PDA

View Full Version : Ways to annoy dms

ridly
2008-09-20, 03:50 PM
I am in a group with 3 other players and a dm, and i get bored in the game. and i want new ways to annoy the dm. any ideas?

thegurullamen
2008-09-20, 03:52 PM
Find a new DM or run a game yourself. Sounds like you're not doing anyone any favors by being there and being bored.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-20, 03:54 PM
Put a knife into your ear. The bloodstains on the table and furniture will surely annoy the DM.

Seriously, you're basically asking how to be an ass and expecting a serious answer? If the game's not fun, just stop playing. Making it crap for the DM and other players is just acting like an immature di*k.

AstralFire
2008-09-20, 04:40 PM
I am in a group with 3 other players and a dm, and i get bored in the game. and i want new ways to annoy the dm. any ideas?

Turn into a giant cyborg anthropoid pterodactyl, and then start hurling your DM against the walls with your giant purple claws.

ocato
2008-09-20, 04:41 PM
May attention, make a serious attempt at playing, and behave maturely. He'll hate that.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-20, 04:44 PM
Repeatedly hit other players with foam bat.
Sneak peaks at DMs papers.
Get up now and then to flush every toilet in the house.
bring an ashtray and burn things while waiting for your turn.

Gorbash
2008-09-20, 04:46 PM
bring an ashtray and burn things while waiting for your turn.

By things, he means yourself.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-20, 04:55 PM
Seriously...what the hell? He comes on to ask a question and you all bite his head off.

fractic
2008-09-20, 05:00 PM
Seriously...what the hell? He comes on to ask a question and you all bite his head off.

He's asking how to be a jerk. Maybe the others are just demonstrating. :smalltongue:

Vonriel
2008-09-20, 05:06 PM

Because annoying the DM isn't a solution, it only creates more problems. Talking to the DM is the best cure, letting him know he gets bored and trying to figure out ways to fix it, rather than just acting like an idiot and potentially ruining the experience for everyone else at the table.

insecure
2008-09-20, 05:15 PM
How can one ask how to be a jerk?:smallconfused:

NecroRebel
2008-09-20, 05:25 PM

By asking how to annoy someone? :smalltongue:

More on topic, what you're really looking for I'd wager is ways to not be bored at the table. You can do many things, but what you should be asking is what sorts of behavior you should be doing to help your DM keep the game moving, which in turn prevents you from being bored.

As ocato suggested, behaving maturely, paying attention, and being serious about trying to play the game helps keep the game moving.

If the DM appears to be lost, ask him to elaborate on something you heard before. It doesn't necessarily have to be something you see as important, either; if he's describing a city, ask about the kinds of houses there are, how the streets are laid out, what sorts of people are around, and the like. Anything to give him something to build off of.

If he's discussing tactics with someone else at the table, make suggestions yourself. Try to figure out ways your characters can work together to fight better. If you can beat lesser foes more easily, later you'll go up against more difficult (read: more fun) opponents!

Just in general, though, you want to try to build off of what other people, both DM and players, say at the table. Because that's really why they're there for you; they provide structure.

And, if all else fails, think up a campaign idea of your own and offer to DM. Your current DM will welcome the break - they always do - and it'll give you more of an idea of what sorts of things you like and don't like your players doing, what makes the game move and what stops it, and later when you aren't DMing anymore you can avoid those things that you didn't like as DM.

Behold_the_Void
2008-09-20, 05:26 PM

With good reason. Being a DM is hard enough, it's a pain to deal with problem players - for both the DM and the other players who actually want to game. If the game is going poorly, the solution is to leave, not make an ass of oneself.

AstralFire
2008-09-20, 05:32 PM

The man is right. Ridleys should be biting other peoples' extremities off.

The correct response consists of missiles and energy beams.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-20, 06:53 PM
What I mean is, rather than offering answers or constructive criticism, you flame him. Thereby becoming a jerk yourself.

I simply suggested things that I've done to annoy my DM in the past. Most were done out of a mild case of ADD due to near constant history lessons (which a good chunk of our group disliked).

The foam bat was to be a form of discipline for player stupidity but due to the DM's lack of will to use it, I took it into my hands. (Dont bother pointing out the obvious irony)

Looking at his papers never really offered much information since the font was small and my eyesight was bad but it always seemed to get a jolt out of him. This too was during the history lessons of the campaign.

Getting up and flushing the toilet...frankly I don't know where that came from but it gave me a good opportunity to stretch me legs, which is very much needed while sitting in a hard wooden chair for 8 hours per session.

Last but not least, the burning. After multiple rolls with a "bad die" I simply decided to burn it. I enjoyed burning it so I started burning random bits of paper and garbage whilst waiting for my turn.

Wreckingrocc
2008-09-20, 06:56 PM
Have fun with your experience penalties.:smallamused:

EndlessWrath
2008-09-20, 07:27 PM
I'm sure you've gotten to the point where you will not post back due to the large amounts of criticism toward you. and it all has good reason.

If you were annoying your DM because he's using a DMPC to take all the action..and he never lets you do anything..that would be different.

If you were annoying your DM for results that let you do something... heck I'd understand that too.

but since you're only doing it for personal amusement... i must tell you, that i disagree. It ruins fun of other players...

-------
here's my solution to your problem. Make the game fun yourself. Instead of not having fun and annoying people... just have your character do fun stuff. Make your guy be interesting and fun to role-play (or roll-play).. If you don't like the way is going.. change it... I'm NOT saying kill the entire party or throw the game completely off track... but it never hurts to get the game off the tracks a little.

chiasaur11
2008-09-20, 07:44 PM
I gotta agree with the majority here.

I acted like a jerk to the DM once, got me killed by the rest of the party.

Patched it up with them on a personal level, but still, I got kicked out of a game that turned out kinda fun, and felt like a total tool.

Lert, A.
2008-09-20, 07:52 PM
It wasn't to irritate the DM per se, but I was getting really bored during game sessions due to wall-of-text setting descriptions and such.

For the most part I just ended up derailing him a few times by having my character starting to chop down the wonderfully crafted forest of spirit-trees or some such.

He really got the point when I started bringing craft projects for when things weren't moving along. The best was when I brought in a large package of Styrofoam cups to carve into spaceships and such during an "observe my extended-cut remake of the collected works of Shakespeare" moment.

Of course, then I just said "shut up already so we get to do something," and the game became more interesting. Weird how communication can actually work (from time to time).

ridly
2008-09-20, 08:21 PM
actually i am not the mos annoying player, to matter of fact i am the most serious person in the group. so i don't think getting killed by the other players will happen. as ex. of the other players annoyingness: one cooked orc and another eat raw orc stomach and got ecol i. but i want ways IN game to annoy the dm.

Lert, A.
2008-09-20, 08:35 PM
but i want ways IN game to annoy the dm.

Just doing things that are unexpected is all you need to do.

Why though are you so bored? Why do you want to shake things up?

This would be good to know.

Hairb
2008-09-20, 09:46 PM

Maybe the answer you seek lies within yourself.

See above.

Prometheus
2008-09-20, 10:11 PM
Hmm, let me see if I can puzzle this out...
D&D webcomic -> forums for enthusiasts of D&D -> enthusiastic about D&D enough to DM -> population of DMs + asking how to annoy DMs -> Asinine replies.

Knaight
2008-09-20, 10:13 PM
But it doesn't make sense, we should all find it within ourselves to forgive someone who was asking how to turn time we set aside for fun and entertainment after doing hours of preparation into something we dread, how can we be so mean to someone like that?

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-20, 11:40 PM
Well, ye couldna be a jerk an' jus' choose t' nay post.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-20, 11:48 PM
Here's a good one:

Post on an RPG forum asking for advice on how to annoy the DM.

That'd tick me right off, right off baby.

Knaight
2008-09-20, 11:48 PM
We could, but this was just asking for it.

Lert, A.
2008-09-21, 12:25 AM
Just to point out: as someone who has RPed for a looong time, both as DM and PC, I believe that the most memorable and fun game sessions have always been the ones where the unexpected happen.

Yes, it sometimes ends up being that the DM has lost his hours of work, but the slack-jawed expressions have always been worth it.

Don't turn everything into a versus brawl between players and DM, but only doing the mundane makes for a boring game.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-21, 02:28 AM
Just to point out: as someone who has RPed for a looong time, both as DM and PC, I believe that the most memorable and fun game sessions have always been the ones where the unexpected happen.

Yes, it sometimes ends up being that the DM has lost his hours of work, but the slack-jawed expressions have always been worth it.

Don't turn everything into a versus brawl between players and DM, but only doing the mundane makes for a boring game.

BZZZT, false dilemma, strawman, unrelated argument. The options aren't limited to "annoy the DM" and "do the mundane." (That sounds like a really boring dance move.)

"How can I make a session interesting?" is a far cry from "Ways to annoy DMs", and you'd have to have a truckload of benefit of the doubt to make that jump.

quillbreaker
2008-09-21, 04:04 AM
More on topic, what you're really looking for I'd wager is ways to not be bored at the table.

That's easy.

Play a memorization caster. You can spend all your slow moments contemplating your spell selection, trying to figure out what you are going to encounter down the road, and from that puzzle out your next spell selection. Remember, the reputation of arcanists everywhere is relying on your ability to trivialize every encounter.