PDA

View Full Version : gnomes or halfings?

ridly
2008-09-21, 05:17 PM
i like both the same but, i want to know witch you think is better.

What i say is each have its own ups and down.

halfing
pros:
are sneaky
plus in dex
cons:
nines in str.

gnome
pros:
have spell like abilities
plus in con
cons:
nines in str.

ps. i did not have the book on me at the so my info may not be right.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-21, 05:20 PM
Kobolds.

After all, they're lawful, so they probably listen to the rules of grammar and spelling.

mostlyharmful
2008-09-21, 05:22 PM
Gnomes. That is all.:smallsmile:

ridly
2008-09-21, 05:25 PM
yah. i do like kolbalds but my dm never lets me play as them because they're evil.

MeklorIlavator
2008-09-21, 05:27 PM
Too many variables. In terms of classes, halflings are better rogues(unless you count whisper gnomes) and gnomes are better wizards. Both have melee potential with splatbooks, though the halfling is easier to realize(halfling outrider PRC). Just considering the races in isolation(which serves no purpose, but its the only thing we can do with this setup), I'd say the halfling is better dues to racial abilities that are useful more often.

Oh, and you can find most core information in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/)

Ascension
2008-09-21, 05:42 PM
Whisper Gnomes and/or Strongheart Halflings. The regular ol' Gnomes and Halflings can't compare.

RebelRogue
2008-09-21, 05:44 PM
Halfling Outrider is awesome. I played a Devoted Tracker (Paladin/Ranger muliclass) that wanted to take levels in it, but the campaign ended prematurely. One day I'd like to play a Gnome Giantslayer, btw.

Epinephrine
2008-09-21, 05:46 PM
Gnomes. I love gnomes.

Spiryt
2008-09-21, 05:50 PM
Duh, Strongheart halfling (the one with bonus feat, yeah?) are freaking broken.

Of course, not game breaking broken, but ridiculously good for many classes :smallyuk:

Starbuck_II
2008-09-21, 06:00 PM
i like both the same but, i want to know witch you think is better.

What i say is each have its own ups and down.

halfing
pros:
are sneaky
plus in dex
cons:
nines in str.

gnome
pros:
have spell like abilities
plus in con
cons:
nines in str.

ps. i did not have the book on me at the so my info may not be right.

Halfings are Sexy.

Gnomes are dirty.

You can tell which ones I think is better, right?

Leon
2008-09-21, 06:46 PM
Halfling all the way (unless you have the option to play the only True Gnome - A Whisper Gnome)

Collin152
2008-09-21, 06:53 PM
Gnomes.
No doubt or question.

They just get bad PR.

LibraryOgre
2008-09-21, 06:56 PM
Halfling all the way (unless you have the option to play the only True Gnome - A Whisper Gnome)

Right. Because the only true gnome is a half-breed halfling.

Hairb
2008-09-21, 06:57 PM
I prefer diction elves.

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-21, 07:04 PM
Yeah. I do like kobalds but my dm never lets me play as them because they're evil.

Not so. Kobolds are usually lawfull evil. It wouldn't be a suprise if there was Chaotic good kobolds running around. I belive the "usually" part means that the somewhere around 50% are that alignemnt, but it's fairly common to see exceptions.

Ascension
2008-09-21, 07:24 PM
It wouldn't be a suprise if there was Chaotic good kobolds running around.

Oh, that's it, I'm so totally playing an angsty Kobold ranger who dual-wields scimitars one of these days.

ColonelFuster
2008-09-21, 07:32 PM
It's hard for me to decide on this one; halflings are darker than gnomes, but I do like the playful aspect of gnome psychology... halfling are the butt of racial stereotyping while gnomes are construed not to be serious... plus, Paladin and Rogue are my two favorite classes, and they each do exceptional in those respective roles (if Dire Badger mounts are allowed.)

erikun
2008-09-21, 07:40 PM
Duh, Strongheart halfling (the one with bonus feat, yeah?) are freaking broken.
Um, you know that you give up your +1 to all saves for that, right? It's like your playing a small human.

Anyways, like others have said, each race has it's own bonuses. Halflings hit better with ranged attacks, while Gnomes survive easier. Halfings can multiclass for some Evasion/Sneak Attack, while Gnomes can multiclass for ranks in Use Magic Device. Whisper Gnomes are small but don't suffer a movement penality, while Strongheart Halflings get... the Human bonus feat? Alright then...

Anyways, either can work. I prefer Gnomes myself, because you never really know what they're thinking. :smallcool:

Ascension
2008-09-21, 07:43 PM
I try to play my gnomes seriously. It's a bit hard, though, with any small race. It generally takes a good bit of angst and/or determination in order to balance out the "Aww, look at the cute little guy" factor.

Chronos
2008-09-21, 08:01 PM
Um, you know that you give up your +1 to all saves for that, right? It's like your playing a small human.Right, so you get the biggest advantage to being human, plus you also get small size and trade a useless ability score for a useful one, as bonuses. That sounds like a pretty good deal, to me.

And there's no reason gnomes should have an "aw, cute" factor. Think of them as dwarves, but with better senses of humor and cooler toys.

Prometheus
2008-09-21, 08:02 PM
Gnomes definitely.

The fact that gnomes have an ambiguous role in the world make them all that more versatile and dynamic. They fit all of them. Inventor. Prankster. Merchant. Nature-lover.

Halflings get two options: Fat & Happy or Skinny & Happy.

(Also, are people seriously answering this based on mechanics? Seriously?)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-21, 08:18 PM
Gnomes definitely.

The fact that gnomes have an ambiguous role in the world make them all that more versatile and dynamic. They fit all of them. Inventor. Prankster. Merchant. Nature-lover.

Halflings get two options: Fat & Happy or Skinny & Happy.

(Also, are people seriously answering this based on mechanics? Seriously?)Why do you think I went with Kobolds? They're swarms of clever boops who have massive disadvantages and still manage to be overpowered.

Recaiden
2008-09-21, 08:24 PM
Oh, that's it, I'm so totally playing an angsty Kobold ranger who dual-wields scimitars one of these days.
Who has a dire weasel instead of a panther.

Gnomes invent things, and halflings do everything else better. Halflings definitely come in second, after kobolds.

sonofzeal
2008-09-21, 08:45 PM
I'm playing a Strongheart Halfling right now, and loving it. The RP for him is.... well, there's quite a bit of "Gollum" in him. He's sniveldy, submissive, but also surprisingly capable when necessary. Good fun.

In general, my Halflings are homeless outcasts, usually because their homeland was destroyed by cataclysm or war... or because they never had one. Either way, they tend to be a scattered and oppressed people, with few places of refuge. At best they're brave survivors striving to restore their people, at worst they're desperate or apathetic loners who've ceased to care and just do whatever it takes to get by. This explains why they often resort to theft and general roguery to support themselves, but also gives them a hint of desperation and melancholy that, to me, makes them a more interesting species.

Gnomes are interesting too. My Gnomes are a little like the Halflings, except instead of having their homelands crushed, they went "underground" (more figuratively than literally, but a bit of both). Where Halflings are the fugitives, Gnomes are the resisters, using their whits and illusions and anything else at hand to undermine the invaders and, on the whole, do a pretty good job of it. My Gnomes are master pragmatists and tacticians, who will use nature, arcane magic (usually illusions), and technology with equal willingness and aptitude.

To use a WWII analogy, Halflings are gypsies while Gnomes are french. To round out the list, Dwarves would be British (entire nation under heavy attack, bit of a siege mentality going on), Human might be the rest of the Commonwealth (engaged, but not on the front lines), and the Elves are.... well, there's no perfect real-world parallel, and not to start a history debate, but possibly they'd be the USA prior to Pearl Harbor (they know it's going on, but are insulated by geography and politics, and for the most part couldn't give a flying patootie).

Now, stretch that out over a few hundred years, ramp the speed of physical and psychological evolution up tenfold, and that's my view of how the D&D races got to be the way they are.

Corollary: I guess that'd make modern Canada full of half-elves? o.0

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-21, 08:47 PM
I'm playing a Strongheart Halfling right now, and loving it. The RP for him is.... well, there's quite a bit of "Gollum" in him. He's sniveldy, submissive, but also surprisingly capable when necessary. Good fun.

In general, my Halflings are homeless outcasts, usually because their homeland was destroyed by cataclysm or war... or because they never had one. Either way, they tend to be a scattered and oppressed people, with few places of refuge. At best they're brave survivors striving to restore their people, at worst they're desperate or apathetic loners who've ceased to care and just do whatever it takes to get by. This explains why they often resort to theft and general roguery to support themselves, but also gives them a hint of desperation and melancholy that, to me, makes them a more interesting species.

Gnomes are interesting too. My Gnomes are a little like the Halflings, except instead of having their homelands crushed, they went "underground" (more figuratively than literally, but a bit of both). Where Halflings are the fugitives, Gnomes are the resisters, using their whits and illusions and anything else at hand to undermine the invaders and, on the whole, do a pretty good job of it. My Gnomes are master pragmatists and tacticians, who will use nature, arcane magic (usually illusions), and technology with equal willingness and aptitude.

To use a WWII analogy, Halflings are gypsies while Gnomes are french. To round out the list, Dwarves would be British (entire nation under heavy attack, bit of a siege mentality going on), Human might be the rest of the Commonwealth (engaged, but not on the front lines), and the Elves are.... well, there's no perfect real-world parallel, and not to start a history debate, but possibly they'd be the USA prior to Pearl Harbor (they know it's going on, but are insulated by geography and politics, and for the most part couldn't give a flying patootie).

Now, stretch that out over a few hundred years, ramp the speed of physical and psychological evolution up tenfold, and that's my view of how the D&D races got to be the way they are.

Corollary: I guess that'd make modern Canada full of half-elves? o.0So are the Kobolds Russia? Or are they one of the South Asian nations?

sonofzeal
2008-09-21, 09:04 PM
So are the Kobolds Russia? Or are they one of the South Asian nations?
I'm leaning towards South Asia; they get thoroughly pwned but wind up being technological leaders in some areas.

Goblins could be the miscellanious continental europeans, since they exist purely to get pwned repeatedly by whichever side is currently rumbling through. Hobgoblins could be either Germany or Russia... or Japan, really. That leaves Orcs as either Africa or South America, and Gnolls as whichever ones Orcs don't take.

Or we could just abandon this whole analogy before we offend anyone, but that wouldn't be any fun now would it? =P

Deepblue706
2008-09-21, 09:31 PM
Having played EverQuest, I now associate all Halflings with the Hamburglar.

Therefore, I'm with the Gnomes.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-21, 09:37 PM
How do you want to role-play it?

If you want to go more for sneaky, nomadic, tricky, very-mildly-evil type, then go for halfling.

If you want to go more tinkering, playing, light-hearted goofball type, go for the gnome.

If you don't care... Then roll a d2.

Thurbane
2008-09-21, 09:39 PM
I've never played either - I really don't like the little people.

Conversely, I'm a total dwarf fanboy. :smallbiggrin:

Kaihaku
2008-09-21, 10:14 PM
In regards to Crunch, I'd say Gnomes...

Personally though, I don't like the 'feel' of Gnomes so I've never played one while I've found Halflings a lot more open to different character styles. That and the names.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-21, 10:17 PM
Say, speaking of gnomes, does anyone know what book their full informational thingy is in? I mean, like the Halfling and Elf (and Raptoren, and Catfolk, I guess) are in Races of the Wild. Like that, only for gnomes.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-21, 10:20 PM
Races of Stone. The most overpowered of all the Races book, IMHO.

Swok
2008-09-21, 10:25 PM
To be fair, there are a few things in Races of Stone that are utter crap. But then, that's true of all the Races/Completes. Though it is funny to see the Chaos Gnome and Whisper Gnome in the same chapter, if only for the LA discrepancy.

I'm inclined to say Gnomes, but Halflings get cool fluff toys also. Like dinosaur mounts in Eberron. So I'm down for the flip a coin method.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-21, 10:27 PM
To be fair, there are a few things in Races of Stone that are utter crap. But then, that's true of all the Races/Completes. Though it is funny to see the Chaos Gnome and Whisper Gnome in the same chapter, if only for the LA discrepancy.

I'm inclined to say Gnomes, but Halflings get cool fluff toys also. Like dinosaur mounts in Eberron. So I'm down for the flip a coin method.It always struck me as odd that the Kobolds, with their love of Dragons, didn't get reptilian mounts. Though my group has declared the idea of Dire Weasel rides awesome.

Ascension
2008-09-21, 10:31 PM
I like Races of Stone. Whisper Gnome's really the only thing in there that's majorly powerful.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-21, 10:31 PM
Races of Stone. The most overpowered of all the Races book, IMHO.

Stone? I can understand the dwarves (Dwarves are in there, right?), and even those... (What did he call them....) Goliath... I think? But how do Gnomes make sense for "of stone"?

Swok
2008-09-21, 10:32 PM
Stone? I can understand the dwarves (Dwarves are in there, right?), and even those... (What did he call them....) Goliath... I think? But how do Gnomes make sense for "of stone"?

Gnomes are in there because of the propensity of living sort of underground, and for being "cousins" of Dwarves.

Chronos
2008-09-21, 10:33 PM
Oh, and to answer the original question (partly, at least), my two favorite characters were Bolfo Highburrow, a LN halfling professional treasure hunter (he refused to wear the title "thief", since he only ever worked legitimately), and a Gojü, a CG gnome cleric/thief, who couldn't understand how other clerics could splatter someone's brains with a morningstar, but then get all squeamish about a nice clean knife through the ribs.

I can't really pick between the two of them, so I likewise can't really pick between the races.

Sstoopidtallkid
I like Races of Stone. Whisper Gnome's really the only thing in there that's majorly powerful.Shadowcraft Mage.

Kaihaku
It always struck me as odd that the Kobolds, with their love of Dragons, didn't get reptilian mounts. Though my group has declared the idea of Dire Weasel rides awesome.

That's probably because Kobolds are of low enough stature that they'd be the reptilian mounts if they were better build for it.

LibraryOgre
2008-09-21, 11:33 PM
To be fair, there are a few things in Races of Stone that are utter crap.

You mean like Garl have a mirror-image brother who competes with him for the loves of a gnome goddess.

grrrrr... that annoyed the heck out of me.

BobVosh
2008-09-22, 12:32 AM
If it is PHB only...Halflings all the way.
Non setting...Whisper Gnomes
All...Stronghearted halfings.

However I almost always try to play my halflings as Dark Sun halflings...midget cannibals are perfect for every setting.

Teron
2008-09-22, 12:46 AM
I can tell most of you haven't played much Eberron, because you're not bloody scared of gnomes (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20041129a). Once you learn that their hobbies are espionage, manipulation and blackmail, all covered up with pleasantries, dull day jobs and illusions, you'll never look at the little buggers the same way. Just try keeping secrets from people who can question the rats... *shudder*

BobVosh
2008-09-22, 01:04 AM
I can tell most of you haven't played much Eberron, because you're not bloody scared of gnomes (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20041129a). Once you learn that their hobbies are espionage, manipulation and blackmail, all covered up with pleasantries, dull day jobs and illusions, you'll never look at the little buggers the same way. Just try keeping secrets from people who can question the rats... *shudder*

Zil Gnomes are awesome, but they have nothing on DS halflings.