PDA

View Full Version : Need map maker!

Bago!!!
2008-09-22, 11:33 AM
Hello ladies and gents!

I am in the middle of making a D&D setting. I don't need help with it just yet (I probally will in the future but till then...) but I do need a program(s) to make maps for the setting. Does anyone know of any good programs that I could use?

And I have a question. Forgotten realms is like bigger than earth right? Does that mean that its gravity is just tremendous?

AstralFire
2008-09-22, 11:56 AM
Hello ladies and gents!

I am in the middle of making a D&D setting. I don't need help with it just yet (I probally will in the future but till then...) but I do need a program(s) to make maps for the setting. Does anyone know of any good programs that I could use?

Battle Maps: I make a grid of squares in paint and color everything according to terrain, with simple symbols I C&P as needed to represent MOBs. (Movable Objects.)

Large Maps: I start making random shapes in paint and start using smoothing and wrinkling tools in Paint Shop Pro 4 (it's abandonshareware now) and IrfanView.

And I have a question. Forgotten realms is like bigger than earth right? Does that mean that its gravity is just tremendous?

"I think so" and "HA science in FR, no" respectively.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-22, 11:58 AM
PM me your geography, & I'll see what I can do to make you a map. I use Photoshop CS3.

AstralFire
2008-09-22, 12:03 PM
PM me your geography, & I'll see what I can do to make you a map. I use Photoshop CS3.

I despise you and your $600. *fist shake*

Zeta Kai
2008-09-22, 12:11 PM
I despise you and your $600. *fist shake*

I don't have $600... :smallamused:

Bago!!!
2008-09-22, 01:11 PM
Dunno if I have paint on my lappy, I'll have to check that.....

Large maps are what I really need.
But I don't have that Paint smooth/wrinkle thing.

Zeta Kai. I know you can make me some great maps, so I think I'll make a rough draft of what I want then pm it to you so you can make some final copies.
I know it would be more simple if I just give you an Idea of what I want but I want to make the map more personal than just that.

Wheres this $600 dollars and why am I not getting any? :smallannoyed:

Edit: Something just occured to me. This will be my first real attempt in making a lasting setting for myself and my future games and projects. So I ask if anyone is willing to impart some tips for this large project of mine.

newbDM
2008-09-22, 01:31 PM
Well, although it seems you are set for now, in case you ever want to make some more maps on your own I highly suggest Fractal Mapper.

Fractal Mapper official site:
http://www.nbos.com/products/mapper/mapper.htm

Odds are many people will suggest Campaign Cartographer 3 (CC3) instead, but in my opinion Fractal Mapper is much better. Sure CC3 looks a bit better and more 3Dish, but it is insanely difficult to learn.

I have both on my Macbook. I got CC3 about a year ago, but I couldn't figure out a single thing. I just got Fractal Mapper last week, and I already know how to use it. I am nearly done with my first dungeon, I have already mapped out my PC's stronghold, and I have already begun the first settlement on my map. After I finish practicing on the village I will move on to my world map. For someone like me this is also quite fun.

One of my favorite things about it is that you can hook up a second monitor, and have a separate Player view than the DM view. I dug out an old monitor from my garage, and now I can show the players what I want them to see while not spoiling anything on my DM view.

Another fun option is being able to put notes all the symbol/objects.

Bago!!!
2008-09-22, 03:59 PM
Turns out that my computer does not have any sort of artsitic programs whatsoever. Dissappointing really. But that irrelevant. I now need to have some sort of program that can actuelly draw.

newbDM,
Both CC3 and FM sound interesting

What are the prices of the two? Are the updates free or is there a fee?
Are there other people who can tell me about these programs?

Hzurr
2008-09-22, 04:41 PM
"Mapmaker, mapmaker make me a map..." [/Fiddler on the Roof]

If you're looking for a good, free art/image editing type program, I recommend paint.net (http://getpaint.net). It's no photoshop, but everything I would have used photoshop for, it can do.

The multi-monitor thing is actually a pretty good idea. I tried it once, with my TV set as my secondary (actually, my Tertiary ) monitor, but because of the configuration we were sitting in the room (plus I was in a tiny dorm room at the time), it didn't work out as well as I had planned. If you want to do this a simple way, I recommend putting all of the various images you want to display on a powerpoint presentation, that way you can have the images on one screen (that your players can see), and have your images w/ notes on your screen.

Icewalker
2008-09-22, 06:32 PM
Personally I use AutoREALM (http://autorealm.sourceforge.net/) for both battle maps and world maps. It's kind of complicated, but easy enough to figure out the simple stuff. It also has a fractal line system, so you can draw world maps with what look like real coastlines.

Lappy9000
2008-09-22, 06:38 PM
Dunno if I have paint on my lappy

*BREAKS THROUGH CEILING*
You called? ...No? Um...*stares awkwardly at the ceiling*

Personally I use AutoREALM for both battle maps and world maps. It's kind of complicated, but easy enough to figure out the simple stuff. It also has a fractal line system, so you can draw world maps with what look like real coastlines.

I'd second AutoREALM for personal use. It's really not that complicated (took me about 2-2.5 days to get the hang of it), but an invitation from Zeta Kai and his glorious CS3 is probably as good as you could wish for.

newbDM
2008-09-22, 06:39 PM
Turns out that my computer does not have any sort of artsitic programs whatsoever. Dissappointing really. But that irrelevant. I now need to have some sort of program that can actuelly draw.

newbDM,
Both CC3 and FM sound interesting

What are the prices of the two? Are the updates free or is there a fee?
Are there other people who can tell me about these programs?

Prices:
http://www.nbos.com/order.htm
http://www.profantasy.com/shop/default.asp

You'll save about $10 on fractal mapper.

As for upgrades, I won't lie to you. CC has a lot more upgrades and options available; however, they are all quite expensive (see the price link there for their prices). If CC3 wasn't so hard I would seriously look into their City Designer 3.

Fractal Mapper has some upgrades available for free on their site, but they are limited. There seems to have been a large upgrade for new symbols, but they severely cut it down due to some symbols being of similar "style" to CC3's symbols.

However, CC3 has a "Crossgrade" where you can take all the symbols and stuff from CC3 to Fractal Mapper 8. See above link for more information. Apparently the two companies are friendly or something, which is quite nice in my anti-war/competition/conflict mind.

littlechicory
2008-09-23, 10:54 AM
I pretty much swear by Paint.Net. It's basically a watered-down Photoshop that's available as freeware and has some elements of MS Paint thrown in.

RandomFellow
2008-09-23, 11:41 AM
Ignore the heathens who suggest 'Paint.NET'.

GIMP is the way to go. But I have been using since Paint.Net existed so I have just be partial to it. :smallbiggrin:

NBOS's Fractal World Explorer is great for producing procedurally-drawn world maps. Then you can just break it into smaller sections and do it in Fractal Mapper (both programs come together).

However, if you have the artistic skills of an untrained monkey (e.g. Me), Zeta Kai will probably get you better maps.

If you want to see what a procedurally-drawn world map looks like:
Click Here (http://erthonline.com/RiseOfNisafar/wiki/doku.php?id=ancient_world_map)

AstralFire
2008-09-23, 11:49 AM
I hate both Paint.Net and The Gimp, but I find Paint.Net to be a better complement to Paint Shop Pro 4 than The Gimp. The Gimp is... very hard to use if you aren't already familiar with all of the modern functions of recent versions of Photoshop and PSP.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-23, 12:57 PM
Zeta Kai. I know you can make me some great maps, so I think I'll make a rough draft of what I want then pm it to you so you can make some final copies.
I know it would be more simple if I just give you an Idea of what I want but I want to make the map more personal than just that.

I still await your PM... The offer stands, for now...

Bago!!!
2008-09-23, 01:34 PM
I know Zeta, but I lack a paint program so I am trying to find one of my liking.

Thus far, I am far to busy to check everything out for myself. When I have the program I will get started on it.

Mephibosheth
2008-09-23, 02:09 PM
I've recently started using Inkscape to draw maps. It's not a dedicated map-making program, but it is a vector graphics program thats free and easy to use. Just google "Inkscape" to find and download it. I just use a free-hand drawing tool to ensure that the lines are irregular and coastline-like, and proceed to modify from there.

Here's (http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h197/Mephibosheth85/Maps/PhysicalMap.png) a map I drew (my first one and I'm pretty pleased) just to give you an idea about what kind of things are possible.

Hope that helps.

Mephibosheth

newbDM
2008-09-29, 04:46 PM
Edit:

Nevermind. Reinstalled it and it works OK now.