PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Multiclassed Warlocks?

LibraryOgre
2008-09-18, 05:46 PM
Ok, I've been a multi-classed Warlock (as in, a Wizard multied to Warlock) for several sessions, and something doesn't make sense to me. Rangers and rogues are both able to use their "Extra Damage" ability as an encounter power when one multiclasses into them. Warlocks, however, get the at-will associated with their pact. I get that part.

However, those who multi to Warlock have the option of following one of the Warlock Paragon Paths... all of whom have a special effect related to their Warlock's Curse. Without that, someone following the Doomsayer path can't do extra damage when they take an extra action, feytouched warlocks can't use misty step (since they can't curse anyone), and the Infernal Warlock can't use either his 11th or 12th level path powers.

Wouldn't allowing them to use Warlock's Curse, and the pact effect associated with it, as an encounter power make more sense, given the options that are supposed to be open to a multi-classed Warlock?

Starsinger
2008-09-18, 05:53 PM
Ok, I've been a multi-classed Warlock (as in, a Wizard multied to Warlock) for several sessions, and something doesn't make sense to me. Rangers and rogues are both able to use their "Extra Damage" ability as an encounter power when one multiclasses into them. Warlocks, however, get the at-will associated with their pact. I get that part.

However, those who multi to Warlock have the option of following one of the Warlock Paragon Paths... all of whom have a special effect related to their Warlock's Curse. Without that, someone following the Doomsayer path can't do extra damage when they take an extra action, feytouched warlocks can't use misty step (since they can't curse anyone), and the Infernal Warlock can't use either his 11th or 12th level path powers.

Wouldn't allowing them to use Warlock's Curse, and the pact effect associated with it, as an encounter power make more sense, given the options that are supposed to be open to a multi-classed Warlock?

You also are eligible for the Evermeet Warlock path from the Forgotten Realms Player's guide. Beyond that, using an at-will as an Encounter seems to be the thing for Multiclassing into an Arcane class.

Kurald Galain
2008-09-18, 06:05 PM

Well, yes. From the PHB it would seem that multiclassing was added as an afterthought, and was done in a rather arbitrary and haphazard manner. This is a good example; another is that multiclassing to ranger does not allow you to enter a ranger paragon class (because you don't get the fighting style which is a prereq).

Houserule away!

erikun
2008-09-18, 07:32 PM
One big problem you're going to run into is that a multiclassed Ranger or Rogue can only use the Hunter's Quarry/Sneak Attack once per encounter. (Plus, I do believe that it was errataed that Hunter's Quarry lasts only until the end of your next turn.) Following that login, Warlock's Curse would only be used for one turn per encounter, giving you a pretty narrow limit on how much it can be used.

Other than that, I think Kurald hit the nail on the head. For whatever reason, multiclassing is very clunky with some classes. It just shows the most with the Warlock.

Mewtarthio
2008-09-18, 07:40 PM
I wonder if it would be broken to houserule that those who take a Warlock PP via multiclassing can use the curse for PP purposes, but gain to extra damage?

LibraryOgre
2008-09-19, 01:18 AM
My DM ruled that I can curse one person/encounter, getting the full benefit of the curse, including Misty Step. I do not, however, gain an at-will as an encounter power. This is generally much more useful, since my wizard damage sucks.

Charity
2008-09-19, 05:59 AM
You could just make up an extra multiclass feat of getting those benifits, I can't see it being a big problem balancewise.

Blackfang108
2008-09-19, 10:20 AM
Quickcurse rod from the loot book lets you curse someone once per encounter.

I'm going to email WotC and see if MC Warlocks would gain their corresponding Pact Boon. I'll post the response in this thread when I receive it.

LibraryOgre
2008-09-19, 10:22 AM
"I'm going to e-mail Wizards of the Coast" is the gaming equivalent of "I'm going to consult my Magic 8 Ball." The answers received are as accurate and comprehensible.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-19, 10:54 AM
"I'm going to e-mail Wizards of the Coast" is the gaming equivalent of "I'm going to consult my Magic 8 Ball." The answers received are as accurate and comprehensible.

Outlook not good?

Hzurr
2008-09-19, 02:00 PM
For a while, I had a "Muppet show" magic 8 ball. I think the correct response in this case would be "Bork Bork!"

Blackfang108
2008-09-19, 02:32 PM

Do you have a better idea?

It's at least something concrete.

Kurald Galain
2008-09-19, 04:19 PM
Do you have a better idea?

Yes. Ask your DM to allow it. Even if WOTC gives a concrete answer, which isn't a given at all, that still doesn't necessarily mean that your DM will allow it. So skip the middle man and ask him directly.

Hzurr
2008-09-19, 04:37 PM
Yes. Ask your DM to allow it. Even if WOTC gives a concrete answer, which isn't a given at all, that still doesn't necessarily mean that your DM will allow it. So skip the middle man and ask him directly.

He did ask his DM directly. And the DM said yes (because he is a kind and benevolent DM, who should be worshiped and praised). I think Mark Hall is just looking for some kindof "official" ok from on-high, to extend the benefits received from the benevolent DM to players everywhere.

*cue angels singing/trumpets*

LibraryOgre
2008-09-19, 05:25 PM
He did ask his DM directly. And the DM said yes (because he is a kind and benevolent DM, who should be worshiped and praised). I think Mark Hall is just looking for some kindof "official" ok from on-high, to extend the benefits received from the benevolent DM to players everywhere.

*cue angels singing/trumpets*

Mostly, I found something messed up and wanted other's opinions on it. I sent this before I went to the game, where I brought it up to my DM (who is adequate and kinda funny looking). ;-)

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-19, 08:40 PM
Overall, I'd have to say its better to multiclass 'Lock to Wizard. But overall, MC sucks in 4e. A lot. Its only good in some cases for qualifying for Paragon Paths. A Wizard + Warlock can also do one crazy combo:

Necrotic Web + Doom of Delban + Ultimate Orb of Imposition + Dark Fury Feat

'nuff said.