1, 20/x3 + 1d6 cold)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks None
Special Qualities Cold Immunity, Construct Traits, Snow Growth ,DR 8/Magic
Saves Fort +3 Ref +1 Will -1
Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con -, Int 5, Wis 8, Cha 10
Skills*
Feats Power Attack
Environment Cold Areas, Temperate Areas in winter
Organization Lone(1), Pair(2),Snow(1d8+4),Avalanche(15d10+10,+1d4 large sized), Main Group(50d10+25, 2d10+15 Large sized, 1d10+5 huge sized and the Snowmage*)
Challenge Rating 4
Treasure None
AlignmentChaotic Neutral
Advancement by TYPE; Favored Class
Level Adjustment +1-6(Large)+7-10(huge)

Snowgrowth for every 30 feet a Snowfolk moves through snow, the Snowfolk gains a +1 temporary hit die. up to +4. These hit die diminish every 4 rounds a Snowfolk remains in direct heat. This, and damage, are the only ways a Snowfolk can lose these hit dice.

*Not completed yet, sorry, I will finish it Tomorrow, most of it, at least.

RTGoodman
2008-09-17, 09:45 PM
This reminds of Bad Mr. Frosty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Fighter), which can't be a bad thing. :smallbiggrin:

I'll wait to see it completed before I give it a full look-over, but as of right now I can point out that it's HP are off, since Constructs gain bonus HP based on size (as per HERE (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#constructType)). It should have +20 HP, giving it a total of 28.

erikun
2008-09-17, 11:16 PM
Interesting thought (and awesome picture), but some things aren't adding up. +3 BAB at only 2HD? DR 5/- for a CR 2?

Well, it should be interested to see what happens with this.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-17, 11:20 PM
It should have +20 HP, giving it a total of 28.

The average of 2d8 is 9HP, so it should be 29 with the Construct bonus HP. There are other mechanical & mathematical errors, but that one's a good place to start. :smallwink:

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-09-18, 05:58 AM
I'm not really good with CR's, its usually that I make it to strong or too weak for the designated CR.

SilentNight
2008-09-18, 08:27 AM
I'm thinking five is a bit high for CR. This remind anyone else of Calvin & Hobbes? :smallbiggrin:

Debihuman
2008-09-18, 12:07 PM
BAB is wrong; it's +1 (3/4 X 2 = 1)
Grapple is +4
Slam is +4 melee
Constructs get NO good saves. For a 2 HD construct, the base save +0.

Fort is Base Save + Con modifier for a +3, Reflex Save is Base Save + Dex modifer for +1, Will is Base Save + Wis modifier (Wis 8 has a modifer of -1) for a -1,

Because it only has an Int of 5 (-3 modifier for skills) it only gets 5 skill points.

Because it has 2 HD, it only has 1 feat and any bonus feats that you give it.

Because of their affinity to snow and cold shouldn't they have Cold Immunity? "A creature with cold immunity never takes cold damage. It has vulnerability to fire, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from fire, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure."

Debby

RTGoodman
2008-09-18, 02:20 PM
I'm thinking five is a bit high for CR. This remind anyone else of Calvin & Hobbes? :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, it seems like it a bit, but that's just eyeballin' it. If you're looking to put a CR on it, Vorpal Tribble's method is really good and the method I generally use when I homebrew a monster.

Divide its average HP by 4.5 to 6, 4.5 for 5 HD or lower, 5 for 6-10 HD, 5.5 for 11-15 HD, 6 for 16-20 HD.
Add 1 for each five points above 10 its AC is, minusing 1 for every 5 below.
Add 1 for each special attack (+2 to +5 or more if its got a decent number of spells in its spell-like abilities).
Add 1 for each quality unless you deem it worthy of more. Add 1 for each resistance and 10 points of DR it has, and 2 for each immunity.
Add 1 for every two bonus feats it has.
Divide by 3.

Also, to the OP: If you haven't checked it out, Fax_Celestis's Guide to Homebrewing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313) is an EXCELLENT source of info for homebrewing basically anything. There's a reason it's stickied 'round these parts!