PDA

View Full Version : Dodgeball challenge! Azumanga Daioh vs Lucky Star

Cubey
2008-09-20, 05:23 PM
As the title says, two all-girl teams face it off in a game of dodgeball. I'm not familiar with the variant played in Japan, so rules are per the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodgeball). The first team to eliminate all the opposing players wins. The teams are as follows:

Azumanga Team
Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara
Tomo Takino
Chiyo Mihama
Ayumu Kasuga Osaka
Sakaki-san
Kagura
Kaorin
Chihiro

Lucky Star Team
Konata Izumi
Kagami Hiiragi
Tsukasa Hiiragi
Miyuki Takara
Yutaka Kobayakawa
Minami Iwasaki
Patricia Martin
Hiyori Tamura

Characters act as per their canon appearances, with one exception: they are not familiar with the opposing team's players, even if it would make sense for them to be (for example, you can be sure Konata knows about Azumanga Daioh).

Who wins?

Mr. Scaly
2008-09-20, 10:32 PM
Oh dear sweet mother of God, the universe is folding in on itself as I type. :smallwink:

Texas_Ben
2008-09-20, 10:49 PM
Team sea slug wins, hands down.

JeminiZero
2008-09-20, 10:51 PM
Well, if you subdivide the girls into fitness levels:

Azumanga Team
Sporting Powerhouses
Sakaki-san
Kagura

Above Average
Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara
Tomo Takino

Average
Kaorin
Chihiro

Below Average
Chiyo Mihama

Trip over their own feet
Ayumu Kasuga Osaka (OK, she won't actually trip over her feet, but I do see her standing there in a daze as the balls fly past her)

Lucky Star Team
Sporting Powerhouses
Minami Iwasaki (When in Yutaka Protective Frenzy)
Konata Izumi (Although probably not at Sakaki/Kagura levels)

Above Average

Average
Patricia Martin (Assuming her Otaku-ness does not put her below average, as it would with Hiyori)
Kagami Hiiragi

Below Average
Hiyori Tamura

Trip over their own feet
Tsukasa Hiiragi
Miyuki Takara
Yutaka Kobayakawa

On the whole, Team Azumanga has more heavy hitters and less people who trip over their own feet, so I would say Team Azumanga. That said, Team Azumanga largely consists of average schoolgirls, while Team Lucky Star is weighed down by Otakus and defenceless moe archetypes.

Recaiden
2008-09-20, 11:47 PM
I think the Lucky Star team, but i am only vaguely familiar with either of them.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-21, 12:05 AM
The AzuDai girls definitely seem to have the edge in athletic prowess, but all Konata has to do is envision herself playing Super Dodgeball and it's game over...

Closet_Skeleton
2008-09-21, 02:44 AM
Since the Azumanga characters would make a terrible team, I'm assuming that the Lucky Star characters (who I have no idea about due to never having seen a single episode) aren't that great either.

So I just put it down to Sakaki.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-21, 05:33 AM
Azumanga Team
Above Average
Tomo Takino

Lucky Star Team
Trip over their own feet
Miyuki Takara

Debatable. Tomo has a tendency to run at 150% performance from the start and therefore she runs out of stamina quickly - this is more important in racing than dodgeball, but nevertheless her performance will drop as the game progresses much faster than everyone else's. As for Miyuki, seeing that she won a race, I wouldn't put her at the lowest category.

Overall, Team AD Sea Slug Team has skill level all over the board, while Team LS is more consistent.

Cubey
2008-09-21, 05:42 AM
Azumanga Team
Sporting Powerhouses
Sakaki-san
Kagura

Above Average
Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara
Tomo Takino

Average
Kaorin
Chihiro

Below Average
Chiyo Mihama

Trip over their own feet
Ayumu Kasuga Osaka (OK, she won't actually trip over her feet, but I do see her standing there in a daze as the balls fly past her)

Lucky Star Team
Sporting Powerhouses
Minami Iwasaki (When in Yutaka Protective Frenzy)
Konata Izumi (Although probably not at Sakaki/Kagura levels)

Above Average

Average
Patricia Martin (Assuming her Otaku-ness does not put her below average, as it would with Hiyori)
Kagami Hiiragi

Below Average
Hiyori Tamura

Trip over their own feet
Tsukasa Hiiragi
Miyuki Takara
Yutaka Kobayakawa

If you put it that way, then indeed Sea Slugs have a distinct advantage. But my judgement is different, which puts teams on a more equal level:

Tomo is hyperactive and very competetive, but her actual sport prowess is deceptively low. She's not weak, but she's not as strong as she seems to be.
Hiyori has proved herself to be very agile and quick-reflexed (is that even a word?), although she rarely uses her skills to full potential. Mostly when her drawing hand is in danger - for example when she tripped and spinned in the air to shield it from harm. Of course, she DID trip in the first place.
Sakaki will be hesitant, to say at least, to throw her projectile at anyone she perceives small and cute. That includes Yutaka (not a big disadvantage) and Konata (a GIANT disadvantage). I could be cruel and say that with the chibi way Lucky Star characters are drawn, all of them count as small and cute - but I won't. Fortunately, Kagura doesn't discriminate on her targets. :smallamused:
Kagami is extremely competetive, but I already assumed at Tomo's case that competetiveness =! skill, so nevermind.

But on the other hand...
Kaorin will do anything to prove herself to Sakaki-san, so she'll be determined to give 120% of her limit.

@Tengu: Miyuki might have stamina (and, ahem, boobs) for races, but she's a 100% dojikko. She won't stand a chance dodging a ball.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-09-21, 07:42 AM
Is this really about who will win, or is it actually about who will be cuter when they lose?

Cubey
2008-09-21, 07:51 AM
We all know that the real winners are Kimura-sensei and Konata's dad, who are BOUND to be watching the match. Probably in hiding. And taking pictures.

JeminiZero
2008-09-21, 07:55 AM
Debatable. Tomo has a tendency to run at 150% performance from the start and therefore she runs out of stamina quickly - this is more important in racing than dodgeball, but nevertheless her performance will drop as the game progresses much faster than everyone else's.

Dodgeball is a very fast game. Most matches are over in several minutes. As I see it, she won't completely run out of stamina before the end of one match. Now if it were a series of matches...

Sakaki will be hesitant, to say at least, to throw her projectile at anyone she perceives small and cute. That includes Yutaka (not a big disadvantage) and Konata (a GIANT disadvantage).

Initially perhaps, but as soon as anything hits Chiyo-chan*, she will show no mercy. Why she may even tie up her hair, upon which she moves from sporting powerhouse to Demi-God(dess).

*Notably the last time she did that, nothing had actually hit Chiyo-chan, they were merely losing badly, so the threshold for this occuring may be much lower than we believe.

But on the other hand...
Kaorin will do anything to prove herself to Sakaki-san, so she'll be determined to give 120% of her limit.

This is true. Why, it has been scientifically proven by the Giant that love gives +2 circumstance bonus. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0262.html)

Lyesmith
2008-09-21, 02:18 PM
You know who really wins in this game?
Kimura-Sensei (http://azumanga.thoughtdump.net/kimurabio.html)