PDA

View Full Version : The Pyro (TF2) (3.5)

Pie Guy
2008-09-21, 08:48 PM
We all know him, we all love him.
Give it up for...

http://dennisdemercer.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/pyro-copy.jpg
The Pyro!

Many are drawn to this class after realizing one thing: Fire can solve all problems quickly and efficiently.

Entry requirements:
BAB+3
Skills Craft(Alchemy) 4 ranks, Heal 2 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) 2 ranks

Pyro
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0| Flame Expertise, Lingering Burn 1, Flame Cannon

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0| Suprise Attack, Lingering Burn 2

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1| Unknown Attacker +1d6, Improved Flame, Lingering Burn 3

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1| Lingering Burn 4, Bigger Flame

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1| Piercing Fire, Powerful Flame, Unknown Attacker + 2d6, Lingering Burn 5[/table]

Flame Expertise(Ex): You can now concoct for free a flammable substance that burns and can only be shot from a Flame Cannon. It burns for a number of rounds equal to your Pyro class level + 1, dealing 1d6 damage per turn. The damage does not stack with multiple burnings. For book keeping purposes, You are treated as if you have an infinite supply.

Flame Cannon(Ex): At level one, the Pyro creates a flame Cannon to distribute the fireThis is a 20 pound device that as a standard action shoots a 20 foot line of fire.

Lingering Burn(Ex): At level 1, an enemy affected by your Flame Cannon takes an extra point of damage per round of burning. This increases by one every level.

Suprise Attack(Ex): At level 2, an enemy who wasn't aware of you (as in sneaking up behind them or turning a corner) when you attacked with a Flame Cannon must make a will save dc 10 + Pyro class level + Dexterity modifier, or be unable to make a standard action next turn.

Unknown Attacker(Ex): At level 3, whenever the Pyro makes an attack against an enemy who would be affected by Suprise Attack, the Pyro adds one d6 to his damage roll. This increases to 2d6 at level 5.

Improved Flame(Ex): At level 3, the 1d6 from Flame Mastery improves to a 1d8.

Bigger Flame(Ex): At level 4, the jet of flame from a Flame Cannon increases to 30 feet, and you can now produce a 20 feet by 20 feet cone of flame.

Piercing Fire(Su): At level 5,the Pyro now can use their Flame Cannon on enemies with fire resistance or fire immunity, causing untyped damage instead of fire damage.

Powerful Flame(Ex): At level 5, the Pyro's fire damage increases to 1d10 instead of 1 d8.

Editors note: Fluff tomorrow, right now I have to sleep.

Mr Pants
2008-09-21, 08:58 PM
I don't understand the need for Heal and Knowledge (Nature) as requirements.

Maybe it could have some rules for the alternative weapons, the backburner, flare gun and axtinguisher.

Other than that, this is epic!
*runs off to play TF2*

Pie Guy
2008-09-21, 09:02 PM
Maybe it could have some rules for the alternative weapons, the backburner, flare gun and axtinguisher.

Maybe, but the concept is kind of fire= good, so I don't know why someone would use other things.

Anyway, about the heal/knowledge nature, they're really there for some concievable way to harvest flame stuff from plants and animals and dead guys you've just killed. I'll bring it up tomorrow.

Arbitrarity
2008-09-21, 09:04 PM
You can summarize those abilities easily

Flamethrower (Ex): A Pyro can utilize a flamethrower, a weapon firing a line (cone?) of fire. This weapon fires a 20 ft line (Improving to a 30 ft line at level 4) of fire at will, as a standard action. This ignites enemies for a number of rounds equal to the character's pyro level +1, dealing (1d6 damage +1/pyro level) fire damage/round. This improves to (1d8+1/pyro level)fire damage/round at level 3, and (1d10+1/pyro level)untyped damage/round at level 5.

Surprise attack (Ex): Whenever the Pyro's attacks with the flame cannon, and its target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Pyro flanks its target, the target must make a will save, DC 10+Pyro Class level + Pyro's Dexterity Modifier, or be unable to take a standard action next round. At level 3, whenever the pyro makes a Surprise attack, the target takes an additional 1d6 damage. This improves to 2d6 at level 5.

Or something like that.
Now, those are some potent abilities. There should probably be a save for Flamethrower abilities, i.e reflex, or it should require an attack roll. Also, how does one extinguish flame? Jumping in water, and getting healed, are the ways in game. Perhaps "if the target is healed X amount of damage, it is no longer on fire".

ALSO! Needs compression blast and flaregun plox. And axtinguisher.
I can see a pyro being a 10 level class.

Gender Ambiguity(Su): The pyro's Gender cannot be discerned by any means, magical or natural, so long as he wears his (Her?) mask.

I think Flamethrower should be a 10ft cone, and add flaregun for ranged burnination. And axtinguisher is important.
"Whenever a pyro attacks a target currently ablaze using this weapon, his attack, if it hits, automatically threatens and confirms a critical hit."

Kidding, for balance reasons. Wheee. Unless that axe was somehow ridiculously weak.

Compression blast, however, could be done.

Pie Guy
2008-09-22, 06:38 AM
Yes, when I was in bed I realized that there was no method of hitting someone with a flame thrower. I'll fix that today after school.

BisectedBrioche
2008-09-22, 06:48 AM
Maybe, but the concept is kind of fire= good, so I don't know why someone would use other things.

Anyway, about the heal/knowledge nature, they're really there for some concievable way to harvest flame stuff from plants and animals and dead guys you've just killed. I'll bring it up tomorrow.

Oh come on, how can the pyro be considered good? In fact how can any of the cast of TF2 be considered good for that matter. I mean maybe the heavy's to dumb to be evil and the snipers at least Affable Evil (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AffablyEvil), but when the medic's a mad scientist you know you're not going to be finding any saints.

Arbitrarity
2008-09-22, 07:33 AM
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/dnd-tf2.jpg
Anyways, its not "good" literally. I still think this chart is silly, but whatever.

Seriously, the scout is a nasty kid.

Knaight
2008-09-22, 07:51 AM
Whats the hit die?

Arbitrarity
2008-09-22, 02:50 PM
Probably d10 or d8. Pyro has third most health, at 175, less than the soldier at 200, and much less than heavy 300.

I'd say d8, from literal game translation. d4 is engineer, sniper, spy, and scout. d6 is medic. d8 is pyro and demo, d10 is soldier, and d1220 is heavy.

Roderick_BR
2008-09-22, 03:10 PM
Don't forget the "spy check" ability (ignores penalties from fighting invisible enemies), and the special suit that prevents Lingering Burn (but not the normal and extra damage from direct attacks).
And heck, no, the Medic is far from being anything remotelly close to good.