PDA

View Full Version : GITP Monster Competition XXV Voting Thread (Winner Announced)

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-21, 08:04 AM
Voting For Urban Legends

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/AwakenedDreamer/RandomStuff/UrbanLegend2.jpg (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89675)

The contest has ended and voting begun. See the entries below to vote for your choice.
(Note: As the poll option is still down just post your choice in this thread.)

Like all the GITP Monster Competitions, voting is open to any and all.

Voting will end at Midnight of September 30th.

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

List of City Slickers

Busker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4912673&postcount=6)
Lowfolk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4906483&postcount=5)
Quiet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4930071&postcount=8)
Sialla Danda (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4958830&postcount=11)
Smokey Floater (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4901130&postcount=4)
Spirit of Dullness (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4847700&postcount=3)
The Black Mask (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4929558&postcount=7)
Urban Oasis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4959611&postcount=12)
Weirded Way (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4952674&postcount=10)

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-21, 08:18 AM
Urban Oasis, definitely. It has a dread gazebo all of its own. :smallcool:

Obscurejones
2008-09-21, 09:13 AM
I am using the Black Mask. Therefore my vote goes to it.

The Glyphstone
2008-09-21, 09:15 AM
Urban Oasis. No question at all.

Sir Shadow
2008-09-21, 09:57 AM
oooo tough choice. Urban Oasis or Black Mask...

I think I'll have to go with Urban Oasis, if only because it fits the "Urban" theme of this contest more than Bhu's... at least IMHO...

Lappy9000
2008-09-21, 10:25 AM
I vote for Bisected8's Spirit of Dullness.

However, the Weirded Way and the Black Mask were close seconds.

DracoDei
2008-09-21, 11:34 AM
There was a very unfortunate typo in my Nota Bene at the top of my entry. I have fixed it now, just making sure everyone knows I DO want people to consider voting for me.

CrazyMacGuy
2008-09-21, 12:34 PM
Im in for the Urban Oasis... I already have maniacal druidic ideas of death... :smallbiggrin:

Silence
2008-09-21, 02:21 PM
+1 vote to spirit of dullness.

XenoGeno
2008-09-22, 06:44 AM
Another vote for Spirit of Dullness.

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 01:02 PM
Are we (submitters) allowed casting votes for other entries?

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-22, 01:26 PM
Are we (submitters) allowed casting votes for other entries?
Anyone can vote for any entry, their own or someone else's.

BisectedBrioche
2008-09-22, 03:14 PM
I vote for the Smokey Floater. I really wasn't expecting an elemental. Or at least not a particularly original elemental.

Magnor Criol
2008-09-22, 03:20 PM
Lots of good choices (as always) but I think I'm gonna cast my vote for the lowfolk. I love the flavor of the creature.

The Spirit of Dullness would get a close second vote, if they existed.

Prometheus
2008-09-22, 03:29 PM
The votes so far surprise me - I have a tough time choosing between Busker, Quiet, and Smokey Floater.

I have to go with the Quiet though.

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 11:12 PM
At the risk of my own entry seeing no loving, I'll still cast a vote elsewhere.

Of the remainder, I too will have to go with Spirit of Dullness.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-23, 10:01 AM
I think I'm going to go ahead and vote for my own critter, The Lowfolk.

The Spirit of Dullness and the Urban Oasis were both pretty interesting though. I'd probably have voted for them if I didn't feel like I'd have trouble fitting them into a setting.

Bhu
2008-09-24, 05:23 AM
Tough choice again but Im going for the Lowfolk.

Stycotl
2008-09-24, 12:36 PM
lowfolk.

the wierded way and the spirits of dullness take a close second.

vegetalss4
2008-09-24, 02:17 PM
i vote for lowfolk.

afroakuma
2008-09-24, 04:23 PM
Wow...close race so far.

KevLar
2008-09-25, 08:17 AM
Some very good entries there, but I fell in love with the Lowfolk. One vote there.

afroakuma
2008-09-26, 05:25 PM
Wow... this slipped down to the second page at one point.

Four days left, everyone, get your votes in!

Debihuman
2008-09-28, 08:38 AM
This is the first time I've had a chance to get in on looking at a contest before voting ended. It was a pleasure to read all the entries.

My vote goes to Weirded Way.

If I may be so bold, I'd like to comment on the other entries:

The Spirit of Dullness thoroughly conveys the apathy that can affect urban areas. Unfortunately, it was missing its skills and feats sections. Even if they don't have any, leaving such things out looks like a mistake. Otherwise, it was really well done.

Smokey Floaters were well done, but they aren't necessarily urban specific. Furthermore, they didn't exactly follow the format.

Lowfolk were very good. Again they conveyed the feel of city urban blight. Format was a little off. For a 6 HD monster, making them CR 7 is asking for trouble. I see too many fey with so many special abilities that they are overshadowed by them. It's a bias that I have admittedly, but this isn't the only fey with that issue.

Buskers were also very well done. I have a special fondness for dark carnivals. Unfortunately, they aren't simply confined to urban areas. They could be at country fairs or traveling circuses...

The Black mask was very interesting. I loved the backstory. The problem I had was giving immortality to a 20 HD monster. That should be reserved for epic creatures of 21 HD or more. Otherwise, this would have gotten my vote.

Quiet was good but the feat Improved Grapple has a prerequisite and that wasn't listed. Minor typo on stat block on AC but that's forgivable. This is a solid monster with fitting abilities.

Spontaneous combustion was unfinished. I kept having the feeling that it should have been an elemental rather than an undead creature. Still, it has potential so don't give up on it.

Weirded way was a nifty idea. I didn't see any statblock errors. It's shortcut and tourist trap abilities certainly make it memorable. It is perfectly suited to an urban environment.

Sialla Danda were interesting. They have a racial bonus to Knowledge (local) but it doesn't say how much. I'm guessing it's only the +2 synergy bonus but it was never spelled out. Again, the number of special abilities should be balanced against HD. Again, it's my own personal bias but I notice that it happens more with fey creatures than with any other type.

Urban Oasis made me chuckle—just don't let anyone named Eric near it. My only question: does it have slam attacks or tendril attacks?

Debby

Jangoose
2008-09-28, 11:12 AM
my vote goes to the black mask

The Demented One
2008-09-28, 11:20 AM
I'll give a vote to the Weirded Way.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-29, 12:45 PM
Buskers were also very well done. I have a special fondness for dark carnivals. Unfortunately, they aren't simply confined to urban areas. They could be at country fairs or traveling circuses...
I think they fit alright as carnivals is basically an urban area that moves around.

The Black mask was very interesting. I loved the backstory. The problem I had was giving immortality to a 20 HD monster. That should be reserved for epic creatures of 21 HD or more. Otherwise, this would have gotten my vote.
Thought I might note that ghosts are only LA +5 and they're just as immortal.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-29, 03:42 PM
I wanted to comment on some stuff here but I'm spoilering it so that folks that haven't yet voted don't have their votes prejudiced.

Format was a little off. For a 6 HD monster, making them CR 7 is asking for trouble. I see too many fey with so many special abilities that they are overshadowed by them. It's a bias that I have admittedly, but this isn't the only fey with that issue.

Not sure where my formatting was messed up. I used the same format as the SRD as far as I know. Regarding the CR, that's fair enough. I assume though that you think Nymphs are also too high a CR? I purposefully pegged the power of the lowfolk to pretty close to that of a nymph, since they meant to be their urban counterparts.

I'd agree with VT here. Carnivals and county fairs basically create an artificial and temporary urban setting. I can't really see a Busker functioning well as a solitary wandering bard. Buskers are really cool though. They're another one I strongy considered passing up my own critter to vote for.

Thought I might note that ghosts are only LA +5 and they're just as immortal.

As are Liches (+4 LA meaning minimum ECL15) and Vampires (+8 but minimum ECL13 because of lower requirements). That's just core too. There are a goodly number of other less than epic immortal undead and outsiders outside of core. Necropolitans spring to mind.

Vaynor
2008-09-29, 07:38 PM
Reponse to comments...

Buskers are street performers, not clowns specifically. I don't think you'll find a street performer outside of an urban environment...

I'd agree with VT here. Carnivals and county fairs basically create an artificial and temporary urban setting. I can't really see a Busker functioning well as a solitary wandering bard. Buskers are really cool though. They're another one I strongy considered passing up my own critter to vote for.

Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: By the way, I vote for my own little monster, the Busker. I think it deserves at least one vote... :smallfrown:

afroakuma
2008-09-29, 08:02 PM
By the way, I vote for my own little monster, the Busker. I think it deserves at least one vote...
Today 05:42 PM

Now see, I should have done the same. I didn't even get honorable mention! :smalltongue:

My own fault though; bad format and all. "Cast spells as 7th level sorcerers" indeed.

DracoDei
2008-09-30, 05:35 PM
Well, my four finalists were Spirit of Dullness, Lowfolk, The Black Mask, and Quiet....

I am going to go with the Lowfolk on a gut reaction.

Poru93
2008-09-30, 06:17 PM
I'd have to say the Spirit of Dullness. For me it was more about the idea... to have spirits created out of people who lived average lives is cool in my opinion.

adanedhel9
2008-09-30, 09:45 PM
Hmm. I'm going with the Quiet.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-10-01, 11:35 AM
And voting has come to a close.

AKA_Bait wins this month's contest with his humble creation, the Lowfolk!

Adanedhel9's Weirded Way takes the VT's Choice Award.

Congrats!

Stycotl
2008-10-02, 12:19 AM
good job, guys. a lot of cool entries this month.

Debihuman
2008-10-02, 12:27 PM
Not sure where my formatting was messed up. I used the same format as the SRD as far as I know. Regarding the CR, that's fair enough. I assume though that you think Nymphs are also too high a CR? I purposefully pegged the power of the lowfolk to pretty close to that of a nymph, since they meant to be their urban counterparts.

Minor things like not spelling out words like Initiative, Armor Class, and using colons properly. Init: vs. Initiative:, BAB +3; Grp +3 vs. BAB/Grapple: +3/+3 that's what I mean. It's minor stuff really but it detracts.

I didn't say that the Nymph's CR was wrong, I was giving my reason why I didn't vote for lowfolk. Nymph has high CR because she has can cause permanent blindness, but I don't think it it equates to an hour of crushing despair. Now if she caused permanent crushing despair, I might have thought differently.

I think I could see a busker less as a wandering bard but more along the lines of a snake-oil salesman with his song and dance to cover-up what he's really doing. Or as a traveling preacher using (oratory) as a performance while he sucks his audience dry. That's why I didn't find it confining to an urban area.

From Vorpal Tribble: Thought I might note that ghosts are only LA +5 and they're just as immortal.

from AKA-Bait: As are Liches (+4 LA meaning minimum ECL15) and Vampires (+8 but minimum ECL13 because of lower requirements). That's just core too. There are a goodly number of other less than epic immortal undead and outsiders outside of core. Necropolitans spring to mind.

While ghosts, vampires and liches are "immortal" in that it requires special circumstances to permanently kill them, they can still be killed by a mortal

Conversely, the Black Mask can only be defeated by a being with Divine Rank which means mortal creatures cannot do this. Mortal beings, even epic PCs, do not have divine ranks.

So no, they aren't immortal in the way this critter is.

Using this in game is more difficult because it pretty much guarantees that either one of the PCs will gain Divine Rank via Deus Ex Machina or that they will have to find another being of Divine Rank to do this for them. The first is railroading the DM and the second is far less fun for the PCs. The third choice is a widget hunt for all the family members to die in some way doesn't violate the PC's alignment. Rampant homicide probably isn't the answer but as a GM, this creature really can throw a kink out there. I suspect it makes for a better story than it does an actual game element.

Debby

Vaynor
2008-10-02, 06:23 PM
I think I could see a busker less as a wandering bard but more along the lines of a snake-oil salesman with his song and dance to cover-up what he's really doing. Or as a traveling preacher using (oratory) as a performance while he sucks his audience dry. That's why I didn't find it confining to an urban area.

Buskers transform into any form of street performer, such as the examples given in the entry. Street performer tends to require a street, which I doubt you'd find outside of an urban environment.