PDA

View Full Version : Gemstone Elementals

Icewalker
2008-09-18, 11:14 PM
Has there been a line of gemstone elementals? ie Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, etc, as earth elementals?

I'd be quite surprised if there wasn't, but neither I nor my friend have heard of any, and I really want to homebrew them.

RTGoodman
2008-09-18, 11:18 PM
I don't think there've been any gemstone elementals, but there were gemstone GOLEMS in Monster of Faerun. They only have Ruby, Emerald, and Diamond, though.

Zeal
2008-09-18, 11:20 PM
I have a third party suppliment with mineral quasi-elementals in it, who, from the description are mostly composed of different gemstones. Sadly, I think the book is out of print.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-19, 01:01 AM
They could be easily homebrewed...Then hocked in the nearest town once the party kills it.

Maybe just use the stats for an Earth elemental with some DR/AC changes depending on the gemstone used.

bosssmiley
2008-09-19, 03:56 AM
Crystal elementals would generally hail from the quasi-plane of Mineral (the border realm between Earth and Positive Energy). Dragon #174 had an entire article devoted to the weird ecology of the inhabitants of Mineral (and to their lucrative Ioun Stone-harvesting operations).

jcsw
2008-09-19, 04:12 AM
What someone needs to make are rules for Chemical elementals...

chronoplasm
2008-09-19, 04:26 AM
What someone needs to make are rules for Chemical elementals...

Yes!
Especially since I need Sulfur Elementals for my steam dungeon.

...Some rough ideas...

Magnesium Elementals would explode dealing fire and radiant damage.

Sodium Elementals would explode when they come into contact with water. So would Potassium Elementals. A Potassium Elemental damaged by water or ice would burst into flame.

Carbon Elementals would be super versatile and react with anything.

Reinboom
2008-09-19, 04:32 AM
An Einsteinium Elemental is scary thought *catgirl shudder*

jcsw
2008-09-19, 04:33 AM
What would be superdeduper awesome would be rules for generating Elemental stats based on their Chemical Qualities, Molar Mass, Valence Electrons, Metals/Nonmetals...

bosssmiley
2008-09-19, 05:02 AM
What would be superdeduper awesome would be rules for generating Elemental stats based on their Chemical Qualities, Molar Mass, Valence Electrons, Metals/Nonmetals...

"Sapphire and Steel have been assigned" :smallwink:

edit: also, fear Molybdenum Destructor!!! (http://coelasquid.deviantart.com/art/Elemental-Destructor-38262281)

Cheesegear
2008-09-19, 05:06 AM

And what would be extra-super awesome, if the Golem Crafter (probably a wizard), shot a Ray at a Diamond Golem, and the Diamond/Glass/<Translucent Gem> Golem refracted the Ray all around the area.

Irreverent Fool
2008-09-19, 05:08 AM
Carbon Elementals would be super versatile and react with anything.

Wouldn't Carbon Elementals be Diamond Elementals? Or Coal?

I'm still a fan of this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0423.html).

Burley
2008-09-19, 07:27 AM
Maybe not what you're looking for, but the old 3.5 stuff had Half-Golem templates with a Stained-Glass Golem. A lot of the stuff could be refluffed to be more gemstone-y.

Icewalker
2008-09-19, 09:08 AM
Well I'm just wondering if anyone has done it because I don't want to duplicate homebrew. I'm probably gonna stat up about 7 this weekend now.

The Glyphstone
2008-09-19, 09:23 AM
Don't forget the Chlorine Elemental.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-19, 02:11 PM
Warning-Never create Elementals based on the actual elements. The instant you do, the Wizard's player will start thinking. And crafting. And 2 weeks later, a pair of Plutonium Elementals walk to your BBEG's fortress and high 5, destroying 6 months of your campaign. It's not worth it.

Knaight
2008-09-19, 05:18 PM
Assuming that they don't have cesium elementals instructed to build tiny pipes throughout the castle that connect to the gutter, spread out between the pipes, and when the order is given open them, and watch the entire castle blow up. You don't tell them what happens when the water touches them though.