PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Building Multiclass NPCs

Grey Watcher
2008-09-19, 11:54 PM
So, I'm trying to stat out some NPCs (specifically the Linear Guild) by way of practice mainly, and I was wondering how you handle a multiclass NPC (I was working on Nale, and this issue naturally came up). Do you just take the power(s) you want from an appropriate second class in lieu of one of the ones from the primary one? Do you apply a class template to NPC that already has a class (makes no sense to me, but I suppose it's a solution)? Build the character as if he were a PC to support the added complexity?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-20, 12:03 AM
Applying two Elite templates would get you a solo. You're best off mixing and matching powers to create the multi-class effect. Try to keep within one role (Controller, Skirmisher...) and give HP etc. according to the template with that role.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-20, 12:06 AM
I would apply the Primary class template, and then just add an extra Encounter power for the second class as you desire.

I think for Nale a Rogue with some Wizard might work well. He gets to have Sneak Attack (and he's more stabby than casty) and you can give him a Wizard Utility instead of a Fighter one (I'd recommend Expeditious Retreat - the ultimate for really sneaky guys).

I'd advise against statting him as a full PC - there's not much to be gained, since Templated Monsters are extremely tough already.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-20, 12:50 AM
I'd advise against statting him as a full PC - there's not much to be gained, since Templated Monsters are extremely tough already.

That, and it would really mess up the balance. He'd have way too many encounter and daily powers for a monster - since they can just blow all of them in one encounter - and way too many powers and qualities to keep track of in general.