PDA

View Full Version : an idea

medinabard
2005-11-22, 12:13 PM
in my school the comics then selves are blocked, but not the rest of the site. The idea is if the comics themselves could be emailed out to those who subscribe. plus the ability to check any comic.
---------
i dont have internet at home it is hard for me to keep up

FlashFire
2005-11-22, 04:04 PM
Hm... I dunno... I don't work here or anything but it sounds like a lot of work. Although an OOTS mailing list would be cool... I think it's just one more project that Rich would end up being in charge of.

Same thing happened to me when I was serving in Korea, I couldn't view the comics but I had access to the forums. :-/ Wish I could help you... have you tried asking a friend from school to e-mail them to you?

The Prince of Cats
2005-11-22, 05:56 PM
Reminds me of a games-forum I once developed for. The trick to getting around 90% of the site-filters (including a US-military one) was to rename a file called game.php to thread.php and suddenly the site was off their radars.

Not that it is always that easy but some of the filters are somewhat easy to dodge.

Grey Watcher
2005-11-22, 07:28 PM
Red Watcher: This looks like a job for....

BOARD ISSUES!

Sped55
2005-11-22, 09:14 PM
yah, Its just another thing Rich has to do. It would be cool, but I still like the strips online :-/

HempRope
2005-11-22, 09:24 PM
In another thread somewhere in this forum, someone once requested that the comic be linked into some sort of program (I forget what... an RSS feed? no, not an RSS feed) that compiled a bunch of different webcomics for easy viewing. His answer to that was that he would not do it because to comic is a means for promoting himself as a game designer, and if people do not have to come to the site to read the comics, then they won't be hearing about him as a game designer, merely as a webcomic artist.

Zherog
2005-11-22, 09:31 PM
Reminds me of a games-forum I once developed for. The trick to getting around 90% of the site-filters (including a US-military one) was to rename a file called game.php to thread.php and suddenly the site was off their radars.

Not that it is always that easy but some of the filters are somewhat easy to dodge.

That's something that has to be done at the website though, right? It's not something somebody attempting to browse the site could do on their own...

* the guy who has the whole site (forums and all) blocked at work asks with his fingers crossed *

The Prince of Cats
2005-11-23, 05:33 AM
That's something that has to be done at the website though, right?
Sadly, yes. I was lead programmer, so I just changed it over, but it requires people choosing to do so.

Like so many things, you can ask but...

The_Beast_Rabban
2005-11-23, 05:58 AM
I have a filter on my internet access at work. Weirdly it lets me onto this site and view all of it.

I do have trouble seeing some of the avatar pics though (like El Jaspero and Rawhide) which can get quite annoying in the silly games section. I assume this is because the image hosting sites they have chosen are blocked.

In general filters are there for a reason but tend to act a little draconian by blocking anything and everything that vaguely fits the parameters even if it is just part of a name (I couldn't view a recipe because it was for GAME pie and games are banned by the filter!!!).

V-----Our filter classes http://www.users.on.net as Web-hosting and blocks it (similarly blocks web-based e-mail) :(

Rawhide
2005-11-23, 06:53 AM
Odd that it should block my avatar. It is hosted by an actual commercial ISP/webhost.

RawBearNYC
2005-11-23, 10:50 AM
hrmf...I tried to create an alternate name for the comic script, but the server doesn't like it. Maybe I'll go and play with it later.

The_Beast_Rabban
2005-11-23, 11:20 AM
Odd that it should block my avatar. It is hosted by an actual commercial ISP/webhost.

The really weird thing is I can view your avatar Google images!!! Apparently our filter doesn't work through Google.

This could be a temporary solution to the original problem of not being able to view the comics directly if you know enough info.

This works by putting oots+4 figure comic number (ie oots0001). Not for all the strips though? Although you may be able to use the "Next" button to scroll through them.