PDA

View Full Version : Mythic Exemplar of Sunyartra: 12-20 Critical Threat?

Maerok
2008-09-20, 09:04 PM
Can a Mythic Exemplar of Sunyarta choose to take his least gift all 4 times (+1 to critical threat range)?

If so, imagine the Lightning Mace feat (CWar)... A light mace has a critical of x2. With 4 cases of the Least Gift, plus keen (which make it a 19-20 to start), one of your maces gets a critical threat range of 15-20/x2 and when you even threaten a critical you get a new melee attack. If keen is applied afterward, however, that light mace is now 12-20/x2.

There also might be a way to combine it with Dervish for something like 10-20/x2 on a scimitar.

Or, go kukri. Starts at 18-20. 8 levels of ME lowers that to 14-20. Keen doubles that range to 7-20. No reason not to score a critical at that point.

Demons_eye
2008-09-20, 09:16 PM
If thats true get blood in the water stance from ToB and you get +1 to hit for every crt you get O.o

namo
2008-09-20, 09:38 PM
Off hand, I'd say you can't but I'm AFB.

Check out the Disciple of Dispater (BoVD) for crit goodness.

Thexare Blademoon
2008-09-20, 09:52 PM
A light mace has a critical of x2. With 4 cases of the Least Gift, plus keen

If this is D&D 3.0/3.5 (and people really should say these things in the post/title), I don't think keen can be used on Bludgeoning weapons.

Hurlbut
2008-09-20, 10:02 PM
If this is D&D 3.0/3.5 (and people really should say these things in the post/title), I don't think keen can be used on Bludgeoning weapons.But there is a property just like Keen just for bludgeoning weapons I think it's Impacting or such.

Eldaran
2008-09-20, 10:11 PM
Each time you take the Least Gift, it just gives you an extra use per day of the ability. So you could get +1 to threat range 4 times per day, but not +4 threat range once per day.

Glimbur
2008-09-20, 10:12 PM
Can a Mythic Exemplar of Sunyarta choose to take his least gift all 4 times (+1 to critical threat range)?

If so, imagine the Lightning Mace feat (CWar)... A light mace has a critical of x2. With 4 cases of the Least Gift, plus keen (which make it a 19-20 to start), one of your maces gets a critical threat range of 15-20/x2 and when you even threaten a critical you get a new melee attack. If keen is applied afterward, however, that light mace is now 12-20/x2.

There also might be a way to combine it with Dervish for something like 10-20/x2 on a scimitar.

Or, go kukri. Starts at 18-20. 8 levels of ME lowers that to 14-20. Keen doubles that range to 7-20. No reason not to score a critical at that point.

Go a step further and make your kukris Adaptable or Versatile or whatever it is from the ToB that lets you use them for weapon specific abilities they don't qualify for. Then Lighting Mace it up with two kukris.

JupiterPaladin
2008-09-20, 11:00 PM
Keen/Impacting does not work that way. If you have a 19-20 threat range it becomes 17-20, then apply skill/class/whatever modifiers. You can't just wait till you apply everything then double. It only increases by a number equal to the original threat range. See the SRD:

Keen
This ability doubles the threat range of a weapon. Only piercing or slashing weapons can be keen. (If you roll this property randomly for an inappropriate weapon, reroll.) This benefit doesn’t stack with any other effect that expands the threat range of a weapon (such as the keen edge spell or the Improved Critical feat).

See that part in bold?

Chronos
2008-09-21, 12:04 AM
If you're going for an insanely broad critical range (however you achieve it), you also want to remember that you have to hit first before you can threaten. It doesn't help much to have a 12-20 crit range, if you need a 15 to hit.

Wolfpack
2008-09-21, 12:55 AM
If you're going for an insanely broad critical range (however you achieve it), you also want to remember that you have to hit first before you can threaten. It doesn't help much to have a 12-20 crit range, if you need a 15 to hit.

Um, that's pretty much the exact opposite of how the rules work.

You automatically hit on any critical threat. What this does is mean you hit on 12-20, no matter what their AC is.

You then have to confirm of course, but a simple casting of dolorous blow takes care of that (level 2 spell, all threats automatically confirm).

Frosty
2008-09-21, 12:57 AM

You automatically hit on any critical threat. What this does is mean you hit on 12-20, no matter what their AC is.

You then have to confirm of course, but a simple casting of dolorous blow takes care of that (level 2 spell, all threats automatically confirm).

That was 3.0. We are talking about 3.5 afaik.

RTGoodman
2008-09-21, 12:58 AM

Nope.

Critical Hits

When you make an attack roll and get a natural 20 (the d20 shows 20), you hit regardless of your target’s Armor Class, and you have scored a threat. The hit might be a critical hit (or "crit"). To find out if it’s a critical hit, you immediately make a critical roll—another attack roll with all the same modifiers as the attack roll you just made. If the critical roll also results in a hit against the target’s AC, your original hit is a critical hit. (The critical roll just needs to hit to give you a crit. It doesn’t need to come up 20 again.) If the critical roll is a miss, then your hit is just a regular hit.

Increased Threat Range
Sometimes your threat range is greater than 20. That is, you can score a threat on a lower number. In such cases, a roll of lower than 20 is not an automatic hit. Any attack roll that doesn’t result in a hit is not a threat.

A critical threat is NOT an automatic hit - only a natural 20 is. Everything I've seen in 3.5 says the same (PHB, SRD, Rules Compendium, etc.).

Jimp
2008-09-21, 06:53 AM
This is also a common mistake with the Vorpal weapon enchant. Vorpal only works on a natural 20, not on any crit.

Keld Denar
2008-09-21, 09:31 AM
Unfortunately, the Aptitude weapon property doesn't work like its commonly touted about. I thought it did, at first, until I took the time to...you know...actually read the ability. It does 2 things. First, it allows you to use a weapon as if you had proficiency, which is pretty much a non-factor, and it allows you to apply feats you have where you specify a specific weapon to the Aptitude weapon. This is pretty much limited to (Greater) Weapon Focus, (Greater) Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, and Weapon Supremacy. Its basically a dumbed down version of a Warblades ability to refocus his weapon specific feats. It does NOT work with things like Lightning Maces, Boomerang Daze, Spinning Halberd, Three Mountains, etc. It does not give you a free pass to mix and match any weapon properties you want.

Sholos
2008-09-21, 09:53 AM
I always thought it was dumb that Keen and Improved Critical don't stack. You'd think that if you're good at getting criticals with a normal sword, you'd be even better with a sharp (relatively) one. Oh well.

Maerok
2008-09-22, 01:34 PM
I was under the impression that the Least Gift was always active. But now that you mention it as +1 to critical threat once per day that seems like a more intended meaning.