PDA

View Full Version : Who's next?

Gamerlord
2008-09-19, 02:33 PM
Who do you think is next on the dead list? BESIDES belkar.

Jorgo Mono
2008-09-19, 02:34 PM
I'd wager an unnamed NPC.

Ganurath
2008-09-19, 02:43 PM
Assuming we limit ourselves to named characters, my money's on Kubota.

snoopy13a
2008-09-19, 02:45 PM
Unnamed NPCs don't count :smalltongue:

I have a gut feeling that Lien will die. I like her as a character but she reminds me a little of the Cliffport Police Chief.

SPoD
2008-09-19, 03:08 PM
Unnamed NPCs don't count :smalltongue:

I have a gut feeling that Lien will die. I like her as a character but she reminds me a little of the Cliffport Police Chief.

I'll bet against this one, simply because Lien dying would be a little too gratuitous. We know far less about her than we did about Therkla, or even The Chief.

Kubota seems like a lock, but if we're talking sympathetic deaths...I think O-Chul will buy the farm, possibly doing something heroic that inspires the MitD.

Shadic
2008-09-19, 03:32 PM
I'm going to bet on the opposite of this: I think that Roy is going to come back in the next ten comics or so.

Or, at least I hope.

d'Bwobsling
2008-09-19, 03:38 PM
I thing Quar might die next

Mc. Lovin'
2008-09-20, 11:11 AM
I think Vaasuvisius (sp?) is next.

Reason being it is practically impossible to have a decent story with someone of her power level. It's like in Dr. Who, they got rid of the sonic screwdriver because it was OP. Same with V, she singlehandedly defeated a devil the size of an island, there will be no dramatic tension with any monster that OOTs face from now on due to V simply being able to kill everything.

Also, Durkon may have to go for the same reason, there's no need for people to stay dead anymore without coming up with a good excuse (for example, not wanting to live without if a guy you have a crush on has a girlfriend)

Spiryt
2008-09-20, 11:27 AM
Reason being it is practically impossible to have a decent story with someone of her power level. It's like in Dr. Who, they got rid of the sonic screwdriver because it was OP. Same with V, she singlehandedly defeated a devil the size of an island, there will be no dramatic tension with any monster that OOTs face from now on due to V simply being able to kill everything.

Eh?
He haven't done it singlehandely, beside the fact that Durkon helped him with his curse, he will simply die if he fought the demon alone, without other fellows to take the beating from it.

And the fact that he/she managed to finally overpower the demon doesn't mean that few months ago (s)he haven't been saved from Death Knight by sheer luck.

No, V isn't "overpowered" in the sense of 3.5 rules (blaster mage?) nor in the terms of story, Giant is too good writer to do such thing.

Niley
2008-09-20, 11:59 AM
Antagonists - Kubota or Qarr. Protagonists - O-Chul, Belkar (NOOO!) or Lien.

The Tygre
2008-09-20, 12:06 PM
Antagonists: Kubota or Crystal
Protagonists: V (keeps getting too exhausted, doesn't look too good), O-Chul (theories already present), or Durkon (because no one saw it coming).

David Argall
2008-09-20, 02:03 PM
The Oracle's comments protect V and Belkar from dying soon. [Belkar is on short time, but not that short. The Oracle says he is talking comic time, not real time, which pretty much means he is not buying it before January, or about strip 620. And we can stretch that to 680 without excessive effort.]

Kubota does look to be the candidate to bet on. His position ought to be falling apart. Still, he seems so confident...

Sir_Norbert
2008-09-20, 02:13 PM
January? The Oracle has definitely said before the end of THIS (in-comic) year. Could be any time from the very next strip to the end of December, but no later.

As regards whether V is overpowered, don't forget that he had to rely a spell with a 1/7 chance of petrification and hope to get lucky.

Ascension
2008-09-20, 02:15 PM
In-comic. We don't know how quickly time's passing within the comic, so "next year" could be in 2020 for all we know.

I think Hinjo's going to die. Elan, Durkon, and V can't get away from the fleet and back together with the party until they have no reason to stay with the fleet anymore... therefore, Hinjo must die in order for the story to move forward.

I don't like it, but I don't see any way around it.

Lizard Lord
2008-09-20, 02:16 PM
The Oracle's comments protect V and Belkar from dying soon. [Belkar is on short time, but not that short. The Oracle says he is talking comic time, not real time, which pretty much means he is not buying it before January, or about strip 620. And we can stretch that to 680 without excessive effort.]

Kubota does look to be the candidate to bet on. His position ought to be falling apart. Still, he seems so confident...

He said before the end of the year not AT the end of the year. It could be anywhere between the next strip and strip 680.

Sir_Norbert
2008-09-20, 02:25 PM
In-comic. We don't know how quickly time's passing within the comic, so "next year" could be in 2020 for all we know.
Yes, Captain Obvious. But it could also be the very next strip (albeit this is unlikely because it looks like we'll be following the Elan group for at least a little longer). That's all I was saying.

Ascension
2008-09-20, 03:19 PM
Yes, Captain Obvious. But it could also be the very next strip (albeit this is unlikely because it looks like we'll be following the Elan group for at least a little longer). That's all I was saying.

Well, you said before the end of December, so I figured you must be talking about the real world. OOTS-land might be on the Gregorian calendar, but I doubt it.

Zolem
2008-09-20, 03:39 PM
Well, you said before the end of December, so I figured you must be talking about the real world. OOTS-land might be on the Gregorian calendar, but I doubt it.

Heck, it could be on the Elvan Calander one fo the DMs I had a few years ago invented. They had seven months with seventy days per month, except the last three had an extra five days to round out the 365. Oh, and they had 10 days in an elven week, and 32 hours in an elvan day. I think he had one for the dwarves too, but we deliberatly avoided going to the dwarven lands so we wouldn't have to listen to it. Everybody but me and some other kid I forget the name of played a human. He played an elf, I played a Gnome, a Gnome Illusionist. YEs, this was 2nd edition.....I cast Greater Shadow Beast in the form of a Silver Dragon to kill the Sue Monster. Take that you overpowered psionic abominations!

Mando Knight
2008-09-20, 04:08 PM
Heck, it could be on the Elvan Calander one fo the DMs I had a few years ago invented. They had seven months with seventy days per month, except the last three had an extra five days to round out the 365.

Wait, they had 7x70+5x3=365? That's off by... 140. Two months of seventy days followed by three months of seventy-five comes out to 365, but seven of seventy plus fifteen comes out to 505.

Emanick
2008-09-20, 11:18 PM
She/he must mean 5 months, not 7.

Kobold-Bard
2008-09-21, 02:45 PM
I reckon its someone from Haley's group. Not Haley but perhaps that girl who's chasing her or Blind Pete(name?).

Idea!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe Belkar will sacrifice himself (oracles prediction of death) to save them all and this last minute act of redemption gets him into the good afterlife where he meets Roy. Hilarity ensues.

chiasaur11
2008-09-21, 02:47 PM
I reckon its someone from Haley's group. Not Haley but perhaps that girl who's chasing her or Blind Pete(name?).

Idea!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe Belkar will sacrifice himself (oracles prediction of death) to save them all and this last minute act of redemption gets him into the good afterlife where he meets Roy. Hilarity ensues.

Belkar in the good afterlife?

Man. That would....
I mean....

Divide by zero error. Reinstall brain and reboot.

TehSheen
2008-09-21, 02:59 PM
I reckon, V will die seeing as the Oracle said "As for the elf", before being killed by Belkar.

Starbuck_II
2008-09-21, 03:04 PM
I reckon, V will die seeing as the Oracle said "As for the elf", before being killed by Belkar.

But V can't die except by Belkar's Hand no matter how contrived.

Remember, Unless Belkar handed V his Ring of Jumping; we have no idea how Belkar will kill V.

Kobold-Bard
2008-09-21, 03:16 PM
But V can't die except by Belkar's Hand no matter how contrived.

Remember, Unless Belkar handed V his Ring of Jumping; we have no idea how Belkar will kill V.

Now that he has killed the oracle Belkar no longer needs to kill V.

But perhaps the oracle was referring to Belkar
a. putting V in his lust column,
b. V being unable to get out of said column,
c. making V subconsiously lose confidence in his/her abilities,
d. making him/her unable to contact Haley (Cloister spell not withstanding),
e. making him/her deathly unwell,
f. resulting in his/her death.

But then again, maybe not:smallbiggrin:.

Totally Guy
2008-09-21, 03:28 PM
I don't know about all that talk of Belkar dying before Roy is raised. If that happens then the fact that Roy remembers the Oracle saying "Belkar will die" becomes useless knowledge. I foresee a future where Roy is trying to prevent Belkar's death by giving him orders that make him avoid danger.

Anyway my money is on Blind Pete because he's sympathetic and has the same enemies as the heroes.

David Argall
2008-09-21, 05:00 PM

Since there is confusion here, let's go over it in detail.

The Oracle says Belkar dies within the year. He then explains to us that this means comic year, not calendar year.
Now this explanation is unnecessary if Belkar is going to die within both. So since the explanation is offered, the presumption is that Belkar will die by December 31 by strip calendar, but not before January 1, 2009 by our time, or close enough to it to make it a major worry of missing the date. [Our writer could of course be throwing us a curve, but he is much more often foreshadowing stuff for us.]

Now there are about 14 weeks left in the year, which should have about 28 strips, based on the past year's performance. So Belkar should be safe until at least strip 622 or so. He probably won't get much beyond it, but the strip has devoted 60 strips to a single day, so we can't make any solid guess. The end of the current book is likely the deadline tho.

So Belkar is not going to buy it at 600. Kubota, among others, seems more likely to.

Bedinsis
2008-09-21, 05:25 PM
Which calender was the oracle referring to? The Oots and the Azurites seems to have different dates for new years eve (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html), so what says that cobolds doesn't use a different calender? It could possibly be up to 364 days 'til Belkar kicks the bucket.

As for who's gonna die next... Crystal, I believe. Or possible Appendix Pete.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-21, 05:29 PM
Quarr seems likely, though Lord Kubota is equally likely. Theory:

Quarr noted, before he poofed (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0585.html) that there were a few possibilities he needed to act on. One was informing Lord Kubota about Therkla's betrayal (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0592.html), but the other possibilities remain hidden. It seems likely that Quarr has an ulterior motive (possibly related to Sabine's superiors (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html)) and that means he might be setting Lord Kubota up for the fall. OR it might mean that Quarr is currently busy setting up an ambush for one or more of the OotS, and is thereby rather likely to be killed.

So, an ordered list:
1) Lord Kubota
2) Quarr
3) Celia (she has her comeuppance for her naivete to deal with)
4) Belkar (see Oracle)
5) Vaarsuvius (looking very bad, but again, see Oracle)
6) Durkon (see Oracle, but most likely for a extra-dramatic death)

Note that there is a huge gap between 3 & 4; I doubt that the other OotS will start dying off until the next book at least. Celia is beginning to sound like The Load (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheLoad) and her attitude is one that is likely to get her killed. Plus, if she dies before Roy is rezzed, we can have a bittersweet reunion in the clouds, with Roy having to decide between getting rezzed and staying with the love of his life.

Also, there may be many more NPCs that show up between 3&4, but once the OotS start dying, that's how I see it coming down.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, Crystal. She's very likely to die, probably before Celia. I think Blind Pete is going to be OK though, unless Crystal decides to kill him just because. But definitely Lord Kubota and/or Quarr before that.

Lowkey
2008-09-21, 05:35 PM
Jirix. We are due for an O'Chul update, which takes us back to AC, and Redcloak's friends/minions tend not to live very long (I think The General stuck around the longest)

Lokasenna
2008-09-21, 05:40 PM
I think, with the exception of Belkar, none of the main PCs are going to die soon.

Roy's already dead, and Elan dying would mess with both his happy ending and his current character development. Haley still has her sub-plot in the western lands with her father, and I think that's going to come after rezzing Roy and reuniting the party. I don't see V get ultimate arcane power in the afterlife, and if V kicks it that would be another member to cast Raise Dead on. Durkon is going to kick it, but I don't see the party carrying his dead body around through the adventure at the next gate, and we know he's going to be dead by the time the party gets to the Dwarven lands. And he's probably coming back to life too, if the amount of clerics there is any indication.

We also had a major death in the current arc, so I don't think Hinjo going to die. Maybe Kubato, maybe Lien. Overall, I don't think anyone other than nameless NPCs in this current arc.

On Haley's side, I think Old Pete might be next. He's helpful, and Haley and co. are benefiting from his help, so either him or the cleric is going next. Or Crystal. She may not be flying yet, but we already have two Haley-specific "flying skanky chicks". That or they are getting a rude awakening from a warm bed as the guild invades Pete's house.

Emanick
2008-09-21, 05:47 PM
Celia isn't likely going to die. The Giant doesn't kill off major characters because of their naivety (Elan is a prime example). And who on earth could kill Celia, besides Crystal? It's highly questionable whether she deserves a place on the list higher than Belkar, who we KNOW is going to die, probably by the end of this book, though her death is a possibility.
Vaarsuvius is FAR too important a character to bite it in the middle of OOTS. For one thing, her/his character is greatly tied to the elven lands across the sea (where Girard's Gate is), and for another, she/he is simply one of the core party. We aren't going to lose a third of OOTS just in the middle of the story, even if Belkar is coming back as a construct. Writers don't do that sort of thing. It kills character development and is a serious plotsink.
I really don't like all these theories that major OOTS characters are about to bite it. In this thread, we even have Durkon's death predicted, simply because he's capable of resurrecting people. What the heck? Authors don't kill off blossoming characters just because they have the potential to fulfill one of the main functions they're designed for. The Giant appears quite adept at dodging instant resurrections so far; we have NO REASON that the cleric in the party should suddenly bite the dust. He doesn't even have any enemies in the fleet, unless Qarr is going to off him for being more Good than the other PC,s or Vaarsuvius is going to kill him because he's annoying him/her. Doesn't add up, except that we know he has to die before the end of the story. Well, we have 500 or so strips to wait, then.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-21, 06:00 PM
Durkon will die before OotS is over because the Oracle Says So (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html).

As for the other major characters not dying before their time: George R.R. Martin (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ASongOfIceAndFire) would like to speak with you :smalltongue:

I will continue to advance Celia on the Corpse List because I see a lot of dramatic potential in that situation. Plus, she has to die before Roy does (again, if he does) or Roy would end up with a Happy Ending... and the Oracle implies that the future is very dark for OotS.

TheBST
2008-09-21, 06:29 PM
A theory/ pointless armchair guess for the next bunch of strips:

1) Scene switches back to Haley, Belkar & Celia. Belkar's mark is making him worse and worse. Banter about Belkar's condition, little bit of reminiscing.

2) Bunch of strips about contacting the cleric and regaining Roy's body/ raising extra cash/materials for True Rez. spell.

3) Finally get everything set-up for the resurrection, but just as the ritual's about to start, the Thieves Guild bunch barge in. Cleric is told to start the ritual while Haley and Celia attack.

4) Thieves Guild have brought the Golem-stein fella and his entourage with them, making the fight much more difficult, forcing the Cleric to stop what he's doing and join the rumble.

5) Scene change to Roy and Eugene as Roy goes through the motions of returning from the Afterlife. On his way out, he's told something really good but also really badd is about to happen

6) Back to the fight, most of the baddies have been put down, but Team Good are now suffering for it. A survivng thief- Haley's rival , let's say- closes in on the Injured Celia and Haley.

7) Belkar, at death's door, has just taken down the last golem ( having taken hell of damage in the process) makes one final push- taking down the survivng theif. Killing another living creature in a town exacerbates his MoJ- which combined with the fight damage, puts him into Neg HP

8) The Cleric finishes resurrecting Roy. Bittersweet reunion.

9) Roy deactivates Belkar's MoJ so the little guy can speak his last words coherently.Belkar dies.

10) The gang feel bad about it, but since they decide it's probably for the best that Belkar stays dead. Plus they've no more diamonds and Roy can remember the Oracle saying it's a permanent death anyway. They leave to catch up and contact V, Elan, Durkon and the Azurites

11) Cut to Belkar entering CE afterlife- VERY pissed off that his 'last stand' didn't buy him enough good scout points for the team to resurrect him. Infernals come and lead him away- mentioning something to him about a 'job offer'.

END OF STORY ARC.

------------------

OK- that felt a bit like a pre-emptive fanfic (da horrah da horrah) but there it is.

Trizap
2008-09-21, 06:30 PM
explain when the Oracle prophesied a dark future for the OOtS.

cause he said there was going to be happy ending- at least for Elan, which means a happy ending for Haley as well as it wouldn't be happy if Haley died.
the Oracle never prophesied what would happen to Roy or V at the end of the comic, so we don't know about them.

he said Belkar was going to die. given that Belkar is CE, this would only make OOtS-world a better place.

as for Durkon he only said "Posthumously" meaning "after you die" which means Durkon will return to dwarven lands after he dies, but since you can resurrect people there, Durkon will somehow die, the OOtS will carry his corpse to dwarven lands and have a dwarven cleric resurrect him.

there, happy ending

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-21, 06:40 PM

No, you're right, the Oracle's prophecy doesn't have to be as ominous as it sounds... but you have to admit, it sure sounds ominous!

Haley & Elan almost certainly survive under the basic letter of the Prophecy.

Vaarsuvius, however, is going to achieve "complete and total ultimate arcane power" which bodes ill for the story. It would seem necessary that V either gets de-powered somehow (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItOnlyWorksOnce), or is killed in a non-rezzable fashion, for the story to continue. Considering Redcloak's plan for the Gates, V may end up having to enact the ritual emself at some point... and may find the Snarl turn against em. In any case, V's current state of ill-health does not bode well for eirs future well being (and Elan knows it! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0591.html)).

Durkon will die, that is for certain. I'm seeing a death on-screen rather than off-screen, since you can get more effect if the character dies where you can see him. Besides, it seems likely that Rich will allow each of the Oracle's prophecies to play out on-screen, since he's done so with 2 of them so far.

Roy, I think will survive through the end. However, it is quite possible for him to die again... though not particularly probable for the near future.

As for resurrections: judging from the past (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html) few (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0464.html) deaths (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0593.html), it seems that Rich would prefer to keep character deaths as significant occasions. As such, I don't foresee much of this "going to a cleric and getting rezzed" business, no matter how much it happens in actual D&D.

Kish
2008-09-21, 06:41 PM

A surprising number of people seem to take "Yes--for you, at least" to mean, "No, it will end horribly."

I suspect Durkon will stay down when he dies--but, of course, as he established almost immediately, from his perspective dying and being buried with his ancestors is a happy ending. And there is not a smidge of reason to assume Roy won't have a more conventional happy ending, much less to rely on that so strongly as to build a case on "X can't happen because then Roy would have a happy ending."

No, you're right, the Oracle's prophecy doesn't have to be as ominous as it sounds... but you have to admit, it sure sounds ominous!

I hope I don't sound too abrupt when I say that I doubt very much Trizap has to admit that, and I certainly don't. :smalltongue:

Edit: Everything below this point, I was editing in while the post right before this one was being posted.

The Oracle predicted death for two members of the Order. One prediction is (from my perspective) good, one is bad. Straightforward enough. (Though even there, again, it's worth noting that Durkon himself disagrees with my classification of the bad one.)

The Oracle predicted that Xykon will go to Girard's Gate before Kraagor's. Straightforward, not at all ominous.

The Oracle predicted how Haley would get her speech back. Straightforward and concluded.

The Oracle predicted that Belkar would kill someone from his list, and he killed the Oracle. Not straightforward, but the conclusion turned out to be about as un-ominous as the answer "yes" to that question could be.

The Oracle predicted a happy ending for Elan, and explicitly made no promises for anyone else. Ominous? Maybe, but a much simpler explanation is that while Elan will wind up happy (and to what extent the implications of that impact on any of the rest of the Order, it's good for them) there will be losses like at Azure City, good people killed, and tortured like O-Chul....And Rich simply didn't want to make a blanket "there will be a happy ending to the strip" statement halfway through it for the same reason no decent writer would reveal the conclusion halfway through.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-21, 06:46 PM
I hope I don't sound too abrupt when I say that I doubt very much Trizap has to admit that, and I certainly don't. :smalltongue:

No... I suppose not, though I would have thought most people hearing the phrase "for you, at least" would be chilled by the implications of those two extra words. :smallconfused:

In any case, I presumed that was Rich's purpose for phrasing the dialogue as he did.

Sequinox
2008-09-21, 06:58 PM
I just had flash of intuition that its Celia! No!

I really don't want anyone to die, but I think I know whats gonna happen.

Okay. Kubota gets captured, the team tries to call in Celia, they succeed (maybe you have to be in a cloister for x amount of time before it affects you) and she tells them that she was with Haley and Belkar, and V gets some sleep finally. I don't know what would happen after that.

Lokasenna
2008-09-21, 07:03 PM
As for the other major characters not dying before their time: George R.R. Martin (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ASongOfIceAndFire) would like to speak with you :smalltongue:

Well yes, loads and loads of people die in that series. And the porblem there is that you never know when a person dies, and if you are told X is died, the person telling this could be lying or misinformed, which doesn't pop up too much in OotS.

However, certain events have to pass in the OotS world. Durkon dies, yes, but it is unlikely he is going to die before Girard's Gate, as the party would either drag his corpse to the Gate, or head back to the dwarven lands(near the final Gate) as Xykon and Redcloak(which they know) and Nale and co.(which they don't know) head to Girard's Gate.

V gets ultimate arcane power, possibly followed by death or loss of that power, but that's probably not going to happen yet.

It's not if/when these people die, but whether these people die soon.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-21, 07:10 PM
It's not if/when these people die, but whether these people die soon.

Very true! That's why I said that no OotS members would die in the current "book." :smallbiggrin:

However, after this book is over, I think Belkar will be the next to die, and that V will not die until sometime later... possibly during the battle for the next gate. Mostly, though, I do not think V will make it out of this story alive due to the unhealthy extremes that ey is putting emself through in this book.

Red XIV
2008-09-21, 07:28 PM
As for resurrections: judging from the past (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html) few (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0464.html) deaths (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0593.html), it seems that Rich would prefer to keep character deaths as significant occasions. As such, I don't foresee much of this "going to a cleric and getting rezzed" business, no matter how much it happens in actual D&D.
Ahem. I think you forgot (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html) one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0571.html). Oddly enough, the one you forgot doesn't fit the pattern you're trying to present. Not to mention, one of the deaths you did bring up is of a character who we pretty much know will get rezzed; it's only a matter of when Roy comes back, not if.

Dr. Cthulwho
2008-09-21, 07:33 PM
Roy. He gets raised, but in his naked, weaponless state he dies again during some battle going on at the time. :smalltongue:

But seriously, of named characters Kubota is a distinct possibility, but he might be about to weasel out of his karmarific fate at least for the short term.

I think the most likely characters though could be people in Greysky City - Blind Pete reminds me a bit of the chief (that is, a likeable minor character being helpful) so I fear for him.

Bazzok, Hank or Crystal also seem plausible possibilities. Especially Crystal, because now that Haley has Sabine as a nemesis she's outgrown her.

The only other one I think in the near future (next 50 strips) could be O'Chul, with his death perhaps affecting MitD and planting seeds that could one day lead him to turn away from Xykon.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-21, 07:40 PM
Ahem. I think you forgot (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html) one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0571.html). Oddly enough, the one you forgot doesn't fit the pattern you're trying to present. Not to mention, one of the deaths you did bring up is of a character who we pretty much know will get rezzed; it's only a matter of when Roy comes back, not if.

No, no, the Oracle's death was never treated seriously. All of the others were big, dramatic events; the Oracle's death, while surprising, lead immediately to a joke and comeuppance for Belkar. My point was that the death of major characters is dramatically important in and of itself, as opposed to merely being annoying, like a stat drain.

Roy's death, you will note, turned out to be the centerpiece of an entire Book; a quest in and of itself. His death is not cheap, and it will be less cheap if, say, his girlfriend dies in a non-rezzable fashion while trying to restore him to life. But it might be hard for Rich to engineer such a situation, and the "doesn't want to be revived" excuse has already been used twice... I doubt he'll use it again.

But man, Celia is just setting off my drama-senses something fierce. Her death just seems so right considering the flavor of Haley's Sidequest.

EDIT: Also, I'm not seeing O-Chuul. We're well outside of Azure City and his indestructibility is already legendary. He may die someday, but certainly not this book, and possibly not the next one either.

RosesOnConcrete
2008-09-21, 08:41 PM
Kubota. Hands down. *still slightly enraged*

I think Crystal's gonna stick around for a little while - have to get a bit more development than "Haley's rival with bad clothes and a weird-lookin' weapon" to make it worth it. (Also, my mental fanfic-production center has a very satisfying way of killing her, which I'm not going into here because ew, fanfic). Celia...probably not. Besides, she's a Celestial, hasn't she been shown switching planes at will?

One thing I do think is interesting is that Elan's prophesied happy ending seems to have made Haley all but immortal, plot-wise. He's not gonna be happy at strip <k-1> if she's not there.

Kobold-Bard
2008-09-22, 02:48 AM
I just had flash of intuition that its Celia! No!

I really don't want anyone to die, but I think I know whats gonna happen.

Okay. Kubota gets captured, the team tries to call in Celia, they succeed (maybe you have to be in a cloister for x amount of time before it affects you) and she tells them that she was with Haley and Belkar, and V gets some sleep finally. I don't know what would happen after that.

I like this plan. Not the death but them calling her to be their lawyer against Kubota (rigged or not she has a 100% record after all).

Also, regarging Durkon, not sure how or when he will die but when he does, as reward for his dedication he gets a set of afterlife wings and replaces that little angel thing as Thor's right-hand angel thing.
Or he simply gets revived because I like Durkon.
Or maybe he out lives everyone and simply gets brought back after dying of old age in a hundred years or something.

Ridureyu
2008-09-22, 02:56 AM
You know, I could see Kubota using the upcoming "trial" as a way to assassinate Hinjo and take over the fleet, forcing the heroes to flee back to the mainland, narrowly escaping total destruction.

In fact, we're nearing comic 600, which would be the perfect time for something that huge to change the status quo again.

Majorman
2008-09-22, 04:28 AM
cause he said there was going to be happy ending- at least for Elan, which means a happy ending for Haley as well as it wouldn't be happy if Haley died.
I think that Elan cannot die before Nale does. That's how "the evil twin brother cliche" works. So Elan is there to stay for a long, long time.
However, there might be a happy ending for him even without Haley - Banjo may become a Greater God and destroy the Snare all by himself :smallbiggrin: (it's a joke, do NOT take this seriously).

Kubota is a great villain, or at least he has all the qualities I like in a villain - he is very intelligent, thoughtful, power-hungry, able to remain hidden and cut all loose ends. On top of that, he is not even a bit psychopathic or bloodthirsty like all the other villains. That said, he would make a great tyrant. Thumbs up for me, I don't want him dead.

I vote for Crystal.

dehro
2008-09-22, 05:33 AM
I'm rooting for Celia to be the next one to go
..possibly on the very day Roy returns from the afterlife
I have nothing against her, but it would provide one hell of a twist for Roy, a whole new level of commitment and who knows, maybe even a change in allignement or class from his side..

then again, I do realize that it would also bring too much seriousness and would "darken" the general mood of the comic considerably..it's no material for comedic effects at all, and it would probably affect the character of Roy to the point that his wit, irony and sarcasm would be greatly reduced, leaving the comic out of a marvelous character..

Elan could carry it off without loosing his comedic appeal...Roy couldn't.

I'd still love to se it happen and to see what the Giant would do with it, though

yes, I realize I've stated something impossible and also the argument wherefore it's impossible...I got caught in a circular train of thoughts..sue me!

Kobold-Bard
2008-09-22, 05:48 AM
I'm rooting for Celia to be the next one to go
..possibly on the very day Roy returns from the afterlife
I have nothing against her, but it would provide one hell of a twist for Roy, a whole new level of commitment and who knows, maybe even a change in allignement or class from his side..

then again, I do realize that it would also bring too much seriousness and would "darken" the general mood of the comic considerably..it's no material for comedic effects at all, and it would probably affect the character of Roy to the point that his wit, irony and sarcasm would be greatly reduced, leaving the comic out of a marvelous character..

Elan could carry it off without loosing his comedic appeal...Roy couldn't.

I'd still love to se it happen and to see what the Giant would do with it, though

yes, I realize I've stated something impossible and also the argument wherefore it's impossible...I got caught in a circular train of thoughts..sue me!

Alright I will. And I'll hire Celia as my lawyer.

dehro
2008-09-22, 06:06 AM
Alright I will. And I'll hire Celia as my lawyer.

great..now I really want her to die :smallbiggrin:

dehro
2008-09-22, 06:17 AM
In fact, we're nearing comic 600, which would be the perfect time for something that huge to change the status quo again.

except not always the 00 mark has brought about major plot twists, I refer you to comic 100 where GITP actually makes an explicit joke about it

(just nitpicking...once in a while I get the forum-bug and these things happen... sorry!:smallamused:)

Blue_Bear
2008-09-22, 08:10 AM
Now what's this here? Dirty Harry 5?

Ridureyu
2008-09-22, 03:58 PM
Nah, Celia dying could be in line with the comedic aspect of the comic. Just make a "we'll resurrect her... naaaaaah" joke!

...Or have Belkar make a puppet out of her corpse. Your choice!

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-22, 04:31 PM
The answer was...
Lord Kubota (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0595.html)

Linkavitch
2008-09-22, 04:38 PM
Who do you think is next on the dead list? BESIDES belkar.

Well, obviously, in hindsight, considering this is after #595, Kubota.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-22, 04:44 PM
I should note that this means Quarr is going to make a clean escape.

So next on the death list: Celia or Crystal... I'll say Crystal. But the Plot Reaper (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThePlotReaper) is coming for you Celia! :xykon:

Rad
2008-09-22, 05:04 PM
Kubota it is.

I'd say that Crystal is next.

Kranden
2008-09-22, 07:59 PM
Belkars evil twin from another dimension!

Except he is all nice....

THE HORROR!

also my bets on Qarr because without Kubota what purpose does he serve in the story.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-22, 08:09 PM
also my bets on Qarr because without Kubota what purpose does he serve in the story.

Nah, he can just poof back to Hell. With no Lord to manipulate, he's just going to go home and report.

Kranden
2008-09-22, 08:16 PM
Nah, he can just poof back to Hell. With no Lord to manipulate, he's just going to go home and report.

I doubt that considering he just got some Uber demon turned into a statue.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-22, 08:20 PM
I doubt that considering he just got some Uber demon turned into a statue.

Why? Do you think his devilish superiors are going to care about him getting his poker buddy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0585.html) turned to stone? This is Lawful Evil we're talking about - if you make stupid decisions, it's your own darn fault.

Psh, I doubt Qarr would even get a slap on the wrist for this.