PDA

View Full Version : Large Dice

Tormsskull
2008-09-22, 06:18 AM
Hi all,

So I have several sets of large dice. They are perhaps between 2 and 3 times the size of standard dice. They are very easy to read, and hard to lose.

However, one of my players recently said that because they are larger, when you roll them they get less rotations, and as such you're more likely to roll the same thing you rolled the previous time.

This made no sense to me, but I was wondering if there was any truth to this. I rolled like 4 twenties out of 8 rolls last session, which brought this discussion up.

Anyone know?

AstralFire
2008-09-22, 06:22 AM
There's some level of truth to this, but then you just shake them more vigorously and with a wider cupped palm. (Two hands if you need.)

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-22, 06:50 AM
However, one of my players recently said that because they are larger, when you roll them they get less rotations, and as such you're more likely to roll the same thing you rolled the previous time.

The amount of rotations would not affect the randomness of how they turn out. You can already "drop" dice of any size to get the number you're holding in your hand (your player also seems to assume that the dice are not, in fact, rolled in your hand).

Even four 20s in a row is not so unlikely as to be impossible.

The only thing you might have to consider is whether you're dropping the dice or not - do you roll them in your hand, and do they roll when they fall? If they do roll, the size isn't actually affecting anything significantly.

Hairb
2008-09-22, 07:03 AM
I would just try to argue it is the "pimp factor" innate to all large dice that causes them to roll those 20's. 20's are "how they roll." In politically correct circles, substitute "crunk factor."

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-22, 07:09 AM
I would just try to argue it is the "pimp factor" innate to all large dice that causes them to roll those 20's. 20's are "how they roll." In politically correct circles, substitute "crunk factor."If that fails, you may have to resort to arguing the "Smack" factor. That factor is based off of how much they hurt upon smacking into the other player's face when thrown across the room. Larger dice normally have more weight in that argument, with the exception of D4s.

SoD
2008-09-22, 07:11 AM
If that fails, you may have to resort to arguing the "Smack" factor. That factor is based off of how much they hurt upon smacking into the other player's face when thrown across the room. Larger dice normally have more weight in that argument, with the exception of D4s.

And of course, the optimum use of D4s as weaponry is to turn them into a trap for those who wear not shoes.

Rad
2008-09-22, 11:17 AM
I guess that having the guy next to you roll four 20s would make people suspicious of whatever dice they were using.
Dice size is not relevant as long as they roll enough. They would be slightly easier to set on a given number if you were actively trying to do so though.

sonofzeal
2008-09-22, 11:23 AM
I roll sideways, rather than dropping it after shaking it, so the die rolls visibly on the ground. I also use a cupped hand to block runaway dice. This combination ensures randomness while keeping the die under control. :smallcool:

AstralFire
2008-09-22, 11:23 AM
I roll sideways, rather than dropping it after shaking it, so the die rolls visibly on the ground. I also use a cupped hand to block runaway dice. This combination ensures randomness while keeping the die under control. :smallcool:

I use a TI-89 with an RNG function.

valadil
2008-09-22, 11:40 AM
I have one oversized d20. It's somewhere between golf ball and tennis ball sized. I haven't noticed it rolling any differently than any other die, but I only use it for big important rolls. Not because I'm superstitious, but because the giant die makes things that much more dramatic.

skywalker
2008-09-22, 11:46 AM
I hate giant dice, because while normal dice go: "ClickRollrollrollrollrollrollroll"

Giant dice go: "CLONKTHUDAThudathudathuda."

Keld Denar
2008-09-22, 11:46 AM
Its not the size of the dice that matters anyways...its how much you Power Attack with it!

Sorry, I just had to...

Hzurr
2008-09-22, 02:47 PM
I hate giant dice, because while normal dice go: "ClickRollrollrollrollrollrollroll"

Giant dice go: "CLONKTHUDAThudathudathuda."

They make those large plush dice, if noise is really an issue.

Although I have a tough time imagining a game where it wouldn't devolve to a game of dodge-ball by the end of the 2nd encounter.

Prometheus
2008-09-22, 02:49 PM
The dice is random, you can assure your player thus. If he/she thinks that he knows something about physics and probability, remind him/her of a couple things whenever he/she cries foul:
- The Law of Large Numbers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers), that overtime things average out to be fair.
- The "Other Law of Large Numbers" namely, that is, unlikely things happen if you give it enough chances. It may be a 1 out of 400 chance to roll two 20s (or two 1s) in a row, but players roll 400 times.
- Double Blindness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_experiment). You may throw the die the same way every time, but it is a different random value every time you pick it up, you will get perfectly random results.
- The pattern-finding tendencies of humans. We identify false positives. We remember unusual responses more than ordinary ones especially if (rather than despite the fact that) we are looking for it.

This skeptic is skeptical of your skeptic.

MisterSaturnine
2008-09-22, 03:08 PM
This skeptic is skeptical of your skeptic.

Congratulations. You win at skepticism. Or do you?...

Brauron
2008-09-22, 03:31 PM
I have a golf-ball sized D20, and my roommate has one slightly smaller than a clenched fist. I use both for dramatic rolls, depending on the level of dramatism called for.

Head of a band of bandits who have waylaid the party, rolling to see if he makes his reflex save to catch himself before he tumbles off a cliff, said tumble being PC-inflicted? Roll the golf ball.

BBEG needs to make a saving throw against Disintegration? KATHUNKATHUNKATHUNKATHUNKATHUNKATHUNKATHUNKATHUNKA THUNKATHUN... I use the giant d20.

I also roll sideways.