PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Monster Home Brewers (or, MitP Take III)

Tormsskull
2008-09-22, 10:28 AM
Hi all,

As the Monsters in the Playground project has basically hit a wall once again, I'm hoping to fast track the sentiments behind this project. The original idea behind Monsters in the Playground was to gather a bunch of monsters created by Playgrounders, edit/format them for clarity/relative balance/etc, and then publish them as a free downloadable PDF file.

Towards that I have created a database to store all of the entries. Anyone who has previously submitted an entry to the MitP project and had their entry accepted will automatically be in this project, should they choose to. If you have a monster you would like to submit that did not get accepted into the previous version of the project, go ahead and submit it here, and allow it to be reviewed by your peers.

This project can be done relatively quickly, and because I am really frustrated with how long the project had been taking, I am going to spend a lot of my free time to get this ball rolling. As such, I am going to tentatively state that the first phase of this project (Take III), contacting all previous submitters of a monster to the MITP project, obtaining their permission to use their monster, and entering the data into the database will be completed by October 31st.

Phase 2 of this project will take place between November 1st and December 31st. This phase will involve editing/cleaning up the text, doing the accounting to make sure all of the numbers/stats/feats etc, work as intended.

Phase 3 of this project, publication of the free PDF, is tentatively scheduled for January 1st. This means in a little over 3 months we could be finished with the project.

Ok, so, feel free to submit new monsters, or post your permission to use your previously submitted monster, or ask questions, throw out suggestions, whatever.

Here is a very rough draft screen shot of what each monster entry will look like when published:

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/Tormsskull/MitPReportSS.jpg

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 11:44 AM
I'll authorize all homebrew content I post on GitP for this project. Should I repost prior monster designs in this thread or link to the current posts?

RTGoodman
2008-09-22, 11:55 AM
I don't know if you're interested in any monsters I've done (they're all in the homebrew compendium linked in my sig), but even if you're not I could lend a hand on the editing and such when the time comes if you need it.

Tormsskull
2008-09-22, 12:05 PM
I'll authorize all homebrew content I post on GitP for this project. Should I repost prior monster designs in this thread or link to the current posts?

Links would be fine.

I don't know if you're interested in any monsters I've done (they're all in the homebrew compendium linked in my sig), but even if you're not I could lend a hand on the editing and such when the time comes if you need it.

I'm interested in any and all monsters that people who frequent this board want to put forth. And I will most definitely need lots of help, especially at the checking for balance in the monster's stats phase.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-22, 12:14 PM
Well, I was on sabbatical for a while, & when I returned, I learned that the Oaves (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2216051), which were initially accepted to MITP2, were removed because I wasn't around to sign some release form. Well, I'm back obviously, & am now willing to sign anything you want. The Oaves are complete, ready to go, & can be edited down as much as you like.

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 12:20 PM
Alright, here's all my current homebrew monsters on the forums:
Sialla Danda (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89675)
New Inevitables (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91492)

I authorize all of these monsters to be used in any freely distributed, web-based publication created/sponsored by a non-profit entity.

Guyr Adamantine
2008-09-22, 12:23 PM
If you want the Gridolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4520705&postcount=4) in, they're available.

DracoDei
2008-09-22, 01:02 PM
Zeta Kai: I would check with Victorious Press to make sure that your problem has any current bearing on the situation since all the releases were found to be legally insufficient.

As for myself, you can have the one that got swapped out from the VP version of this project because they couldn't promise me they would keep the name. Here, have a Giraffe-a-pump (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2618654#post2618654).

I will have to think about what other of my creations I would like to submit... I am probably going to reserve the organ undead for VP since they already have two or three of them and I PERSONALLY see this as an 'either/or' thing.

Might do Wing Dragons, M.I.R.V. Gryphons, and/or Mepholk... what do people think?

My Martyr Flitters, Astral Pack-Beasts, and (slightly less so) Lords of Rest actually seem like they would be more appropriate to a "Equipment in the Playground" than "Monsters in the Playground" somehow. Or is that just me?

Tormsskull
2008-09-22, 01:12 PM
I am probably going to reserve the organ undead for VP since they already have two or three of them and I PERSONALLY see this as an 'either/or' thing.

It could be, that's really up to them. I'm taking everything and anything, and allowing people to pull their creations if/when they so choose.

My Martyr Flitters, Astral Pack-Beasts, and (slightly less so) Lords of Rest actually seem like they would be more appropriate to a "Equipment in the Playground" than "Monsters in the Playground" somehow. Or is that just me?

I'm definitely not going to take on too much work at a time, as I know that has disastrous consequences. However, after this project is all done with, I may end up doing another similar project like "Equipment in the Playground" or something like that (personally, I am kind of favorable towards Classes or Races as they have a lot more descriptive text which is right up my alley).

BisectedBrioche
2008-09-22, 03:20 PM
Go ahead and use the one's I submitted.

The Venomfleshed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47963)
Psuedothreats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48222)
Protective Spirits (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48647)

pyrefiend
2008-09-22, 04:16 PM
You certainly have my permission.
Cerebral Inferno (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46981)
Thanks for getting this project back on track.

Vaynor
2008-09-22, 06:26 PM
Just to clarify, is this for submitting entries you submitted the first time around, but didn't get accepted, or for new submissions by homebrewers who got a monster in the first time?

Tormsskull
2008-09-22, 08:28 PM
Just to clarify, is this for submitting entries you submitted the first time around, but didn't get accepted, or for new submissions by homebrewers who got a monster in the first time?

Any monster that you have created and posted to the boards, or intend to post to the boards, may be submitted for this project. I am not working with the group that adopted the old MitP, so if you are worried about anything regarding that, you should contact them.

I'm trying to get the original project back on track, and I felt a change of leadership was needed to do so. I'm getting back to the roots of the project, so to speak, and going back to the free downloadable PDF idea.

I'm also allowing you, as the creator of a monster that you have submitted to this project, to ask that your submitted monster be removed from the downloadable PDF at anytime. As far as I am concerned, this means you should have no hesitations submitting something to this project, for if any company should want exclusive rights to your monster and you are willing to grant those rights to a company, you can simply ask to have your monster pulled from this free project at that time.

Vaynor
2008-09-22, 08:50 PM
Ok, sounds good. You have the right to use anything in my homebrew link (sig). I'm not sure all of those are in the format you want, so if you have any specific monsters in mind that you'd like to use, let me know and I'll put them in that format.

Edit: All I ask is that I'm credited fully for the creation of my monsters.

Tormsskull
2008-09-22, 08:58 PM
Edit: All I ask is that I'm credited fully for the creation of my monsters.

Of course. Its a little hard to see, but if you check out the very rough draft in the OP, you'll see at the very bottom it says "*Created by Tormsskull"

There will be something like that for every poster. And I'm also thinking about allowing posters to possibly have a hyperlink to their own personal web page or other page so they can show off some of their other material. Would be pretty cool if someone reading the PDF thought one of the entry's was really cool and wanted to read more from the same guy. Could simply click the link and BAM, instant-exposure for the homebrewer.

As a sidenote, the database is progressing nicely. I've entered a few of the entries that posters have submitted in this thread. I'm constantly refining the database and making it more efficient. I've got it calculating average hit points of monsters, number of squares of movement, and touch and flatfooted armor classes. So far so good.

Icewalker
2008-09-22, 09:27 PM
Um...not sure about this.

I believe MitP II has been stalling due to legal issues, which are currently still trying to be resolved by Fax and Osari. Not positive though.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-22, 09:33 PM
Um...not sure about this.

I believe MitP II has been stalling due to legal issues, which are currently still trying to be resolved by Fax and Osari. Not positive though.

I believe Fax has been MIA for about 6 months now, but the rest is basically true, to my understanding.

Tormsskull
2008-09-25, 05:35 AM

I can't speak for them. Check around a little bit and I think the amount of progress that has been made will be obvious though (hence, this initiative).

Update:

Everyone who submitted to this thread a monster is in the database. I'll be sending out a mass amount of PMs this weekend to all the previous contributors (unless they already posted here)