PDA

View Full Version : OOTS shoes

xelliea
2008-09-21, 06:25 AM
how come only some people wear shoes:smallconfused::smallconfused:

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-21, 06:30 AM
This has been asked a while back. Rich supposedly said in the earlier days of the forum that most of the characters wear shoes, but he doesn;t draw them in due to wanting to avoid clutter (I think he typically gives footwear to characters with less distinctive apperances, but I'm not sure how that works).

Trazoi
2008-09-21, 06:43 AM
I haven't read Rich's official reply, but from studying the artwork myself to make avatars it does seem to me to be part of the style to keep the characters simple. It's the characters with simple clothes that get shoes to balance out their visual appeal, like Roy's simple armour paired with boots or Haley's simple leather outfit with shoes. Characters with complex clothes like Elan and V would be too visually "busy" if they also had shoes drawn.

I'm assuming the characters with stick feet do in fact have shoes, it's just they aren't important enough to stand out (Belkar has visible bare feet). It's sort of the same thing as Roy's pants - they aren't actually drawn, but I'm assuming he's wearing some. At least I hope he is! :smallwink:

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-21, 06:48 AM
I'm guessing from the Wight that a lot of non-PC races don't bother with shes either. (I guess it would make sense for Lizardfolk to not bother with footwear due to their scales protecting their feet, but I'm not as sure about Goblinoids.)

Trazoi
2008-09-21, 06:51 AM
I'm guessing from the Wight that a lot of non-PC races don't bother with shes either. (I guess it would make sense for Lizardfolk to not bother with footwear due to their scales protecting their feet, but I'm not as sure about Goblinoids.)
Goblins have "rake feet" with three prongs like OotS hands, so I always assumed they went bare-foot.

Jenx
2008-09-21, 06:56 AM
Another, way more simpler way, to look at it is - If the character has shoes drawn, that means that he/she is wearing some form of boots. Everyone else who don't have them drawn on are simply wearing normal shoes (unless, in the case of lizardfolk and such, they are not needed.)

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-21, 07:00 AM
That makes sense, Jenx. I thought the same thing as well, Trazoi (I just tend to assume that creatures who lack scales or fur would be more likely to wear footwear, so I'm guessing it's a cultural thing for Goblins).

Rad
2008-09-21, 08:15 AM
Another, way more simpler way, to look at it is - If the character has shoes drawn, that means that he/she is wearing some form of boots. Everyone else who don't have them drawn on are simply wearing normal shoes (unless, in the case of lizardfolk and such, they are not needed.)

I would totally see Tsukiko wearing boots

Trazoi
2008-09-21, 07:56 PM
Generally I thought that was the case, but I'm sure I've seen a few non-boot shoes, such as maybe some high heels. But I can't remember where, so it's possible that's just a misconception of mine. And there's Belkar's hairy feet as an exception too. But in general I think you're right, and it's a good rule to follow if you're making avatars.

Jenx
2008-09-22, 01:58 AM
The high heels were shown because they were remarkable. So if there is nothing to point out about the character's feet, they are just drawn straight, and supposedly wear/don't wear shoes (depending on the character). Belkar is remarkable because he's barefoot so he's drawn that way too.

....of course, a simple reply from the Giant would be a lot more helpful, but still.