PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Collection of Class Features

JupiterPaladin
2008-09-19, 06:40 PM
I'm getting ready to compile a fairly large homebrew project and was hoping for help from the Playground to gather all of the useful class features granted from PrCs and new base classes from all sources. I'd like the feature name, source, and very brief description. Basically what I'm looking to do is set up a budget for the 11 base classes to gain without actually taking the PrC or whatever. Please explain why each ability is useful. Do not bother to include anything from the SRD. Thanks!

LibraryOgre
2008-09-19, 06:54 PM
I did something similar back in '99, when I wrote a 3rd edition AD&D. Went through every 1st and 2nd edition book I had to compile class (and racial) abilities, and put them together into a comprehensive system... not quite what I'd do today, but it's still available.

http://www.editors-wastebasket.org/nexx/indep.html

Good luck with your project.

Chronos
2008-09-19, 07:09 PM
What are you planning on doing for different class features which have the same name? For instance, several classes have the class feature "Spells", or "Bonus feats", but the fighter's "Bonus feats" class feature is clearly not the same as the wizard's.

That said, you might want to start with the List of Stuff (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=662842) on Gleemax.

Frosty
2008-09-19, 07:14 PM
Here is a small list. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58667

JupiterPaladin
2008-09-19, 08:47 PM
The class feature of "Spells" should be excluded. I know there are 200 classes and/or PrCs that have casting ability, and a lot of them have limited lists. I'm all for limiting spells, but not in that way. I'd rather the player make their own choices for limited spells.

Thanks for the extra sources though, they should help a lot. My main reasoning for this project is:

Why should a Wizard have to become an Archmage just to gain an ability from that class? Why should a Rogue have to take levels in Assassin? Why does a Barbarian need to be a Frenzied Berserker to get a bonus on Power Attack? I don't see any real reason to make a separate PrC or class if you really only want one or two abilities from it.

jcsw
2008-09-19, 09:37 PM
So what you want is for your players to find it easier to rampantly multiclass, without actually multiclassing?

Hal
2008-09-19, 10:13 PM
Hm . . . this would either have to be a feat based approach or a very liberal ACF approach.

I can dig it.

Frosty
2008-09-19, 10:22 PM
Well you could go the Generic Class route from Unearthed Arcana. Each time you get a feat you could also choose from a huge list of class features instead.

TeeEl
2008-09-19, 10:24 PM
I kind of started an extensive homebrew system using the feat-based generic class approach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86469), but it ran out of steam and I abandoned it. My overhaul needs an overhaul. :smallsigh:

JupiterPaladin
2008-09-19, 11:24 PM
Well not really feat-based entirely, but greatly inspired by the UA generic class approach. The weaker class features could be feats, but some of greater power like Spell Channeling or the High Arcanas would still be available through class feature means only. What I am going for is to re-balance the core 11 base classes by reworking them a little, then adding a number of extra class features of the player's choice to the base classes. Weaker base classes (Fighter and Monk in particular) will receive more features to add. It will add a certain amount of higher power for the PC's in some ways, but the full casting will be slowed a bit to make it more balanced. These are what I have so far:

Core SRD
Ranged Legerdemain
Impromptu Sneak Attack
High Arcana
Death Attack
Poison Use
Evasion
Improved Evasion
Trapfinding
Uncanny Dodge
Improved Uncanny Dodge
Hide in Plain Sight
Terrain Mastery
Planar Terrain Mastery
Spell Resistance

PHB II
Armored Mage (Light, Medium, Heavy)
Cloaked Casting (except the SR part)
Advanced Learning (any non-restricted school)
Spell Channeling
Spell Power
Shield Block
Bulwark of Defense
Vigilant Defender
Shield Ally
Improved Shield Ally
Impetuous Endurance

Complete Divine
Bonus Domain

Complete Mage
Spell Reflection
Spell Sense

Complete Warrior
Mettle
Improved Mettle

I will also be adding some homebrew features to help classes like the Fighter actually be an effective meatshield. It will be more potent than the 4e marking for defenders. I'm thinking major penalty for not attacking the meatshield, like a free AoO on them for every attack they make at whomever the Fighter is guarding, so in essence he will mark a defense target instead of a hostile creature. With a proper build I imagine a single-classed Fighter being competent at guarding the squishy caster.

Douglas
2008-09-19, 11:36 PM
This (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=662842) is a fairly comprehensive list.

JupiterPaladin
2008-09-20, 09:06 AM
OK let me revise the real questions I'm trying to get at here:

Which class features are actually unique and useful?

A lot of them are similar enough that they are just redundant or in the case of the Monk features, completely useless crunch-wise.

jcsw
2008-09-20, 10:33 AM
OK let me revise the real questions I'm trying to get at here:

Which class features are actually unique and useful?

A lot of them are similar enough that they are just redundant or in the case of the Monk features, completely useless crunch-wise.

I find the Dark Knowledge of the Archivist useful, once in a while.
So is the Weapon Aptitude ability of the Warblade.
The Drift ability of a Geomancer...
Int to AC ability of the Duelist?