PDA

View Full Version : What feat gives a Fort save where there was none?

Frosty
2008-09-22, 07:13 AM
Many spells and effects (like a Vampire's Slam attack or a Ray of Enfeeblement) does not allow a save. I remember there was a feat somewhere which gave you a Fortitude save for some of these save-less effects. Can someone tell me where to find said feat? I may be in a campaign where I will fight lots and lots of Vampires and I want to be able to resist those negative levels.

Saph
2008-09-22, 07:20 AM
I can't remember ever seeing that feat. It's definitely not from Core, Completes, or PHB II, and I don't think it's in the Races Of or Frost/Storm/Sand either. Unless I'm forgetting . . . maybe it's one of those obscure ones from Dragon?

I usually rely on death ward and equivalent magical items to protect against level drain. Failing that a handful of restoration scrolls sort of solves the problem.

- Saph

Dhavaer
2008-09-22, 07:22 AM
I think I remember seeing it... it might be in Heroes of Horror?

Adumbration
2008-09-22, 07:25 AM
Libris Mortis, maybe?

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-22, 07:26 AM
It's Font of Life in Heroes of Horror. The only prequisite is that you must be a living creature.

Saph
2008-09-22, 07:26 AM
I think I remember seeing it... it might be in Heroes of Horror?

Good memory! I just checked and found it. Heroes of Horror, page 122. It's called "Font of Life". When hit by an energy drain attack, you get an immediate save at the DC to remove the negative level. If you succeed, you don't get energy drained.

- Saph

edit: Curses! Ninja foxes!

Dhavaer
2008-09-22, 07:29 AM
Holy crap, I can't believe I remembered that. :smallbiggrin: I've read HoH's feat section maybe twice.

SoD
2008-09-22, 07:32 AM
Heroes of Horror, Font of Life.

When struck by an attack that drains energy or bestows negative levels, you gain an immediate saving throw to resist the effect at the standard DC of the attack. If this suceeds, you avoid negative levels/energy drain, but still suffer any other effects of the attack or spell. If the save fails, you follow on immediatly, as if the save was never made (which may entitle you to another save).

Frosty
2008-09-22, 07:48 AM
But what is the standard save DC for a Vampire Energy Drain? 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma? And it doesn't even specify in the description what kind of save you get. Jeez...talk about an incomplete wording.

AstralFire
2008-09-22, 07:50 AM
On a similar note, Lords of Madness allows you a Fort Save to end Daze early. I forget the feat, but it's basically required if you want to use a Wild Surge a lot.

Frosty
2008-09-22, 07:52 AM
Not interested in Daze. Interested in being a good "I won't die" character without going into Psionics/Spellcasting at all.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-22, 07:52 AM
I'm assuming you just make the saving throw as you normally would do after 24 hours had gone. Font of Life would work with protecting you from things like Ray of Enfeeblement as well, right? (I'm guessing it does, but I just wanted to check.)

Saph
2008-09-22, 07:54 AM
But what is the standard save DC for a Vampire Energy Drain? 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma? And it doesn't even specify in the description what kind of save you get. Jeez...talk about an incomplete wording.

It's not really an incomplete wording: it gives you an immediate extra save against the effect, at the same DC as normal. Pretty much all creatures with Energy Drain have a Save DC listed in their stat blocks. The save's always Fortitude as far as I know.

- Saph

playswithfire
2008-09-22, 07:55 AM

I think it's saying you basically get to make the save that you'd make in 24 hours to remove the negative level, so a Fort save with DC = 10 +1/2 vampire hit dice + charisma

Frosty
2008-09-22, 07:56 AM
I'm assuming you just make the saving throw as you normally would do after 24 hours had gone. Font of Life would work with protecting you from things like Ray of Enfeeblement as well, right? (I'm guessing it does, but I just wanted to check.)

Ahh yes. Thank you for reminding of me of that. It turns out that my guess was correct as well. It is indeed 10 + 1/2 HD + CHA mod.

As for Ray of Enfeeblement, the feat will not help against it from what I am reading.

Now, onto the next question: How do I become resistant or Immune to Con drain such as one from being Pinned by a Vampire?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-22, 08:10 AM
Be a Warforged?

Beyond that, there are a bunch of spells that give it to you, but you said non-caster so...maybe a template? I know there's a couple of those, though I can't remember which ATM.