PDA

View Full Version : Scion: Hero - and good?

erikun
2008-09-21, 07:48 PM
So, I've been looking at the three books (Scion: Hero, Scion: Demi-God, and Scion: God) in the bookstore lately, and I have to ask: are the books worth picking up? I hear people talking about Vampire/Werewolf/Mage and Exaulted, but never anything about Scion. How well does the system run?

Ascension
2008-09-21, 08:29 PM
I can't answer about the running, since I haven't actually had a chance to play it, but I've got the Hero book and I can say the concept and the fluff are excellent. I think the mechanics look good, but I can't say for sure.

I'm keeping an eye on the PbP Forum here, though. A game's got to pop up eventually.

Arakune
2008-09-22, 08:23 AM
I liked, the combat mechanics are more cinematic, and generally I like the WW system, but the mechanics of the boons and purviews can be complicated if you don't pay attention.

Just don't think this is D&D and you can throw a BBEG alone against a group. It's either a TPK or an easy kill for the party. It takes much more skill for the narrator to make things work.

potatocubed
2008-09-22, 08:46 AM
I only ever read Hero, and sold it before I got around to playing it, but here's my take:

Don't pay full price.

The idea is great. The mechanics are fine. The non-game-mechanical content is mostly useless, especially the 'adventure' in the back, and it takes up about 1/3 of the book.

So... get it from ebay, or from a discount bookstore, or get a pdf, but I wouldn't recommend shelling out the full price.