PDA

View Full Version : [Condition/Feats/Power] Fear Itself

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-19, 09:18 PM
Rabid
A rabid creature becomes utterly worshipful of the source of their fear. They act as if dominated except they will perform self-destructive acts, fearing the source of their fear more than pain or death itself. They are immune to intimidation and lesser fear from other creatures unless they would also bring them to a rabid state. An opposed Charisma check is then made between the two sources of fear to see which the being comes to fear more.
Rabid is a more extreme state than frightened or panicked.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Adrenaline Junky [General]
Prerequisite: Con 1, Int 3, Immunity to fear
Benefit: You get an unhealthy kick out of what would normally freeze others in terror. You gain a morale bonus equal to the penalty you would normally take as if you had failed the save against whatever ability would normally cause you fear. As well, if you would normally become panicked you gain a +10 bonus to your speed types. If you would become Rabid you gain a +4 bonus to all checks.
Special: If in a frightening situation, such as a fight, you may apply a +1 morale bonus to your armor class, attack, damage, initiative or saves for the duration of the encounter. This does not stack with the bonus gained from a fear effect.

Fear Incarnate [General]
Prerequisite: Fear-inducing ability or spell
Benefit: When any ability or spell you possess would normally cause a creature to become fearful, such as Frightful Presence, they instead are affected one step beyond. Shaken creatures are frightened. Frightened creatures are panicked.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Kowtow
Telepathy [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Psion/Wilder 6
Display: Auditory and material
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 11

You trigger a being's most primal emotions, making them fear you beyond all things to a state of worship. Those affected become Rabid.

Augment: If you spend 4 additional power points you can even trigger fear in living creatures that are normally immune to fear, such as a Paladin. They do not become Rabid with this first manifestation. Instead their immunity is taken away. A second successful use of this power can then render them Rabid.

afroakuma
2008-09-19, 09:25 PM
As far as Kowtow goes... I'm not sure how I feel about breaking through a Paladin's "no fear" and pushing him all the way to "rabid."

Perhaps for creatures immune to fear, it could bring them to a lesser level?

Edit: That being said, Adrenaline Junkie is awesome.

Enlong
2008-09-19, 09:27 PM
Dude... that's just really, really cool, and a really cruel trick to play on PCs.

One question though, is there a precedent in the real world for people fearing things to this extent? Would not diminish this if there wasn't, I'm just curious.

You should make a monster to go along with this. Some kinda super-boggart thing that makes use of the Rabid condition.

How do you keep coming up with such cool, unique, and really, really fun/scary things, anyhow?

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-19, 09:36 PM
As far as Kowtow goes... I'm not sure how I feel about breaking through a Paladin's "no fear" and pushing him all the way to "rabid."

Perhaps for creatures immune to fear, it could bring them to a lesser level?

Altered the augmentation to help that.

One question though, is there a precedent in the real world for people fearing things to this extent? Would not diminish this if there wasn't, I'm just curious.
Don't know of any specifically to point to, but I have heard stories at least. Commanders or religious figures that caused such fear in those beneath them that they feared them more than death.

You should make a monster to go along with this. Some kinda super-boggart thing that makes use of the Rabid condition.
Well, sort of did, though at the time hadn't come up with the Rabid ability, but it inspired me to make it now.

Dullahan, Gan Ceann (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3259211&postcount=2)

Icewalker
2008-09-19, 09:44 PM
Wow, scary. I like it though, quite cool.

By the way, as I mentioned in your Seven Heavenly Virtues thread, I nominate you for reigning king of homebrew.

afroakuma
2008-09-19, 09:53 PM
THAT...that is perfect.

Offers a great roleplaying opportunity for paladins, even after just one shot. You're talking about someone who hasn't felt that emotion in years, being exposed to it suddenly and starkly.

As far as a precedent, extreme phobias can cause people do do anything necesary to get away - ANYTHING. Punching out close relatives, boiling one's own skin, falling down stairs headfirst... strong fear is really scary to see.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-20, 08:40 AM
I nominate you for reigning king of homebrew.
Hey, thanks. From your mouth to Wizard's ear. After years still haven't been able to even get a homebrew into their magazine.

As far as a precedent, extreme phobias can cause people do do anything necesary to get away - ANYTHING. Punching out close relatives, boiling one's own skin, falling down stairs headfirst... strong fear is really scary to see.
Yeeeah, I heard about someone who saw a spider and threw themselves down the stairs to get away and seriously messed themselves up. That's seriously... off.

vegetalss4
2008-09-20, 09:38 AM
Hey, thanks. From your mouth to Wizard's ear. After years still haven't been able to even get a homebrew into their magazine.

and here i thougth that the people that worked at wizards whas intelligent.
Oh well they cant all be

Adumbration
2008-09-20, 09:42 AM
That's becouse the stuff might actually get used somewhere. If you really want to get one there, you have to bland down your stuff and turn it into kinda meh instead of the awesome you're churning out at the moment. :smallwink: