PDA

View Full Version : DragonBall Online

Enlong
2008-09-20, 10:51 PM
So I found out about this game, DragonBall Online. It's a Dragonball MMORPG.

Now before you start chucking wine bottles at this message, there's a deal of good news about this game. It's not just a spinoff. It's a full-blown sequel to DBZ written by Toriyama himself (he has apparently been working on this project for five years), which means, among other things, that we have even more cause to ignore GT and everything it stands for.

Now, as for specific goodies. The game is set in Age 1000, 216 years after the end of DBZ. Not a whole lot of the story has been revealed yet, but there's some kind of new aliens called Yardratians or something in the galaxy, a gulf in time, and a mysterious organization called the Dark Eye, which has divided the world int pieces. In addition to all of this, the game includes "Time Machine missions" which allow your party to travel back in time and take part in important battles from DBZ (among the ones show., the fight against Raditz and the first fight with Vegeta)
Gameplay looks to be fairly standard MMORPG fare. There's three races, each with a few classes: Human, Namekian, and Majin (as in, Buu). Yeah, that's right, no Saiyans. Apparently Goku and Vegeta failed to rebuild the race. It helps to balance the game better anyway.

I think it's a pretty sweet thing. DragonBall was, for all its faults, a fine action series, and it's nice to see it get a properly-written sequel, even if it's a game and not a show.
So yeah, discuss what you think about this.

Crispy Dave
2008-09-21, 12:41 AM
well when I first heard of it I was like Oh NO its gonna be some GT crap but now from what you've told me im a little excited.Now I have an excuse to go back and watch the show again in full

Enlong
2008-09-21, 12:50 AM
well when I first heard of it I was like Oh NO its gonna be some GT crap but now from what you've told me im a little excited.Now I have an excuse to go back and watch the show again in full

Yeah. Toriyama is involved with this project in a big way. It's the sequel he wants to make. And storyline-wise, it completely ignores GT. Didn't happen, whic is good, 'cause none of the fanbase really likes GT anyways.
I saw a few gameplay videos. It seems to be simmilar in play style to any other MMORPG I've seen. You walk around, engage monsters, click to start attacking, and click your moves to use 'em. I've seen people using Kamehamehas and Destructo Discs so far, and I've heard Spirit Bomb is in the game.

In case anyone wanted to know the classes, I've got 'em, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Human:
Martial Artist (Ki fighter, like Krillien, Tien, Yamcha), Spiritualist (like Chiaoutzu), and Engineer (like Bulma turned awesome)

Namekian:
Warrior (like Picoolo or Nail), Dragon Clan (more spiritual abilities, like Dende or Kami)

Majin:
Large Majin (like Fat Buu), Strange Majin (looks like Kid Buu)

Incidentally, I have no freaking clue what the Majin classes are gonna actually do either. Should be interesting, though.

turkishproverb
2008-09-21, 01:02 AM
I can only imagine the training missions.

*level one character looks around.*

"DODGE!"

*Blast hits them*

Enlong
2008-09-21, 01:10 AM

"DODGE!"

*Blast hits them*

Hah! That's actually pretty hilarious.

But seriously, if there isn't a "dodge the bees" mission or an "outswim the sharks", or at least an "escape the anachronistic dinosaur" mission, then I will be sorely disappointed. Oh, and there MUST be a quest where you deliver milk. :smallbiggrin:

turkishproverb
2008-09-21, 01:46 AM
Hah! That's actually pretty hilarious.

But seriously, if there isn't a "dodge the bees" mission or an "outswim the sharks", or at least an "escape the anachronistic dinosaur" mission, then I will be sorely disappointed. Oh, and there MUST be a quest where you deliver milk. :smallbiggrin:

Or a wishing for Panties mission. Don't forget that.

You have no idea how hilarious
"Yar, Get Me outta here!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6P_sXbQtgc&feature=related)

Moonshadow
2008-09-21, 01:55 AM
This actually sounds pretty damned awesome. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

*is totally a Yamcha fanboy*

Crispy Dave
2008-09-21, 12:01 PM
*is too lazy to search for info*

Is there a release date or estimated release time or beta or anything you know about?

Tengu_temp
2008-09-21, 12:07 PM

"DODGE!"

*Blast hits them*

Hey, some people other than me know DBZ Abridged here!

Anyway, this brings back the memories of when I was young(er) and stupid and thought DB is the best anime eva. Might be fun for the nostalgia factor - and I mean the beta or free trial of course, one MMO is enough for me. Good that there aren't any Saiyans around anymore (or at least that players can't be them) - it fixes several balance issues, and shows that the creators actually care about continuity.

Raistlin1040
2008-09-21, 12:54 PM
I actually thought GT was alright.

But yeah, DBZ was the most badass anime of my childhood.

I might have to buy this. Even with my total lack of time, AND my WoW subscription, I might have to buy this.

Enlong
2008-09-21, 01:06 PM
*is too lazy to search for info*

Is there a release date or estimated release time or beta or anything you know about?

Well, let's see what wikipedia says...
Oh...
Erm, looks like we'll be waiting a while. The game's in beta in Korea right now, and is scheduled to be released in full there this year. Japan is going to get it sometime in 2009. As for the US, it's confirmed that they're going to release it to the States, but they're estimating 2010.
So we'll be waiting for a while yet. Darn. Well, if it's any good, a year-and-a-half of other countries playing it well tell us, right? So that's good.

Saithis Bladewing
2008-09-21, 01:26 PM
This will be either the best or worst thing ever created by mankind. I can't wait. :smallbiggrin:

Ascension
2008-09-21, 01:40 PM
I might finally get to live out my child adolescenthood dream of being Piccolo.

:smallbiggrin:

Tengu_temp
2008-09-21, 02:23 PM
Yeah, Piccolo was badass. Even after he fell to second league (but that was after Cell Saga and therefore didn't happen).

Enlong
2008-09-21, 02:31 PM
Yeah, Piccolo was badass. Even after he fell to second league (but that was after Cell Saga and therefore didn't happen).

Oh come now. At the very least, the Buu saga was fun because it was fairly obvious self-parody (c'mon, just try to take Buu seriously, I dare you), and because it had Vegeta blow up.

Edit:
But I do agree wholeheartedly that the end of the Cell Saga would've made a far better end to the series, what with Trunks' future being finally saved and the torch being passed to Gohan completely. Not to mention the awesome scenes in that saga like Tien's total ownage of 2nd stage Cell.

13_CBS
2008-09-21, 02:44 PM
And here I must ask something critically important:

Will power levels be over 9000?

Enlong
2008-09-21, 02:55 PM
Oh my. If they aren't I will be sorely disappointed. But I think... yes. Since we can play as martial artists comprable to Krillen and Namekians like Piccolo, yes.
Power levels will be over 9000! *crunch*

Edit:
Oookay, something strange and interesting I just found out.
You will create your characters as children, and over the course of the game, can watch them grow up physically, much like how Goku grew up over the course of DragonBall. Compounding this idea is the "marriage system", which is exactly what it sounds like. Characters can get married, have children, and continue play as their own kids. At first I thought "cute, kinda like how Gohan took up the candle for Goku-" and then I thought "oh god, this is the INTERNET. No-one will be safe."

Cubey
2008-09-21, 03:00 PM
What I wonder about is the Engineer class. They use guns, and what kind of firearms can hurt overpowered DBZ characters?

Of course, technology could go forward during these 200 years...

And no Saiyans = good. From what I grasped from the game, it looks very solidly made. It gives a much better impression than I expected when I heard about its production the first time, some years ago.

Almn
2008-09-21, 03:10 PM
Could we have a link?
{Edit}
Many thanks

Enlong
2008-09-21, 03:32 PM
Ask and ye shall recieve! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonball_Online)

Ascension
2008-09-21, 05:37 PM
and then I thought "oh god, this is the INTERNET. No-one will be safe."

The internet is kind of like absolute power: it corrupts absolutely.

Unfortunately, it's not like absolute power in the making you awesome sense.

That being said, I wonder if they'll allow interracial marriages. I want to play as a Namekian/Majin hybrid! :smallbiggrin:

*The horror! The horror!*

Enlong
2008-09-21, 06:32 PM
That being said, I wonder if they'll allow interracial marriages. I want to play as a Namekian/Majin hybrid! :smallbiggrin:

*The horror! The horror!*

"Special Beam Cannon!"
Then the monster turns into a cookie.... and explodes.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-21, 07:33 PM
Don't Namekians reproduce asexually? I personally think each race will handle the kids element differently.

Enlong
2008-09-21, 07:41 PM
Don't Namekians reproduce asexually? I personally think each race will handle the kids element differently.

Oh... that's right. Come to think of it, yeah, they reproduce by vomiting eggs if I remember correctly. And as for Majin, much like the classes, I have no freaking clue how they'd reproduce. I mean, Buu made Bad Buu show up when he got really super-angry, but that hardly counts.
Wow... I just remembered how screwed up the Dragonball Universe can get when it wants to.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-21, 07:55 PM
I still can't decide whether this is the best or the worst thing I've ever heard.

The marriage system is just going to be creepy. It never works out in a non-creepy fashion. Never.

The child-to-adult system works well, considering the bridge from DB to DBZ. Hopefully it'll be tied to leveling, since I can totally see DBZ as the Epic Levels of a DB game :smallbiggrin:

I am not happy about having Majin though. How are they not going to be overpowered? I'd have preferred Androids myself - more variety, and it will provide credence that Science can be awesome too. And if you think Androids can't have children... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Earthlings_in_Dragon_Ball#Marron) :smallwink:

Enlong
2008-09-21, 08:06 PM
Well, to be fair, these are only the ones that have been announced so far, there may be more. Besides, we at least have the Engineer class to show us that Science is Awesome. Though, I'm not sure how much differently they can make Androids work as opposed to Martial Artists

As for Majin, Idunno. It has been a century and a half, maybe the current Majin species is weaker then the original Buu. We really don't know what evolutionary path brought us a whole race of the things, after all.
Though, maybe I'm biased. I just want to turn dinosaurs into choclolate.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-21, 08:22 PM
Well, to be fair, these are only the ones that have been announced so far, there may be more. Besides, we at least have the Engineer class to show us that Science is Awesome. Though, I'm not sure how much differently they can make Androids work as opposed to Martial Artists

As for Majin, Idunno. It has been a century and a half, maybe the current Majin species is weaker then the original Buu. We really don't know what evolutionary path brought us a whole race of the things, after all.
Though, maybe I'm biased. I just want to turn dinosaurs into choclolate.

Some videos here (http://www.curse.com/articles/details/6559/#comment_334175) if you haven't seen it. It's disturbing that the Strange Majin pictured looks like Sexy Buu :smalleek:

But as for classes/races, I imagine they're going like this:
- Warrior & Martial Artist: Blaster/Tank class; these guys do damage and take hits.
- Spiritualist & Dragon Clan: Healer/Controller class; they do buffs and lock down baddies.
- Engineers are probably a strictly Support class. They don't do a lot of damage, but they can buff and, in all likelihood, craft, better than anyone.

Ascension
2008-09-21, 08:34 PM
Maybe the engineer will be able to build androids at higher levels. You could even let really high-level engineers give themselves android bodies a la Dr. Gero.

Enlong
2008-09-21, 08:39 PM
That sounds like a pretty fair bet for the classes. However, I'm prone to thinking that there'll be a good number of attack options for the Spiritualist. Remember who first introduced us to the Dodompa.
Oh wait, that was Tao. Well, Chiaotzu also had a lot of telekinetic stuff going for him.

It just occured to me that they probably decided on Majin because they wanted all the races to be distinct, so that you can recognize them on sight.

As for the Engineer, I think that crazy awesome support sounds like a safe bet, too. I often forget just how cool the tech in DragonBall really is. I mean, look at Capsule Corp: they made a thing that is essentially hammerspace. And then there's Bulma; she built the friggin' Dragon radar, she made a wristwatch that shrinks people in her off-time, and she built a time-machine. Engineers should definately be awesome.

Edit: Oooh! That'd be real nice. Hey, Engineers could be a sort of strange minion-master, sending in armies of little droids or making androids to do their bidding.
Hey, that got me thinking: was Mercenary Tao a part of Dr. Gero's "Operation: Kill Goku" thingimabober?

Almn
2008-09-25, 05:30 PM
I really hope they have Mr. Popo in the game; for he is my favorite character ever, of all time; except piccolo and krillin and I don't hold out hope for them.:smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-25, 05:39 PM
What is it about DBZ that still grabs my attention?

I mean, seriously, I've grown up (well, at least physically :smalltongue:) and moved on to better animes and yet someone points out DBZ and I still have to take the time and look...

The only thing that stands out is using the Buu as a race. The Buu? Really? I can understand not using the Saiyans, but why then turn around and use the Buu?

Enlong
2008-09-27, 03:45 PM
The only thing that stands out is using the Buu as a race. The Buu? Really? I can understand not using the Saiyans, but why then turn around and use the Buu?
My guess is that they were going for three races that were easily identifiable on sight. And the Majin as a race are certainly more interesting then, say any other alien race besides the Namekians, because with only a few exceptions, they all look like humans with a few things added. Then again, they could've maybe tried to make Freiza's race playable, that would've been interesting... At least with the Majin, we have a race that is easily distinguishable from the others, and comes with a slew of interesting powers that one can build a class around.

And I think it's also a way of making the three races incompatible with each other for the marriage subthingy.
We've got humans, we've got the hermaphroditic Namekians, and we've got he Majin, which probably reproduce asexually for all we know about them.

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 03:47 PM
yeah, I guess that makes sense, to me though it just seems like a wasted opportunity to introduce something new into the DBZ universe.

That and I was under the impression that Majin Buu was a unique creature.

Enlong
2008-09-27, 03:53 PM
yeah, I guess that makes sense, to me though it just seems like a wasted opportunity to introduce something new into the DBZ universe.

That and I was under the impression that Majin Buu was a unique creature.

He was, but this is almost two centuries into the future. Things happen. We really don't know a whole lot about the plot as it is: perhaps the creation of the Majin race is a big deal. Maybe another Wizard (a good version of Babadi's race?) gave Buu the ability to reproduce while toning down his power? Or maybe the Dragon Balls did it. We really don't know.

Hey, I just realized that I used "A Wizard did it" as a completely serious possibility. That's funny.

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 04:03 PM
Hey, I just realized that I used "A Wizard did it" as a completely serious possibility. That's funny.

Well, in the DBZ 'verse...

I suppose it's more a personal thing than anything. I just didn't really care much for Majin Buu as a character or the whole plotline really. I'm with the folk that would rather see something like the androids as a playable race.

Enlong
2008-09-27, 04:05 PM
Well, in the DBZ 'verse...

I suppose it's more a personal thing than anything. I just didn't really care much for Majin Buu as a character or the whole plotline really. I'm with the folk that would rather see something like the androids as a playable race.
True, that would be nice. One ideas is that pehaps top-level Engineers can do something with Androids. Personally, I think I'm going to play as a Namekian.

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 04:38 PM
True, that would be nice. One ideas is that pehaps top-level Engineers can do something with Androids. Personally, I think I'm going to play as a Namekian.

Depends on whether or not they are supposed to be buffers or minion hordes, I suppose. Personally, I think the androids are too good to just leave out of this.

Enlong
2008-09-27, 04:41 PM
Depends on whether or not they are supposed to be buffers or minion hordes, I suppose. Personally, I think the androids are too good to just leave out of this.

We've also suggested that an Engineer might be able to turn themself into an Android, Dr. Gero style, which would be cool.

I think Androids aren't a seperate race because it'd be too easy to mistake them for Humans.

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 04:45 PM
We've also suggested that an Engineer might be able to turn themself into an Android, Dr. Gero style, which would be cool.

ohh...crap...I think I'm drooling...

I think Androids aren't a seperate race because it'd be too easy to mistake them for Humans.

See, that just doesn't fly with me. Yeah it could be a problem at low levels (where the players aren't likely to have high-level equipment or upgrades), but as time goes on it would be hard to mistake that guy whose arm just turned into a freakin' lazer cannon for a human. There are plenty of ways to make androids distinct, make them look more like Cell than #18, for starters. Cell was supposed to be the perfect android, after all.

Enlong
2008-09-27, 04:50 PM
Yeah, you're probably right there.

Cell always bugged me. Was h/s/it really supposed to be an android in the same sense as 16, or even 17 or 18? I mean, he grew in a test-tube, undergoes series of molts, and is specifically shown to be made up of living cells. I think a more proper term for Cell would be "Artificial Life-form" or summat like that, cause he's definately not a robot or modified human.

Another thing that bugs me about Cell is: why Gero plan for it to become perfect after absorbing 17 and 18? Why not design him as perfect from the get-go?

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 04:54 PM
Yeah, you're probably right there.

Cell always bugged me. Was h/s/it really supposed to be an android in the same sense as 16, or even 17 or 18? I mean, he grew in a test-tube, undergoes series of molts, and is specifically shown to be made up of living cells. I think a more proper term for Cell would be "Artificial Life-form" or summat like that, cause he's definately not a robot or modified human.

Another thing that bugs me about Cell is: why Gero plan for it to become perfect after absorbing 17 and 18? Why not design him as perfect from the get-go?

I believe the term is "Plot blindness" :smallbiggrin:

Enlong
2008-09-27, 04:58 PM
True. I mean, he did program his androids while forgetting "do not kill me" clause. Sheesh. For a mad genius, he was pretty friggin' stupid.

KBF
2008-09-27, 11:10 PM
True. I mean, he did program his androids while forgetting "do not kill me" clause. Sheesh. For a mad genius, he was pretty friggin' stupid.

Actually, the androids were really cyborgs, and still very much human. Except for 16, who apparently was an experiment and considered highly volatile. The programming seemed to be more of a... Powerful suggestion, as to what they should do, seeing as both 18 and 16 break their code.

Yea, I'm in the middle of re-watching DBZ.

Enlong
2008-09-28, 11:50 AM
Heh:
Gero: "I suggest that you don't kill me."
17 & 18: "Made our Will Saves."
Gero: "Oh, f-"*BOOM!*