PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Mind-Controlled PCs

Leliel
2008-09-22, 02:43 PM
Anyway, I was playing R-Type Final for a bit, and I just discovered the part where you fall under the influence of the Bydo and end up attacking Earth.

This gave me an idea-During a projeted campagin, the PCs are captured by the main antagonists, the Iul. Rather than put them in a death trap, or shoot them, the commander realizes that they could be a useful asset, and subjects them to a mind-altering procedure. Their personalities remain the same, but now the characters think they're some of the colonists who willingly defected to the Iul for a chance at a better life. It doesn't stick, but by the time the PCs remember who they actually are, their normal employers are glad that they're normally on their side.

Of course, I'm going to ask the players beforehand, to see if it's all right with them that they become villains for a little bit.

So, do you think that this is a good idea?

Lochar
2008-09-22, 03:14 PM
Of course, I'm going to ask the players beforehand, to see if it's all right with them that they become villains for a little bit.

This is the key phrase here. It's a very good idea, especially since you aren't god modding them into being on the opposition's side.

But don't just 'kidnapped and BAM! you're a villain' type stuff. Describe it. Give them will saves to throw it off, and make the saves higher and higher each time they beat it. Start at like 10, and jump it 5 every hour/day/week/whatever they manage to resist the control.

Then, once they're controlled, have them be villains.

Every week/month/whatever, give them a Will save to recall/remember/throw off the control. Their DC is [Reasonable Number] or the last DC they missed during the conversion, whichever is higher.

Every time they fail it, drop the DC by 2.

Natural 20 does not auto throw off the control, but neither does natural 1 auto succumb to it.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-22, 03:17 PM
Frankly... I wouldn't like it, and I think many people think the same. Most players will get pissed off when you control their characters' actions like that. Not to mention that such things would cause angst in most good characters and some neutral ones. And player angst is rarely good. Especially if some of them used to play light-hearted and courageous characters before.

Such things better work for important NPCs that the PCs care about.

Hal
2008-09-22, 03:23 PM
Actually, I think this only works as long as the players aren't aware of what's going on. Start a game where they're working for the "good guys," and slowly let on that things aren't quite right. Eventually have them go up against whoever the actual good guys are, someone recognizes them, and there's your catalyst. The good guys try to explain what's going on and help them get their memories back. At that point, you can either let them have will saves to "remember" their pasts or just let it slowly return by fiat.

Honestly, I think the players being aware of things just lets them metagame their way through the experience. This way might end up being frustrating, but it could also end up telling a remarkable story.

AstralFire
2008-09-22, 03:42 PM
I agree with Hal and in a roundabout way Tengu.

Basically, it only works really well if the PCs:
- Don't know it's happening
- Are the type to get along with a sudden mind**** like that.

If your PCs fail either requirement, well... So this is really a question only you can answer.

It might help if you actually do a campaign like this where you design all of the characters' sheets and their broad personality; let them develop the quirks and spring it on them after a good long wait and they've come to love their characters (design more sheets than you need so they can pick a character they like). Then the players who join are more likely to be the ones who roll with that sort of thing to begin with, without actually knowing what's going to occur.