PDA

View Full Version : Oh... my.... god....

krossbow
2008-09-21, 12:39 PM
Something about kubota's last lines just didn't click with me yesterday.

I just kept getting the feeling that i was missing something; his lines were a bit smug, and something about his words seemed suspect...

Then it hit me.

He said "Last dose" in regards to his lotus poison. Why would it be his "last" dose if he only poisoned one person? Wouldn't it just be his "dose" singular? furthermore, drinking the anti-toxin ahead of time, but complaining about his last dose of it?

Lotus extract is a contact poison, and virtually undetectable. It could be put on anything and then left alone till the unsuspecting victim touches it.

It could be a doorknob, an apple, anything. Kubota didn't just apply it to his ring, he put it on something else there at the boat while off-screen. This means that the Katos could still be in GRAVE GRAVE danger.

hamishspence
2008-09-21, 12:44 PM
Yikes.

Now this theory is an interesting one: what opportunity did he have, and what is he likely to poison? Remember in D&D antitoxin isn't that good, might make more sense if it was something that grants one immunity to poison for a short time.

RMS Oceanic
2008-09-21, 12:48 PM
:smalleek:

It's either that, or maybe he offed some other Nobles who aren't quite as ambitious as him, as part of the larger plan.

Porthos
2008-09-21, 12:50 PM
I'm sure Kubota is referring to the events of this comic. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0435.html) But time will tell, I suppose.

King of Nowhere
2008-09-21, 03:40 PM
I tought he used the other doses on other people ww don't know about. And he took the antitoxin because, when he put on the ring with his hands under his back, he could have wounded himself accidentally, or maybe Elan could have poisoned him with his ring and a succesful grapple check.

David Argall
2008-09-21, 04:20 PM
He said "Last dose" in regards to his lotus poison. Why would it be his "last" dose if he only poisoned one person? Wouldn't it just be his "dose" singular? furthermore, drinking the anti-toxin ahead of time, but complaining about his last dose of it?
As suggested, it is likely the "last" refers to doses used at distinctily earlier times. He is quite possibly cut off from his normal supplies and would have had a very limited supply on his ship. So it is routine English to say "last dose" when one has only had one dose for a substantial period.

Lotus extract is a contact poison, and virtually undetectable. It could be put on anything and then left alone till the unsuspecting victim touches it.

It could be a doorknob, an apple, anything. Kubota didn't just apply it to his ring, he put it on something else there at the boat while off-screen. This means that the Katos could still be in GRAVE GRAVE danger.
The Katos are likely in very little danger. All of Kubota's plans involved them dying immediately [or he should have never gotten involved himself]. So any additional dose is not where the Katos are likely to encounter it.
Now a backup to kill Hinjo is not unreasonable. If he knew there was something that Hinjo alone touched, he could poison it and be sure of getting the right target instead of some maid or cook. So while the ninjas were supposed to be eliminating the Katos, he poisons a crown or something and then comes onstage.
However, what does this do for the plot? We have Hinjo just suddenly die? Doesn't seem like a useful development.
Now we could do this as pure comedy. Hinjo almost touches it. Elan almost touches it, V almost touches it... And Kubota finds himself about to touch it... But this requires we be shown that it was poisoned. It can't happen without our knowledge. So until we are told it happened, assume it didn't.

Skikka
2008-09-23, 10:12 AM
... And he took the antitoxin because, when he put on the ring with his hands under his back, he could have wounded himself accidentally, or maybe Elan could have poisoned him with his ring and a succesful grapple check.

I think this is just another example of Kubota being Dangerously Genre-Savvy. The typical way to coerce a poisoning villain into giving up the location of the antidote is to poison them, too. Kubota knows this, and using an antidote that works if taken in advance avoids that possibility.