PDA

View Full Version : OOTS the Web Series

Arcweilder1
2008-09-20, 08:31 PM
if the author of OOTS Rich Burlew made a web series portraying all of our favorite characters in a hilarious animation on the site how many people would watch it also i have no intention of making such a web series with out The Giants permission

Arcweilder1
2008-09-20, 08:42 PM
also i apologize if this conversation has been done before i haven't been on in a while

David Argall
2008-09-20, 09:04 PM
Yes, the idea, or a variant of it, has been suggested, several times. It is generally abandoned when it is realized just how much work is actually involved to do a good job. Different mediums have different demands and converting is often as hard as starting from scratch.

I believe our artist also has a rather negative attitude on the point, but for the most part, it has never advanced to the point where his approval was needed.

Arcweilder1
2008-09-20, 09:09 PM
well i know enough people who could draw and voice the characters and have the programs to where it actually could become a possibility that it could be turned it to a Web Series but like i said i wouldn't do it without the permission of the Artist i was just curious as to the number of people who would actually watch it

Heroic
2008-09-20, 09:19 PM
I would watch it, that would be really cool! But if the Giant doesn't want to, it will not happen

mr.fizzypop
2008-09-20, 09:23 PM
Personally I think it would pretty difficult, it would be a pain to find someone to do the voice of V, and still keep the unknown gender. Also you'd probally need Rich's permission which will be hard to get.

But if it you did make one, yah I would probally watch it, just to check it out

Arcweilder1
2008-09-20, 09:27 PM
well me and all the people i was discussing this with started jokingly at first then seriously got to thinking about it for V's voice we were thinking of a mono-tonic voice so thereby keeping her/his gender a secret it was that or every few episodes we switched between a girl and boy voice

Heroic
2008-09-20, 09:27 PM
I think V's voice actor would be the easiest to find:
Any emo male singer :smallbiggrin:

keeperoflore
2008-09-20, 09:33 PM
i would watch, mostly because i have nothing better to do with my time.

Who_Da_Halfling
2008-09-21, 04:49 AM
Other, larger question: Assuming the license would be extended (presumably the OOTS brand must be licensed by now), how would such a web series fit into the continuity? As much as I love the characters, watching a web series which doesn't gel at all with the current continuity would be extremely dissatisifying, and I doubt very much that Rich would allow important plot points to be disseminated through the web series alone (and if they are in the web series AND the comic, then we're looking at simply converting the existing comic into a cartoon form, which is a totally different, if not uninteresting, topic).

Ultimately, while I find the source material extremely entertaining and engrossing, I'm not sure that more than one medium at a time is even desirable.

-JM

NerfTW
2008-09-21, 08:13 AM
It would likely be like the Dragon Magazine strips, outside continuity.

This is one of the problems I have with a lot of the animated shorts webcomics do nowadays. PVP was funny, but was completely at odds with the comic itself. Everyone already has an office, their friend Reggie is black, and I can't remember the rest, but almost every episode's premise didn't work in the main continuity, making it a bit like shoehorning the characters into a completely different spinoff.