PDA

View Full Version : Scary moments in my life

Vella_Malachite
2008-09-19, 09:18 AM
This afternoon, I got lost in China.

My friend and I were wandering around a couple of streets of shopping strips in China, and we managed to get disoriented (somehow), and we ended up wandering the streets of China for an hour and a half before being found.

The moment we found out we were lost, we were s***ting ourselves. We went from "wait, was it this way?" to "crap, we're lost" to "We're gonna get massacred alive when we get back" in less than five minutes. Our group were supposed to meet at the KFC on the corner, but there were about three KFC's in the area, and we were quickly directed by some helpful locals to completely the wrong shop.

[dramatic retelling]So my friend started crying when we found it wasn't the right one, so it was up to me to effect a daring plan (or at least affect one), to get us back to where we were supposed to be. I quickly remembered that my father, back in Australia, had the contact numbers for our teachers. From there, I figured that if we could get an international call somewhere, we would be OK. My friend was not exactly confident at that point in time, so to cheer her up, I came up with the *cough*original*cough* one liner "It's OK, I have a plan".
I walked into the KFC, and, with her in tow, asked where I could get an international call (thank all that is good and righteous I had my Mandarin phrasebook; I am not letting it out of my sight for the rest of my trip), where I could get an international call.
Of course, my language skills being what they are, they completely misunderstood and directed me to a phone booth (which, by the way, did not, in fact, have a phone in it at all. Go figure).
The plan required some tweaking; I spotted a hotel across the street and knew I could get an international call there. We hurried across and, after some communications difficulties, we managed to procure our phone call.
Dad, of course, had forgotten to bring the numbers with him when he went on his holiday. He began to make some phone calls, and told us to call back in ten minutes.
In ten minutes, we couldn't get onto him again.
We tried to think of what we had to work with. We had enough money for a room for the night, and a card to get more cash if need be. I had some food in my bag, enough to see us through one night, although none of it was the most nutritious food on the planet. We had some Panadol, a couple of bottles of water and a Mandarin phrasebook (my best friend ever). We had moral, emotional and linguistic support from each other, and we had a phone while the cash lasted. We figured we had enough to stay at the hotel for a week if it was necessary. We began to relax as we decided that we were lost for long enough that we were going to get sympathy rather than deep trouble when we were found.
I looked for a while at room prices; we decided if it came to that, we'd stay in the cheapest room to save money.
Eventually, we found a number our tour guide had given us in her notebook and decided to call it, just in case.
It worked, and we were found.
It turned out my dad had rung the school principal, who had rung my Chinese teacher. The Chinese teacher was nearly in tears when she found out, and the other two teachers nearly had heart attacks (one of them, a library attendant, felt the need to hug us both when she got to us). So a lot of people got very worked up about us, and we were probably the most calm.[/dramatic retelling]

Interesting, isn't it, how we were the ones who were actually freaking out the least. I, personally, truly panicked once; when Dad said he couldn't find the number. I didn't really get emotional or start to hyperventilate or anything until afterwards.

It was actually a really, well, not good, but worthwhile experience. The "I can survive this" confidence boost you get is really good.

I'm gonna get hell for this for months now, though. Only us two, of the whole group, could possibly get lost. Only us.

We're probably the only ones who could think our way out of the problem, too, though.:smallbiggrin::smallwink:

So, yeah. Just needed to vent that. Anyone else got any scary moments of the sort? (sympathy is also good:smalltongue:)

thubby
2008-09-19, 09:47 AM
welcome to the club.
I got lost in new york once, it was my... freshman? year, my class was going to see a play, some daniel in the lions den thing, anyhow, this was before cell phones were everywhere.
obviously i got separated from everyone else. I hung out for 5-10 minutes, figured someone would come looking, they didn't -,-
realizing the curtain up would be in a few minutes, i did what any 14 year old would do, I hailed a cab :smallamused:
i step out of the cab, blow all the money i got for the trip, and the teachers are looking at me like I have 2 heads. turns out they hadn't realized i was even missing (wtg teachers). so i saw the show, and now i have an interesting story to tell.
i know what you mean about everyone else freaking out. i was just like "hey". it didn't even seem like a big deal, i knew where to go and had a way to get there.

randman22222
2008-09-19, 09:54 AM
Had something similar in Kuala Lumpur, except we didn't get as lost as you guys. But man... The twin towers are confusing. They're identical. :smalleek:

Mc. Lovin'
2008-09-19, 10:25 AM
Congradulations on making a story about getting a bit lost dramatic, nice one sortin it out and all that :smallsmile:

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-19, 10:27 AM
Considering how anyone can get lost, I don't really see how you could get into that much trouble over it (I hope you don't).

dish
2008-09-19, 11:08 AM
Well done for keeping your cool and getting found.

I've managed to lose myself in several cities where I didn't speak the language and I know that it can be a very frightening experience.

Just in case you get lost in China again (though you'll probably be very careful after this experience) here are a few tips:

1) China is actually a very safe place to be lost. Of course there is violent crime here, but foreign tourists are most definitely NOT targeted.
However, opportunistic pick-pockets are around, so always keep your money, passport, and other valuables safe.

2) (Gross over-generalisation but) Chinese people are generally very friendly and helpful. If you need help, ask for it and you've got a good chance of finding someone who will oblige.

3) Finding someone who speaks English can be difficult. You need to find a college student. English is a compulsory course for all college students, no matter what major, and many of them can manage enough to hold a simple conversation. (Customers in KFC would be a good place to start looking for a college student - it's the kind of place they tend to hang out.) Otherwise your second best chance is to look for a young professional worker (yuppy) as some of them have to use English in their work.

Winter_Wolf
2008-09-19, 05:30 PM
Welcome to the club indeed. I've been lost in China several times, more places than I can even really list. Less scary than irritating though. Then again, I've lived there for years, and it's pretty safe unless you try to cross traffic.

Also been lost in Japan. Nagoya (many, many times), Minabe, Wakayama, Hakodate...actually, probably at least as many places as in China.

Been lost in Canada. Now I make a point of avoiding Vancouver, BC. Stupid highway entrances....:smallmad:

Lost in many places in the state of Washington, lost in DC, lost in Portland.

I can sense a lot of you thinking, 'Can someone get this guy a compass and a map?'

Scariest place I've ever been lost in was northern Milwaukee. Dumb rakking construction. Come to think of it, I've always been more at ease about being lost in places that AREN'T the United States.

Otherwise life pretty much stopped being scary about the age of 19. Overexposure to weirdness, I guess.

Fri
2008-09-19, 06:51 PM
Otherwise life pretty much stopped being scary about the age of 19. Overexposure to weirdness, I guess.

Here. Sometimes I wish I could get that scared feeling again.

Moff Chumley
2008-09-19, 07:00 PM
Getting lost in Mexico wasn't fun either. My sympathy. :smallfrown:

Zeful
2008-09-19, 08:34 PM
Welcome to the club indeed. I've been lost in China several times, more places than I can even really list. Less scary than irritating though. Then again, I've lived there for years, and it's pretty safe unless you try to cross traffic.

Also been lost in Japan. Nagoya (many, many times), Minabe, Wakayama, Hakodate...actually, probably at least as many places as in China.

Been lost in Canada. Now I make a point of avoiding Vancouver, BC. Stupid highway entrances....:smallmad:

I can sense a lot of you thinking, 'Can someone get this guy a compass and a map?'

Scariest place I've ever been lost in was northern Milwaukee. Dumb rakking construction. Come to think of it, I've always been more at ease about being lost in places that AREN'T the United States.

Have you ever found yourself having traversed impossibly long distances without knowing it?

SurlySeraph
2008-09-19, 09:08 PM

Dave Barry has two theories about why D.C. is laid out the way it is. The first is that the city planner was paid in corn liquor. The second is that someone spilled mustard on the plans. Either makes a lot more sense than that all those damn diagonal streets are supposed to be like that.

dish
2008-09-19, 09:24 PM

Once my brother-in-law was driving me around and managed to get lost in the streets of south London (where he was born and has lived his entire life).
He was completely embarrassed and apologised to me several times.
I found it such a refreshing experience to be lost in a city where I did speak the language though! (After Shanghai, Guangdong, Tokyo, Bangkok, etc, etc.)

TigerHunter
2008-09-19, 09:32 PM
Well done for keeping your cool and getting found.

I've managed to lose myself in several cities where I didn't speak the language and I know that it can be a very frightening experience.

Just in case you get lost in China again (though you'll probably be very careful after this experience) here are a few tips:

1) China is actually a very safe place to be lost. Of course there is violent crime here, but foreign tourists are most definitely NOT targeted.
However, opportunistic pick-pockets are around, so always keep your money, passport, and other valuables safe.

2) (Gross over-generalisation but) Chinese people are generally very friendly and helpful. If you need help, ask for it and you've got a good chance of finding someone who will oblige.

3) Finding someone who speaks English can be difficult. You need to find a college student. English is a compulsory course for all college students, no matter what major, and many of them can manage enough to hold a simple conversation. (Customers in KFC would be a good place to start looking for a college student - it's the kind of place they tend to hang out.) Otherwise your second best chance is to look for a young professional worker (yuppy) as some of them have to use English in their work.
I now feel the need to download this page just so that, in case I ever happen to visit and get lost in China, I have this post to serve as a guideline.

Is that normal?

black dragoon
2008-09-19, 10:35 PM
I'm not in cities enough to say so but, let me tell you, I feel safer in them at times than out in the woods where I live. It's the North East united States in one of the least populated areas. We have wonderful little beasties and bears running around. I've been lost in a forest at night and heard coyotes/dog hybrids calling for each other....That is utterly terrifying when you're young. (this happened when I was ten)

Don Julio Anejo
2008-09-19, 10:37 PM
@ the OP: heh, sounds fun. I'd love to get lost like that somewhere... (what? I like stress..)

Dude, I'm offended. :amused: I take it you've never been south of Vancouver, in Washington State? Now THERE highway entrances are stupid. And if you miss one, you have to take a 50 mile detour just to get back.

Winter_Wolf
2008-09-19, 11:13 PM
Lived in the state of Washington for four years. Got lost there plenty of times. But then again, I never had to spend 4 HOURS trying to find and get on a highway in Washington.

I know what you mean, though. Seattle isn't exactly a great place to be driving around if you don't know where you're going. Usually got on the highway then spent 4 hours waiting for them to clean up the accident (edit: the accident was not caused by us in any way). I swear, it was like magic, any time we wanted to hit up Seattle, either there or back would be a long, long line of cars waiting to for the accident to get cleaned up.

Anyway, Vancouver was always the prelude to driving up through the Yukon. :shudder:

Nychta
2008-09-19, 11:22 PM
Aw, being lost sucks. In town it's still possible for me to get lost, because I'm not allowed to go there very often. I generally have a knife, so it's okay.
Being lost in other countries is really terrible, though. So much so that I usually have a backup plan before I leave the hotel...

Anyway, the scariest moment in my life was when I saw this trailer falling on top of me. Granted, it was only a second, but it was damn scary.

dish
2008-09-19, 11:24 PM
Anyway, the scariest moment in my life was when I saw this trailer falling on top of me. Granted, it was only a second, but it was damn scary.

Umm...ok, I have to ask for elaboration. How did a trailer end up falling on top of you?

Zeful
2008-09-19, 11:27 PM
I got lost in a hallway once.

Nychta
2008-09-19, 11:56 PM
Umm...ok, I have to ask for elaboration. How did a trailer end up falling on top of you?

Well, I dodged it in time.

We were at a friend's place, who has a massive property, and her parents had just bought a new trailer, and we were messing around with it, and pushing it around. There were, what, 10 of us? And somehow it got pushed over onto its side, and then fell.

Vella_Malachite
2008-09-27, 07:16 PM
OK, glad to know we're not the only ones capable of getting ourselves completely and totally lost in another country. :smalltongue:

It figures; out of our whole group, we were the only pair capable of getting lost.

I am now back in my home country of Australia, and we did not get lost again, although we were a little late back to a meeting-place once because of a difficult bargaining attempt with a shopkeeper. The teachers never trusted us again, though...:smallamused:

Crispy Dave
2008-09-29, 11:26 AM
I was lost in a very bad neighborhood in Oakland California(its across the bridge for San Fran) I was visiting my second cousins and they asked me to go buy milk from a store down the block it was simple enough it was only one turn. Well I took a wrong turn then tried to go back to where i was and lot my direction. My cell phone was dead i finally found their house witch was 3 miles away from where we were and I waited there.