PDA

View Full Version : What Would It Take To Make You Like A DnD Movie?

String
2008-09-18, 09:04 PM
(If this is in the wrong section, notify me and I'll repost it elsewhere)

I've noticed as I've perused various Gaming sites that the Dungeons and Dragons movies were not exactly...well recieved. I don't blame anyone for that, because I personally didn't like them either. However, as recent developments in unoriginal (as in based off external source material) movies have shown (Dark Knight, Incredible Hulk, some other non-comic book movie that I'm sure was good), It IS possible to turn a franchise around, in the aforementioned cases via a reboot (or odd sequel//reboot/retry gestalt i n the case of IH). Personally, I'm still in love with the idea of a Dungeons and Dragons movie, even while admitting that the concept doesn't reverse-engineer well. It was based off Tolkien and similar fantasy writers' archtypes, and turning the classes back into full heroes isn't easy. However, I still think that a good DnD movie could be done, if given a proper budget and backing (Hell, if you convinced Lucas or Spielberg to siphon off even a miniscule fraction of the funds that they have backing projects that are foreseen to tank [clonewarstvshow] you'd be able to make a decently budgeted film).

My question for the Playground:

What would it take to make you like a DnD movie?

Personally:

- I would like to see the Iconic characters. Now that 4E is out, I'm not sure if they'd be the 4E iconics (allthough i must admit i don't like them as much), or the 3ed ones (Which I enjoy more; Hennet Ftw.), but I would definetly like to see the Iconics. I feel like they might be able to take advantage of being 'grandfathered in'. I.E. A small acrobatic wisecracking rogue might reek of cliche to some, but I don't think anyone finds Lidda to be cheesy in that regard (Similar to how you really shouldnt name a character "Blank'-man anymore, but Batman and Superman and Spiderman etc still get away with it)

-I could possibly get on board with an Ebberon or FR movie, if only because I like Ebberon and I think that either of them has the "Hey, established world here! Use me!" thing going on.

-Better actors (Not neccesarily big-name, but try and get some good talent)

-I'd like to see Hollywood grow some and actually make a straight adaptation of some adventure. This is obviously not a safe move, but it's a peeve of mine regarding any adaptation of games, video or otherwise.

Anyone else know what they think would make a DnD movie successfull?

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-18, 09:10 PM
-Gnomes, they need gnomes. Mainly the guy who played Mini Me (Cant remember the actors name)

-More heavy combat

-Dwarves, orcs, ogres...pretty much all the cool stuff to beat up.

bue52
2008-09-18, 09:14 PM
I'm not too sure about you, but I think it'll be cool if the dnd movie was an actual gaming session, so u can get cutscenes between the adventure and what happens in real life!

Starsinger
the 4E iconics

Who? Filler

Sstoopidtallkid
A plot that doesn't suck, a director who likes and knows the source material, actors who can boopin' ACT, and a good soundtrack.

Oh, and a budget to fund all of that, so the backgrounds don't look like a high-school play.

comicshorse
2008-09-18, 09:17 PM
Hot elf chicks in chainmail bikini's :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2008-09-18, 09:19 PM
Well, short answer, one that doesn't suck.

No Wayans! :smallmad:

Good plot, good script, good acting and good effects are the key.

It has to have a "real D&D feel", i.e. not just a modern era movie transplated into a generic fantasy setting.

Set the movie about a party of 4-6 adventurers of varying races and classes, and an epic quest for them to complete, with memorable opponents and a kick@$$ BBEG.

Not much to ask for? :smallbiggrin:

Matthew
2008-09-18, 09:21 PM
First one sucked, and if you have read any interviews with the director, it's hardly surprising.

However, I liked Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God. I was very much willing to hate it, but I actually enjoyed it. Lots of cool references throughout (though I guess some of it might have been lost on D20/3e audiences, such as the reference to the Ghost Tower of Inverness). I particularly liked the jokes about D20, as when Berric uses his sword to hack through a wall.

Boo
2008-09-18, 09:23 PM
Maybe a reference to the D&D PHB PSA? But really, as long as they have a decent storyline, I'll watch it. Good actors would help too (The Wayans guy was ok for his role despite criticism) The last movie was just so... I don't even know. It was just bad.

...I just looked at it on wikipedia... Dear god, there was a sequel! :smalleek:

String
2008-09-18, 09:24 PM
Starsinger: I'm not sure if their actually considered "iconics' as such, But the examples they give in each class description. Some share names with 3ed iconics, like morthos and I believe tordek.

So far the suggestions have been mostly on the actual Production stage. Any thoughts and Preproduction (Specifically, the type of story, chracters, whatnot?)? I totally agree that having both a director AND screenwriter (and maybe even actors, too!) who love the source material would be optimal. And keep Uwe Boll away from it.

EDIT:PSA?

Thane of Fife
2008-09-18, 09:25 PM
It should be like the Dragon Strike movie. But.. with better special effects.

And it needs to be longer.

Or, in actuality, it needs to be about a reasonable adventure, rather than about the game in general. Trying to incorporate everything briefly would make for a bad movie.

DnD would work better as an episodic television program than as a movie, in my opinion, if only because watching people go through a dungeon all at once would be boring - there wouldn't be many underlying subplots, just lots of small ones (and one big major plot), and there would be fairly little character interaction, which is the heart of any movie.

With the episodic format, each episode could be a part of the dungeon - this week they help the deep gnomes fight off the orcs, next week they struggle through the beholder lairs, etc.

EDIT:

PHB PSA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwp-lDSN3Qo) = unparalleled awesome.

Ponce
2008-09-18, 09:28 PM
You could just watch LotR and call out dice rolls.

Thurbane
A movie about the 3E iconics would be cool...

Lidda: Lacey Chabert or Jennifer Love Hewitt
Tordek: Michael Chicklis
Ember: Thandi Newton
Regdar: Chris Meloni or Jason Stathem
Krusk: Gene Snitsky (WWF)

(The Wayans guy was ok for his role despite criticism)

No, no he really wasn't....

Matthew
It should be like the Dragon Strike movie. But.. with better special effects.

And it needs to be longer.

Ha, ha. Awesome.

DragonStrike (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8LBpMuSTrQ)
DragonStrike Review (http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/games/DragonStrike/)

monty
Hot elf chicks in chainmail bikini's :smallbiggrin:

This. Why would I need anything else?

Boo
2008-09-18, 09:32 PM
Well, here's my thoughts...

They could go with a Forgotten Realms campaign (Before Lusken was destroyed). As well, they would have to make it true to D&D, and not some cheap knock-off. The director of the 2000 movie said he was forced to make it the way it was instead of using an updated script that was truer to D&D.

I don't know if using 3.5e would be better than 4e in script writing since there's no stats involved in movies (unless they reference it or something).

Some inside jokes for D&D fans would be great too.

Oh! And don't forget the silver haired elven bisexuals. They have to be in every scene! :smallamused:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-18, 09:34 PM
A movie about the 3E iconics would be cool...

Lidda: Lacey Chabert or Jennifer Love Hewitt
Tordek: Michael Chicklis
Ember: Thandi Newton
Regdar: Chris Meloni or Jason Stathem
Krusk: Gene Snitsky (WWF)Well, if we're talking fantasy casting...
Andre The Giant-Barbarian
Neal Patrick Harris-Bard
Felicia Day-Cleric
DJ Qualls-Rogue
?-Arcanist

Joss Whedon-Director

Tell me that wouldn't be epic. I dare you.

Flickerdart
2008-09-18, 09:34 PM
Rules lawyering, of course. It's not a movie about Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms, it's a movie about D&D. But that limits the audience...and means it'll be a comedy. Not BAD, but not profitable.

VV: YES for NPH as bard. Absolutely yes.

String
2008-09-18, 09:38 PM
Sstoopid: Considering one of those is dead and another is a punctuation, I take that dare...

Dhavaer
2008-09-18, 09:38 PM
However, I liked Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God. I was very much willing to hate it, but I actually enjoyed it. Lots of cool references throughout (though I guess some of it might have been lost on D20/3e audiences, such as the reference to the Ghost Tower of Inverness). I particularly liked the jokes about D20, as when Berric uses his sword to hack through a wall.

Yes. There need to be at least 20 sequels to Wrath of the Dragon God, all made with the same not-quite-quality.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-18, 09:39 PM
Sstoopid: Considering one of those is dead and another is a punctuation, I take that dare...Fantasy casting, and I can't think of a good person to play a Wizard. Your only arcane caster can't be a bard.

Thurbane
2008-09-18, 09:41 PM
Fantasy casting, and I can't think of a good person to play a Wizard. Your only arcane caster can't be a bard.
Steve Buscemi?

Knaight
2008-09-18, 09:42 PM
Kate Beckinsale maybe?

Chronicled
2008-09-18, 09:43 PM
I would love a D&D movie that was based on SilverClawShift's epic campaign (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59107).

a director who likes and knows the source material, actors who can boopin' ACT, and a good soundtrack.

Oh, and a budget to fund all of that, so the backgrounds don't look like a high-school play.

Needs this too.

Joss Whedon-Director

Every movie should have this really. :smalltongue:

Thurbane
2008-09-18, 09:44 PM
Kate Beckinsale maybe?
Yes please! :smallamused:

EvilElitest
2008-09-18, 09:59 PM
I think an animie in FR would be best actually. Particurally if the story was done in the style of eddings or martin
from
EE

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-18, 10:05 PM
I think an animie in FR would be best actually. Particurally if the story was done in the style of eddings or martin
from
EEWell, FR would make good Anime series, especially if they didn't change the rules at all, and had this board make up the char sheets.

Just the right mix of overpowered action and borderline reasonable limits. And there's always someone bigger to kill.

FMArthur
2008-09-18, 10:06 PM
A "D&D in general" movie won't have anything to do with what you know and love as D&D, because there's no default plotline. DMs just make up stuff and it can be anything at all. If there were to be more D&D movies, it would have to be in one of the well-known pre-established campaign settings, like FR and Eberron. Really, it wouldn't be using the D&D ruleset as we know it, so when storytelling, the fact that it takes place in a D&D world isn't relevant at all, only the campaign setting. D&D might not even be in the title.

Hawriel
2008-09-18, 10:06 PM
They already kinda did. I like to think movies like The Dragon Slayer, Conan, and Lengend are my kind of D&D movies.

EvilElitest
2008-09-18, 10:07 PM
Well, FR would make good Anime series, especially if they didn't change the rules at all, and had this board make up the char sheets.

Just the right mix of overpowered action and borderline reasonable limits. And there's always someone bigger to kill.

exactly. And the world is so big/well devopted that it wouldn't get old because you can simply switch to a new party ever couple seasons. Also if you have non corny characters an actual cynicism/dry wit you could get an actual good following. Thsi is pre 4E FR, before the recone of course
from
EE

Ascension
2008-09-18, 10:15 PM
There sort of is a D&D anime, in the form of Record of Lodoss War.

As for a movie, I think it should focus on the gods and/or devils. Like maybe a movie about Vecna's ascension to godhood. Creeeeeepy godliches make for good movies.

It would mostly concern the gods, the human perspective characters would be a bunch of idiots who would all kill each other for the Head of Vecna at the end.

It would probably be played as a black comedy throughout.

Chronicled
2008-09-18, 10:15 PM

I'm not terribly familiar with FR, but isn't Elminster the "biggest" guy to kill, what with all the stuff he gets outside the rules so that "powergamers can't kill him" (if I remember what Ed Green allegedly said correctly)?

Not that Elminster can't be taken out, even with the auto-rezzing taken into account. IIRC, the two decent methods suggested in the Kill Elminster (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=277984) challenges were: a Shadowcraft Mage on a plane with different time flow spamming Shadow Dragons; 4 level 16 characters knocking him out and dumping him into a bag of holding to be forever nonlethally coup-de-grace'd by zombies (http://forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=6110586&postcount=60).

Prophaniti
2008-09-18, 10:16 PM
Well, for me, it would have to avoid being a steaming pile of crap, for starters...

Just get some decent writers, really.

An FR movie would be cool, so long as they have my above statement made into a plaque that everyone must recite every day of work on the project. Something like
"I will do my best to make this movie not suck."

Rei_Jin
2008-09-18, 10:23 PM
The main problem, as I see it, is that everyone's experience with D&D is different. People play differently, they have different intentions, different levels of knowledge about the game, and expect different things.

The first two Dungeons and Dragons movies were okay, to be honest. I expected them to be B Grade turbid $#%^ because I know that they would never put the money into it that it would require to be popular. On the other hand, I do have both moves and the D&D Scourge of Worlds DVD, which rocks.

If there's going to be another D&D movie made, they need to pick an iconic character (or characters) and base it on them, getting the original writers behind the characters to write their story.

And Vin Diesel must be involved, partially because he'll beat the snot out of anyone who messes with HIS D&D, also partially because it's funny to watch him struggle to act. He can be the fighter, and play that stereotype.

Director? Yeah, Joss Whedon would be good, and for the love of all that is sacred, keep George Lucas and Steven Spielberg away from it.

Other than that, I think it would be hilarious to get Kelsey Grammer to be the Wizard, not to mention the interparty dynamics between him and Vin Diesel.

Swordguy
2008-09-18, 10:30 PM
It's an impossible task. We can't even agree on the version of D&D to play, much less come up with a movie that would please all gamers. It's even worse due to the incontrovertible fact that there is nothing gamers, geeks, and nerds love more than to hate on something with excellent production values, reasonable acting, good writing, and made by actual fans of the genre solely because a few details were missed or removed from the production cycle that don't affect the overall plot whatsoever.

Exhibit A: Lord of the Rings.

The only thing that brings us together is hating on stuff made specifically to please them. Thus, there is no way a D&D movie could be made that would please gamers. Gamers want to hate.

:smallfurious:

EDIT: That said, I completely agree with this sentence: "And Vin Diesel must be involved, partially because he'll beat the snot out of anyone who messes with HIS D&D..."

thegurullamen
2008-09-18, 10:31 PM
Look, there are already two perfectly good D&D movies out there already. Now let's all just admire the glow of their perfection:

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens1774416module7109872photo_gamersdc.jpg

EvilElitest
2008-09-18, 10:32 PM
There sort of is a D&D anime, in the form of Record of Lodoss War.

Is that good actually? I never seen it
from
EE

TheThan
2008-09-18, 10:35 PM
Is that good actually? I never seen it
from
EE

Its very good, both red box and white box. (long version and short version)

Myatar_Panwar
2008-09-18, 10:40 PM
I would much rather see a D&D movie with the players and their characters switching back and forth. It woulden't be serious, of course, but D&D is never really about being overly serious. A "D&D Movie" without the players might as well be a normal fantasy movie (i.e. LotR).

I know a movie like that exists already, I need to see that.

Rei_Jin
2008-09-18, 10:41 PM
Yeah, the Gamers. Good movie, you can watch it on YouTube last I checked, that was how I learnt of it. Not even sure if I can order it in Australia...

Xyk
2008-09-18, 10:53 PM
Let an experienced D&D group direct. Seriously, Have the DM write a campaign, and have the players help write what their characters would do. That, along with a budget over $10 will do.

Stormageddon
2008-09-18, 10:57 PM
Order of the Stick the movie!

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-18, 10:58 PM
I'm with those who loved Wrath of the Dragon God. It was terrible, but terrible in ways exactly like a real D&D campaign.

There sort of is a D&D anime, in the form of Record of Lodoss War.And Slayers, while not specifically a D&D anime, might as well be. I also find it a lot more interesting than RoLW, but I should probably give the latter a second chance given that I only saw a little.

EvilElitest
2008-09-18, 10:58 PM
Its very good, both red box and white box. (long version and short version)

hmmm, i never tried watching it because of the confusing ways the sereis relate
from
EE

Arros Winhadren
2008-09-18, 10:59 PM
The Gamers is a good D&D movie. Yup, go watch it on Youtube today!

monty
2008-09-18, 11:24 PM
Order of the Stick the movie!

Personally, I'd rather see a Goblins (http://www.goblinscomic.com/) movie, but OotS would probably be fine, too.

Actually, I seem to remember seeing several "What actors would you pick for a OotS movie?" threads back when I frequented that board.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-09-18, 11:36 PM
Just watched the Gamers.

Very funny stuff. There should be more stuff like that. Too bad alot of us gamers are too busy playing these games to make any videos. :smalltongue:

thegurullamen
2008-09-18, 11:41 PM
Just watched the Gamers.

Very funny stuff. There should be more stuff like that.

They made a sequel!

Personally, I'd rather see a Goblins (http://www.goblinscomic.com/) movie, but OotS would probably be fine, too.

Yeah, me too but that's because Thunt has too much to tie up and won't speed the process up; a movie would finally give the fan base some closure on at least one of the points.

Frosty
2008-09-19, 12:08 AM
We definitely need an Eladrin Wizard played by a pretty blonde, and a tiefling cleric somewhere.

Deepblue706
2008-09-19, 12:10 AM
Me? Like a D&D movie? Not declaring it a D&D movie would help. Also, if it had pretty much nothing to do with D&D, that'd be cool too, because a lot of iconic D&D stuff is pretty darn silly.

There'd have to be this guy with a sword, and he'd have to have some friends, and they'd fight James Earl Jones.

Oh wait, that's both Conan the Barbarian AND Star Wars!

Huh...yeah, no need for anything explicitly D&D - I'd just be happy to see something fantasy-based that isn't crap. That's kind of rare enough already.

Ascension
2008-09-19, 12:14 AM
I protest Deepblue's statement: David Prowse does all the fighting in Star Wars. James Earl Jones just sat in a studio with a microphone.

Deepblue706
2008-09-19, 12:25 AM
I protest Deepblue's statement: David Prowse does all the fighting in Star Wars. James Earl Jones just sat in a studio with a microphone.

The Voice of James Earl Jones is essentially James Earl Jones. The appearance, or actual physical body is irrelevent.

Matthew
2008-09-19, 02:21 AM
It seems our collective memory is willing also to forget the recent Dragonlance animated movie, so I thought I would remind everyone of its existence.

Gorbash
2008-09-19, 02:41 AM
PHB PSA = unparalleled awesome.

I want my 5 minutes back. I didn't find this even mildly amusing, let alone funny. Mialee is kinda cute, though.

Matthew
2008-09-19, 03:34 AM
Yes. There need to be at least 20 sequels to Wrath of the Dragon God, all made with the same not-quite-quality.

Indeed.

They already kinda did. I like to think movies like The Dragon Slayer, Conan, and Lengend are my kind of D&D movies.

True, of course; Conan the Barbarian is probably the best fantasy movie ever produced.

kamikasei
2008-09-19, 03:41 AM
As others have said, the single most important thing that the first movie failed at was: don't suck. The second movie didn't suck, it just wasn't very good (as opposed to eye-searingly awful).

Decent writing and acting with a good story are all that's needed. You won't get the be-all and end-all of D&D in movie form, but you'll get a movie, set in a D&D world, worth watching.

I would probably be most interested to see an Eberron something-or-other; a trilogy, tv series or anime would probably be better than a single movie just to give time to explore the setting a bit. You can easily envision a story set in that world in the vein of the movies and books that inspired it.

Swordguy
2008-09-19, 03:55 AM
It seems our collective memory is willing also to forget the recent Dragonlance animated movie, so I thought I would remind everyone of its existence.

There was no animated Dragonlance movie. Never happened. It's a collective figment of folks' imaginations.

Just like there was no first D&D movie (they just went straight to Wrath of the Dragon God).

Also, wasn't everyone satisfied with Mazes & Monsters?

AslanCross
2008-09-19, 04:00 AM
I also agree that Vin Diesel should be involved.

Instead of Elminster, if we're going to use a named Wizard character from FR, I'd rather we have Robillard. Of course, Robillard means the presence of Drizzt, which means the movie will provoke some NERD RAGE.

I don't even know whom to cast as Robillard.

Ethdred
2008-09-19, 05:56 AM
there is nothing gamers, geeks, and nerds love more than to hate on something with excellent production values, reasonable acting, good writing, and made by actual fans of the genre

I must have missed that particular D&D film

What they really need (as well as all the basic things that make for a good film fullstop, as set out by others - decent actors, etc) is a storyline that more accurately represents D&D. So less of this archetypal child becomes a man through questing' rubbish. D&D characters start off as pretty awesome compared to everyone else, and just keep getting better. Rather than have them be really weak and challenged by a couple of orcs, let's see more of the massive spell slinging, and fighters carving through hordes of monsters - like Aragorn and Legolas do in the LoTR films. You can still challenge them, but the challenges then have to be really serious. I suppose for the sake of the film you'd have to have a BBEG and a quest of some sort, but it could be done better. Does it always have to be for the fate of the world, and not just for lots of cash?

I like the suggestion of having a D&D TV series - as long as it is nothing like the cartoon!

And yes, Josh Whedon to direct!!

Starbuck_II
2008-09-19, 06:46 AM
Personally:

- I would like to see the Iconic characters. Now that 4E is out, I'm not sure if they'd be the 4E iconics (allthough i must admit i don't like them as much), or the 3ed ones (Which I enjoy more; Hennet Ftw.), but I would definetly like to see the Iconics.

The only Iconic that made to 4th is Redgar (keeps dying in 4th) and Icabolde (from Expanded Psionics handbook) both in the 4th edition PHB.

I haven't spotted anymore.

I liked the D&D movies so I am not sure what the problem is. Both movies seemed like an actual D&D adventure to me.

The DM knowing that a beholder would kill them made it act dumb/doglike (sometimes DMs are nice).

Saph
2008-09-19, 07:16 AM
I'm putting in a third recommendation for The Gamers. Seriously, go watch it. I just saw it last week for the first time, and it's awesome. If you've ever played D&D (or pretty much any tabletop RPG), you'll like it.

- Saph

_Puppetmaster_
2008-09-19, 07:24 AM
I socond the motion that someone should make a movie of Silverclawshift's Horror Campaign.

serok42
2008-09-19, 08:22 AM
Well, if we're talking fantasy casting...
Andre The Giant-Barbarian
Neal Patrick Harris-Bard
Felicia Day-Cleric
DJ Qualls-Rogue
?-Arcanist

Joss Whedon-Director

Tell me that wouldn't be epic. I dare you.

NPH= Best Bard Ever!

I would love to see DJ Qualls as a rogue.

How about Felicia as the wizard. I like the idea of a gnome cleric so Martin Klebba (the midget from Pirates of the Caribbean) should play him.

NeoVid
2008-09-19, 07:25 PM
The movie would have to be in one of the iconic settings. NOT the default as-generic-as-possible D&D setting that killed the other D&D movies. I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea to base it on the books. A movie about Drizzt could be amazing, but also amazingly easy to screw up.

As many members of the cast and crew as possible should be current or former D&D nerds. Easy to do, as this covers people ranging from Vin Diesel to Steven Colbert.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-19, 08:24 PM
Okay, so the D&D movies bit it, but do you all remember which D&D movie DIDN'T bite it?

That's right, The Gamers. That was one of my all time favorite movies, and... I think it had a budget somewhere around 24$ and one of the cheapest endings ever. I want to see another D&D movie like The Gamers, and I would be so happy...

I think I'll go watch it now.

EDIT: After posting, I noticed a slew of other people said the same thing as me. So, I guess I'm... fourthing the reccomendation for The Gamers?

Thane of Fife
2008-09-19, 08:32 PM
As many members of the cast and crew as possible should be current or former D&D nerds. Easy to do, as this covers people ranging from Vin Diesel to Steven Colbert.

Vin Diesel could be a Fighter or something, but what role would Colbert get? Sorcerer? Bard, maybe?

String
2008-09-19, 08:37 PM
Colbert doesnt need to be an actor. He could easily lend an 'advisory' position, or just get involved. If he needed to be an actor, then I'd cast a vote for a supporting character, or possibly a bard. However, if he were casdt, I'm afraid that the character would degenerate into his Colbert Show personality, where he's a buffoon bigot.

Edit: Vin Diesal = Ialdabolde (sp?)...Just for laughs/

Doresain
2008-09-19, 08:54 PM
Bill Nighy as the wizard

Simon Pegg as the barbarian

Nick Frost as the rogue

Martin Freeman as the cleric

Alan Tudyk as the ranger

this would, of course, have to be a comedy

Eldritch_Ent
2008-09-19, 08:54 PM
I just watched "the gamers". I'm sorry, but I just didn't enjoy it...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-19, 08:56 PM
Colbert doesnt need to be an actor. He could easily lend an 'advisory' position, or just get involved. If he needed to be an actor, then I'd cast a vote for a supporting character, or possibly a bard. However, if he were casdt, I'm afraid that the character would degenerate into his Colbert Show personality, where he's a buffoon bigot.

Edit: Vin Diesal = Ialdabolde (sp?)...Just for laughs/No one except Neal Patrick Harris should be a Bard. Make Colbert the Cleric.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-19, 08:58 PM
I just watched "the gamers". I'm sorry, but I just didn't enjoy it...

I can agree to respectfully disagree with you on that point...

But here's what I want to know: Which did you think was better, the D&D movie (or it's sequal), or The Gamers?

String
2008-09-19, 09:04 PM
XD.

Colbert as Jozan, even! I cant even do justice to ultra-conservative Colbert-Jozan

Ascension
2008-09-19, 09:10 PM
XD.

Colbert as Jozan, even! I cant even do justice to ultra-conservative Colbert-Jozan

It might work well with the whole Jozan-is-really-evil theory.

AslanCross
2008-09-19, 10:17 PM
It might work well with the whole Jozan-is-really-evil theory.

...Jozan will gain in future artworks of him, a trademark Arched Eyebrow.

On the other hand, we could just go all the way and make Colbert the paladin.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/AslanCross/DnDCampaign/StephenColbertKnightOfAmerica_byTLo.jpg

SeeKay
2008-09-19, 10:32 PM
Back to the topic...

Whatever was made, it would have to be scripted well. A good script will make up (somewhat) for bad acting. It would also have to be close to the rules (pick an edition and stick with it) and no just doing something because the director/writer wants to add something.

Next, it would have to be set in one of the worlds. My preference would be Dragonlance, then Forgotten Realms then Greyhawk. DL because it is so much a set story ready to be made into a movie/series, FR because so much has been written about it then GH because it was (and now is) the "default" world.

Third, it would either have to be set as a game with players cutting to the characters and back or set as the characters "feeling" that they aren't in control of their actions all the time. Both of these would have to be somewhat comedic. If it HAD to be serious, then they would need to stick with a story from one of the worlds and leave "D&D" out of the title.

Fourth, it would have to have monsters that behaved like their book counterparts. Beholders, dragons, mind-flayers, lichs and the like are all smart. They would plot and plan and not just be roaring beasts (my main beef with the first D&D movie). Most of this would be solved with the script, but extra care would have to be taken with the monsters' behavior.

Finally, it would need some "realistic" looking monsters. Elves are not pointy-eared humans; they are thin and fair. Getting a female to play a male elf or CG'ing a guy real thin would be needed. Orcs and goblins would have to look like their descriptions. If they use a pit fiend or some demon/devil, it would have to have a really powerful and sinister look. Dragons need to look good as well; no flying lizards but a large animal that is born to fly.

As for casting, I have no clue...

String
2008-09-19, 10:33 PM

I know you were arguing for Colbert-as-Pally there, but compare the pic there with the Jozan in PHB2, and add classes and a pallete change, and I'm sold...

Anyway! From those that have been making...I suppose serious is the proper word...suggestions, I gather that a "Gamers"-esque game would be good?

I personally have been leaning farther towards an eberron or FR movie, but that would mean that the Iconics idea would be incorporated with the Iconics for THAT setting, which means no Hennet, which makes for a sad-face String.

EDIT: Seekay: I like these thoughts, and have another on Magic: If you want to go by Rules, then the spontaneous casters work best in a movie. If you read DL (I'm thinking of Autumn in particular), Raistlen is obviously the wizard, and the book has the novelty of fitting several paragraphs into milliseconds of story-time devoted to explaining the odd "I prepared this spell, and I can't just look at my book to remember. NO CALLING FOR LINE!" system the Wizards and other prepping guys use (although Reading Diran Bastiaan as a cleric is interesting [though he could be a pally, I'm not sold])

BardicDuelist
2008-09-19, 10:34 PM
If the Giant wrote it and del Toro did the SFX.

Dausuul
2008-09-19, 11:22 PM
Well, as far as plot goes, there's always Red Hand of Doom.

Asbestos
2008-09-20, 12:06 AM
I think, and I know I'll take some backlash here, that the D&D wizard may have to either take a supporting role or just not even be in the movie. Sure, maybe the group can go consult a wizard to teleport or scry, but I think that a D&D wizard may come across as... horribly cheesy. Sure, Gandalf, awesome, but not a D&D style wizard by any means.
I can see general audiences accepting a Warlock or Artificer as the group arcane caster.
Rangers casting spells may also come across as way cheesy. Personally I prefer the more scout-like 4e ranger, never liked the casting aspect of the ranger, was too poorly explained.
I think that Paladins and Clerics would also mostly have to get axed from the script and take backseat roles, at least for my tastes.

I can see a party of the following members if we're using 4e:
The Rogue and or Ranger
The Fighter and or Warlord
The Artificer and or Warlock (Star pact preferably)
Possibly Swordmage

Races:
Humans, Elves/Eldarin, Dwarves (if they can make someone that isn't just a copy of Gimli), Dragonborn.
Would love to see Genasi, but I think they'd come across looking crummy/cheesy. Have the same fears for Dragonborn, but they're inhuman enough that I think it could be pulled off.
Halflings/gnomes? Not as main characters, we've had 3 halfling heavy movies, the little guys have had their time in the sun for now.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-20, 01:08 PM
More familiar D&D names, such as Heward's Handy Haversack. Seriously, if most every P&P character has one, it makes no sense for movie characters not to.

I don't think it should be a straight comedy, but have significant comedic elements when not fighting.

The battles should look like D&D battles. Barbarian/Fighter character charges. Rogue tumbles and thrusts a rapier (no, not a dagger; that's the old icon) through a chink in someone's armor. Somebody uses a spiked chain, and trips opponents. Druid wild shapes into something ferocious. People full attack, then step back 5'. A Bard stands back, and plays an instrument while the fighting is underway.

Much more frequent use of recognizable spells, like Darkness and Divine Power.

Doresain
2008-09-20, 03:00 PM
also Pun-Pun should be the only true god in the movie...

wait better yet:

"Pun-Pun: The Rise of a God"

wesley snipes could do the voice for him, because admit it...you know you would be amused by a kobold voiced by blade

Deepblue706
2008-09-20, 06:03 PM
I can agree to respectfully disagree with you on that point...

But here's what I want to know: Which did you think was better, the D&D movie (or it's sequal), or The Gamers?

Well, The Gamers wasn't funny at all. However, both D&D movies were absolutely hilarious, especially the first one.

The entire Thieves' Guild part was filled with terribly awesome lines. Plus, the damn "maze" was three rooms - in a straight line!

I have to say, the first D&D is the best one here, simply because it's awesome if you're drunk.

AlterForm
2008-09-20, 06:41 PM
Will Smith

hotel_papa
2008-09-20, 07:06 PM
As what? A cleric of Xenu?

HP

Starbuck_II
2008-09-20, 07:59 PM
Well, The Gamers wasn't funny at all. However, both D&D movies were absolutely hilarious, especially the first one.

The entire Thieves' Guild part was filled with terribly awesome lines. Plus, the damn "maze" was three rooms - in a straight line!

I have to say, the first D&D is the best one here, simply because it's awesome if you're drunk.

I disagree about the Gamers. The ending wasn't funny, but over all it was a good movie.

I do agree that the D&D movies were hilarious. I still wish they made a sequel and saved Snails.

TheThan
2008-09-20, 11:42 PM
I think the key to making a good dnd movie is to forget about the DnD aspect of it and focus on making a good fantasy movie. For that you need a good script, good direction and good acting. Nice special effects are not necessary though they are nice to have.

For classes and races it doesn’t matter what you use. You don’t need to represent all the classes just as long as you have a good mix. The “standard adventuring party” set up would work just fine for the movie. With a mix of races, say the standard “elf, dwarf, human, halfing” you would be just fine. it seems to me that having a good cast of characters is like having a good adventuring party. Too many and things get bogged down (and some times people get left out). Just enough, and everything flows nicely and everyone gets to shine.

However I do agree that spontaneous casting is probably the best way to go. A book can take up as many pages as necessary to explain how magic works. But in a movie you don’t have an unlimited amount of time, viewers are going to get bored with it if nothing really happens after awhile.

Another problem is the plot, you don’t need an elaborate world threatening plot to have a good fantasy movie. Just a basic “save the princess” or “recover the artifact of power” plot works just fine. It works with Tolkienesqe high fantasy, but a good fantasy movie doesn’t have to copy his style to be good.

String
2008-09-21, 12:01 AM
TheThan: I tried to imagine the movie you described, and came up with a generic fantasy movie. I think thats the problem. YOu have to find a balance between making it a movie full of Rules References that doesnt have time for story or characters, and a movie that has no connection with DnD, and is just another fantasy film.

String
2008-09-21, 05:05 PM
Double Post, sorry.

New Hypothetical Thought: If one were to write an eberron film (to get an existing setting) based off a module (say eyes of the lich queen), which characters would you like to see? Iconics? Eberrons Iconics? Those dudes on the cover?

longtooth878
2008-09-21, 05:20 PM
Well I don't think they could make a good D&D movie for the following reasons:
1. The movies would have to be episode like as many D&D gaming sessions are.
2. They don’t have to explain everything. Let the story and the actors do the job. We don’t need a origin lesson the first half of the movie. Yes I know the fighter is a bad ass and the thief is tricky and the mage is mysterious, ect…
3. Let things/people die.
4. Let magic users be magic users and clerics to be clerics. Cast D&D spells.
5. Let the bad guys win occasionally it make the struggle that the characters do more intense if it is known that they can fail.
I know it was mentioned before but I think that the Record Of The Lodos War should be a great example of making a great D&D movie.