PDA

View Full Version : Way to get "quicken spell"

Duff
2008-09-19, 09:20 PM
Looking at wizard builds/options to be able to quicken at least 1st level spells.

These's the obvious - quicken spell feat and cast it as a 5th level spell but I'd like to look at other options.
* The Ulitimat Magus Prc would let beguiler spells be sacrificed once you get high enouge (or sacrifice the Wizard spells a bit earlier).
* 2 Levels of Totamest and then the arcane/meld shaping PRC. Needs a con of 18 to be able to quicken using Incarnam points

Are there any other ways?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-19, 09:22 PM
Quicken Rods. Not technically right, but Imbue your Familiar with a spell for a free casting once per encounter.

Zeful
2008-09-19, 09:22 PM
Binder/Anima mage allows you to apply metamagic while your bound to a vestige.
Sudden Quicken requires like three other metamagic feats and only works once a day.

That's all i can think of off the top of my head.

monty
2008-09-19, 09:39 PM
Incantatrix
Residual Magic (sort of)
A ton of feats and stuff to bring the adjustment to +0
Probably other stuff

Chronos
2008-09-19, 11:53 PM
Without using the Quicken Spell metamagic itself, there's also the Duskblade's Quick Cast class feature (usable once or twice a day), the Abjuarant Champion can quick-cast abjurations on himself, and a paladin with the Battle Blessing feat can cast paladin spells quicker than normal. In addition, several spells are automatically swift actions to cast, before any modification: A few spells even have swift variations (the tradeoff is usually a very short duration): For instance, Swift Expeditious Retreat is just like the regular version, except it's a swift action to cast and only lasts one round.

Duff
2008-09-20, 02:55 AM
Incantatrix
Residual Magic (sort of)
A ton of feats and stuff to bring the adjustment to +0
Probably other stuff

Where's Incantatrix from? Prc or feat (or somthing else?)
Residual magic? Don't know that one either
Bringing the level adjusrtment down is a great idea! Even if I can't get it down to +0, getting it down will still be better

BobVosh
2008-09-20, 03:53 AM
Bringing the level adjusrtment down is a great idea! Even if I can't get it down to +0, getting it down will still be better

Incantatrix is from Magic of Faerun. It lowers the metamagic costs by 1 to a minimum of 1. (PrC)
Residual Magic is a feat from Complete Mage.

Arcane thesis will let you lower the metamagic reqs on one spell per feat. Correct me if I am wrong, I am at work.

Also there is some elven feat that if you are a generalist you lower metamagics too. No clue what book, I'll look later and edit this line.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-09-20, 04:06 AM
Incantatrix is in Player's Guide to Faerun, lowers the cost of all your metamagic feats by 1 and a few times/day you can add a metamagic feat for free.

The feat Easy Metamagic (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Feats.pdf) (Dragon 325) lowers the cost of one of your metamagic feats by 1 point. Practical Metamagic (RotD, spontaneous casting requirement) does the same thing. Metamagic School Focus (CM) can be used to reduce the cost of applying a metamagic feat to a spell of the chosen school a few times/day. Arcane Thesis (PH2) reduces the cost of applying any metamagic feat to one specific spell you know. If you can cast Command Undead to gain control of a Slaymate (LM) the cost of applying metamagic feats to your Necromancy spells will be reduced by 1.

If you make an Illumian with the Krau sigil and go Beguiler 1/ Wizard 4/ Ultimate Magus 10 you can apply all ten levels of UM to Wizard as long as you get Practiced Spellcaster: Beguiler by 3rd level, as-written. Combine that with any of the above feats/tricks to reduce the level of the Beguiler spell you spend to Quicken one of your Wizard spells. That's actually a really good build, by level 15 you have 4th level Beguiler spells and you only lose one level of Wizard spellcasting.

kme
2008-09-20, 06:47 AM
There is also a 7th level spell called Arcane Spellsurge that reduces casting time of all spells with standard action to swift. It is from Dragon Magic.

monty
2008-09-20, 11:30 AM

Incantatrix is a PrC from Player's Guide to Faerun. In addition to reducing all metamagic costs by 1 at level 10, you get an ability at lower level to spontaneously add metamagic with no adjustment to spells 3+Int times per day if you make a Spellcraft check.

Residual Magic is a feat from Complete Mage. Basically, if you cast a spell with metamagic, and then cast the same spell without metamagic the following round, you can spontaneously apply the same metamagic with no adjustment.

And there's plenty of other ways to get the cost down. Off the top of my head, there's Easy Metamagic, Practical Metamagic (requires you to be a spontaneous caster with the dragonblood subtype, IIRC), Arcane Thesis, Metaphysical Spellshaper (this one's a class).

nargbop
2008-09-20, 03:31 PM
Magical Trickster 3 from Complete Scoundrel lets you once per day apply a metamagic feat you know to a spell you're casting without increasing the spell level. Like, say, Quicken.

Original Post makes me think maybe he's asking how can a LOW level caster like Wizard 1 cast a Quickened spell. Easy answer : he can't. Not without a Metamagic Rod of Quicken.

Vonriel
2008-09-20, 05:54 PM
I imagine there are some shenanigans that can be pulled with quicken spell-like ability, too.

monty
2008-09-21, 03:36 PM
Assuming you don't care about cantrips, the lowest I can see it without items is 4th level.

Kobold Sorcerer 4
Quicken Spell, Easy Metamagic (Quicken Spell), Practical Metamagic (Quicken Spell), Arcane Thesis (1st-level spell of your choice).

Requires 2 flaws to get it that soon, but you can Quicken the spell in question for a +1 adjustment, making it a 2nd level spell. Add in 3 levels of Metaphysical Spellshaper as soon as possible, and it drops to 0 (for that spell only, +1 for all others).

Duff
2008-09-22, 02:15 AM
Magical Trickster 3 from Complete Scoundrel lets you once per day apply a metamagic feat you know to a spell you're casting without increasing the spell level. Like, say, Quicken.

Original Post makes me think maybe he's asking how can a LOW level caster like Wizard 1 cast a Quickened spell. Easy answer : he can't. Not without a Metamagic Rod of Quicken.

Not 1st level certinly, but I'd like to be able to quicken "true casting" fairly often by about 8th level we seem to cross a lot of spell resistant beasties.

Also where's Metaphysical Spellshaper from?

Magical Trickster 3 - thanks, that's tempting

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-22, 02:19 AM
Assay Spell Resistance, from Spell Compendium is a Swift Action(already Quickened) 4th level Sorc/Wiz spell that gives +10 to overcoming one creature's SR. I recommend it over burning a feat, even if it is your highest spell-level and only applies to one creature at a time. Maybe snag a Wand of it, WBL is more common than Feats.

Edit:BoEF. Yeah. It's one of the only unbalanced things in that book, but it is way unbalanced.