PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of the Jade Monkey, IC

Pages : [1] 2

kentma57
2008-09-22, 08:38 AM
It's mid day and the sun sits hight in the sky, from your window seat in the taver you watch passers by. Paying for the drink you notice you gold supply is running low, you need a job even if it is below your abilities. You raise you eyes to the work board.

mephassovar
2008-09-22, 09:13 AM
Kritios

Kritios looks like a handsome but feminine human in his early twenties. His curly, black hair and noble looking nose make him a little out of place in a simple tavern and there is a strange otherworldly look about him that's very hard to pin down. He is dressed in simple but very well made clothes that look a little dated - they're not old, but look like the came from an other era - from fashions long forgotten.

He eyes the room with casual observation. You wouldn't think it to look at him, but he's carrying everything he owns; the clothes on his back and a small leather bag with tools, a few nick-nacks and some coin.

Where to next... Time to move on? To experience something new? [Looking at the board] I wonder what kind of people answer these sort of advertisements?

Lycar
2008-09-23, 12:41 AM
Darren

Darren looks pretty unassuming in his traveller's outfit. He keeps his dark brown hair so short, a few milimeters less and he'd be bald. His grey eyes peer around alert but not suspicious.

His most striking feature is the half-mask he wears. It covers nose and mouth and is apparently designed to breathe through.

Earlier he asked the innkeeper for some soup and bread. Then he asked to eat his meal outside. The innkeeper only agreed after receiving payment in advance.

Equipment wise, Darren has a fancy looking backpack, which he keeps a close eye on. His boots are also of fine craftmanship.

He doesn't seem to be wearing any obvious weapons or armour, but looks can be deceiving after all.

After his meal, Darren hangs around inside the inn a bit more, whittling away at some piece of wood with a carving knife. Eventually he decides to check out the message board.

(Well, maybe they do need a carpenter. Or a mechanic. That would be a nice change of pace.)

Lycar

The Bushranger
2008-09-23, 06:54 PM
Dani

The bell on the door of the taven jangles and a young woman, slightly out of breath, enters. Quite short and almost painfully skinny, she has her long red hair pulled back in a ponytail and is dressed modestly and practically. She slips off her backpack, a shortspear strapped to the side of it, and eyes the noteboard.

Gavin Sage
2008-09-23, 07:52 PM
Gawren

Gawren frowned into his wineglass. The quality left more then something to be desired. Any worse and he might have to stoop to drinking that dwarven swill. The elf couldn't remember the time he'd had a glass of decent wine, it was one of the few things he regretted about leaving home really. The wine, other races simply couldn't apreciate it.

Sighing the elf put his glass down, it had only had a few sips out of it. Amber yellow eyes looked at it and then dismissed the beverage entirely. The elf was dressed in a flowing suit of chain mail too fine to be anything but of elven make. A finely made sword rested at the elf's hip. Slung over a chair across the table was an unmarked black travellers coat, while in it rested a pack that appeared about half full. Both were of apparently excellent make it not that obviously so. Resting next to them was an exquisite bow of some light grey wood with a some silver scroll work near the grip. It was all in clear view of the elf that owned the gear and eyed it often while resting a red haired head easily against an arm. The image of a cautious but bored adventurer.

tonberryking
2008-09-23, 08:55 PM
Acama

The Goldenbear dwarf sat alone in a corner, legs crossed over a barrel where she's been meditating for some time, a crumpled up piece of paper near the foot of the barrel having occupied her prior to now.

It was a list of expenses and budgeting, and she hadn't been satisfied with it. Why, it was a travesty and shameful she only had about 250 in mixed coins to help replenish her.. or at least she could hear that in her mind, coming from the imagined voices of her elders. Oh well. She had only just been back home a year or thereabouts, maybe two, musn't give the impression she would be hanging around all the time doing nothing.

A sigh escapes the burly matronly dwarf; she opens her golden eyes and hops off the barrel, slowly making her way towards the work board, swishing behind her is a large plait of likewise golden hair wound thicker than rope used on a ship to hoist the sails.

kentma57
2008-09-24, 06:16 PM
For any one who looks at the work board.
A map of the town.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7388/villageoneve4.th.jpg (http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=villageoneve4.jpg)http://img149.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

And as for work board, you find the usual odds and ends with one exception.

Adventurers Needed!
Payment Negotiable.
For more details see Lanthor Valant.

Lycar
2008-09-24, 06:28 PM
Darren

Darren looks over the usual list of chores up for grabs in a small village like this. Then he comes to the interesting item.

(Let's see... boring... boring.. also boring. Oh hey, someone needs a new shed. Well, if anything else fails, i can do that. Hmm. Wait, what's this? Adventurers needed? Pay negotiable? For more details see Lanthor Valant. Can do.)

Darren notices the other unsavoury figures beside him also perusing the notice board.

(Hm. Better be fast. Damn competition.)

He quickly walks over to the innkeeper and ask him in a low voice.

"Say, where would I find one Lanthor Valant in this village?"

Lycar

tonberryking
2008-09-24, 08:06 PM
Acama
Listen! (1d20+1=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1743375/)

Herself unaware of his desire for subtlety, Acama still peers at the scrawl villagers pass off as handwriting for a few moments as Darren passes her. Unfortunately, she seems only a few steps behind him and his thoughts(literally and figuratively), proven by the lady dwarf also heading towards the innkeeper.

"Couldja be telling me where a man named Lanthor Valant resides?" she seems surprisingly soft of voice, belying a gentle nature. But she's also talking louder than Darren, whom she obliviously gives a glance.

kentma57
2008-09-24, 08:56 PM
To anyone that asks the barkeep.

"Lanthor Valant, I know him. Came to town a few weeks ago, bought a house on the east end of town." Pointing a large house on the man. "Bin in a few time for a drink; nice guy, tips well."

tonberryking
2008-09-24, 09:00 PM
"Ahh, thank you. D'ye know why or what possible reason he'd be needin' adventurers for a task?"

The Bushranger
2008-09-24, 10:40 PM
Dani

Hmm, that sounds to be rather interesting....
Dani steps over in time to hear the barkeep's answer to Acama, and paitently waits a few steps behind her, waiting to see what answer the dwarf's next question brings.

Gavin Sage
2008-09-25, 12:08 AM
Gawren

Having collected his belongings and left the nearly full wine glass paid for Gawren found himself aimlessly searching the workboard. Not much in a village this size. Only one seemed less then utterly droll, though the elf could not help but wondering what negoiable payment would entail. Probably not enough, but Gawren's reserves of coin were much lighter then they had been.

"I suppose it shall have to do," he mumble to no one in particular.

It seemed others were interested in the job as well. Gawren overheard a dwarf asking after the employers whereabouts. Staying long enough to hear the answer Gawren moved to the door and stepped out of the inn. Might as well see if the job was worth the time.

Fri
2008-09-25, 03:50 AM
A young woman clad in explorer outfit entered the room. She lift her goggles and pushes her wide brimmed hat upward.

"Nice travelling with you guys," she saluted someone outside. "If we need something else, I'll definitely contact you guys again."

She wobbles forward. The first thing that hit the onlookers' eyes are how many things strapped on her body. A big leather backpack, belt and pouches, blades, waterskin, a piece of rope, some wand, and even a small ukulele.

"One of your local favourite, my good bartender," she says as she sits in one of the stool.

She pulls a notebook from one of her pouches and picks a pen, one of those fancy gnomish-pen that used by people who wrote a lot in travel.

After she scribbled something, she scoots toward the job board.

She nods toward all the job hunters in good will and read the board.

"I wonder who is this Lanthor Valant guy. But this will do. I'll need to do some local work anyway.

In the meantime... anything interesting around here lately, mr bartender?"

mephassovar
2008-09-25, 05:20 AM
Kritios

Having observed the comings and goings in the tavern, Kritios picks himself up and paces after Gawren. Catching up with the elf, he asks,

When you say, 'I suppose it shall have to do', I presume you are making reference to the Lanthor Valant job that is advertised in the tavern?

Kritios makes an attempt to grin and seem friendly - he is genuine, but it probably comes off as a little creepy. Whilst staring Gawren in the eyes he offers his hand as if to shake the elf's.

Kritios is my name; I'm a sculptor. I'm looking for something interesting to do and would be very grateful if you'd let me join you in this employment. I can assure you that I would be useful.

kentma57
2008-09-25, 11:37 AM
Passing out another drink, he barkeep answers the questions:

"Something interesting here? No. Apart from Lanthor moving into town, things are quite. Heck, even the goblins have left us alone lately." Pausing for a second "Right, but as for the job, I have no idea what he wants, though..." Leaning in I'm not much of a gosip, but I heard him say something about being robbed.

Standing up again
And don't know about you experiences, back in my day negotiable payment was good.

The Bushranger
2008-09-25, 12:26 PM
Dani steps forwards a little and speaks quietly.
Robbed, you say? May I presume something he couldn't go to the Watch to have retrieved then?

tonberryking
2008-09-25, 12:44 PM
Acama

"Likely I presume it be because the watch is nay prepared to deal with th' task at hand than a hardy lot such as us. If it were a darker secret he wouldna set up a flyer where everyone and th' mule could see it."

Acama straightens her black tunic and golden sash, heading back over to her earlier perch for a bandoleer of twin hatchets and a satchel. It's obvious where she's headed to as she waves to the others gathered. "But I'm for going to see for myself if this be the case, and would welcome any other brave souls for company."

The Bushranger
2008-09-25, 12:53 PM
Dani

Well...
Dani pauses for a moment, then shrugs.
If you don't mind my tagging along, I think I'd like to.
She adjusts the pack on her back with the ridicuolusly large-looking mace strapped to the side of it.

mephassovar
2008-09-25, 04:46 PM
Kritios

Realising that a reasonably large group of people seem interested in the Lanthor job, Kritios raises his voice slightly,

It seems that there are a few of us interested in the offer of employment by Lanthor Valant. May I suggest that we approach him as a group? If this bartender will be good enough to tell us which of the dwellings in this town is Mr Valants, I would be happy to act as the spokesperson for our group.

Kritios is a naturally confident person, but his slightly strange look and awkward expression might be disconcerting to Lanthor. Maybe he's not the best man for the job...

kentma57
2008-09-25, 05:23 PM
OOC: The bartender already showed you where the house is...

Lycar
2008-09-25, 07:07 PM
Darren

(Just great. One interesting job offer in months and look at all the scoundrels and lowlives come crawling out of the woodworks.. *sigh*)

The masked man just looks over his competitors for a moment.

(Oh well. Then again, there are advantages to working within a group. More targets for your foes to chose between. Sure, why not.)

"Depends on how many the man is willing to hire for this job, doesn't it. Only one way to find out."

And so Darren just turns around and walks straight for the house the innkeeper indicated.

Lycar

The Bushranger
2008-09-25, 07:30 PM
Dani

The petite young woman eyes the various scoundrels who've gathered in this wreched hive of scum and villiany...

...and gives them all a cheeky grin.
That sounds like a great idea to me! Let's go!
And she literally skips out after Darren.

tonberryking
2008-09-25, 07:59 PM
Acama just shakes her head with a soft smile on her face and moves in a leisurely pace after the pair. As a lasting gesture she waves her arm to any of the others in a "follow me" fashion before plodding out on sandaled feet in the path left by Dani and Darren.

Gavin Sage
2008-09-25, 11:16 PM
Gawren

"Yes, it seems to be the only job in town," Gawren said paying little mind at first to the.... human? Something seemed off about the man, he looked too something. Very odd. Not that Gawren was himself much better, but then he'd found few aside from elves ever cared much about the more subtle distinctions between the various clans, offshoots, and bloodlines.

"I've no problem with going as a group," the elf said to Kritios, "Though not much choice on that part unless I care to race there or come later,"

kentma57
2008-09-26, 09:12 AM
And so you set out together.

Within minutes you reach the home of Lanthor Valant. By far the most imprsive home in EastBrook, itis two stories tall and well kept. In front of you stands great oak door, carved with care and set with gold.

mephassovar
2008-09-26, 09:23 AM
Kritios

Always impressed by good craftsmanship, Kritios takes a moment admiring the door before giving a bright knock on the door with his ring finger.

Mr Valant? There's a group of us outside, seeking your employment! he shouts into the house.

The Bushranger
2008-09-26, 09:29 AM
Dani

Way to be discreet about it...
Sighing, Dani crosses her arms and waits to see what response they get to the rather loud announcement.

kentma57
2008-09-26, 08:27 PM
A tall man aswers the door, finely dressed but clearly not a wealthy man.

"May I help you?"

Lycar
2008-09-26, 09:34 PM
Darren

"May we help you? You posted a note at the inn. As you can see, you have quite a few willing and even some capable hands to chose between for your quest."

Lycar

Fri
2008-09-27, 12:01 AM
Alex

Alex grins at his new acquintance's display of subtlety before.

"We're here for your job offer at the tavern."

The Bushranger
2008-09-27, 01:45 AM
Dani

Bulls in china shops, every one of them.
Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, the very petite redhead smiles broadly at the man at the door.
What they said. We're all quite interested in your adventurers-wanted ad.

kentma57
2008-09-27, 10:24 PM
"You miss-understand; the add was place by Mr. Valant not myself. Let me show you in."
Following him (the manservant) inside you find yourself in a well decorated home. The first door on your right you come to a sitting room; infront of a fireplace sits a short and plump man. He looks up from his book and eyes the group.
"Well you must be adventurers, here to answer my request."

The Bushranger
2008-09-27, 11:43 PM
Dani

Dani nods in answer to the man's assessment. That we are, sir. I can't speak for the others of course but I am very interested in what you have to offer.

tonberryking
2008-09-28, 02:34 PM
Acama

"I speak for myself." the dwarf states, ambling into the room. Though ah be hearin' the same as the lass here, that you're in need of hired muscle fer your problems. I'd much like to know why.

Lycar
2008-09-28, 03:56 PM
Darren

"Depends on what skills you are asking for of course. But it would seem you are fortunate enough to pick your talents form quite a handfull of applicants. So, what is it you need help with?"

Lycar

Fri
2008-09-28, 06:22 PM
Alex

Alex smiles and gives a nod.
Yes, what the others said

Gavin Sage
2008-09-28, 06:57 PM
Gawren

Seeing the purpose of the group more then amply, if maybe not ably stated. In any case the red haired elf kept his mouth shut and simply waited, affecting an air of patience. No need to blab all over like the rest had. And Gawren didn't want to be taken as if he actually knew any of these people. The job might have only limited openings.

kentma57
2008-09-29, 08:36 PM
OOC: sorry for the wait.

"Well you look like your up to the challenge, though I think you will have to work as a team... Several days ago I was robbed of my most precious possession, several people broke into my home at night and fled with it. Luckly they left this (holding up a scrop of cloth) and my associate was able to scry on there location. They are well equiped and I am worried they will move soon, I need you help."

The Bushranger
2008-09-29, 10:19 PM
Dani

Well, at least you have a lead...
Dani hesitates, then continues.
It would be a great help if we know exactly what the stolen item is, though.

kentma57
2008-09-30, 05:40 PM
"Well I do. Infact I even have a map." pulling out a pice of parchment "They have made camp in some old ruins, I guess they where not expecting someone to scry on them."

Lycar
2008-09-30, 06:35 PM
Darren

Darren just holds back for the moment. There are enough people around to do the talking.

(A map. How convenient. Oh well, good thing I'm used to travelling through the wilderness.)

Lycar

tonberryking
2008-09-30, 08:26 PM
Acama

Fingering the thick length of braid her hair was knotted into, Acama is quick in interject the discussion with some questions of her own.

"Hold up for a moment. Ye havae not answered the main question: what's the item we're to be retrieving? An heirloom? Magical item?" She starts to count on her hands. "Cannae be easily carried, be it fragile? Why could ye not alert the guard about a simple theft? I need more details of our objective. And for that matter, good sir, what can ye tell us about these ruins the louts be hiding in?

The Bushranger
2008-09-30, 08:41 PM
Dani

A look of slight frustration crosses the petite redhead's face as Valant dodges her question, then she relaxes a little as the dwarf speaks up before she can, and probably a bit more diplomatically than she would have as well...

Clearing her throat softly as Acama finishes, she nods in agreement and continues. If we're going to be successful in recovering your...most precious possession...we need every bit of information you can possibly give us.

kentma57
2008-10-01, 05:54 PM
Looking at the expression Dani's face, he realizes his mistake "I am so sorry, I thought you said 'where the item is' not what. Your task is to retrive an ancient artifact, 'the Jade Monkey'. Made from a single pice of green jade. This 1ft tall statue is so hard it can not be damaged by might or magic; how it was made escapes all explanation." pausing for a moment "and as for the ruins I have never been there; but I can tell you that they extend underground and that the interiour is immune to the best scrying I could find.
Anything else?"

The Bushranger
2008-10-01, 06:07 PM
No problem, stuff like that happens. Dani gives him a thank-you smile. Does the statue itself have any magical signature or anything?

tonberryking
2008-10-01, 08:19 PM
Acama

"All this for a piece of suspicious stone work.."Acama thinks, stroking her hair. "Be that as it may, how many varlets d'ye expect there are for us to handle? An why would they want th' idol if it's so individual and just harder than me cousin's head?"

Fri
2008-10-02, 12:32 PM
Alex

"Ah. Now this hold my personal interest greatly.

Maybe I need to introduce myself first. My name is Alex Freeman, and I'm a historian by trade. I'm doing odd jobs here and there, but my real occupation is to study ancient artifacts and ruins like these.

A piece of statue carved from a whole jade, undamaged by magic or might. Now this is something I'd love to study.

May I have more information about this curious stone work? Do you know who stole it? Why did they steal it? And why did they bring this stone statue to this mysterious ruin?

And about the ruin. Do you have more information about the ruin? Maybe it's unexplored yet, but, do you have any local legend about the ruins, what kind of ancient people built it and for what purpose. What kind of local boogeyman haunt that place. Things like that. From my travel, I know that some times legends have grains of truth waiting to be picked.

Any information would help us greatly."

kentma57
2008-10-02, 04:14 PM
"Sadly, no I do not have the information you seek. Infact that is why I came all the way out here. I was able to trace the history of the statue back to this area, but no farther. It was my hope that careful study of the town history, I would learn more."

Lycar
2008-10-02, 04:32 PM
Darren

(Hm. So it is sort of a bounty hunt really. Only the subject is an inanimate object. Okay, I can do that.)

Darren uses this point to interject his own question "Right. So basically you want us to go to these ruins and convince the people there to return the jade monkey to his rightful owner. This leaves two questions: First, just how much 'convincing' do you want us to do? There is quite a difference between bringing the law down on a bunch of thieves and exacting some sort of 'vigilante justice' on them. We could try and recover it without making much of a fuss about it, we could go and round up the thieves, so that they can be brought before the proper authorities, or we can go ahead with total disregard for our own survival and just cut down everything between us and that jade monkey. Personally the course of action I'd least advise. But some clients get their jollies out of knowing that the people who wronged them get to bleed."

"And second: How much are you willing to pay? You have to understand, the amount you are willing to invest into our services will also determine what amount of resources we are willing to expend on your behalf."

Lycar

The Bushranger
2008-10-02, 04:42 PM
Dani

Nodding in agreement with Darren, Dani tries to look as serious and determined as she can about the matter.
This is not helped by her size... ((:smalltongue:))

kentma57
2008-10-03, 01:54 PM
His face becoming very serious. "You will recive 2000 gold pieces when you bring back the monkey and 150 gold pieces for each head you take from their band."

tonberryking
2008-10-03, 02:02 PM
Acama

"Yer to be payin' that much gold for an idol and revenge... What worth be this Jade ape to ye, really when y' could just as easy hire a different thief to fetch it back with no blood spilt?"

Acama glances back at some of the others, in particular the petite girl that had been rather vocal to this point, showing that she is a wee bit concerned over the severity of the order issued.

This strikes me as suspicious. So here's a sense motive
Sense motive (1d20+4=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1754842/)

The Bushranger
2008-10-03, 03:23 PM
Dani

Dani notices the dwarf's look, and raises an eyebrow in response, before returnig her attention to their prospective employer.
I can understand the reward for the statue itself, but headhunting? Is the monkey something that's been passed down in the family through generations or something?

And another Sense Motive for the pot: [roll0]

Lycar
2008-10-03, 05:54 PM
Darren

Darren remains impassive, just nodding slowly.

(... time to buy some sacks then...)

Lycar

Fri
2008-10-04, 03:31 AM
Alex

You guys have some good points." She noticed her new colleagues distrust at their employer. " This job is just too vague. But either way, I just have to do this job. I can't miss this chance to study this mysterious jade figure

Gavin Sage
2008-10-04, 11:32 AM
Gawren

"Two thousand gold shall meet my demands for a simple retrival...." Gawren said, "However I favor a bow as a weapon and arrows may grow on trees but I've no taste for cutting them down myself. Likewise I've other gear that's expendable, and there's always the risk of breakage. And if these thieve have moved from their location we would have to pursue them. A long chase could incur further costs. Would you provide anything for expenses should a simple retrival grow shall we say, less simple. By the by, I'm Gawren Fey'harth"

The elf had suspiscions but largely didn't care. Take back stolen goods, that was the job. The payment wasn't spectacular but it would at least pass the time until a better job presented itself. At worst he could take the goods and sell them for himself if the payer didn't come through.

kentma57
2008-10-05, 07:59 AM
"Very well you will recive 100gp up front to purchase supplies. And if you must know it was my father's dream to discover the secrets of this artifact and he was murdered on his quest to do so. I will not fail him, just because some rufians think I am an easy target."

ps: OOC, Gavin Sage 2000+ gold at you level is good (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/treasure.htm) for your level.

The Bushranger
2008-10-05, 09:29 AM
Dani

Dani's expression changes to a sympathetic one as the man explains the situation further. I'm sorry to hear they killed your father. She looks around at the others, then back at him. I'm in.

mephassovar
2008-10-05, 09:37 AM
Kritios

A priceless sculpture! This is a dream come true... I wonder who made it? and how? were they Elan? What does it look like? This is exciting...

Kritios excited is not dissimilar from Kritios undisturbed. His approach to everything is measured and carefully paced.

As a sculptor, I have an exceptional reason to pursue this quest. Your payment is also very generous. I am very willing to accept your offer and would ask that, on return of the item, I may be permitted to spend a little time with it... under close supervision, of course. Regardless, I am prepared and ready to travel as soon as it is appropriate. Truly, I am glad I offered my services in this instance.

Kritios looks around, his demeanour implying that he wishes to begin this retrieval at the earliest opportunity.

Lycar
2008-10-05, 10:39 AM
Darren

"Fine. I'm up for the job. I used to work with some bounty hunters before, so this is really something I'm familiar with. So we can start anytime now. We just need that map to their location. The we buy some provisions and off we go."

Darren frowns as something occurs to him.

"Hmm. You mentioned the underground? Does any of you have experience with spelunking or dungeon delving? Because I don't."

Lycar

Fri
2008-10-05, 01:53 PM
Alex

Alex smiles and pushes the tip of her hat again, this time toward Gawren.

Nice to meet you, Mr. Feyharth

Anyway, don't worry. I have quite some... experience in dungeon delving. You have no idea how much time we historians have to spend under'ground to find out whether a ruin was an orcish toilet or a goblin living room.

Lycar
2008-10-05, 03:50 PM
Darren

Darren nods to Alex. "Then certainly you know what kind of equipment we need..."

After a quick glance at her huge backpack, he goes on " although you seem to be pretty prepared already."

Lycar

kentma57
2008-10-05, 05:12 PM
"I am glad you can help." and with a nod the manservan brings you the map and 100 gold Good Luck.

Lycar
2008-10-05, 05:21 PM
Darren

"Good. Now let us take a look at that map. How many days of travel are we looking at here?"

Darren does just that: He reads the map to figure out how long the way will be.

Lycar

The Bushranger
2008-10-05, 07:36 PM
Dani

The petite redhead smiles at her companions. My name's Dani, I have a little bit of expereince, I reckon, although not as much as you I bet, the last directed to Alex.

She stands on her tiptoes to try to get a look at the map Darren's holding...

kentma57
2008-10-06, 08:18 AM
You both guess it to be at least a four day walk. Though you think you could rush and get there in three.

Fri
2008-10-06, 11:34 AM
Alex

Well, alright. Let's get started then. I need to buy things first though. I lost my rations and my 10 feet pole in an accident involving rabid bugbear and a spilled vodka just a few days ago.

And may we linger in the village for a bit? Since mr employer don't have too much information, maybe we can get more from the villager.

Do I need to roleplay the information gathering or should I just roll a few times?

tonberryking
2008-10-06, 02:21 PM
Acama

The dwarf tries getting a looksee at the map, overhearing the others while silently judging the character of their employer.

Finally, as things are starting to get underway, Acama takes control of the discussion again as if she'd grabbed it an an armlock.

"They'll be nae any lingering, boy," she starts, heading for the door after bowing to their employer. "Buy what ye need and if ye have th' time, ask what ye can but these varlets may not be planning to hole up in their lair for long, especially if it'll take half the week to approach them. Less ye have a great steed or magics to catch up with us, those who cannae shall leave with me before another hour passes and avoid tarying.

Lycar
2008-10-06, 05:43 PM
Darren

"Let us get some supplies and then head out. But we DO need supplies. Come on, there's a shop here in the village. "

Darren gives a nod to his employer.

"That will be about 4 days of travel. Maybe 3 if we really hurry. We are on our way."

And thus, Darren turns to leave, heading for the shop to fill his backpack with rations and water.

"Name's Darren by the way. Darren Carpenter. I know a bit or two about travelling but I am definitly no expert. Any of you happen to be an outdoors expert?"

Lycar

kentma57
2008-10-06, 06:16 PM
OOC: Most of what you want will be in town. Just aprove it with your party.

The Bushranger
2008-10-06, 07:21 PM
Dani

Dani gives Alex an odd look, then shakes her head smiling before speaking up.
A rabid bugbear? I don't wanna know...I'm pretty sure I've got everything I need. I've got 20 days' worth of rations so I'm willing to share - do you really need the pole?

Gavin Sage
2008-10-06, 10:46 PM
Gawren

"My version of travelling in the wilderness is going well supplied and along a beaten path," Gawren said to the group while nodding in reply to the decently polite greeting, "However I've quite a few tricks for sticky situations, and can unseen easily. I've only six days of rations at the moment but and will pick up more to cover myself. I was planning to stock up on potions personally though. Is anyone here a capable healer, that would inform my choices certainly."

Fri
2008-10-07, 01:26 PM
Alex

Thanks. I hate traveling on an empty stomach. Sadly I don't have any healing capability, I only got my cure light wound wand, still fully charged.

I'll just get my 10 feet pole replacement. Call me old fashioned or silly, but I feel naked without it.

So, where will we meet? I want to ask around the village first.

OOC:after we agreed on the rendezvous place, I'll ask around to gather information.

Questions:
-The village's history
-Our employer's history.
-Any info/local legend about the ruin. Especially about what kind of bogeyman that's supposed to be there
-Anything about the thieving, the thieves and the jade statue

Rolls if needed:

Gather information:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Bardic Knowledge
[roll4]

edit: ah, damn. Even without the rations, I realized that Alex would be encumbered with the pole. Sigh, I guess Alex should travel naked this time.

Lycar
2008-10-07, 02:34 PM
Darren

Darren looks at Alex for a moment.
"... sometimes, knowing too much can be a liability in our line of work."

"Either way, I'm off resupplying."

Maybe Alex should watch Darren put stuff in his handy Heward's Handy Haversack. Then she might get an idea who gets to carry that 10' pole for her. :smallwink:

Anyway, Darren wants to buy 3 ropes, a grappeling hook and enough rations for the entire team for 12 days. Oh and a pair of lanterns plus about 20 flasks of oil. Unless others already have that sort of gear on their person. Suggestions?

Lycar

The Bushranger
2008-10-07, 02:43 PM
Dani, as noted, has 20 days' rations - also a lantern and 5 pints of oil and 50' of rope...and her very own Handy Haversack. :smallcool:

Dani

Nodding in understanding of having equipment you just can't do without, Dani goes to accompany the others shopping, and also to assist Alex in her information gathering.

And so the girls go shopping together. :smalltongue:
Assist Another on the gather information checks:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Fri
2008-10-07, 03:26 PM
girls' shopping time! The boots of elvenkind is useful, but it's like, lime green! :smalltongue:

Alex

I really can't remember what did I put into my backpack and why." said the historian, dragging her newly bought equipments.

Alex keeps trying to cram a 10 feet pole and a steel crowbar into her already crammed and extremely jumbled backpack with no success.
After some while, she sighs and turns her head into her companion.

"I really need to buy that nifty sack like the one you got if I have some gold. Mind if I borrow some space in your backpack, Dani?"

Alex already got two rolls of silk rope and grappling hook. She also got an everburning torch and a wand of burning hand, but no oil or ration. Maybe we should have some acid and/or holy water? Huh, maybe our information gathering will give us something.

Anyone got cooking utensils:smallbiggrin:?

The Bushranger
2008-10-07, 09:15 PM
Dani

So there's a possibility some food item bought long ago is in the bottom there, evolving into sentience and plotting to consume us all? The petite redhead makes a face of mock horror. It's the trail bar that time forgot!

No longer able to keep a straight face, she breaks down giggling for a moment, then composes herself and watches as the 10-foot pole refuses to be tractable...
Sure, I've got room to spare. Dani accepts the pole and quickly has it vanishing into her Handy Haversack. You know, I've heard some people are making collapsable versions of these things now, too.

:smalltongue:

Alchemist's Fire is always of the good. Dani has rations to spare, but more is better - maybe some trail bars (regardless of their taste)?
And Dani's pack is, regrettably, spork free. :smalltongue:

Fri
2008-10-08, 01:43 PM
Alex

"Actually, it might be true. Just now I remember that there is one packet of ration somewhere on the bottom of my pack. The good side, I have some emergency food. The bad side, well, let's just hope that it hadn't achieved sentience.

Now you're saying, that collapsible pole would be useful. I'd love to get it if we could find one. I hope we can buy it from one of those adventurers in the inn."

OOC: Could we?

Lycar
2008-10-08, 05:43 PM
Darren

Darren overhears the mention of 'collapsible 10'-poles'.

"What's so special about that? You take your legth of wood, cut it into 1 or 2' segments and then fit the ends with some sort of connector mechanism. Screw locks would work. Like on that gnomish polearm where you can screw on different blades for different uses. You know, axeheads, pike heads, slashing blades. Or an extension rod for for more reach. Simple really."

Lycar

The Bushranger
2008-10-08, 07:12 PM
Dani

That would work too, but I'm pretty sure the one I heard about was supposed to work like the segments slid into each other and locked when you extended it.
Dani looks around, then nods in the direction of a baker and butcher shop she spots.
Let's head over there, I can get some more grub for us.

...thus says Dungeonscape on the subject of collapsable poles. :smallwink:

Rations purchased:
1 gallon ale :smallamused: and 5 tankards for drinking of same
5 half-pound hunks of cheese
2 half-pound hunks of meat
10 loaves of bread

Also, 5 torches.

kentma57
2008-10-08, 07:28 PM
OOC: still here, and everything you want so far is reasonable(if you want to buy it; just say your character goes to a plausible location and asks)

Lycar
2008-10-09, 03:42 AM
Darren

Darren quirks an eyebrow at Dani.

"Slide into each other you say? Now that is a lot less simple... Hmm, that would require a real workshop. And of course the final segment would be pretty thin. Enough to poke around for triggers of course..."

He goes on to do his shopping with the others but apparently the idea intrigues him. He seems to be a little absent minded during shopping.

Since you didn't answer in the OOC thread I'll ask again: Would it be ok if Darren bought some raw materials at the local hardware store and went about to craft some connector parts during the trip to the ruins?

Lycar

mephassovar
2008-10-09, 05:07 AM
Kritios

Kritios has been poderously observing the others, taking in everything that is said. Following the others around while they pick up bits of equipment, Kritios ventures to speak:

I haven't really explained what it is that I... do - very well. I am a sculptor; I am a philosopher but I can also achieve a particular state of mind that is beyond most ordinary thinking. Consider the question of Dani's 'collapsable pole'. An interesting concept, but perhaps difficult to achieve. I believe that I have the answer, though - please observe.

Kritios appears to be concentrating very hard, staring into his open palm. He stands there thinking for a whole minute, during which time a strange form of matter seems to be forming on his hands - pale green, transparent and viscous. The air in his hands seems to be congealing and a shape forms itself in a long streak, horizontally in open space.

Suddenly, from nothing, a beautifully crafted darkwood pole appears in Kritios' open palm. It is very long (around 10 feet) and engraved with intricate carvings depicting the party members spiralling down a staircase around the wood, chasing a monkey (crafted from ivory). The monkey appears to be laughing and taunting them.

I can make very many things with my thoughts. They are temporary but exceptionally useful - this is why I carry so little. I could make a pole that is very much longer.

Craft Sculpting [roll0]

kentma57
2008-10-09, 08:52 AM
Since you didn't answer in the OOC thread I'll ask again: Would it be ok if Darren bought some raw materials at the local hardware store and went about to craft some connector parts during the trip to the ruins?

Well you cam by materials, but trying to craft on your way to the ruins will slow you down.

ps: so much innuendo...

Fri
2008-10-09, 09:41 AM
OOC:Guh, I forgot who had introduced him/herself and who hadn't.

Alex
"If that's not too much of a bother." Says Alex toward Darren. "That's kinda cool, the only thing I can do with mechanical things is to break them apart. I'll pay for it, don't worry."

Then she noticed that a pole materialized in Kritios' hand

"You... you can make things out of thin air! I've traveled a lot, but that's quite a rare talent.

That will be more useful than anything I could think of right now."

The Bushranger
2008-10-09, 10:49 AM
ps: so much innuendo...
:smallamused:

Dani

...wow. That's pretty incredible.
She studies the pole, notices the carvings - and laughs gleefully.
That's so cute! Funny, though, you can do all this mentally? The stuff I do is mental too, or so I've been told anyway - although it's radically different of course.

Lycar
2008-10-09, 02:19 PM
Darren

Darren watches Kritios with some amazement.
"Hm. Count yourself lucky that your creations are only temporary. Otherwise, every artisan's guild would put a price on your head."

After a moment of consideration, Darren adds "Although you could make a nice profit making forms for molds."

"As for myself, I spent the last few years working as armsmaster for a company of bounty hunters. I am a trained mechanic and weaponsmith. I know enough about carpeting to build a shed and enough about smithing to straighten a blade. But mostly I was responsible for keeping the company's crossbows in working order. So out of professional neccessity, I also am a fair shot with one. Although admittedly, I'm better at hitting stationary targets then ducking and weaving foes."

Lycar

mephassovar
2008-10-10, 11:43 AM
Kritios

Clearly comfortable with the subject matter, Kritios enjoys the comments of his colleagues. He is not arrogant but, being used to praise, he recieves compliments very graciously.

I am very pleased that so many of you share my enthusiasm for the crafts. Practical people are definitely the best to travel with - particularly on this type of venture.

Lycar
2008-10-10, 06:19 PM
Darren

Darren nods "I'll say... there are too many 'adventurers' out there, who's only skill is poking stuff with a stick. Or with magic as the case may be. But ask them to build a house, or even a table, or do anything constructive and you draw blank stares."

Lycar

mephassovar
2008-10-13, 02:06 PM
Kritios

Content that he has found a group that is both interesting and capable, Kritios decides to make himself practical.

It seems that we are all prepared and provided for. Let us begin our journey to the ruins. A four day hike awaits us and, doubtless, we will know each other far better by the end of it.

Kritios has put most of the decorative work at the end of the 10' pole. He removes a saw from his toolkit and manually cuts it down to size. Using it as a walking stick, Kritios (and his partners if they are willing) walks out of town and into the unknown.

The Bushranger
2008-10-13, 02:13 PM
Dani

I'm ready if y'all are. Let's go!
Grinning madly, Dani pretty much literally skips after Kritios, eager to get out and find some adventure...

tonberryking
2008-10-13, 02:27 PM
Acama

Acama sighs. Having been ready a good while ago, traveling light now with only 8 extra rations, the good monk has become rather impatient over what strikes her as flagrance.

"Ye goin' to be buying the whole town's stock of goods before we're off, or are ye goin' to leave a little for the next bunch of adventurers onna quest?"

Lycar
2008-10-13, 03:47 PM
Darren

So the party sets out on their mission. Darren had stored 2 extra water skins and 5 of the trail rations in his Hversack, just to make sure they would be well stocked.

He makes good time, obviously used to marching around the countryside.

He even keeps an eye out for the weather.

After an jour or so, when they are deep inside the forest, Darren takes off his mask and stows it away.

"Finally, fresh air. No more dust..." he says to no-one in particular.

Lycar

Fri
2008-10-13, 03:57 PM
Acama

Acama sighs. Having been ready a good while ago, traveling light now with only 8 extra rations, the good monk has become rather impatient over what strikes her as flagrance.

"Ye goin' to be buying the whole town's stock of goods before we're off, or are ye goin' to leave a little for the next bunch of adventurers onna quest?"

"Yeah, even I only travel lightly this time," says Alex as she fixes her larger than life backpack's position.

As they walk, Alex fiddles with his ukulele, mindlessly playing some unheard song.

kentma57
2008-10-13, 08:44 PM
And so you set out. Doing what you where meant to do, adventure. The sun high in the sky gives a clear view of the surroundings; to the north you can where the ruins lie you can see the remains of an ancient road, to the west you watch cloud drift in towards you over the waves.

Survival checks, if you want.

The Bushranger
2008-10-13, 09:12 PM
Dani

Dani hums happily along with Alex's playing, feeling light-hearted and happy, and casting her cares to the gentle breeze that blows across the party as they travel.

Survival: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

mephassovar
2008-10-14, 02:22 AM
Kritios

Looking over the lie of the land, Kritios is very aware that he has little experience of combat. I wonder how I would fare against a determined foe...

Should we discuss how we intend to approach these ruins - I have very little experience of these kind of things, but I'm sure there are clever ways of doing these things.

Survival (untrained) [roll0]
Spot (untrained) [roll1]

Fri
2008-10-14, 05:00 AM
Alex

Well, I'm used to ruins. What I'm not used to, is hunting people, outlaw or not. In this case, I think the main concern is the 'hunting bad guys' part. They might pose the greater threat than the ruins itself, if you got my point.

My greatest concern is, if they don't choose this ruin by chance. I mean, they stole a mysterious artifact, then hide themselves in a random unexplored ruin? There is a chance that this ruin had some connection with the jade statue. You know, the usual 'put the jade statue in the pedestal for ultimate arcane power' stuff.

What do you think Darren? You're the experienced bounty hunter. How do you think we should approach them?

Lycar
2008-10-14, 01:15 PM
Darren

Darren doesn't answer for a bit. Then he responds "Cautiously. If they are even halfway competent, they will have sentries overlooking all appraoches to the site. Which means we ought to leave the road quite a while before reaching the ruins."

"Then we need to recon their camp. That means sending scouts ahead to scoop out the layout, count heads and spot any static defenses like nets, snares and pits and such."

"Anyone a trained scout here?"

"And of course, how we actually DO approach them evetually, depends on just how keen you all are on collecting heads. Personally, I'd be happy to collect my share of the 2000 gp without any of them bandits ever knowing we were even there. But unless one of you happens to be a master thief..."

Darren shrugs and falls silent again, marching on.

GM ? We need to find a good place to leave the road before stumbling into any sentries the bandits may have posted.

Lycar

mephassovar
2008-10-14, 01:51 PM
Kritios

Realising that imminent danger could be on the cards, Kritios reaches into his toolbag and removes a strange ball. This ball is silvery in colour and is in constant movement, buzzing with energy. Kritios holds it in the palm of his hand and concentrates for a few seconds. The ball breaks down into some sort of liquid, spreading along Kritios' arm and eventually engulfing his whole body. This takes seconds to complete and leaves him covered head-to-toe in this silvery material. After a few more seconds, it has taken the form of a suit of full-plate armour - unusually soft and liquid looking.

I'm not trained as a scout, but I'm quite good at surviving and would be willing to go if no-one else is better qualified.

What am I doing? Do I want to get myself killed? This is NOT what I'm trained for. F o c u s. That's it. F o c u s. Calm. Cool. This is an experience and I'm going to come out of it having learned something.

The Bushranger
2008-10-14, 06:12 PM
Dani

I'm not much for scouting, but I could give backup getting out if the scout runs into anything.
Dani still looks exceedingly chipper, and has a broad grin on her face as she speaks.

kentma57
2008-10-15, 12:40 PM
GM ? We need to find a good place to leave the road before stumbling into any sentries the bandits may have posted.

After several(eight) hours you come to the edge of a forest. As the sun sets the road is becoming harder and harder to follow.

tonberryking
2008-10-15, 01:30 PM
Acama

"I'm as silent as a cougar on th' prowl, fellows, it nary not matter if I prowl in forests or on stone."

Having been mostly silent beyond what's necessary courtesy (but by dwarf standards), it may then be surprising that Acama speaks up as heavy sandals kick up sod and rocks, she notes the end of the road with a little disdain.

She does looks ready to assume the scouting job for herself, but... "We'll nae get far if we aren't more decisive. I'll go scout ahead, but th' rest of ye be planning a great hullo for the bandits as I'm about.

She looks up at Darren with a warm smirk, having sized him up apparently as she also seems to count him experienced. "What say, ye? You're the one shaping up to be our leader."

Lycar
2008-10-16, 12:56 AM
Darren

Darren seems to be a bit unhappy at the idea of being party leader.

"Uhm. I'm a skilled craftsman and maybe I picked up a thing or two during my bounty-hunting days. But I don't think... well, I assume, as long as we consider entrusting leadership to the most experienced..."

Darren shrugs "Fine. Until we need to do any spelunking or dungeon delving, I'll try to pass myself off as a scout. Speaking of which, we should make camp. Soon it will be too dark to see. At least for us humans. Let's look for a good site."

Darren moves ahead to find a suitable place to set up camp for the night. Although the forest path doesn't seem very clearly marked, Darren is confident they will be able to follow it a bit longer. He did pick up one thing or other during his bounty-hunting days after all...

Lycar

The Bushranger
2008-10-16, 03:21 PM
Dani

Dani can't help but giggle a little at Darren's trying to wiggle out of being leader, but manages to become serious when he mentions settling down for the night.

Yeah, it is getting a little late, isn't it.
She starts looking herself, eyeing various spots with a moderatly-trained eye.

Survival: [roll0]

mephassovar
2008-10-19, 12:57 PM
Kritios

Kritios takes a great interest in the decision making process. He completely understands the need for stealthiness and has a few ideas of his own, but prefers to watch, realising that he might betray his inexperience.

I'm glad this ectoplasmic armour doesn't make any noise. I can probably stay quiet if they ask me. I wonder where they'll choose to make camp? Will they want it to be camouflaged? I could help... Will they want it to look impregnable? Ooh that might work... A strong advance. I've an idea.

I'm sorry that I don't know much about the tactical implications of our approach, but I was wondering. Do we want to be unnoticed, so as to surprise the bandits? Will that work? They do live here after all and if they find us they might not stop until we're killed - they're probably expecting someone to come here and they might even know that there's a price on their heads.

If they're expecting us then we might want to seem stronger than we are. Or more numerous. We could scare them off with a bit of cleverness - I can do some fairly strange things to people and I'm sure some of you have abilities that you haven't shown yet. Maybe if Acama or Darren scout ahead we could make a decision based on that, but I'm not sure that stealth is going to work. They are bandits after all.

During this whole monologue, Kritios shifts about shyly as if he is worried that he might have the wrong end of the stick. Listening to him is not easy. His gestures don't seem natural - he smiles when he should be serious and vice versa.

Fri
2008-10-20, 01:22 AM
Alex

"Or maybe, we think about this too much. Maybe they're just a bunch of lucky small time crooks that ended up in a dangerous ruin by chance. Maybe they're all dead now," says Alex as she prepares her bedroll.

"We'll know when we meet them. There's this legend I got from one of my travel.

Once upon a time, there was a mage who said to be prepared for anything. He prepared a counter for fire monsters, he prepared a defense for physical attack. He had a way to run very fast, he had a way to jump really high.

So one day he met a monk. The mage laughed at the seemingly weak monk but the monk just asked one question.

"They say you're prepared for anything but do you ever prepared yourself for death?" said the monk with his most wise-holy-zen voice.

The mage was so flustered by the question that he slipped on a banana peel (some says prepared by the monk using a 'summon-banana-peel wand' ) and died.

uh... Actually that mage was an idiot and it's a really stupid story, but you got the point."

kentma57
2008-10-20, 08:46 AM
OOC: I'm back, sorry didn't have time to warn you but I was at camp over the weekend. You seem to be doing fine when you have picked a plan, you can move on.

Lycar
2008-10-20, 02:01 PM
Darren

Darren listens to Alex, nodding slightly.

"Heh, that's not how I remember that story."

"Anyway, we still have 2 pr 3 days of travel in front of us. We have a lot of time to make up our minds. Hmm... hey, this place over there looks good enough to set up camp."

Darren goes ahead towards a small clearing in a small depression. Not ideal but as the weather seems to remain dry for the night, good enough.

So he puts down his backpack and pulls out a tent from one of the side pockets of his backpack. Which absolutely positivly could not fit in there.

Oh well, it's magic.

And so Darren goes about to set up his tent.

Lycar

Fri
2008-10-20, 03:26 PM
Alex

"Yeah, I remember it had giant dire badger and there's an explosion somewhere on that story, but I forgot the details"

Lycar
2008-10-20, 04:59 PM
Darren

Darren quirks an eyebrow.

".. uhm? Must be a different story then. Although the one I mean is also anout the foolishness of some wizard. Wanted to evade death, didn't work out quite as planned."

Darren just shrugs and finished setting up his tent.

Then he goes about to pull a blanket from his Hversack, carefully lays it out and then produces a tool kit from another side pocket.

He puts it down, opens it and removes some tools, a bottle of oil, a bottle of alcohol and some rags and carefully places them out in front of him.

After finishing his preparation, Darren produces two strange objects from below his coat, where they were hidden until now.

They look a lot like one of those hand-crossbows. Except, they are missing the 'bow' part. Instead, they are slightly longer and seem to have some kind of lever mechanism attached to them.

He proceeds to unscrew the back end of each of those devices and removes a spring out of every weapon (at least that is what you presume it is). The next step is to meticulously clean and oil the springs and the mechanics of the two devices.

After finishing this tasks, he re-assemles and puts them away under his coat again. Then he goes about to disassemble his mask. He takes out a sort of mesh, made from very fine strands of some strange metal and cleans that with the alcohol too, before reassembling the mask again and stowing away all his tools.

And finally, Darren takes out a piece of wood, that looks like a half-finished figure of a horse, and a carving knife and begins to silently and deliberately chip away at the wood.

Lycar

mephassovar
2008-10-21, 07:37 AM
Kritios

Kritios volunteers to take the first watch in the night and stays up a little with Darren. Not fully understanding that Darren might not want to be disturbed, far less taught a lesson, Kritios takes his own tools and a piece of wood.

That's very interesting, Darren, but you need to improve your technique. Try longer and smoother strokes... that's good. Have you ever thought of soaking the wood first? I find wet carving can be a little easier.

He continues in this line until Darren goes to bed or tells him to leave him alone. Kritios has never had a pupil and he clearly enjoys the chance to pass on some of his skills.

It's so important to do it manually every so often - keeps me in touch with my materials.

The Bushranger
2008-10-21, 12:43 PM
Dani

The small girl listens intently to Alex's story with a goofy grin, enjoying the tale as it helps the time and distance go past.

When they reach their campsite, she pulls a tent out of her own haversack and sets it up while quietly humming to herself. It might be noted that she selects a spot as far away from the campfire as she can safely be...

After munching on some cheese and offering to take the last watch before morning, she heads into her tent and slips into her bedroll, quickly falling asleep.

Lycar
2008-10-21, 02:03 PM
Darren

That's very interesting, Darren, but you need to improve your technique. Try longer and smoother strokes... that's good. Have you ever thought of soaking the wood first? I find wet carving can be a little easier.

Darren looks at Kritios blankly for a moment, as if not sure how to react.
"I'm carving a statuette, not planing a table. Details need small cuts. And if you wet the wrong sort of wood, it warps."

"Besides, it's more of a hobby. Something to calm one's nerves and give your hands and fingers something to do."

Darren whittles away at his little statue a bit longer, silently. Then he volunteers some more information.

"I'm from a family of carpenters. Father is a carpenter, grandfather was a carpenter... you get the idea. I just was always very sickly as a child. Caughed a lot. We thought it was the sawdust. Well, turned out we were half right."

Darren looks up at Kritios "Do you have any idea just how much dust there is in a city? Or even a house? You think out here is dirty? People get hayfever from pollen, I don't mind. Some people get a rash from wood chips and sawdust. It doesn't bother me. But dust... it's everywhere in a house. A city is ... just... full of it! Everywhere! I can't get a single breath of clean air in a house. Outside maybe, in a small village, but a town? No chance. Do you think I'm wearing this mask for looks? I wish..."

Darren falls silent again and keeps on carefully carving away at his little statuette. Untill his watch is over and he climbs inside his tent to get some sleep.

Lycar

kentma57
2008-10-21, 06:20 PM
Night falls on the party and a watch is established, conversations continue into the night(feel free to post them) and the night passes mostly without incident.

The Bushranger
2008-10-23, 01:16 AM
Not entirely without incident...

As some time around midnight, those close to Dani's tent might become aware that she's at first talking in her sleep...

...then screaming.

mephassovar
2008-10-23, 01:22 AM
Kritios

Kritios is not the sort that can hear a scream in the night and put it down to a bad dream. He wakes, sits bolt upright and quietly walks over to Dani's tent. Sticking his head in (with no thought for decency), he enquires,

Is everything alright, Dani? I heard you screaming and thought that something might have conquered your mind.

As is often the case in these situations, Kritios is innappropriately smiling.

The Bushranger
2008-10-23, 12:38 PM
Dani

Dani is sitting bolt upright in bed, eyes wide and trembling, with tears streaming down her cheeks.
It was...a nightmare...I was being burned alive...

mephassovar
2008-10-23, 12:54 PM
Kritios

Trying his very best to be sympathetic, Kritios attempts to soothe Dani

Now, Now... There's no need to be frightened. You're not on fire, I can assure you. Do you like chocolates? I think they tend to help people with nightmares.

Kritios performs the same trick as with the pole, but this time his open palm recieves a beautiful wooden box with a mother-of-pearl inlay.

Here you are. They won't make you put on weight, so feel free to eat them all.

Inside are some exotic tasting chocolates and fine confectionery. Kritios leaves the tent and returns to his own rest.

Minor Creation can produce chocolates! They provide no sustenance (disappear after 5 hours) but surely that's an advantage. Sculpting check if required, is [roll0]

The Bushranger
2008-10-23, 12:58 PM
Dani

Dani manages a weak smile and accepts the box with a shaking hand.
T-thank you.
After consuming the offered sweets, she decides to stay up, rather than risk having another vivid nightmare. So vivid it seemed it was truly real, like a memory...

She climbs out of her tent and leans against the tentpole, looking around quietly.

Lycar
2008-10-24, 01:29 PM
Darren

Darren doesn't awake apparently. At least it remains still inside his tent.

Lycar

kentma57
2008-10-26, 10:21 PM
cough... cough...

So unless you object the remaining two days of travel will pass without incident and you start up here...

The ground slowly begins to slope upwards, on the hill ahead you find a path you can tell that compared to the surounding area it has been used recently. What tracks you can find seem to go up the hill...

Lycar
2008-10-27, 11:20 AM
Darren

Darren spots the trail and raises his hand to signal the party to stop. He is no expert tracker but he picked up a bit or two over the years.

"Right... this looks like a good place to start going cross-country. So to speak. I should probably take point from here on. Anybody going to accompany me?"

While he talks, Darren takes out his two hand'crossbows', c0cks them and inserts a crossbow bolt in the front of the 'muzzle' before sticking them away again.

Lycar

mephassovar
2008-10-27, 02:36 PM
Kritios

I shall accompany you, Darren. I don't know the way, but I think it is best that I learn as much from this experience as possible so that I may be useful later.

Kritios is still in his otherworldly armour and has a very definite air about him. He seems to have resolved himself to put what he has learned about combat into practice and that means following people like Darren onto unknown hillsides.

Fri
2008-10-27, 08:06 PM
Alex

"You said that you're not used to it, aren't you? Maybe it's better if you watch our back here. Let me scout with Darren."

Alex fixes her leather hat and tiptoes toward the wilderness with Darren.

mephassovar
2008-10-28, 02:25 AM
Kritios

Hmmm... Very interesting. If I want to do something with these people in future, I must be more assertive. Minor personality alteration. I do hope those firey blasts I've been practicing are effective...

Kritios remains with the majority of the group and says to no-one in particular,

They're going to scout - this is a very important job. I'm going to stay with you because I'm good at that.

Good.

The Bushranger
2008-10-28, 08:40 AM
Dani

After looking slightly askance at Kritios, Dani turns back to the others.
Well, I can go with you or stay here, it depends on how many people you're taking scouting...?
...and she gives up the facade, bouncing up and down a bit wiht eagerness.
I'll go, I can make a good scout. Please?

Lycar
2008-10-28, 12:53 PM
Darren

Darren looks between Kritios and Dani for a moment.

"... It takes two to flank someone. And backup is nice to have. But before we leave: Has any of you ever killed someone before?"

Lycar

The Bushranger
2008-10-29, 01:40 AM
Dani

Barring last night's nightmare, for the first time since they all met, the cheerful, happy expression departs from Dani's face.

No, it doesn't depart.

It flees.

She looks down at the ground for a moment, her shoulders slouching, before she speaks up in a small, weak voice.

Yes.

mephassovar
2008-10-29, 01:55 AM
Kritios

Kritios is about to speak when Dani makes her confession. He stops himself to observe Dani's behaviour, now, what is that called again... oh... guilt! that's the one.

Kritios tries his best to adopt a guilty expression and says:

No, in all my 153 years I have not killed anyone.

Now why would that be important, I wonder... Do they think I won't be able to kill if necessary?

I'm happy to kill if necessary.

Kritios smiles.

Fri
2008-10-29, 09:47 AM
Alex

Alex's mouth goes agape. She then scratches her chin. This Kritios sounds interesting What did she know about his kind? Almost nothing actually. She mingles a lot with humans, elves, dwarves, even goblins and orcs (she even can, and want to translate an orcish sonnet if she can find one in a ruin somewhere) but she never actually travel with, whatever kind of civilization Kritios came from. He looks more or less human, but there's just something wrong. She wishes that she used last night to make a travelling journal and chat with his colleagues as she used to do instead of sleeping.

"Um, although killing and adventuring goes almost side by side, I think I prefer to have killing as last resort. But at least you got enthusiasm."

She also notices the awkward mood around Dani.

"Uh, let us just start the scouting, right."

Lycar
2008-10-29, 11:20 AM
Darren

Darren stares at Kritios for a while.

"... Just remember: If you are ready to kill, you better also be ready to die. Personally? I'm quite contend to earn the reward for the statue and won't go out of my way to collect heads. So as far as I'm concerned, any bounties we collect on the side are accidental."

"Okay Dani, hang back a bit and watch our backs. Some clever guys might get the idea to sneak behind us while we are buisy looking for traps and sentries."

Nodding at the others, Darren turns around and starts making his way up the hill. He was wondering about that Kritios guy. And if Dani would hold up, should they find themselves being ambushed. But then again, if everything else failed, at least he could run pretty fast.

Darren moves at 1/2 possible speed to gain full benefit from Moving Silently.

Lycar

The Bushranger
2008-10-29, 11:49 AM
Dani

Dani nods, a little of her enthuiasm returning, and prepares to move out.

kentma57
2008-10-30, 06:24 PM
As you wander up the hill, carefuly steping through the bush, you are struck by how easy it is. Not a single trap and not a single guard; as you break through the trees you come to a small overgrown clearing. In the center a ruins stand, weathered by time, all the remains is a set of stairs decending into the darkness.

tonberryking
2008-10-30, 06:58 PM
Acama

The dwarf refained from talking about her kills in the past, lest she distance herself even further by the admission she's killed plenty with her bare hands. However she does eye Kritios as if in disapproval. Instead she just follows after the bunch, reducing her own speed as well to guard the rear, whether asked to or not.

Fri
2008-10-30, 10:24 PM
Alex

Alex look everywhere for sentries or anything unusual.

"Darren, do you think it's really safe here?"

[roll0] for spot

Lycar
2008-10-31, 12:59 PM
Darren

Darren looks around, trying to spot any sentries or traps but failing o detect any.

"... If someting look oo good to be true it usually isn't... wait here."

Darren pulls out his two 'crossbows', one in each hand, takes a deep breath and then dashes across the clearing with surprising speed to stop and crouch down near the entrance.

He waits just a moment to listen for any movement, then turns the corner in a quick movement, his weapons held out in front of him.

I'll take a chance and assume that there is nobody left up here?

Nothing.

Darren looks around a bit, then he gets up and returns to his companios.

"Okay. Seems to be clear up here. Someone go back and get the others. Seems like we get to explore those ruins after all."

Lycar

kentma57
2008-10-31, 01:30 PM
Alex you do not see anything out of the ordinary.

Fri
2008-10-31, 02:54 PM
Alex

Alex then moves to the open and stand in front of the ruin's entrance. She puts one hand on her chin, and another on her hip, staring directly to the ruin and the darkness in front of her.

"Well, this is a bit unusual, isn't it? Though, never bounty hunt before, so I wouldn't know.

This makes me remember a legend about another ruins I stumbled a long time ago. The locals said that it's a man-eating, living ruin. They said that once upon a time there were some local bandits trying to make it as their hideout. They're never heard again."

The Bushranger
2008-10-31, 03:40 PM
Dani

Ah yes, and that tale just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Dani keeps an eye out as she goes to fetch the others.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

mephassovar
2008-11-01, 01:23 AM
Kritios

Thankyou for coming back to fetch us says Kritios to Dani as she arrives. He hastily follows her to the clearing and takes a look around.

On seeing the stairs going down into oblivion, Kritios seems to ponder for a moment. I have heard stories about these sorts of situations. Someone goes down the stairs and a giant axe swings into them or a hiding troll jumps out at them. I wonder...

I suggest that I summon, with my mind, a being of psychic energy to test this stairway. I'm worried that there may be something hidden, waiting to strike at anyone who walks down.

Waiting until all the others are in the clearing with him, Kritios begins to manifest. It is very fast this time, a moments concentration and what looks like a small statue of a centaur with great ram-like horns appears onn the ground in front of Kritios. Like the pole he conjured back in the town, it seems to have congealed from the air as some sort of liquid at first and even now it doesn't seem to be truly solid.

It gallops off at some speed towards the entrance and disappears down the stairs.

Kritios manifests Astral Construct (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralConstruct.htm), choosing not to augment it (1PP). Kritios chooses Buff and Deflection as its special abilities. A lvl 1 Agile Loper is formed with the following statistics:

{table]N Small Construct
Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Listen +0, Spot +0
AC 19, touch 14, flat-footed 17; Mobility
hp 20 (1HD)
Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +0
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares)
Melee slam +3 (1D4+3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +2; Grp -1
Abilities Str 13, Dex 15, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 10
SQ construct traits
Feats mobility
Skills Listen +0, Spot +0 [/table]

Kritios directs his astral construct to enter the stairwell and walk down making sure that it places a hoof on each step. It is to continue going down until it meets an enemy, where it should engage in melee, or until it fades back into ectoplasm 5 rounds later.

kentma57
2008-11-01, 12:53 PM
As you creature decends the steps you come to a large stone door. As it pushes on the doors you find that they swing easily; a hall opens up infront of you. With what light still shines in from behind you, you can make out a a mural carved on the far wall and steps of to the right.

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/4200/part1area1vl6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Lycar
2008-11-01, 01:04 PM
Darren

Darren looks as the very air takes shape and starts moving down the stairs.

"... Sure don't mind that thing finding any traps for us. Although the bandits ought to have found them first..."

Darren fishes his breathing mask out of his pack again and puts it on.

"... It will be dusty down there..."

Then he draws his weapons again.

"Fine then. Seems like it's me taking point then." he says with just a bit of fatalism and begins to go down the stairs.

"I need some light here. I've got both hands full."

Lycar

Fri
2008-11-01, 01:51 PM
Alex

Alex uses her everburning torch to lit up the corridor. "What's with you and dust anyway?"

She then walks slightly behind darren.

"I wonder what was this place's purpose" She said, as she keeps her eye on the mural.

So... can you describe the mural? Tell me if i need to roll something

kentma57
2008-11-01, 02:23 PM
So... can you describe the mural? Tell me if i need to roll something

knowledge religion.

The mural depicts two beings clashing, spiraling around the world(the bit in the center) As they spiral around the world each sends down a collum of light. One strikes a man while the other strikes a mountain.

The Bushranger
2008-11-01, 07:14 PM
A little dust never killed anyone. Dani is back to her normal cheerful self as they head downstairs, and once there she steps up to study the mural as well.

Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]

Lycar
2008-11-02, 09:02 AM
Alex

Alex uses her everburning torch to lit up the corridor. "What's with you and dust anyway?"

Darren frowns "It's everywhere. Everywhere where people are anyway. I can't breathe when there is dust in the air. My family are carpenters. We thought it was the sawdust. Not so. Sawdust doesn't bother me. Or pollen. No problem. But dust..."

Darren peers around the corner carefully.

"Dust never killed anyone? Hah! Dust can even explode if there is enough of it in the air. There was this mill once... well okay, that was flour. But it's the same principle."

Finding no immediate threat, Darren relaxes a bit and takes a look at the mural himself.

Lycar

Fri
2008-11-02, 01:40 PM
Alex

(eh, what the heck) Meanwhile, Alex examines the mural more closely,
looking for any sign if there's anything unusual or if it hid something.

knowledge religion [roll0]
bardic knowledge [roll1]
search [roll2]

kentma57
2008-11-02, 03:03 PM
Dani You recognize the mural as depicting the story of the 'Mad God' Vala-Cana-Resh and his clash with the God of Order Malar. Their powers balanced they clash through eternity, one tries to rule the world the other tries to stop him. In the ageless past they each sent down some of their power, creating aspects of themselves to forward their goals. Sadly all other information is lost to history.

Alex Two small groves(on the floor) run down from the metal mural to the doors. You also note that the edges of the mural to not conect to the surounding walls, instead they curve away from you becoming fluch with the wall.

As Alex touches the mural it suddenly shifts and begins to move forward toward the entrance of the ruins. It moves slowly at first but quickly gains speed.

Fri
2008-11-02, 09:42 PM
Alex

How big is the mural? I assume it's as big as the wall/corridor

"Guys, it seems that there's some kind of grooves here. I bet it's for moving the mu..."

and it moves

"Crap on a rope."

Alex tries to dash toward the steps before the way is blocked completely by the moving mural.

"Hurry, before the way is completely blocked!" she says to her remaining comrades.

If she made it, what's behind the mural?

The Bushranger
2008-11-03, 09:15 AM
The way I read it, the mural doesn't move to block the stairs.
It moves to block the doors.
Y'know, the way we came in...and the way out?
:smalleek:

Dani

Dani nods as she looks over the mural. I recognise this, it shows the battle of Vala-can-Resh and Malar, and...

She trails off, dumbfounded, as the mural starts to move.
Alex, what did you do?!

She sprints forwards to try and catch the mural and try and stop it...A little help here guys!

Strength check: [roll0]
...and the mere slip of a girl rolls a natural 20 on her STR check...

kentma57
2008-11-03, 09:28 AM
Ok, to make it clear. The mural makes up the entire far wall (aka the size of the hall) and is moving down the hall towards you. If it continues you belive all access to the steps(actualy you can see there are no more than fours steps and that they decend into a dark hall) and eventual push you back to the doors.

-The moving wall makes quite a bit of noise.

-Dani you are unable to stop the wall.

-If you still need clarification, when I get home I will post a new map.

-Alex you do make it, but as far as you can tell the wall is one large piece of metal with no end in site.

ps: Sorry that should have been Vala-Cana-Resh.

Lycar
2008-11-03, 01:26 PM
Darren

Darren frowns as the mural starts moving. He quickly does some calcualtions in his head, then reaches for his pack to pull out something.

Trying to Disable Device the moving wall, preferably before it blocks the exit. Maybe he pulls out a bag of caltrops and hopes they manage to jam the mechanism/wall.

Disable Device: [roll0]

If that fails, maybe his training as a mechanic gives him an idea?

Profession (Mechanic): [roll1]

Lycar

kentma57
2008-11-04, 07:02 AM
Apart from wondering what will happen if an infinite force hits an imoveable object, Darren accomplishes nothing.

Fri
2008-11-04, 10:33 AM
Alex

"Leave that mural alone and follow me to the steps or this adventure will end sooner than we'd like!"

Lycar
2008-11-04, 12:54 PM
Darren

Darren already stands at the top of the stairs leading down. Therefore...

"So, you coming or shold I haul my behind topside? Three, two, one..."

Lycar

The Bushranger
2008-11-04, 03:08 PM
Dani

Rule Two, you never, never touch anything!
Dani gives up trying to stop the trap, and springs for the stairs as fast as she can.

mephassovar
2008-11-04, 03:22 PM
Kritios

Well, this Alex seems to know what he's doing.

Kritios dives for the stairwell, anxious that that he does the right thing.

kentma57
2008-11-04, 07:04 PM
I will asume the rest of the party follows suit...

The stairway is sealed behind you with a loud bang, cut of from the surface, you are forced to rely on your torches. This new hall is 30ft long ending in another set of doors. 15ft down the hall another hall branches of to the right, 25ft down on the right there is a statue on the left what looks like a tapestry.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4696/part1map2zb2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

The Bushranger
2008-11-04, 07:20 PM
Dani

Dani pulls out her torch and lights it, looks around, then gives Alex the look.
I swear, if you go anywhere near that tapestry, I shall have to harm you.

Fri
2008-11-04, 09:21 PM
Alex
(I put a wall of text to cover a couple of update I guess)

"Sorry guys. There goes our easy way out..." Alex sighs

She then pouts a little, hearing Dani's comment. "But that's what I do. I poke at strange things at ancient ruins. But okay, I see your point. I'll try to keep my hand away as much as possible."

She then takes a deep breath. "Here it is. Here's where I belong. Though I really prefer if our way out is open." Pulling her goggles from above her hat and putting it on her eyes, she seems a bit more confident.

Holding her torch above her head and trying not to touch anything, Alex examines the statue and the tapestry. "Dani, you're going to say something about the mural previously?"
search [roll0] for statue
search [roll1] for tapestry

and could you describe the statue and the tapestry?

"And this is strange. I thought our bounties are going to greet us as soon as we enter this place. But I can't find even a bit of their track. "

The Bushranger
2008-11-05, 08:44 AM
Dani

Dani gives Alex a smile that indicates her earlier comment wasn't serious. Well, not totally anyway. Seems her natural cheerfulness has returned.

She's short, skinny, psionic, and seems to be permamently on happy pills, that's Dani in a nutshell.

She takes a deep breath and nods at the bard's question. Yeah. When I was recovering at the temple I did some studying, and I recognised that scene. That was the eternal battle of Vala-Cana-Resh and Malar, each trying to rule the world and creating mortal, or semi-mortal, aspects to help each other. She shrugs. Unfortunatly that's all the information there was on the subject, really.

Dani pauses for a moment to collect the memories that have been dredged up, then steps over to assist Alex in apprasing the tapestry.

Assist Anothers
Statue: [roll0]
Tapestry: [roll1]

Lycar
2008-11-05, 12:26 PM
Darren

Darren quickly moves down the stairs to make place for the rest of the team.

When the block of wall has settled down and definitly cut off the easy way out, Darren goes on to look about.

"Just let the people who know how to look for traps prod frst. Speaking of which..."

Darren will aid the team effort to look for more traps: [roll0]

Lycar

kentma57
2008-11-05, 02:30 PM
First please look at my last post, it was updated.

For those looking at the statue.
To your right is an alcove in which resides a small statute in the form of a human figurine. The statue is unremarkable, though it might have some artistic value. Unfortunately, the statue obviously cannot be removed from its base without damage, and its base looks like it weighs a ton.

To those looking at the tapestry.
Ancient and moldy, you can tell it was once of great value. Saddly time has taken its toll.
AlexExamining back of the tapestry, you notice that while the stone work behind it is a perfect match to the wall around it, something is off.

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/8052/part1map3yk5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

EDIT: Yes, that oddly colored block above the turn is a door and the spot where and the spot where the wall hall just ends means that it continues on but you can't see that spot(AKA around a corner).

Lycar
2008-11-06, 01:07 PM
Darren

Darren peers down the corridor.

"Hm. Let's see if it's safe down the corridor before we do any appraising. Some light please?"

Darren waits for someone to provide light, then sneaks up to the corner, only to suddenly turn arund to face down the corridor leading west and ready to waste any targets with his crossbows shoot any hostiles.

Lycar

kentma57
2008-11-09, 07:12 PM
Sorry for the delay...

As Darren leaps down the corridor he sees...

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5695/part1map4dl6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Fri
2008-11-10, 01:35 AM
Alex

"Hm..."

Alex picks a magnifying glass from his backpack.

"There's something off about the wall behind the tapestry guys. I have three theory,

1.It's a hidden door.
2.The tapestry was here for so long that it changed the color of the wall behind it.
3.It's another trap."

Alex looks at it more closely with her magnifying glass
second search attempt. d20+10

She extends her hand, ready to give the wall a few solid knock and pushes before she remember what happened previously.

But after a few seconds, she shrugs.

"What's the chance that I activate two traps at once eh?"

(Well, she'll wait for her second search attempt before knocking it though)

Fri
2008-11-10, 01:37 AM
I fail at rolling dice

[roll0]

I fail at rolling dice

"Darren, could you look at this patch of wall? Do you think it's trapped?"

The Bushranger
2008-11-10, 07:03 AM
Dani

Dani turns from her inspection of the statue and rolls her eyes at Alex.
I dunno, is it a million-to-one chance? If it is...
The tiny redhead shakes her head, smirking, and steps forwards to help out with the trap inspection.

Appraise (on the statue): [roll0]
then:
[b]Search (Aid Another): [roll1]

Lycar
2008-11-10, 12:59 PM
Darren

Darren peers down the corridor but only sees it coming to an end at another door.

"Hm. Just two doors here."

Then he hears Alex.

"Hmm ? Sure thing, let me take a look."

And so Darren goes and inspects the wall himself.

Hoping for a good roll here: Search [roll0]

"Of course we could take our sweet time and look really close..."

Lycar

Fri
2008-11-10, 01:57 PM
Alex[
"But where's the fun on that"

She steps back and look at the tapestry with one hand on her chin.

"I wonder..."

She knocks the wall at various place, looking for sign of hidden compartment or door..

kentma57
2008-11-10, 07:36 PM
After extensive searching you all reach the same comclution as Alex, though you are fairly certain there is something there.

Dani
The statue is unremarkable, though it might have some artistic value. Unfortunately, the statue obviously cannot be removed from its base without damage, and its base looks like it weighs a ton.

Lycar
2008-11-11, 02:34 AM
Darren

Darren examines the statue himself but finds nothing out of order. "If there is anything hidden here, it is hidden well. But there are two doors down that corridor. We should check those out now."

And so Darren turns around again and walks up to the first door, pressing his ear against it (or possibly a keyhole) to listen for any sounds.

Lycar

Fri
2008-11-11, 09:49 AM
Alex

"You got some point"

Alex leaves her knocking and stand beside the door, ready to support Darren.

kentma57
2008-11-11, 08:25 PM
Unfortunately Darren, you hear nothing.

The Bushranger
2008-11-12, 12:56 AM
Dani

Dani follows the others, ready in case something comes through the door at them...

Lycar
2008-11-12, 02:39 AM
Darren

Darren checks the door for traps and then tries to open it.

GM rolls search here I assume. If it is locked:

With a sigh, Darren pulls out a toolkit from his backpack "Well, that would have been too easy ..."

Open Lock: [roll0]

If this doesn't seem to work, Darren will take 20.

Lycar

kentma57
2008-11-12, 07:31 PM
Darren

Darren checks the door for traps and then tries to open it.

GM rolls search here I assume. If it is locked:

With a sigh, Darren pulls out a toolkit from his backpack "Well, that would have been too easy ..."

Open Lock: [roll0]

If this doesn't seem to work, Darren will take 20.

Lycar

1. the door is unlocked
2. you can't take 20 on open lock

3. The floor of this room is strewn with bits and splinters of wood. Two sconces (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Sconce.jpg/450px-Sconce.jpg) are set into the walls. Otherwise the room appears empty.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/788/part1map5vq6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Fri
2008-11-12, 09:32 PM
Alex

Alex take a quick search and spot around the room, hand ready in her weapon.
search
[roll1] spot

If nothing looks dangerous, she'll appraise the sconce!

The Bushranger
2008-11-13, 12:02 PM
Dani

Wow, those are pretty...
Dani carefully studies the room, wondering where the broken wood came from.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Search: [roll2]

kentma57
2008-11-13, 07:48 PM
Examining the room you notice two things out of place, one of the flagstones is loose and moves when stepped upon, and that one of the sconces swivels on its bracket.

ps: the sconces do not look to valuable though they could fetch you a bit if you can find the right buyer(aka: someone with a lot of stone work).

Lycar
2008-11-14, 07:56 AM
Darren

Darren watches as Dani examines the room. He is quite content to let someone else take the risk of finding a trap the hard way. When she discovers the movable flagstone and sconces, he remarks: "I wonder if this is connected to the blocking trap upstairs. Maybe a way to reset it? We should try to figure this out."

So Darren is thinking about it. Maybe he can come up with something? Want me to roll Disable Device or Profession (Mechanic) or anything?

Lycar

The Bushranger
2008-11-14, 11:38 AM
Dani

That or it could be an entirely new trap altogether. I'd guess that one's a trap and the other is a way out...what do you think, Alex?

kentma57
2008-11-14, 02:07 PM
So Darren is thinking about it. Maybe he can come up with something? Want me to roll Disable Device or Profession (Mechanic) or anything?

Lycar

If you think it is appropriate roll it.

Frog Dragon
2008-11-14, 03:52 PM
Krone

"OW!" "My Head!" "What's going on?"
Assuming I'm not bound and if i am

I will inspect the contents of the bag on the other side of the room. I take the time to don my armor decently (4 minutes) I put my items on their respective places and pick up my shield and dwarven waraxe.

E: Me fail forum roller big time
I forgot. You can't edit.

Frog Dragon
2008-11-14, 04:01 PM
My escape artist check

[roll0]

Lycar
2008-11-14, 04:04 PM
If you think it is appropriate roll it.

(When in doubt, use the lower score then...)

"Hrm, let me see if I can figure this out..."

Darren goes and takes a very close look at the mechanics involved here, even gently moving the sconce on it's mount to carefully feel for any resistance that might indicate he's about to trigger something.

Then he does the same for the movable flagstone.

Disable Device [roll0]

Lycar

Fri
2008-11-14, 04:38 PM
Alex

Alex was just appraising the cool looking sconce when she heard a mysterious new voice. She draws her whip

"What!? Who are you and where did you came from!" she says to the yowling dwarf.

"Crap, not only moving murals, this place also got the fabled springing-dwarf trap!"

Frog Dragon
2008-11-15, 04:57 AM
Krone

"I be Krone" Krone says after regaining his composure over the shock of waking up in a dungeon. These people mean no harm. And as a matter of fact I need these people "I was knocked out by some people I found trying to enter the ruins. I offered to help them, but they knocked me out and dumped me here!" "So could ye help me out here" "I don't know where the heck I am, but I can be of use. I am an arcanist and a warrior of some skill." "If there be any danger in these tunnels I can help."

kentma57
2008-11-15, 08:01 AM
Krone

"I be Krone" Krone says after regaining his composure over the shock of waking up in a dungeon. These people mean no harm. And as a matter of fact I need these people "I was knocked out by some people I found trying to enter the ruins. I offered to help them, but they knocked me out and dumped me here!" "So could ye help me out here" "I don't know where the heck I am, but I can be of use. I am an arcanist and a warrior of some skill." "If there be any danger in these tunnels I can help."

And you are also not in the room as you where sposed to wait until I introduced you.

ps: Don't worry your character has been placed in the dungeon, if you want to wake up and try to escape the ropes you can.(just keep it in spoilers)

Frog Dragon
2008-11-15, 08:11 AM
Sorry. I misunderstood what you said in PM
Well I'll spoiler any further actions

Frog Dragon
2008-11-15, 08:13 AM
[roll0]
I need to get rid of these ropes and get to that bag. Maybe there's some equipement in that bag.

kentma57
2008-11-15, 12:22 PM
[roll0]
I need to get rid of these ropes and get to that bag. Maybe there's some equipement in that bag.

Sorry no dice.

Lycar
2008-11-15, 09:21 PM
Darren

(So, as there is no actual Dwarf here.)

"Hrmph, seems like I can't figure this out without more time. Oh well, maybe we should just let these things be for now and check out the other door."

Darren seems to be a bit frustrated. Did he spend all these years learning mechanics, only to be fooled by .. such a contraption?

Better stick to doors for the time being. After all, hinges are easy and locks are just specialised mechanical devices.

And so Darren approaches the end of the corridor and listens at the door before giving it a good look-over (search for traps) and trying the handle.

"All right, let's see what we have here..."

Lycar

The Bushranger
2008-11-15, 11:53 PM
Dani stands ready in case something jumps out at them when the handle is turned.

Frog Dragon
2008-11-16, 03:15 AM
Damn it! I have to get rid of these bindings.
I wriggle continuously (Taking 20 on my escape artist) in order to get free.

kentma57
2008-11-16, 10:31 AM
As the door swings open you see the last(or the first) thing you expected to see, a dwarf, tied up, and actualy managing to get out of the ropes...

mephassovar
2008-11-16, 11:03 AM
Kritios

Kritios has been following the others around the dungeon, conscious that he doesn't know much about traps and hidden passageways. On sighting this dwarf, Kritios realises that he has come across a situation he can deal with...

Ready to kill when appropriate, hmmm
Hold your ground, dwarf, or I'll do something indescribable to you! [to the others] He's not what he seems, this is a trap.

Readied action to manifest Mind Thrust at the dwarf if he moves towards us.

Lycar
2008-11-16, 11:18 AM
Darren

Darren looks over at Kritios, head tilted slightly.

"Soo... what does this look like to you and what kind of trap this actually is then?"

Lycar

mephassovar
2008-11-16, 11:31 AM
Kritios

Kritios makes his best attempt at a frown and explains himself:

This might appear to be an enemy of those we have been sent to pursue, tied up and left here, but there are a few inconsistencies. For a start, we might presume that he has been here for some time, but he only appears to have mastered his escape from these ropes just now. Is that not strangely coincidental? It is like sculpting. For the mean time, please stay there, dwarf, whilst we decide what to do with you.

Frog Dragon
2008-11-16, 12:38 PM
Krone

What?! Krone almost says out loud. I be no trap!
I cast Swift Expeditious retreat "Keo'Naiei Kesh!" and jump [roll0] for the bag. I pick up my Shield and Axe and turn to face the others.

Lycar
2008-11-16, 04:54 PM
Darren

"I see."

Darren notices the dwarf rushing to rearm himself, he changes his posture slightly, his hands now hovering near the handles of his strange weapons.

"Well my good Sir dwarf, it would certainly help your case if you left your hands off that axe unless you told us your story..."

So what Darren WANTS to do is to quickdraw one of his Derrengers and shoot a bolt at the axe, as soon as the stranger tries to pick it up.

Not to sunder it, just to knock the handle out of reach when he, well, reaches for it. As in: Prevent him from picking it up. Yeah I know, the rules don't cover that. So it's a GM call.

Lycar

Frog Dragon
2008-11-16, 05:16 PM
Krone

Krone hears the speech, rolls beside the axe, picks up the shield and covers himself. "I was knocked out and dumped here by some hooded people and just managed ta get free"

Lycar
2008-11-16, 07:01 PM
Darren

Darren finds himself in the unfamiliar position of apparently being the designated party face.

"Well? Do go on? WHERE did you meet them? WHY are you even here? Why didn't they just slit your throat? How many were they? How are they armed and equipped? Did you overhear them say anything about a golden horse statuette?"

Lycar

Frog Dragon
2008-11-17, 01:16 AM
"I heard nothing about no statuette. I met them by the ruins, Outside. They "told" me what for they were trying to enter the ruins. Lied ta me obviously. T'was no pilgrimage! I don't know why didn't they kill me and I'm wondering why did they leave my equipment here. Wouldn't they know that if I got free I'd then be roamin aroun e're fully armed. Frankly their obviously up to no good and i'd be very happy if I could return the favor to those mongrels." "Who are you?"

Fri
2008-11-17, 08:58 AM
Alex

"Eh. Not a trap guys. But definitely a dwarf"

Alex lowers her whip.

"We're your run-of-the-mill ragtag band of misfit adventurer. Sent here to look for something.

We're kind of... trapped here, since, eh, I accidentally activate a trap back there near the entrance. And we even left one of our member outside. Wait, why I don't know anything about a golden horse statuette?"?"

kentma57
2008-11-17, 09:12 AM
So what Darren WANTS to do is to quickdraw one of his Derrengers and shoot a bolt at the axe, as soon as the stranger tries to pick it up.

Not to sunder it, just to knock the handle out of reach when he, well, reaches for it. As in: Prevent him from picking it up. Yeah I know, the rules don't cover that. So it's a GM call.

By the sounds of it the axe was knocked away.

mephassovar
2008-11-17, 09:49 AM
Kritios

Kritios backs down, reluctantly. The low pitched hum of his manifestation diminuendos to nothing and no harm comes to Krone. He is still very unsure about the newcomer but yields to the group's greater experience.

Jade monkeys? Golden horses? Is this site perhaps some ancient shrine to sculpture? I have heard of such places in my own culture but they are nothing like this.

Frog Dragon
2008-11-17, 10:30 AM
Krone
Krone seems shocked at Alex's comment, then his face starts gaining a reddish hue as he yells "You did WHAT??!!" He calms down muttering. Bloody fool, Now we're stuck here. "If we're stuck here, then I'd join up with you." "If there be another way out then we stand a better chance living long enough to find it if we work together." "You mentioned traps and I'd nae be suprised at monsters." "Best tread carefully" he finishes.

mephassovar
2008-11-17, 10:45 AM
Kritios

'Joining up with us'... I think I'll watch this situation carefully.

Kritios looks blankly at Krone, but his eyes are smiling.

Well, if you mean to join us then we should probably make proper introductions. My name is Kritios, a sculpter from a distant land. How should we address you?

Frog Dragon
2008-11-17, 11:09 AM
Just call me Krone"" Krone says as he starts picking up his equipment and donning on his armor. He checks the contents of his spell component pouch and puts it on his belt. He takes his papers and parchments along with his inkpen and stuffs them on a chest pouch in his vest and puts his waterskin on his belt "What kind o idiot's are those people. They left me my flippin MAGIC AXE!" "And this well made armor an shield" "And my Bag of Tricks" "Seriously. I'm fearin I might really be a trap. No one's this stupid"

Lycar
2008-11-17, 01:17 PM
Darren

Darren puts his other crossbow away and, while he calmly reloads the other, says "If there are monsters, we have a whole bunch of bandits scouting ahead for us. If we're lucky, they cancel each other out and we just have to pick up the spoils."

"Now let's check out that other door."

Darren turns around to do just that.

Lycar

Frog Dragon
2008-11-17, 02:22 PM
"Or we're gettin played and their followin us." "Ya know, The axe?" "No one's that stupid, but they just could be that smart. "Anyway if living in tha tunnels for fortyfive years has taught me anything then it's tha fact that unused dungeons tend to get really dusty after a few years." "And this looks old." "So did you see any bootprints aroun'd e're?" "If there were none then it most likely means that they did not go through here, and they be behind us." "We better keep an eye out e're."

Search check: [roll0]

The Bushranger
2008-11-17, 02:29 PM
Dani

Having stayed quiet all this time, the tiny redhead finally steps forwards.
'Tiny' as in 'probably no taller than the dwarf is'...
Hi, my names Dani, trap or not I'm glad we found you. After bard-brain over here - the grin that comes along with this indicates she's just teasing - got us stuck in here we need all the help we can get.

She then heads across to help Darren with the checking.

Search: [roll0]

kentma57
2008-11-17, 08:55 PM
Unfortunately in all the excitment any tracks have been lost, though you have yet to open that last set of doors...

ps: right I have yet to decribe the room

A large capstan occupies this room; iron spokes project outwardly from a central stone wheel around which is wrapped a thick but rusty chain. A length of the free end of the chain lies on the ground, trailing off in the direction of the wall to your left(though you quinkly realize it is the back of the mural you encountered earlier). At the end of the chain is a corroded and broken link. In the center of the left wall is a great iron ring through which the chain presumably was fixed.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7130/part1map6nv2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Frog Dragon
2008-11-18, 12:35 AM
I pick up my axe. "Who takes front line?" "I of course could." "I can see decent here and I appear to be the best equipped fer hand to hand fightin.

Fri
2008-11-18, 12:50 AM
Alex

Alex absentmindedly talks to Krone as she studies the chain.

"Well, technically kritios' construct take the point, but sure, you can be the vanguard.

I guess if we can pull this chain our way out will be open. Though with the size of it, I guess it'd be more practical if we dig our way out with spoon."

Frog Dragon
2008-11-18, 02:03 AM
Krone finishes equipping himself and asks "Anyone know their way around locks and gadgets?" Then he looks at Alex and replies "Too bad I haven't picked up one of those strength enhancing spells." "Does any of you control such magic?"

Lycar
2008-11-18, 02:36 AM
Darren

Darren glances at Krone and remarks "I've apprenticed with a gnomish weaponsmith and siege engineer. I'm a trained mechanic. Locks are just specialised mechanical devices."

Taking in the construction of the trap that blocks the entrance, he goes on.
"Hrmph. A chain is only as good as it's weakest link. Seems like that would require some stoneworking and blacksmithing to fix. We're better off exploring this place first. Let's check the double doors then."

And again, Darren proceeds to do just that.

"Oh and if you want to take point, go ahead Krone."

Lycar

Frog Dragon
2008-11-18, 02:45 AM
"Ok, Time to move" Krone puts his shield on his back and axe on his belt. and starts moving.

The Bushranger
2008-11-18, 03:06 AM
Dani

Well, it figures that the way out is broken. Why should we have ever expected anything else?
Dani is rapidly coming to the conclusion that the new dwarf is, in fact, quite mad...

You mean our descendants could dig their way out with spoons, right? She sticks her tongue out playfully at Alex.

Frog Dragon
2008-11-18, 03:36 AM
Krone

"Why do ye think what yer lookin fer is e're?" Krone says quickly changing the subject.

Fri
2008-11-18, 07:30 AM
Alex

Krone's question make Alex stop walking.

"That's a good question," she says with one hand on her chin. "Actually, we don't have any clue, or track, or anything. We seriously never found any track nor our investigation yield any clue. Nada, nein, nothing. Only thing we got is our employer's word..."

Suddenly she feels unease.

Frog Dragon
2008-11-18, 08:08 AM
Krone'

"Well this time your employer might be right." "How many people visit these ruins a month or even a year?" "None is my guess." "So there be a high chance that the same people who decked me out are your culprits" "Ye don't go into this kind of pit without nae reason" "They mentioned something about this ritual before they knocked me out" "Maybe what yer seekin is magical and they need it fer their ritual?." Krone silences and lets the question hang in the air

Lycar
2008-11-18, 02:26 PM
Darren

Darren, meanwhile, cautiously approaches the double door and checks it over, then presses his ear against it to listen for sounds and finally tries to open it.

Lycar

mephassovar
2008-11-18, 03:29 PM
Kritios

Kritios edges up behind Darren. Anticipating what might be behind the door, Kritios focuses on cold thoughts.

I hope my practicing will pay off...

Readied action to manifest Energy Burst should there be waiting foes behind the door

Frog Dragon
2008-11-18, 04:04 PM
Krone sees the others move into position and does so himself too
I move to the door and keep ready to cast my spell through my axe
If there be something I'll show it what the elves taught me

I ready an action to use arcane channelling to cast Shocking grasp through a melee attack.

The Bushranger
2008-11-18, 05:25 PM
Dani

Dani, if she can, will take a position where she isn't right up in front but still has a clear field of fire, and stands ready...

Fri
2008-11-19, 08:45 AM
Alex

Alex stands beside the door, waiting for darren's next move. But it seems that she's still absorbed in her thought. She unloads her whip, and then cross her hand in front of her breast.

"You don't understand. It's true that there are some suspicious guys around here, dwarfnapping random passerby and leaving them tied up with their weapon on reaching distance. I bet that they're also the one that got our mysterious treasure.

But... Don't you see it? Our employer practically sent us here. Eventhough there are no clue, no track, nothing. What if...

Nevermind. Probably just my paranoia."

kentma57
2008-11-19, 01:51 PM
No updates today, must write Java program.

Lycar
2008-11-21, 12:32 PM
Darren

Darren is about to open the door when he realizes that his companions are still shuffling around.

So he waits for them to get into position and THEN opens the door.

Lycar

kentma57
2008-11-21, 06:14 PM
The doors open with a loud groan and a stirring of dust and stale air. A long hall stretches before you, disappearing into the gloom. A layer of dust covers the floor and gauzy cobwebs drape across the walls and corners. Alcoves line both sides of the hall, and in each alcove is what appears to be a stone burial vault. Each vault is a large rectangular stone box laboriously carved with ornate images and runes and sealed with a thick stone slab.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1223/part1map7nf4.th.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=part1map7nf4.jpg)http://img403.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

EDIT: I was having some problems viewing this picture, after you open the link a small bar will apear on the right side of the page. Click it to view the full sized image.(you may not have this problem)

Lycar
2008-11-22, 01:39 AM
Darren

Darren opens the door and peers ahead. He can't see anything causing him alarm, although the possible presence of the restless dead bothers him.

Since the dwarf doesn't seem to spot anything dangerous either, Darren waves at his companions to follow him and he slowly proceeds down the corridor, keeping his eyes peeled as the saying goes.

Lycar

Frog Dragon
2008-11-24, 02:19 PM
Krone

Krone moves to the corridor after Darren moving his shield so It's between him and most of the alcoves.

kentma57
2008-11-24, 10:49 PM
I will give until tomorow for people to post them I move you along.

The Bushranger
2008-11-25, 02:40 AM
Dani

Dani follows Darren down the corridor, looking back and forth between the rows of sarcophagi.
OK, this is pretty creepy. Wonder what's in those things - what do you think, Alex?

Fri
2008-11-25, 06:50 AM
Alex lowers her weapon and follows Dani in.

"Dust. Didn't you say you hate dust Dar?" she says as she grins toward Darren.

"Looking at the carpet of dust, I guess our target aren't here."

She tiptoed across the dust toward the nearest stone slab, trying to make sense of the carving.

"I guess... this is... some sort of ancient coffin?" she says toward Dani. "Wanna open it to make sure?"

d20+ 8 for search
d20+ 10 for knowledge history

Fri
2008-11-25, 06:53 AM
hmh. Rerolling

[roll0] for search
[roll1] for knowledge history

Frog Dragon
2008-11-25, 08:01 AM
Krone

Krone moves next to alex, raises his axe and keeps the words of his spells on his lips

I ready an action to cast shocking grasp through the strike of an axe if there is something in the coffin apart from obvious items.

kentma57
2008-11-25, 10:50 AM
You manage to push the great stone lid of the sarcophagus, you find what you expected a skeleton in long rotted burial clothes. Across its chest you see an old book and a very small leather pouch.

Lycar
2008-11-25, 12:51 PM
Alex lowers her weapon and follows Dani in.

"Dust. Didn't you say you hate dust Dar?" she says as she grins toward Darren.

Darren looks over at Alex with a hint of annoyance "... do you think I'm wearing this thing because of looks? I'd be choking to death without it. I'm not particularly fond of either. But until I find a way to cure my affliction..."

"I guess... this is... some sort of ancient coffin?" she says toward Dani. "Wanna open it to make sure?"

"I'd rather you don't disturb the dead. Won't want to be disturbed by them either. Plus they have that annoying habit of not caring about a bolt to the vitals."

Lycar

The Bushranger
2008-11-25, 12:56 PM
Dani

Pffft. We can handle it!
Dani then helps Alex lift the lid...

See? Nothing jumping out at us, scaredy-cat. She grins at Darren and goes to check over the book.

Lycar
2008-11-25, 05:24 PM
Darren

Darren watches on as Dani ransacks the sacrophagus.

"... You remind me of a bandit we once met. His last words were: 'What are you afraid of? The bushes being full of lawmen?'"

Darren watches a bit more before going on "Technically, they were full of bounty hunters."

Some more pause.

"Actually, his last utterance was more of an agonized 'aaargh...', followed by gurgling noises, as he drowned in his own blood."

Pause.

"But technically, that isn't a word."

Darren waits for Dani to finish her search and then goes back on to examining the other double door.

Lycar

kentma57
2008-11-25, 10:00 PM
Darren waits for Dani to finish her search and then goes back on to examining the other double door.

The ones at the end of the hall?

Fri
2008-11-26, 12:41 AM
Alex

Alex grins.

"You can be a good archaeologist, Dani."

"This is for knowledge, old skellie." she says before starting to mucking with the coffin's inside.

She searches the coffin's inside for a bit, making sure that there are no nasty things before examining the book.

[spoiler]
[search][roll0]

Are there anything interesting about the book cover?
[spoiler]

kentma57
2008-11-26, 02:29 PM
Standard leather bound book.

Lycar
2008-11-27, 06:01 PM
Darren

So Darren turns his attention to the eastern set of double doors, doing the rountine of listening, examining and opening. Or, failing at the last part, breaking our the tools and disassembling the lock.

Lycar

kentma57
2008-11-28, 10:47 PM
Darren

So Darren turns his attention to the eastern set of double doors, doing the rountine of listening, examining and opening. Or, failing at the last part, breaking our the tools and disassembling the lock.

Lycar

Not so fast, will update when I finnish studying for my exams.

AKA: Something happened as you walked down the corridor.

Fri
2008-11-29, 01:55 PM
Alex

Then, as any good archaeologist, Alex takes the book and skim the pages! (and reading it if she can)

[d20+8]

"This could be an ancient shopping list or a tome that hasten the end of the world. But you can't learn if you do not take risk!

Oh, and the meantime, nobody want to check the bag?"