PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Help with multiclass

Arakune
2008-09-21, 02:23 PM
Okay, is there a way to put swordmage in this build? I doesn't need to be the most optimal thing, but it need to be doable:

Wizard 8

Str 10, Con 11, Dex 13, Int 21, Wis 16, Cha12

Implement: orb

Feats: Improved Initiative, Linguist, Action Surge, Jack of all Trades, Skill Focus: Arcana, ?????.

The ???? feat maybe I can talk the DM to swap it now.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-21, 02:29 PM
As long as you don't use the powers that use Con or Str, this build would make a good swordmage. If you want a swordmage paragon path, wandering swordmage makes heavy use of Wis.

Arakune
2008-09-21, 03:04 PM
I was aware of that, but one of the main power requires the ability to mark and the multiclass feat doesn't give that power.

Grynning
2008-09-21, 03:06 PM
I was aware of that, but one of the main power requires the ability to mark and the multiclass feat doesn't give that power.

A lot of PP's have that problem, they don't require a class feature but they're worthless if you don't have it (see almost every Warlock PP). I'm going to MC Swordmage on my Warlord, but I won't get any use from a Swordmage PP since I won't have Aegis of Assault or Shielding.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-21, 03:47 PM
Maybe a houserule is in order to remedy this. Perhaps additional feats pumped into a class can give one access to more of their class features (some class features are on par with one or two feats put together). This would allow one to eventually get all of the features of two classes, but be behind on feats etc. Would this even out?

Grynning
2008-09-21, 03:58 PM
Maybe a houserule is in order to remedy this. Perhaps additional feats pumped into a class can give one access to more of their class features (some class features are on par with one or two feats put together). This would allow one to eventually get all of the features of two classes, but be behind on feats etc. Would this even out?

Here's how the first multi-classing feat should work, IMO: You become trained in one skill from the relevant class list, and gain one class feature from the class. Done.

Some may argue that it would be too easy to abuse that way, but hey, we're house-ruling anyways, work it out with your DM.

I really wish they had done a better job with multi-classing in general. Making it feat based was a good idea, but it's just so clunky...there's a big disparity in how useful it is to MC into various classes.

1of3
2008-09-21, 06:11 PM
I'd go for Spiral Tower, if you like the Swordmage. That way you can profit from your Swordmage Warding completely.

Also take the Power Swap to take Swordmage Utility 6: Fate-Spurned Foe. That's hell with an Orb Wizard.

Starsinger
2008-09-21, 07:19 PM
Spiral tower's a good solution, although I'd take Multiclass Swordmage and definitely grab Intelligent Swordmaster afterwords. Int to basic attacks with the longsword that'll be your implement anyways? Yes please.

Colmarr
2008-09-21, 09:11 PM
Spiral tower's a good solution, although I'd take Multiclass Swordmage and definitely grab Intelligent Swordmaster afterwords. Int to basic attacks with the longsword that'll be your implement anyways? Yes please.

Hopefully this won't de-rail the thread, but my first thought upon reading Intelligent Swordmaster was "Would it be imbalanced to create a similar feat for Cha Paladins (ie. Cha to basic attacks instead of Str)?"

It's not as necessary (because Paladins don't have an Aegis of Assault analogue), but I'm more interested in the balance issue. It'd certainly make it easier to build a viable Cha-paladin. Having garbage OAs really hurts a defender build...

Charity
2008-09-22, 02:09 AM
Thats what heavy blade opportunity is good for... yes you need 15, and yes it is paragon tier.

Colmarr
2008-09-22, 02:26 AM
I'm aware of HBO. It doesn't answer my question. Thanks, though.