PDA

View Full Version : Best wii games on the market

Heroic
2008-09-20, 10:03 PM
I have just bought a wii and I'm overwhelmed with games I would like to buy. My questions are:
What is the top ten of current wii games?
what si the top five of future wii games?
What is the top five of current wii RPG (action, heavy RPG, etc) games?

Thanks in advance

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-20, 10:08 PM
You like fighting games? Brawl.
You like RTS? Battalion wars, and Pikmin 3 (when it comes out)

RPG, for example, has few games on the Wii, but I would suggest getting super mario galaxy, especially if you like mario.

Heroic
2008-09-20, 10:11 PM
Thanks a lot, Mario is my favourite character in all gaming actually :smallwink:

Knaight
2008-09-20, 10:18 PM
Metroid Prime 3 was amazing, the new final fantasy crystal chronicals for the wii looks like it might be cool, and super smash bros brawl wasn't bad. That and using the virtual console grab super metroid(the original was pretty good, but super metroid was better), Mario 64, and maybe some other games.

Volug
2008-09-20, 10:25 PM
I have just bought a wii and I'm overwhelmed with games I would like to buy. My questions are:
What is the top ten of current wii games?
what si the top five of future wii games?
What is the top five of current wii RPG (action, heavy RPG, etc) games?

Thanks in advance

Okami

For ALL of them.

Geno9999
2008-09-20, 10:26 PM
How do you like your RPG? Heavy element or light? In Heavy, I suggest Fire Emblem 10 (Radiant Dawn), a plus if you have FE 9 (Path of Radiance) for the GCN. For Light, Super Paper Mario pulls a Platformer with light RPG elements. If you take a look at VC, there's Zelda 2 (they play a bit the same.)

I second Brawl and Galaxy, but there's a cool game for attractive people (http://www.telltalegames.com/strongbad/), if you catch my drift (although, a bit much on memory)

Like fries with that?:smallamused:

Heroic
2008-09-20, 10:46 PM
Hey thanks a lot!

DigoDragon
2008-09-22, 07:54 AM
That and using the virtual console...

I think Mario RPG came out recently on VC. That was an interesting game.
I like the backwards compatibility of Wii, allowing me to buy some of the better Game Cube games as well.

Knaight
2008-09-22, 08:07 AM
The paper mario series is pretty much all up. I don't think star fox command is though, which is a pity, since its supposed to be really good and I liked adventure and assault.

Mando Knight
2008-09-22, 12:00 PM
Anything by Nintendo is good (Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Brawl, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn...), and some of the third party games are worth looking into: Mega Man 9 comes out today in the US :smallbiggrin:, SBCG4AP is good, I haven't played Okami yet, but it's supposed to be good...

Hzurr
2008-09-22, 12:08 PM
Wii exclusive must-own games:

Super Mario Galaxy
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Smash Bros: Brawl

Other good Wii-exclusive games:
Zach & Wiki
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
da Blob
Strong bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (VC, and only if you're a homestar runner fan)

Games which are availible on other systems, but whose Wii version is better (in my opinion):
Resident Evil 4
Okami
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (unless you're able to get the downloadable content on the 360)
Force Unleashed (graphics are pretty meh, but controls are awesome)

Future Wii Games:
Guitar Hero: World tour (get this over rockband, because you'll have downloadable content)
Deadly Creatures

hmm....there are more on all of these lists, but I'm drawing a brain fart at the moment

Dihan
2008-09-22, 01:03 PM
Wii exclusive must-own games:

Super Mario Galaxy
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Smash Bros: Brawl

Other good Wii-exclusive games:
Zach & Wiki
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
da Blob
Strong bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (VC, and only if you're a homestar runner fan)

Games which are availible on other systems, but whose Wii version is better (in my opinion):
Resident Evil 4
Okami
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (unless you're able to get the downloadable content on the 360)
Force Unleashed (graphics are pretty meh, but controls are awesome)

Future Wii Games:
Guitar Hero: World tour (get this over rockband, because you'll have downloadable content)
Deadly Creatures

I agree with most of this except for my emphasis. Do not ever get MUA for anything other than PC. Anything that was available in XML1/2, and the PSP, 360 and "next gen" versions of MUA have been made as mods for the PC. Completely free and just as good.

There are also some Gamecube games you could get, such as Metroid Prime 1 and 2, and Tales of Symphonia (there's a sequel being released on the Wii, so play it quickly!).

Mc. Lovin'
2008-09-22, 01:08 PM
Call o Duty was fun
Legend of Zelda (of course)

tribble
2008-09-22, 01:08 PM
Brawl is good. espescially when you unlock boss battles. seriously, those are some of the most epic fights...ESPECIALLY when you use luigi's Shoryuken.

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-22, 01:32 PM
Save for Okami, RPG's for the Wii seem to be a bit lacking. In my opinion you'd be better off looking for Gamecube RPGs: Tales of Symphonia and Skies of Arcadia Legends rank pretty high on my list.

For over the top violence in a beat-em-up, you can't beat No More Heroes. It can get really crude sometimes, but the humor and satire in it can't be beat.

itsmeyouidiot
2008-09-22, 04:31 PM
WAH-HA! Who can forget-a the Wario Land Shake?

Note: This is much funnier when read in Wario's voice.

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-22, 07:37 PM
Brawl is good. espescially when you unlock boss battles. seriously, those are some of the most epic fights...ESPECIALLY when you use luigi's Shoryuken.

Shoryuken?

And also, if you want GCN games then there is:

Pikmin, and pikmin 2
Baldur's gate: Dark alliance I
I'll add more when I'am not tired...

Volug
2008-09-22, 07:59 PM
Save for Okami, RPG's for the Wii seem to be a bit lacking. In my opinion you'd be better off looking for Gamecube RPGs: Tales of Symphonia and Skies of Arcadia Legends rank pretty high on my list.

Okami is a Fantasy Action Adventure, and it can be slightly argued, but the only thing at all similar to RPG-ish stuff in there is the Praise system.

Otherwise it IS action-adventure.

And Tales of Symphonia 2 is coming out SOON, for the Wii.

Mr. Mud
2008-09-22, 09:38 PM
Top 10 wii games out there right now...? Hell I can think of 5:

1.) Super Smash Brothers Brawl... You'll never get tired of it, but if you own the Wii, odds are you have this game.

2.) The Zelda game, whose name elludes me.

3.) Super Mario Galaxy... It has everyone's favorite plumber... G. GORDON LIDDY! (:smalltongue:)

4.) Excite Truck if you are looking for a decent racer.

5.) Marvel Ultimate Alliance... It was a game that you either loved or hated...

And my thoughts on the Future of the Wii market...?

I think the Wii was awesome for 5-6 monthes then got way to repeatative... That's why I'm ordering an Xbox and Left for Dead :smallbiggrin:.

OH OH OH and Resident Evil 4 was freakin' aweosme when you drink a couple of Five Hour Energies before it :smallbiggrin:.

G'luck

Mud.

Knaight
2008-09-22, 10:25 PM
The term you were looking for is Metroid prime 3, for rank 2. That said pick up Tales of Symphonia on the gamecube.

Mando Knight
2008-09-22, 11:32 PM
Save for Okami, RPG's for the Wii seem to be a bit lacking.

Go on the VC. Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario are out now... and Chrono Trigger, Dragon Warrior, and Final Fantasy seem to be prime candidates for Square-Enix's VC follow-ups after Super Mario RPG...

Also, what are you doing drinking Five Hour Energy? I use POWERTHIRST (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs) because it fills you with MENERGY and has MORE LYTES THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR!

itsmeyouidiot
2008-09-23, 02:12 PM
Chrono Trigger, Dragon Warrior, and Final Fantasy seem to be prime candidates for Square-Enix's VC follow-ups after Super Mario RPG...

You're forgetting that this is Square Enix we're talking about. They're porting Chrono Trigger for the DS, remember?

They'd much rather charge $40 for a port with little to no new content than charge $8 for the original, they'd really only sell the originals if they went for their original prices, around $40-80 (and people would still buy them!)

They're sell-outs, I tell ya... That's why they're making FF13 multi-platform; the PS3's doing too poorly for it to be an exclusive, in their eyes. (They might have changed their mind, though, if Sony had bribed them to stay exclusive.)

Oregano
2008-09-23, 02:15 PM
I disagree, all of the currentgen releases of old games have been remakes not rereleases, they are adding new stuff, updating it and they're superb, it's understandable they'd pay so much. They've also retranslated all the games I think, that takes time and money.

I think they may release the first three Dragonquest games for VC because they're remaking IV(already done and a great game), V and VI for the DS.

EDIT: They never had any loyalty to Sony and in fact they'd never been exclusively released for Sony consoles, they'd had PC releases so they'd already been produced for Microsoft systems, now that Microsoft has a viable console, they aren't making a PC version.

Plus Square Enix seems to love Nintendo, look at the amount of games they've released for the DS alone(I've got nine, and there's atleast 15 I think).

EDIT 2: Ooops, sorry my post's so off topic, we can continue this discussion elsewhere or through PM if you want.

Joran
2008-09-23, 02:26 PM
Plus Square Enix seems to love Nintendo, look at the amount of games they've released for the DS alone(I've got nine, and there's atleast 15 I think).

Square-Enix loves money. The DS is the most popular hand-held system, ergo, it makes them money.

Square-Enix moved Final Fantasy from Nintendo to Sony. Nothing personal, it's just that at that time, the Sony hardware was better and more popular.

They're sell-outs, I tell ya... That's why they're making FF13 multi-platform; the PS3's doing too poorly for it to be an exclusive, in their eyes. (They might have changed their mind, though, if Sony had bribed them to stay exclusive.)

Only in the U.S. In Japan, it's still PS3 exclusive. Once again, despite owning a PS3, I don't begrudge them. More access to games is a positive, in my book.

Back onto topic, if you like mindless mayhem, No More Heroes is fun. Mad World is coming out sometime soon.

Also, Boom Blox is fun in spurts.

Hzurr
2008-09-23, 03:02 PM
Also, Boom Blox is fun in spurts.

I've got it, and while I mainly only play it when my family comes over, it strikes me that it could be an awesome drinking game with friends.

!!However!! Use. The. Wrist. Straps.

Moreso than any other game, use the wrist straps for Boom Blox, or I promise you that something will be destroyed.

Geno9999
2008-09-23, 04:01 PM
I've got it, and while I mainly only play it when my family comes over, it strikes me that it could be an awesome drinking game with friends.

!!However!! Use. The. Wrist. Straps.

Moreso than any other game, use the wrist straps for Boom Blox, or I promise you that something will be destroyed.
Something other than blocks?:smallbiggrin:
I don't really get the deal with how people are complaining about FF13. I mean, if anything, it should be the Nintendo Fanboys writing angry letters to Square-Enix because they should return the FF series (no spin-offs) back to Nintendo consoles.
Also, I want Geno to make a comeback in a new game.:smallsmile:

Heroic
2008-09-29, 09:59 PM
Thanks a lot people, I'll take your opinion in to account

Texas Jedi
2008-09-30, 10:06 AM
I would suggest Godfather: Blackhand edition.

It was a port to a PS2 game but they added some motion controls. Strangling people with a garrote is still one of the most fun things to do with a Wii mote.

I would try Boom Blox, that game is fun for the whole family and the multi-person modes can get very, very hard.

I like Korinokopia (Marble Madness) that game almost had me pulling my hair out on some of the levels (it is fun though).

Galaxy Wars was a great casual game to play thru a few levels and then set it back down. I thought it was fun.

Link's Crossbow adventure with the Wii zapper was great.

Get both of the Pikmin games for the Gamecube if you haven't already.

I would get the other 2 Metroid Prime games and beat them first before you try Corruption. You might get lost story wise.

I would also get Tales of Symphonia as well that was a great RPG.

Egiam
2008-09-30, 10:43 AM
I heavily recomend Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.
In my opinion, its not that good a game, but the gameplay and sound effects are fantastic. The programing is crummy and glitches and the graphics are bad (but what can you expect from a Wii?), but the revolutionary control scheme is fantastic. This is a game that I think everyone should at least rent.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-09-30, 12:00 PM
Future Wii Games:

Actually, Harmonix is currently saying that Rock Band 2 for Wii will support downloadable content. Although they aren't saying how. Of course I don't know that the Guitar Hero folks have given details either. There's a good chance it will require yet another peripheral for the Wii.

Link for confirmation: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/29/harmonix-confirms-rb2-wii-dlc

Mando Knight
2008-09-30, 12:43 PM
Actually, Harmonix is currently saying that Rock Band 2 for Wii will support downloadable content. Although they aren't saying how. Of course I don't know that the Guitar Hero folks have given details either. There's a good chance it will require yet another peripheral for the Wii.

Link for confirmation: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/29/harmonix-confirms-rb2-wii-dlc

It'll probably be the same way as Mega Man 9 or FF Chrystal Chronicles: My Life as a King... it's accessible through an in-game menu that connects to the internet and asks Nintendo politely for the amount of Wii Points attributed to the console in question, and provides a shop list of available DLC. It probably wasn't available for Rock Band 1/GH3 because their Wii ports were developed before the release of WiiWare, which seems to be how FFCCMLK and MM9 access available DLC.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-09-30, 12:49 PM
It'll probably be the same way as Mega Man 9 or FF Chrystal Chronicles: My Life as a King... it's accessible through an in-game menu that connects to the internet and asks Nintendo politely for the amount of Wii Points attributed to the console in question, and provides a shop list of available DLC. It probably wasn't available for Rock Band 1/GH3 because their Wii ports were developed before the release of WiiWare, which seems to be how FFCCMLK and MM9 access available DLC.

The bigger question is where the heck are they gonna store it? The Wii's 512MB internal memory just isn't going to be up to the job. SD cards might do the job, but those don't come that big yet, and last I heard there were technical reasons that they would be problematic, but those might be able to be bypassed with a Wii firmware update. Speculation is that Nintendo will release a hard drive of some kind, which is what prompted my peripheral required comment.

serok42
2008-09-30, 12:59 PM
I really like the lego series.

Currently have Starwars: The Complete Saga and Indiana Jones.
Batman is out as well but I have not played it.

I second (or third) Zelda and Mario Galaxy

Boom Blocks is pretty good as well

Geno9999
2008-09-30, 05:25 PM
The bigger question is where the heck are they gonna store it? The Wii's 512MB internal memory just isn't going to be up to the job. SD cards might do the job, but those don't come that big yet, and last I heard there were technical reasons that they would be problematic, but those might be able to be bypassed with a Wii firmware update. Speculation is that Nintendo will release a hard drive of some kind, which is what prompted my peripheral required comment.
I thought for sure I saw 2GB cards at Wal-mart...
The one I have right now works fine (I think it's a 258mb?:smallconfused: I didn't look at it recently.) but I use that for JUST Wii, so get a bigger one if you or spouse likes to take pictures in Brawl or uses it for other things.

DigoDragon
2008-10-01, 07:35 AM
I thought for sure I saw 2GB cards at Wal-mart...

Yes they do (I bought one). Maybe the question was about accessing that memory card?

Triaxx
2008-10-01, 08:07 AM
I'm hoping we'll be able to do something with those two USB ports on the back storing and playing from a Flash drive, or my 320GB external hard drive.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-10-01, 08:45 AM
When they announced that the original Wii Rock Band would not have DLC there was some statements made which basically said that the Wii is not built to allow games to have access to data on SD cards. The SD cards are designed for storage purposes only, you have to shuffle content between the cards and the Wii's main memory if you really want to use it.

However, I thought I heard about a game that could stream music off an SD card, so perhaps someone figured out a way around the limitation. Or that it wasn't a real limitation, just difficult to do quickly.

Obviously an external hard drive would really be best.

The Duskblade
2008-10-01, 08:50 AM
Throwing a few out there.

Zelda (Natually)
Mario Galaxy (Ditto)
Super smash Bros Bra... Hell with it. If Nintendo made it assume I'm going to vouch for it (I'm such a friggen fan boy)
Zac and Wiki (If your into point and click adventure games and dont mind the game occasionally giving you a score of 100 out of a possible 30 billion.)
De Blob: (Great looking Platformer that feels like a pixar film. More fun then it has any right to be. Get Painting.)
Okami (A remake yes. Technically a Zelda clone. But you take something awesome, clone it and give it Japan flavouring then you recive a game that is awesome with Japan Flavouring.)
Super Mario RPG: (Techically not a Wii game. However it can be played on the wii and is Awesome enough to have its place in this list.)

A few pottential future titles to look forward too.

Deadly Creatures. (Looks very preetiful, actually not so much considering this is a game about creepy crawlies, but the Graphics look impressive. Play as both the brawler Scorpion or the stealth based Taratula.)
Fragile (A JRPG that has at this point only been annouced in Japan. Heres hoping someone drags it kicking and screaming our way, because damn that looks preety.)
Fatal Frame (Killing Ghosts with a camera? Supposedly arbitarily difficult control issues aside, looks interesting. Hopfuly it will be edited to make the camera be controled be the IR pointer before it gets here.)

Egiam
2008-10-01, 12:45 PM
I have to recommend Mariokart also