PDA

View Full Version : Or maybe this one is me.... [PrC, PEACH]

SilentNight
2008-09-19, 11:51 PM
Darius had finally tracked the thief down. After several heists the culprit had run out of luck. Militia wizards had figured out he was using a mirror image to escape and had briefed him as such. Darius knew he just had to find out which image was the real thief. Surrounded by six copies of the same man, Darius kept his wits about him, when the piercing pain lanced into his shoulder, he focused and found the source. Striking out with his sword, he smiled as his blade bit flesh and the thief turned to flee. Giving chase, Darius cornered the man in an alley, lunged, and then cried out in disbelief as the image vanished beneath his thrust. He stood for a moment, puzzled until his heart set on fire and he saw the tip of a blade protruding from his chest. "Better luck next time," was the last thing he heard.

The Mirage (A better name would be greatly appreciated)

I was inspired to make this class when I was reading some old homebrew and found the fireballer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34761&highlight=hablo+ingles) by Orzel. I wanted it to have a slightly more serious feel than the fireballer but I think it's still a bit unconventional. It is my first PrC so criticism and help are welcome.

Prerequisites
To qualify to become a mirage, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Race: Any nondragon, nonfey, and nonelemental.
Skills: Hide 8 ranks, Bluff 8 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 4 ranks.
Feats: Combat Expertise

The Mirage's class skills are as follows: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (Arcana)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) Spot (Wis) and Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points: (6+Int) per level
Hit Die: d6.

The Mirage
{TABLE=head]Level|Base Attack<bra>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Mirror Image 1/day, Resilient Images

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Mirror Image 2/day,

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Mirror Image 3/day, Separate Images

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Mirror Image 4/day, Which One is the One?

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Mirror Image 5/day,

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Mirror Image 6/day, Even Shadows Can Hurt

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Mirror Image 7/day, You'll Never Know 1/round

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+2|Mirror Image 8/day,

9th|
+6|
+3|+6|
+3|Mirror Image 9/day,

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+3|Mirror Image 10/day You'll Never Know 2/round[/TABLE]

Mirror Image: A Mirage may use Mirror Image as a spell-like ability once per day per class level at caster level equal to her character level.

Resilient ImagesAt first level, a Mirage learns how to better protect his images from discovery. A Mirage grants all his images a bonus to their AC and reflex saves equal to his class level.

Separate Images: At third level, a Mirage learns to free his images of their dependancy on each other. Mirror images created by a mirage need not remain adjacent to each other. The Mirage may make them move on their own each round as a free action. All images must still remain within 10ft.+5ft./2 class levels of the Mirage.

Which one is the one?: At Fourth level, a Mirage can use his images to distract his opponent and grant him flanking bonuses.

Even Shadows Can Hurt:A Mirage can act through his images to a certain extent to further mislead his opponents. He may choose to have a successful attack originate from one of his images rather than himself.

You'll Never Know: At seventh level, a Mirage learns the pinnacle of hiding his location. He may, as either an immediate or swift action, switch places with one of his images within 30ft. At Tenth level he may do this twice a round.

Knaight
2008-09-19, 11:58 PM
It seems pretty powerful, although it is also incredibly awesome. The spell casting loss might balance this one out, but this still seems pretty impressive, and might need to be toned down. Maybe a restriction per day or encounter on you'll never know would do the trick, it seems to be the most glaring problem.

SilentNight
2008-09-20, 12:31 AM
It seems pretty powerful, although it is also incredibly awesome. The spell casting loss might balance this one out, but this still seems pretty impressive, and might need to be toned down. Maybe a restriction per day or encounter on you'll never know would do the trick, it seems to be the most glaring problem.

Perhaps removing or reducing sneak attack and lessening You'll Never Know to once per round..... I'm gonna wait for some more input though.

vegetalss4
2008-09-20, 04:15 AM
why does it gain +2d6 sneak attack twice?

SilentNight
2008-09-20, 08:49 AM
Typo, fixed, thanks. Wow, two replies to 63 views, I think that's my worst ratio yet.

Proven_Paradox
2008-09-20, 02:31 PM
It's an interesting class, and I feel a bit too powerful. First though, some nitpicks:

Skill points? I see class skills, but not skill points per level.

You'll Never Know: At seventh level, a Mirage may as an immediate action, switch places with one of his images within 30ft. At Tenth level he may do this twice a round.

You can only use one immediate action per round. Though I suppose you could use this during your turn as a swift action if you wanted, then an immediate during someone else's turn.

As for critiques to the actual class...

I would make Separate Images something that scales somehow. Perhaps they can spread out five feet plus five feet every two Mirage levels.

Resilient images strikes me as perhaps a bit too strong. Maybe instead, it's intelligence modifier alone, or maybe it's int + 1/2 class levels. As is, it's quite conceivable that your mirror images will have an AC considerably better than your own.

Which One is the One? perhaps could use a /encounter limit. As is, you'll basically always be flanking. With sneak attack, that gets really, really strong.

Again, with Even Shadows can Hurt, I think a /encounter limit is called for.

Still, overall it's a really cool class. I quite like it.

DracoDei
2008-09-20, 08:23 PM
I would apply the AC bonuses to Reflex saves as well, because otherwise it is a bit too vulnerable to Area of Effect attacks.

Knaight
2008-09-20, 09:25 PM
It should be, that makes perfect sense. You have a bunch of copies of you running around, only one of which is real, so someone throws a fireball to incinerate the lot of you, and it works well.

Prometheus
2008-09-20, 10:46 PM
I like it. To counter it, you can't play the game you have to destroy them all or attack en mass.

The thing is that I would imagine a specialty in this magic by have other multiple image effects. Such as splitting up the image of an attack to make it harder to defend against or using your split image power on allies or summons.

SilentNight
2008-09-27, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I changed the wording on You'll never know and Resilient images. Any ideas for reducing the power level?

boomwolf
2008-09-27, 10:14 PM
The sheer coolness is being dragged down by the incredible overpowering.

Icewalker
2008-09-27, 11:39 PM
Very nice. I like the way you did it, and the story to go with it.

...hehe, Yo hablo burnination y fiery apocalypse from the sky.

SilentNight
2008-09-27, 11:55 PM
Go Fax! Alright, I removed the sneak attack and streamlined the text a bit more. How's the balance look?