PDA

View Full Version : [4e]: Human Warlord & General Advice

Armoury99
2008-09-21, 05:05 AM
So I'm charging headlong into my first 4e game this week, and looking for some general and specific advice: I'll be playing a human warlord, probably wielding a 2-handed pokey-slashy-type weapon (glaive, halberd, longspear, etc). Any advice on builds? We'll only have a 4 man party, and I'm the main healing guy. Other characters are a dwarf paladin, Eladrin wizard, and elf ranger.

I'm also after any general advice you might have for 4e virgins. We're all experienced gamers but this is the first forray into the new edition for both players and DM. Feelings on it are decidely mixed at present, and so we really want to put the new system and style through its paces.

Suggestions?

Theodoric
2008-09-21, 06:17 AM
Well, since you've already got a healer in your team (well, depending on the paladin's build), you got go for the STr/Int build. If you do so, and manage to get Str. 18, get a Greataxe or Maul, or if you've got the Adventurer's vault, get another high damage +2 proficiency weapon (which is easier as you have an additional feat). If not, get a weapon with a +3 proficiency, as you need a minimum of a +6 bonus to hit, iMHO. Since there are no weapon-specific Warlord powers, and shields aren't that good of an option, go with the most damaging weapons.

Starsinger
2008-09-21, 07:54 AM
Well, since you've already got a healer in your team (well, depending on the paladin's build),

You'll notice that Lay on Hands is usable a maximum of Wisdom Modifier times per day. That's atleast 1, and at most 5. Counting on the Paladin to be the main healer in the party is asking for trouble IMO.

Arbitrarity
2008-09-21, 08:19 AM
And it eats his healing surges, which is not good.

However, a warlord, even as a tactical warlord, is enough of a healer to save the party. Paladin can supplement, and that's about it.

Tactical warlord is generally considered stronger than inspiring warlord, because tactical warlord promotes MOVEMENT. Getting allies into position, out of trouble, and boosting their attack, those are your strengths. As a human, take every at-will but Furious Smash, as low Charisma makes it useless. Encounter power should be either Warlord's Favor, or Leaf on the Wind. Which of the two is dependent on whether you prefer movement, or boosting attack bonuses (Also, how high is your intelligence?). With a reach weapon, I'd prefer Leaf on the Wind, for the flanking and other uses.

For the daily power, I'm split between White Raven Onslaught, and Lead the Attack. Pin the Foe is like Viper's Strike in some ways, bastion of defense is charisma based. Lead the attack, however, is great for taking down solos and elites, while Onslaught is good for manuvering everyone to flank. I'd go with Lead the Attack, however, as all your other powers are pretty much movement.

For a feat, Tactical Assault is pretty awesome, as it lets an ally buff up even more when they need to hit. Action Surge is good for you, because it means when YOU need to hit, you probably can.

Grynning
2008-09-21, 12:07 PM
Been playing an Eladrin tactical warlord for a while now, we recently hit level 3. My advice is all about tactical warlords, if you want to go inspiring, it won't be too much help.

DEFINITELY take Tactical Assault, and when you do, remind your party to spend those action points. They replenish each milestone, and if half the party uses their AP one encounter, then the other half the next, you will really get the most out of your class feature and the feat. It makes encounters much easier if people use their APs.

I've been going sword-and-board mainly because I end up being the back-up defender/off-tank a lot of the time (we have 7 people and only one defender). However, your idea of using a reach weapon is a good one. A glaive or a longspear lets you use a lot of the melee range powers without having to actually get adjacent to the target.

Viper's Strike and Wolf-Pack tactics are your two best at-wills. Commander's Strike may seem like a good plan at first, but I retrained it as soon as we leveled. You should have just as good of a chance to hit as your allies, and Wolf-pack Tactics has a much better overall benefit for the team.

As far as encounter and daily powers go, just go with your instincts, they're all about equal IMO. I use White Raven Tactics for my daily, because I like the idea, although in practice its benefit isn't as powerful as it sounds. Just pick what sounds cool, and remember that if you pick one that doesn't work, you can always retrain it.

Edit: As far as general advice about 4th edition, see my advice on action points above. Same goes for daily powers, don't be too stingy on using them or things will be harder than they need to be. Remember to think of your resources as a PARTY rather than an individual; it's not, "I don't have a daily anymore," it's, "The party will still have 3 dailies, we should be ok if I use mine now because it would really help at this moment."

Other than that, it's a lot like 3rd. It still feels like D&D, don't worry. Once you get used to the skill changes and some of the simplifications to the rules, and using powers instead of feats and spells for everything, it'll be easy as pie.

Oh, and never get surrounded or trapped against a wall if you can help it. That goes for every edition, but especially this one; AoO's and Flanking are still in and they still hurt. Use your Warlord powers to keep escape routes open and attack paths clear.

That's about it, have fun and good luck.

The New Bruceski
2008-09-21, 12:46 PM
And make sure the party remembers your initiative-boosting aura. My mantra when combat starts is "remember you add 3 to the roll."

Armoury99
2008-09-21, 12:56 PM
Thanks all

its_all_ogre
2008-09-21, 02:04 PM
i would disagree with commanders strike.
the dragonborn fighter in our party hits more often than the warlord and, when you add my intelligence bonus on damage, does a lot more damage.
i most often use it on the party rogue if he misses with a sneak attack as, although it is a basic attack, so long as foe is still flanked he can add sneak attack on still.

Grynning
2008-09-21, 02:09 PM
i would disagree with commanders strike.
the dragonborn fighter in our party hits more often than the warlord and, when you add my intelligence bonus on damage, does a lot more damage.
i most often use it on the party rogue if he misses with a sneak attack as, although it is a basic attack, so long as foe is still flanked he can add sneak attack on still.

Well, he's Human, so he'll have all 3. I wasn't saying Commander's Strike was bad, it's just that Wolf-Pack and Viper's are better.

Arros Winhadren
2008-09-21, 06:11 PM
This is good stuff to know, because I'm planning on making a Human Warlord/Wizard for my first 4e game. I'm still stuck on what stats to choose (standard point buy) and where to put my +2. Do I try for two 18s, one 18 and one 16, or two 16s in my Str and Int?

Gralamin
2008-09-21, 06:13 PM
This is good stuff to know, because I'm planning on making a Human Warlord/Wizard for my first 4e game. I'm still stuck on what stats to choose (standard point buy) and where to put my +2. Do I try for two 18s, one 18 and one 16, or two 16s in my Str and Int?

STR 18, INT 16 will tend to be superior, as hitting a lot of the time is more important to the Warlord then giving an ally +1 to hit, or shift another square.