PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Character Concepts

Prometheus
2008-09-22, 04:30 PM
What are some really bizarre character concepts you've seen, had, or played?

Here are some that I've haven't yet played:
-A halfling who is insistent that it is his mission in life to become a Frost Giant (specifically, the king of them) when he has never met a Frost Giant before and has no reason to believe this. I haven't decided (and more importantly, the halfling hasn't decided) how he will go about achieving said goal, but the fairly obvious thing is that it will be a best a bizarre charade and at worst a complete failure.
-A construct originally designed as a sexbot for a now-dead wizard. Robbed of her prime directive, "she" now tries to integrate into society as a normal person. She has only been trained to speak in sexual phrases, and therefore adopts these phrases to communicate nonsexual comments. For example "Oooh, yeah" would be her typical response for "yes", "Do you think you can handle me, big boy" might be an attempt to threaten someone, and "Hold me, now" would indicate fear or caution. Now I'm not a pervert, but I think this character concept would be a) amusing to say the least b) a surreal contrast to any situation c) ironic in that many people would think she is always being sarcastic when really she is being quite literal. Of course, I don't know if I could actually play a character like this and be taken as the source of amusement rather than the subject thereof.
-A large ooze that behaves more like flubber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flubber) than the blob (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blob). Literally with the mind of a child, the ooze is carefree and playful even as it is too large to fit anywhere and burns things at its touch. Deep inside, he just wishes someone could learn to love a thing like him. Awwww everyone says at the hideous muck with disintegrating bones hanging off the sides.

Stupendous_Man
2008-09-22, 04:57 PM
I'm playing a Harlequin-like character in a DnD campaign. A bard that kills people while/by dancing, destroys things, commits robbery, and sings, all in an unnecessarily over the top fashion.

Hal
2008-09-22, 05:08 PM
It might have been someone on here, but I've heard someone describe a halfling rogue who ran around pretending to be a human child, just to pull off some wicked shenanigans. With a high enough bluff score, it'd be easy to pull off.

Kaje
2008-09-22, 07:02 PM
I have a great idea for a Paladin who has rejected his faith in his deity and has instead become an atheist trying to figure out where his power comes from. His best guess so far is nuclear fission.

Obviously this would have to be in a system without ridiculous rp restrictions. 4E could work.

Demons_eye
2008-09-22, 07:09 PM
A monk with an afro that acted like a bag of holding. So when they ever got into troble he pulls a latter or wepons out of his hair ><

chronoplasm
2008-09-22, 07:12 PM
I want to play as a Cleric who worships himself.

Knaight
2008-09-22, 07:17 PM
I'm impressed. The best one I ever had was a large phoenix who had a series of escapades, and was just ancient, with a somewhat childish personality. He didn't know caution, was still hopelessly naive, and had a slight attachment to the modern world, as well as a penchant for telling stories, such as that time this cart dealership ripped him off with the fine text, and he had to replace their cart with some nearly magical cart made of far better materials because it fell in the water after he didn't realize that the logs on what looked like the dock weren't actually attached together with ropes or anything. He eventually managed to get himself stuck in a sword, although he can come out fairly often. Plus there was the time he got stuck in the bottom of an ocean when trying to talk to a mermaid and not seeing the wave in front of him due to being distracted. At age 1300. And he learned nothing from being stuck at the bottom of the ocean for a few hundred years.

Ravens_cry
2008-09-22, 07:17 PM
I have a great idea for a Paladin who has rejected his faith in his deity and has instead become an atheist trying to figure out where his power comes from. His best guess so far is nuclear fission.

Obviously this would have to be in a system without ridiculous rp restrictions. 4E could work.
That WOULD explain why 'Detect Evil' can be blocked by a lead sheet. . .
I have rolled up, though I haven't gotten a chance to play as her, a half-orc sorceress, raised by halflings, who worships Yondalla.

Trizap
2008-09-22, 07:51 PM
bizarre character concepts you say? I could probably come up with some.....

a wise, and devoted cleric who is a bit eccentric and/or insane, who believes in a non-existent deity

a fighter that believes his sword is alive, nuff said.

maybe a wizard who has a theory that magical arcane energy somehow comes from some ridiculous source, and comes up with the weirdest explanation about magic works

a bard, a goth bard.

a half-elf who constantly has an identity crisis over whether hes human or an elf.

a dwarf who wants to fly, nuff said.

a catfolk who is constantly paranoid about the existence of a dogfolk race, when none exist.

and to think this is all those I came up with just right now....

Kaje
2008-09-22, 07:55 PM
a bard, a goth bard.One of my friends has an idea for a bard who sings hardcore punk music. Calls it bardcore.

Aneantir
2008-09-22, 07:58 PM
Dwarven, alcoholic, Fist of the Forest hobo. Lives in a wooden box he carries around with him, and goes into taverns and beats up patrons to take their drinks since he can't buy them for himself.

drengnikrafe
Someone with a high bluff score who wears a hat of disguise, and disguises themselves as someone who is not wearing a hat. They then go into town and insist they are wearing a hat, and see how many people argue with them....

NEO|Phyte
A dwarf that hates the earth, to the point that he doesn't walk on it, choosing instead to float. Really ought to find a game where I can actually play him, I've had the idea for a while now.

Aahz
2008-09-22, 08:03 PM
I want to play a dragonborn cleric who was raised by fundementalist religious humans who taught him that dragons and dragonborn were evil, and so he ends up with huge amounts of self-loathing, to the point that he tends to absentmindedly scratch the scales off the backs of his hands, leaving raw and bloody skin. Perhaps by the time he becomes an adventurer, he's gone through a lot of therapy and isn't quite so messed up, and perhaps even realizes that everything he taught as a child was crazy, but deep down he still hates himself.

Glyde
2008-09-22, 08:18 PM
I'm currently playing an Exalted NG Female Half-Ibixian Half-Minotaur Cleric turned Saint after being turned to stone for the greater good. Whew, that's a mouthful. She's pretty fun.

I would like to some day play a character who dual wields spring-loaded gauntlets.

Ravens_cry
2008-09-22, 08:22 PM
bizarre character concepts you say? I could probably come up with some.....

a bard, a goth bard.

a
Kind of reminds of Josh's second character in the short lived web comic Chainmail Bikini

nobodylovesyou4
2008-09-22, 08:28 PM
well, i once came up with an idea of a thri-kreen running away from the love of his life. why? well, you know what happens when praying mantises mate...

Chronos
2008-09-22, 08:43 PM

Obviously this would have to be in a system without ridiculous rp restrictions. 4E could work.You could do that in 3e, too. Nothing in the paladin's code says anything about piety: As long as you stay honorable and Lawful Good, you can doubt the gods as much as you'd like.

Personally, I've been toying with the idea of a cleric who worships Pelor, Manwe, Or, Zeus, Jupiter, Odin, and Ra, collectively. He often carries on personal conversations with them (which everyone else can only hear half of, of course). Fortunately, they usually advise him well. He wields a Legitimate Sword, which is an exotic one-handed weapon that requires 13 Str (or a martial two-handed weapon), and does 1d10 damage, 19-20 x2. What's that you say? Of course not! How dare you question the legitimacy of a weapon of the gods!

Prometheus
2008-09-22, 08:56 PM
Personally, I've been toying with the idea of a cleric who worships Pelor, Manwe, Or, Zeus, Jupiter, Odin, and Ra, collectively. He often carries on personal conversations with them (which everyone else can only hear half of, of course). Fortunately, they usually advise him well.
Odin: Well that's some good killing for the day, whose up for some drunken debauchery?
Jupiter: I am!
Zeus: Only if there are wenches.
Pelor: No no no! Those killings were regrettable not good...
Odin: The only thing that was regrettable was that your weak-butt wasn't pulling your weight when we all were smiting.
Jupiter: High Five!
Odin: Up top!
Zeus: Down low! (if you know what I mean...)
Manwe: Does anyone know what you mean anymore?
Pelor: The sun of Pelor does shine its light into the darkest places and it is the opinion of this diety that one should act according to the high standards set by the sun.
Ra: AKA me! Seriously folks, how awesome is the sun anyway?
Zeus: Not as awesome as thunderbolts!
Odin: We are losing focus from the very important things!
Jupiter: Like drunken debauchery!
Odin: Exactly...

Lycan 01
2008-09-22, 09:07 PM
Call of Cthulhu:

A 2nd generation Japanese immigrant in the 1920's who followed the Way of the Samurai. His dad had been a high-ranking samurai, and had also been friends with an American businessman. Turns out that the businessman was a mobster. So the PC learns Bushido from his dad, and then gets hired by the mob boss to be his daughter's bodyguard.

The daughter was also a PC. She was also Japanese - her mom had been a courtesan, and the mob boss had decided to raise her and effectively spoil her to death. She ended up as a singer at a local speakeasy...

But I digress...

The samurai guy was named Mitsumoto, but he went by "Bushido Joe" on the streets. I was feeling nice, so I actually made up a Samurai occupation for him. I gave him the Sword skill, and put most of his occupation skills in History, Foreign Language, Martial Arts, and other stuff.

Well, somehow...

He ended up with 99 points in Katana, and 99 points in submachine gun. Before he'd put those points in submachine gun, I'd said that the mob boss would probably give him a Tommy Gun, because I assumed that a katana would get him NOWHERE fast.

Well, turned out he became the teams tank, and he ripped through everything that even twitched in a threatening manner.

I felt rather... moot... when the WWI vet with PTSD had a shell shock fit and ended up blowing Bushido Joe in half with a double-barrel 20 gauge after several turns of gunplay and amazing dodge and luck rolls.

Sometimes I can't help but love and hate my group at the same time...

Eldritch_Ent
2008-09-22, 09:35 PM
Well, In my group's current game I'm playing a Kung-fu velociraptor Swordsage, if that counts. :smalltongue:

In fact, I'm keeping a journal of it on this board. You can find it in my sig, if you're curious on more info. :smallbiggrin:

erikun
2008-09-22, 10:03 PM
a bard, a goth bard.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/3466/bardsem7.jpg

As for my own concepts:

- A Paladin of Kelemvor, the god of the dead. I actually ran this guy.

- A gestalt Sorcerer/Bard with multiple personality disorder. Basically, I'd roll each day to see if he woke up with the antisocial Sorcerer or hyperpacifist Bard personality.

- An awakened skeleton Rogue.

black dragoon
2008-09-22, 10:03 PM
We made a Necron at one point. Also, The entire crew of the SS Powersquid our Spelljammer powered by a warlock Thri-kreen. A drug addicted Peter-Pan Bard who could Fly while High. A pixie using magical Powered Armor and a mermaid that in her true form was morbidly obese. We we're a very strange crew.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-22, 10:11 PM
- A Paladin of Kelemvor, the god of the dead. I actually ran this guy.

That's not exactly crazy. I've played paladins of Kelemvor, Jergal, and Wee Jas. Of course, I do kind of have a thing for death-obsessed paladins.

Flickerdart
2008-09-22, 10:13 PM
The Dirgesinger prestige class is your goth bard. I'm liking the nuclear fission Paladin. Although...this gives me an idea. Someone design an Ur-Paladin PrC.

black dragoon
2008-09-22, 10:15 PM
Can't be that hard. :smalltongue:

TheThan
2008-09-22, 10:27 PM
An awakened abacus that talks with math, you need to make Int checks to figure out what he’s saying.
A warforged urban druid… that’s right, a transformer

I recall someone on these boards had a pixie paladin that road a sparrow into battle.
I also recall someone else with an awakened psionic goldfish that lived in a bowl carried by another character’s warforged. I think they were in the same game as the pixie.
Orc exotic dancer… a very male orc exotic dancer.
Orc barmaid… she doubled as the tavern’s bouncer. (actually played this one)

Lycan 01
2008-09-22, 10:31 PM
Oh, right...

Somebody played as Hitler in a training session I ran for my best friend so he could see what 4e DnD was like.

What was hilarious was that even though Hitler had NO offensive capabilities, he had INSANE charisma and related skills. I think he had +23 to Bluff and Intimidate.

I lol'd when he convinced a bunch of Kobolds to slit their own throats...

dspeyer
2008-09-22, 10:34 PM
A hyper-intelligent wizard so determined to understand the underlying nature of the world that he's seriously dented the fourth wall. Most NPC wizards started calling him crazy after he delivered a speech on the quantum nature of luck and the platonic solids, complete with a battleaxe demonstration.

lordofthe_wog
2008-09-22, 10:37 PM
1. A neurotic, paranoid, and schizophrenic paladin. Of course, I made him before I got Unearthed Arcana, so I got to write up how schizophrenia actually works.
2. A half-elf who despises humans, yet is absolutely fine with his own half-human tendencies.

Prometheus
2008-09-22, 10:41 PM
An awakened abacus that talks with math, you need to make Int checks to figure out what he’s saying.
A warforged urban druid… that’s right, a transformer

I recall someone on these boards had a pixie paladin that road a sparrow into battle.
I also recall someone else with an awakened psionic goldfish that lived in a bowl carried by another character’s warforged. I think they were in the same game as the pixie.
Orc exotic dancer… a very male orc exotic dancer.
Orc barmaid… she doubled as the tavern’s bouncer. (actually played this one)

These have got to me the most interesting I've seen thus far.

chronoplasm
2008-09-22, 11:21 PM
[list]

"I must be an abacus, because you can count on me!"

I want to play as a lich who dresses up like a clown. He's an infernal pact warlock, but he prefers to use a wacky, cartoon style. His weapon of choice is a pact-mallet. It's an enchanted hammer covered in cartooney skulls and pentagrams.

overduegalaxy
2008-09-22, 11:27 PM
2. A half-elf who despises humans, yet is absolutely fine with his own half-human tendencies.

Scar Enforcer!

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-22, 11:44 PM
I want to play as a lich who dresses up like a clown. He's an infernal pact warlock, but he prefers to use a wacky, cartoon style. His weapon of choice is a pact-mallet. It's an enchanted hammer covered in cartooney skulls and pentagrams.

...I am so drawing this right now.

chronoplasm
2008-09-22, 11:49 PM
...I am so drawing this right now.

Let me see it when you're done. :smallsmile:

Draco Dracul
2008-09-22, 11:49 PM
A bard...based on Rick Ashton.

chronoplasm
2008-09-22, 11:50 PM
An elven bard... based on Klaus Nomi.

*edit*

Also, I want my clownlock to be a Harlequin clown. :smallbiggrin:
I'd like to have another member of the party, a cleric, to be a Pierrot clown. :smallfrown:

Doresain
2008-09-23, 12:04 AM
a paladin that wishes to slay a non-existent god he refers to as "father time"

a fisherman that can increase his size to colossal at will

a changeling or doppleganger with an extreme case short-term memory loss...thus every time he looks in the mirror, he freaks out over what he sees

an awakened platypus sorcerer bent on bringing his people back to an alleged "golden age of the platypi"

arguskos
2008-09-23, 12:15 AM
Marcellus Wallace.

An awakened dire molerat.

An intelligent phylactery (as in, a lich's phylactery) that gains it's own spellcasting power, and tries to throw off it's "father's" influence.

Something involving Urdlen (CE gnomish god of death and destruction; sobriquet: the Crawler Below).

A Lumi at all. I really like Lumi. >_>

-argus

horseboy
2008-09-23, 12:32 AM
I just built a character that's agoraphobic because, growing up she was constantly attacked by "space sheep" on every planet her parents landed on.

BobVosh
2008-09-23, 02:20 AM
Well, someone posted this one on here.
They wanted a jukebox, so a warforge bard with 0 dex :D

One of my more favorites was in exalted 1ed is an alchemical. I saw in the same book they had "hyper dexterous tentacle apparatus" and "1000-fold courtesan calculations." The first was tentacles, up to four depending how many times you take it. The second would make you know every single erogenous zone on a person. To the point mortals would become addicted to the touch.

I made a combat style out of this, la blue girl style.

I also wanted to make a reoccuring villian of a super intelligent wizard on a half red white dragon. Pinky and the Brain. :D

Gaiwecoor
2008-09-23, 02:54 AM
I have two: One I DMed for and one I want to play, but haven't had the chance.

A friend of mine had a gnome who looked into his soup one day and saw his own reflection. How did the gnome interpret this? He had just seen a vision of god. The gnome then decided he was a Paladin of Chigger, God of Soups. (Of course, he was nothing more than a fighter.) He would ride around on a specially trained pig, using a javelin as a lance. It was the nuttiest character I've yet seen, and it threw any type of plot I could try to craft to the wind.

This one is a very rough concept, but it's one I would love to have the chance to play. The core of this character has two parts:

Some sort of melee powerhouse that's been hit by Allips. This guy needs to have wisdom drained 'til he's nearly unconscious. (If you make it something without a wisdom score, it's that much better). This is pretty much a strong mook.

An intelligent weapon with a decent ego. That's right, folks. You're not playing the mook; you get to play the weapon dominating the wisdom-drained barbarian (or what have you).

One nice bit about this is if you ever encounter an NPC that would suit your needs better, you can always have the mook surrender and give the weapon to the BBEG. If you're really serious about this strategy, have somebody summon a bunch of Allips to drain BBEG first. Just hope that the villain fails the will save :smalltongue: There's the second advantage of never actually dieing (barring sunder). If the mook falls, somebody else is bound to pick up the weapon eventually :smallwink:

BobVosh
2008-09-23, 05:45 AM
The funniest character I ever made was a Ninja in a game called Factory. It is a Mexican RPG so doubt anyone has heard of it, unless they remember some random post I did on here. Any it has a funny ability known as "Shuriken-jutsu." Anything you can throw "like a shuriken" you got extra damage with. Including shuriken, incidently. The thing that made this funny is I liberally applied this, and got the GM to agree I can sugar daddies like that.

Hilarious. Espically since weapons were expensive. I could throw with 1 item between each finger, except no chance that I could afford it. But sugar daddies...I bought a huge bag for nothing. So at level 1 I had 150 hp (werid system, roll 2d100 for hp or start with 100). However I averaged 500 damage per throw of shuriken-daddies. 8 sugar daddies, 1d4 each, 3d20 with shuriken jutsu, 30 str damage bonus. I could also also add an additional 30 damage to each shot every once in a while with a special ability.

I just found it hilarious. I blew people legs off with candy.

potatocubed
2008-09-23, 06:15 AM
I haven't played...

Bob the Black and his Brilliant Bongo Band - a multiclass necromancer/bard who raises skeletons and teaches them to play instruments.

I have played...

Volothet - a crazy old druid whose elephant animal companion went missing. "I just turned around for a moment and he was gone." His quest was to find his elephant again, and his weapon of choice was an ankus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankus).

Funkmaster Flexx - a dwarf bard whose weapons of choice were a reinforced guitar (with strings of spell storing, yay) and a shovel. He had a ginger afro, within which lurked a poisonous snake that he knew nothing about. Also, that group's primary nemesis was a kung-fu-fighting illithid in a psionically powered exoskeleton.

I have GMed for...

A sorcerer who was a raven, with another raven for a familiar.

A kobold who wandered around in a giant suit of armour, driving it like a mecha.

BobVosh
2008-09-23, 06:29 AM
I have GMed for...

A sorcerer who was a raven, with another raven for a familiar.

Wow...I want to see him take leadership and have the magical murder raven team. That would be awesome. Some crazy druid is having way to much to drink and mass awakens a murder of crows.

You could call the adventuring group of ravens The Murderin' Murder

black dragoon
2008-09-23, 08:39 AM
Alright I can say I know someone who has done the possessed mook bit. It was rather interesting. As for more odd character concepts.

Rangor Flamepants.- A pyrokinetic who achieved the requirement by burning down the settings medieval equivalent of a Wal-Mart wore MC Hammer Pants made of fire and aided by a Time pirate, we can only guess was a furry with a thing for Bahumat, a psionic cleric who was liquivore with gills where there should be a mouth and several stand in members. We raised a mad pyro-mage into gohood and built a city in his honor that would later become a planar metropolis in the upper layer of the Beastlands all the while beating and winning in a battle against the oinoloth, And starting a Kobold revolution with the Kobold boy/man servant who went on to become a living string trimmer when wielding spike chains as the poster boy.

We have fairly odd parties. And that's just one. :smallwink:

Eorran
2008-09-23, 09:20 AM
A leprechaun bard, who firmly believed he was really a dragon. He carried no weapons, but owned two magical items: a pair of boots that cast Otto's Irresistable Dance on whomever he kicked, and a magical hat which he could use to pull out a cookie or any mundane item small enough to fit in his hand.
In the same group, we had a pseudodragon with a massive inferiority complex (I'm a real dragon, dammit!), and a vampire monk who refused to believe he was undead, ascribing all his abilities to his "special monk training".

Probably their best adventure was finding a flying palace where Djinn and Efreet were fighting a bloody battle. In the end, they came to the tower that housed the device controlling the flight of the palace, where a number of still-living djinn and efreeti were duking it out. The leprechaun got hold of the control device, and had to decide between the bald, bearded guys or the red-skinned, red-eyed, horned people. His response? "You just can't trust those bearded guys."
They went on to crash the palace into the ground. Think Return of the Jedi, Executor style.

Ascension
2008-09-23, 11:57 AM

Since the half-elf race is mechanically crippled compared to anything else in the PHB I've only played them in freeform RPGs, but I've played two elf-hating half elves.

The first was a ranger/fighterish sort whose elven mother had been exiled from elven lands because of taking on a human lover. This left him genocidally emo. In all other respects he was a pretty two-dimensional badass antihero, though. Not my best attempt.

The second was in a game which, though freeform, was heavily influenced by D&D. He was a half-elven barbarian who raged whenever anyone so much as mentioned the word "elf" in his presence. I can't remember his whole backstory, but I think it involved being mercilessly teased to the point of insanity about his elfness while being raised in a village of human barbarians. He'd be a frenzied berserker if I was actually statting him out.

TheThan
2008-09-23, 12:17 PM
A telepath (psion) that’s occupation is that of a psychiatrist.
“So how do you feel about this?”
(Casts Empathy)
“ I see”
* Scribbles something down on a pad*
“Continue please”

A succubus cleric of Lastai (BOED)
If WOTC will let them be paladins why not clerics?

Ahh I just remembered

An elf barbarian that was out to prove he was as tough as the other members of his (human) tribe.

chronoplasm
2008-09-23, 12:22 PM
I want to play...

...As a half-kobold.

He hates his human half, and he hates his kobold half. He hates everyone.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-23, 12:26 PM
I want to play...

...As a half-kobold.

He hates his human half, and he hates his kobold half. He hates everyone.

An emo kid, then?

chronoplasm
2008-09-23, 12:29 PM
An emo kid, then?

...Except for two points:

1) He doesn't cut himself, he only cuts other people.
2) He's a freaking half-human half-kobold! Everybody deserves to die!

Ascension
2008-09-23, 12:31 PM
...Except for two points:

1) He doesn't cut himself, he only cuts other people.
2) He's a freaking half-human half-kobold! Everybody deserves to die!

I seriously don't think half-human half-kobold is doable by any stretch of the imagination.

Even in a world with half-dragons.

chronoplasm
2008-09-23, 12:33 PM
I seriously don't think half-human half-kobold is doable by any stretch of the imagination.

I can imagine it, but it makes me die inside.

Mina Kobold
2008-09-23, 01:38 PM
never played this:

half-celestial/half-fiend with skizofrenia. He shifts personality at the worst time between a lawfull good half-fiend and a chaotic evil half-celestial, even funnier his original personality is true neutral and too weak to fight the other personalities, sad ain't it.

a clone that developed it's own personality but lives in constant fear for that its creator should die so his soul would take over his body, great bodyguard.

a effigy master that hides himself on a demiplane while controling an effigy looking just like him so nobody knows abaout it, think abaout his friends reaction when he's effigy die plus if the entire team die he can get them resurected and repair his effigy so they never lose.

kbk
2008-09-23, 02:02 PM
I had the really stupid paladin. Another player played his evil wizard brother. When he detected evil, he didn't really understand he was detecting evil, he just thought his brother always smelled really bad.

Also, Gnome barbarian.

Artanis
2008-09-23, 02:46 PM
Seen:

There's one guy in my group who has a real talent for coming up with truly bizarre character concepts:

*Violins, an Eclipse Caste in an Exalted game. He saw the world entirely in terms of musical-style harmony and disharmony and had a ridiculously high performance roll (the ST once ruled that an impromptu song had gotten so many successes that he had nearby listeners throwing their undergarments to him). He never saw combat as "fighting", but rather in restoring harmony to undo the disharmony introduced by others, doing so by using his lute to send waves of essence-charged resonance (think Tacoma Narrows bridge) at said "disharmonious elements".

*The Scriviner, a Warforged in an Eberron game. He was empowered by the Eye of Khyber, and tasked with Seeing everything he could and writing it down - directly into his armor with an adamantine stylus - so that Khyber could read it all when he woke up. He always capitalized the word "See", and always replaced "I" with "Eye" (for example, "Yes, Eye understand how you could See it that way.") His cohort was Grazer, an aberration-ish Cleric of The Eye of Khyber whose "real" body was an immortal crystal hidden deep in Khyber where nobody, not even Grazer, could find it, controlling the PC body from afar.

Had, but not played:

Most of my "wierd" concepts have been ho-hum mechanically, generally such things as "yeah, it's X, but it looks like Y!". ...yeah, I kinda suck at this sort of thing. At any rate:

*A Changeling Rogue who was the daughter of a silver dragon. Mechanically, she'd be just a Changeling Rogue, but fluff-wise, she would have a lot of her father's traits, such as a MASSIVE appetite, an obsession with beautiful, beautiful gold coins, and a tendency not to be bothered by cold (e.g. her extreme cold weather outfit would be described as "a light jacket".)

*A slightly hyperactive dragon whelp traveling with the party in humanoid form. Mechanically, he'd be a humanoid sorcerer in his early teens, but he'd be completely oblivious to things most humanoids notice at that age, such as girls. As a fire-type dragon (brass or red or something), he would always sleep either under a LOT of magically-heated blankets kept in a prop bag of holding or else curled up in a fireplace. He'd also sometimes like to try to scare people by being in dragon form, running up, and introducing himself, "Hi! I'm a dragon! Rawr!"

Played:

*Athena de Leon, a Gear Pilot for the South in a short-lived Heavy Gear campaign. The character itself wasn't bizarre at all, but her Gear had a high-powered engine, partially-sealed cockpit door, bright orange paint job...and the model name "HAI-01 General Kerensky".

*A bad-guy Riedran Cleric in one of the final battles against the BBEG in a recent Eberron campaign. The GM needed somebody to control one of the enemy NPCs he had thought up, and I volunteered. The GM's concept was of something akin to a WH40K Space Marine Chaplain, so it was fun coming up with lines with the help of a list of SM quotes I had open. My favorite (which I never got to use :smallfrown: ) was that when he cast Power Word Kill, he would shout, "CEASE AND REPENT!"

Pie Guy
2008-09-23, 03:09 PM
One I've heard of:

An inteligent sword paladin with a human for a mount.
The human took levels of druid, and got a horse animal campanion.
The horse was awakened, and took levels in sorcerer to get a raven familiar.:smallbiggrin:

wadledo
2008-09-23, 03:57 PM
I've always wanted to play a Dwarf Neogi pimp.
Basically, in the incarnations I've made so far, he's dominated an rich, older woman, convinced her to hold extravagant parties where he abducts young noble women and dominates a troupe of criminals who say they hold the girls captive while the Neogi sends the girls to a brothel in another city.
If I ever get a long term game going, the PC's are eventually going to see a tiny spider like creature on their patrons shoulder, screaming in her ear "You stupid old bag, you let the girls escape!" while it hits her with a rolled up newspaper.

Kaje
2008-09-25, 05:20 PM
A dwarf who's not a drunken Scotsman.

TheThan
2008-09-25, 05:25 PM

The most bizarre and rare being in the cosmos!

Ravens_cry
2008-09-25, 05:35 PM
Woah, that is weird. I mean that is just going too far, man. Out of the box and over the edge, that is just. . .extreme! That just blows my mind.:smallbiggrin:

Bagera
2008-09-26, 12:34 AM
Not exactly a single character concept but I once played a campaign where the Party was a Rock band called "Pelor and the sunshine Band"

Naleh
2008-09-26, 03:23 AM

No! Don't do it, man! You'll destroy the universe! :smalleek:

Reinboom
2008-09-26, 03:45 AM
After misreading a chat over AIM (just now, actually) I now want to make a changeling NPC charger build focusing on converting AC for incredible amounts of damage.
That's right, an AC adapter that charges PCs.

An elegant dwarf courtesan.

A half-ogre tibbet. Or really, a half anything tibbet.

Hawk7915
2008-09-26, 03:50 AM
My 2nd character was a Half-orc Bard / Barbarian (Bardarian) who was building toward Dragon Disciple so that I could have his inspire songs be Dragonforce. I'm not sure if this build is cliched or not, but I like it.

My current character is a Rito (hombrewed bird people) Cleric of Trickery that acts a lot like the Brothers Grimm (the Matt Damon movie)...he walks talking in a preacher's squawk about terrible demons and fire from the sky and possession, charges money to "protect the people", then steals everything during the ensuing chaos. Good times.

I'm really drawn to half-orcs in general: I love a good challenge. I also liked the idea of a Half-orc Cleric of Pelor, a Half-orc Wizard...I need to get a life :smalltongue:.

Ravens_cry
2008-09-26, 03:59 AM
I'm really drawn to half-orcs in general: I love a good challenge. I also liked the idea of a Half-orc Cleric of Pelor, a Half-orc Wizard...I need to get a life :smalltongue:.
I play a neutral good half orc cleric of Pharasma in Pathfinder, though admittedly the bangs against you aren't as steep in that system. I already talked about a half orc sorceress I haven't gotten a chance to play yet in 3.5. How playable she will be is a matter of if I ever get to play her. If my cleric dies, I am thinking of playing a lawful neutral elven monk, or converting the sorceress to pathfinder.

Dracoma
2008-09-26, 04:52 AM
I once played a changeling beguiler who was pretending to be a bard, but the "bard" was simply a cover for him really being a ninja. The "Ninja", however, was simply a cover for him really being a beguiler. The "Beguiler" however....:smalleek: oh dear....now I've gone and confused myself.....

It was outrageously complex, and not a single person at the table could EVER figure out what my character REALLY was.
The closest anybody got was uncovering that I wasn't really a bard, but was instead "really" a ninja!

Triaxx
2008-09-26, 10:26 AM
I DM'd a campaign with a Deaf, Illiterate Bard, with Max Ranks in Perform (Interpretive Dance). Worked out fine, except the Barbarian thought she was making fun of him and it's hard to talk down a Barbarian when the only method of communication is what's angering it.

Iudex Fatarum
2008-09-26, 12:25 PM
I have played a couple odd characters in my day.
1. A gnome bard who spoke in a very high voice. Via a drawback (randomly rolled by DM) his hair was changed to white and skin to blue. Then, by the end of the campaign he had been turned into a werewolf. But as the color changes were the result of magic they persisted in his wolf form. i.e. baby blue wolf is terrorizing town. Ah the joys.
2. A LN fighter who had an obsession with killing all lycanthropes. And while he knows some are good he will never defend them. At one point the DM had some slavers taking a were-boar in front of us. I walked up, slit her hand with my silvered dagger, and when she reacted to the silver I walked away and told the slavers to carry on, this threw the DM for quite a loop.

Those are the most odd probably.

chiasaur11
2008-09-26, 12:47 PM
A Dr. Thirteen (DC, not House) style disbeliever in magic.

Who's a wizard.

SilverClawShift
2008-09-26, 03:11 PM
I've been wanting to play a Warforged Binder (with a mithril body), who was constructed almost completely hollow and intended from day one to be nothing more than an empty vessel for vestiges.
It would have very little personality of its own, its only real driving force would be to identify how to bind vestiges, and then to bind them. All of its personality would come from what vestiges it had bound (basically playing up the vestiges influence as the entire personality).
It would also vaguely wonder exactly WHY someone had made a warforged specifically to practice pact magic, but wether that got resolved would be up to my DM.

There hasn't been a game that it would be appropriate for yet though.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-26, 03:58 PM

It appears not everyone agrees with your analysis (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Half-Kobold_(DnD_Race)).

kbk
2008-09-26, 04:06 PM
I once had Grits the mute ranger. That's right, grits that didn't make a lot of noise when you ate it.

He died in undermountain, and the kender wizard/cleric/rogue of the party set up a memorial to him. That same kender ascended to godhood..., sort of. Well he had a religious cult that worshiped him anyways.

Return of Lanky
2008-09-26, 06:06 PM
I once chose to play a Multi-classed Fallen Paladin/Rogue, a young half-elf woman named Tera'neith. After a villain got away three times, she decided to forsake the Paladin Oaths and snuck into his room, cutting his throat as he slept. At the start of the campaign I had six levels of former-Paladin and four levels of Rogue. I wasn't even aiming for Blackguard or any other "evil" character: She was just someone who was all for Good and eventually decided that the Paladin Code was hindering her ability to help those in need as best she could.

I was able to pull my weight, thanks to a couple very twinkish item/feat combos. Eventually my DM cooked up a 5-level PrC which let me get back some of my Paladin's powers (she called it the Dedicated Defender or something), but the look on her face when I presented the character was priceless.

DarknessLord
2008-09-26, 06:21 PM
I want to play as a Cleric who worships himself.

Oh, I almost managed that once, basically he was a cleric of cause, who had a strong connection to divine power, and thought that meant that he was a god....

Too bad he wasn't picked for the campaign (it was pbp here, and there were a lot of applicants).

chiasaur11
2008-09-26, 06:21 PM
It appears not everyone agrees with your analysis (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Half-Kobold_(DnD_Race)).

That just ain't right.

tarbrush
2008-09-26, 06:25 PM
-A construct originally designed as a sexbot for a now-dead wizard. Robbed of her prime directive, "she" now tries to integrate into society as a normal person. She has only been trained to speak in sexual phrases, and therefore adopts these phrases to communicate nonsexual comments. For example "Oooh, yeah" would be her typical response for "yes", "Do you think you can handle me, big boy" might be an attempt to threaten someone, and "Hold me, now" would indicate fear or caution. Now I'm not a pervert, but I think this character concept would be a) amusing to say the least b) a surreal contrast to any situation c) ironic in that many people would think she is always being sarcastic when really she is being quite literal. Of course, I don't know if I could actually play a character like this and be taken as the source of amusement rather than the subject thereof.

You've been one upped on this I'm afraid. Charles Stross wrote a book where the protagonist is a sexbot for humans in a universe where humans are now extinct. It's very cool.

Dr Bwaa
2008-09-26, 07:01 PM
Well I made a level ten character once, whose backstory and concept I realy enjoyed even though it's kind of generic. His name is Malaki, Swashbuckler 10 (though he's never been played). Ahir Torn is--or perhaps, was--the eldest son of a prominent noble family in the city of Temerhi. At the age of eight, and with the help of his best friend, a kitchen servant named Malaki Rom, he left his family, who were obsessed with training him up to become a fitting heir to their substantial fortune, and making a gentleman out of him. He has never been, nor will he ever be (he insists fervently), a gentleman, though handsome, a rogue, and a dashing figure he certainly is.

When he ran away, Ahir went to the pier, and snuck aboard a merchant ship named Alina--which was almost immediately set upon by corsairs when she put out to sea. The pirates discovered Ahir hiding in the bilge with a butter knife. Or rather, when they opened the bilge, it was a soggy, 8-year-old, cutlery-wielding Ahir who sprung out fighting. Rather than cut him down, the corsairs took a liking to the precocious youth. They took him to see their captain (after slaughtering everyone else aboard Alina), who asked his name. Ahir replied: Malaki.

The pirates took him in, and trained him in the ways of the sea. He grew exceptionally skilled with a rapier, and the crew of Minerva (for that was the name of the corsairs’ vessel) grew exceptionally wealthy. Eventually, however, she was taken by the Royal Fleet, and Ahir/Malaki was brought in for questioning at the age of 19. He admitted freely to being a pirate, but also mentioned that he’d been kidnapped by them as a very young boy, and knew no other life. However, he would be perfectly willing to serve his debts in the King’s armies, as he was (as he had demonstrated during the capture) very skilled at swordplay. Swayed by the persuasive young man, the man doing the questioning allowed Malaki (for that was what he’d been calling himself, and claimed that he had no last name that he could remember) to join the army. There, he proved himself time and again a terrific swordsman, and now, ten years later, he’s been called upon to perform a special mission for King Tineos.

Malaki always wears flashy, expensive clothing, even as he serves next to other men in full uniform. He shuns the heavy armor of the general infantry, and prefers dodging and weaving through the front lines of combat, whenever they break out. He wears a tricorn hat with a large crimson feather sprouting from it. His chain shirt is always worn under his other clothes, as he thinks it dulls his appearance. The same goes for his shield, which is normally kept in his haversack unless in the direst of circumstances.

I've also rolled, but never played, a character named Otyugh Holg, who is a half-orc Exalted Druid with good int and wis and VoP*. His backstory is really quite long, but I've included it here if any of you feel like reading :) Basically he's a (always naked) druid, and his "animal companion" is effectively an NPC (under the DM's control), an awakened raven Wizard named "No Name" with his own agenda of attaining "Ultimate Cosmic Power." I have injected him into a couple games that I DM, because I want so badly to play him :smallbiggrin:
I'm sorry for the formatting, by the way. It was only saved on his characted sheet on TTW, which screwed up the formatting. I have fixed most of the \&quot; business and so on, but I may have missed things. have fun!
Otyugh Holg was always a strange one. When his clanmates of his age would find meat of all kinds to kill for sport, Otyugh would insist that they take them back and eat them, and make use of them somehow, so their deaths were not wasted. He grew apart from the rest of the tribe, and spent more and more time in the nearby forest while the rest of the clan were on raids. He was looked down on, as he failed time and again to prove himself in combat (indeed, he failed to show up to the combat at all), and would generally back down from any confrontation, even though he was by no means a meager specimen, for a half-breed. He was viewed mostly as a black sheep, the runt of the clan (though physically, he wasn’t) who for whatever reason had failed thus far to give up and die.

One day, when he was about 16 years old, Otyugh was wandering in the K’sark Forest, near the banks of what used to be a river, until the humans in the north dammed it up many years ago. His clan now made its home in that former riverbed. He was in a place he’d never been before when he heard a harsh, unfamiliar voice, speaking in Orc just inches from his ear: “What do you do out here by yourself? Hm?” Whirling, Otyugh saw no Orc, only a large, black raven on a branch just behind him. He looked around, searching for the Orc who had addressed him, and after a minute or two, he saw, this time, the raven speak again: “No one here but you and I. What do you do?” When Otyugh asked, the raven never gave a name, always saying “I was never given one.” So, Otyugh took to calling him No Name. The two saw more of each other each time Otyugh went into the forest from then on. No Name showed him hidden valleys, untouched by the ages, ruins of long-forgotten civilizations, and other things known only to the creatures of the forest. Sometimes, Otyugh was gone for several days at a time, and when he got back, he would only say that he had been “talking with No Name,” which the other Orcs and Half-Orcs never understood.

Once, No Name told Otyugh of a goblin raiding party just barely south of Otyugh’s clan’s territory. They were, No Name said, headed for an elven town nearby, but they would pass through Orc territory on their way, and in a fair fight, they would easily defeat Otyugh and his clan. Otyugh hastened home, and informed the other Orcs of this information. They decided to lay an ambush, and sure enough, the Goblins came through shortly after dusk, when they were set upon by fully-armed and well-rested Orcs, who killed many and stole much equipment. After that, certain highly-ranked Orcs in the clan began coming to Otyugh (when they could find him, as he would disappear for increasingly long periods of time) for advice. He gave them what military strategy they lacked, and occasionally also passed on information that No Name relayed to him. No one fully trusted him, but the things he said were generally true, so the clan began to assume that, at the least, he had some way of knowing things that they did not. Some of the Orcs were alright with this, and certain other ones absolutely were not.

Otyugh soon stopped eating meat altogether, which meant that, as far as his tribe was concerned, he never ate that they knew of. By this time, he’d come to be recognized as a more-strange-than-normally-possible sort of individual. His frequent absences and strange demeanor became truly unsettling, so the tribe leader (Otyugh’s father, as it happens) decided to knock some sense into him, by making it mandatory for him to go on the next raid, and see some bloodshed, and maybe have the weakling human blood beaten out of him (his mother died in childbirth, and his father has been holding that humans are intolerably weak ever since--even going to far as to begin a crusade against them).

So, Otyugh went with the other Orcs and the few other half-Orcs of his tribe, into the small human village of Tolemac, located on the island of Ttolahs. Despite going to the front lines of the battle, Otyugh brought no weapons, and only wore a leather armor he made himself a few weeks before. The humans were fully aware of the impending raid, as the Orcs were not subtle in crossing into the river on crude rafts, and then floating downstream towards Ttolahs. Several Orcs were felled before they even made landfall, by crude ranged implements of the farmers living on the island. However, they did eventually get to the village, and Otyugh did fight, albeit only with his bare hands. When it was over, he walked over to his father, spat on the ground next to him, said, “I have fought as you wished. Now I shall fight only for myself,” and walked away.

Otyugh swam the river (despite being swept quite a way downstream), and went back into the K’sark Forest, to a place he’d come to know very well. In a shady glade in the heart of the forest, a small waterfall emptied into a moderate-sized pool of water that slowly emptied into a stream on the other side of the glade. Except for at high noon, the whole clearing was cool and shaded by the tall evergreens all around, and the water was always cold and clear. In the center of the pool was a formation of brilliant, sky-blue crystal with a flat top, which always made Otyugh think of this place as an ancient, ruined bath, with a fountain in the very center. On this crystal plinth, Otyugh sat naked, deep in a meditation that he’d begun to experience in this place.

He lost track quickly of how long he’d been there, but he came to a realization: this was the natural way of things. He’d been thinking that violence was wrong, but it isn’t violence is natural; it is the way nature operates. As if to illustrate his very thoughts, as he was mulling this over, a fly buzzed past him down to the water, where a spider gliding along the surface pounced upon it, and the two were then summarily devoured by a trout from below. Otyugh decided that to give up violence was not an option. One must be able to defend oneself. However, these unnatural constructs, weapons, armor, clothes... they are just that: unnatural. Unnecessary. None of the beasts living in nature make use of such things, and neither would he.

After an indeterminable amount of time, Otyugh was roused from his meditative trance by a harsh voice speaking Orc: “Otyugh! The dam the humans built has broken, and the river, even now, surges towards your clan! It is not safe here!” Otyugh got up at once, and promptly fell into the pond, which was only about four feet deep. He found footing, and struggled feebly towards the shore, each wading step a labor of tremendous effort. Once free of the pond, he grabbed a few berries, mumbling a few words that No Name had taught him, and ate them quickly as he struck out for his clan’s home. The berries revitalized him slightly, but the journey was still arduous. No Name followed him, yelling the whole way, though Otyugh wasn’t paying him any attention.

He arrived, sore, naked, exhausted, and half-starved, yelling “GO! The dam has burst; the flood will kill you all!” Not surprisingly, no one did anything but stare at this apparition. Otyugh made his way to the Leader’s Tent, and grabbed his father coming out: “You must make them leave, or they shall all die!” His father pushed Otyugh, who fell to the ground. “You are no son of mine. Find somewhere to curl up and die like your mother, and don’t bring your ravings here any more.” Otyugh struggled up as his father went back into his tent, and turned. The rest of the clan had formed a half-circle around him. He walked for the edge, where they parted to let him and his raven through, and laboriously crawled up the old riverbank to the edge of the forest. As he watched, a low rumbling became audible, and suddenly the riverbend in the north, which had been dry moments before, was filled with rushing, surging water. A few Orcs saw it, and tried to run, but they were far too late. The entire village was swept away, turning to debris and bodies in an instant.

When Otyugh and No Name followed the river’s course, they found no survivors washed up along the shore when the water level evened out. That is the way of things, Otyugh thought. They built their village in a river, and did not listen to warnings. I shall not be as simple. Since then, Otyugh and No Name lived well, though far from any civilization, as Otyugh’s appearance tends to cause fear, to say the least. Otyugh meditates for long periods of time, trying to gain insight into the natural, true way of things. He never wears clothes anymore, and doesn’t eat meat unless there is truly nothing else available. He now searches for spiritual enlightenment, and has sworn a vow of poverty to that end.

*This probably contributes to why DMs don't like this character, but I hate imbalance as a player and a DM, and I promise I'd never use Otyugh to break someone's game! :smalltongue:

Freelance Henchman
2008-09-26, 07:04 PM
I'm playing a Harlequin-like character in a DnD campaign. A bard that kills people while/by dancing, destroys things, commits robbery, and sings, all in an unnecessarily over the top fashion.

Why so serious?

DarknessLord
2008-09-26, 07:24 PM
You know, I'd love to play a CE Paladin (of slaughter, if we're going 3e) who thinks he's lawful good. His motto would literally be "Slay them all, god will know his own" and figure that anyone he kills that's good, has nothing to worry about when they did, because they go to the nice "good" after life, and evil people don't, so everyone gets what they deserve. It'd be even better if he though his detect good was detect evil....

Eldariel
2008-09-26, 07:37 PM
An Anthropomorphic Monkey Druid with a Feral Human (base Int 6 reduced to Animal Int of 2) Animal Companion.

GrassyGnoll
2008-09-26, 07:49 PM
I know "X race thinks he is Y" is overdone, but I really want to make a half-elf raised by an orc tribe who believes he's the prettiest half-orc ever. He'd speak in an exaggerated cockney accent a la Warhammer orcs and insist that "I'z da boss coz I'z da prutiust".

Kicked out of the village when his entourage of fawning orcish women grew to include an important warrior's wife. I was thinking Bard/Fighter with a 1 level dip in Barbarian, eventually specializing in his "pruty gubbins" to become a Kabuki Warrior.

Sadly finding a group in Fresno is bar none difficult.

Lemur
2008-09-26, 08:03 PM
I had a goblin cleric once who was the sole worshiper of his god, ala Terry Pratchett's Small Gods. He was really fun to play since he'd have "conversations" with his god, who was apparently hovering over his shoulder all the time. Of course, since no one else could sense the god at all, the conversations were entirely one-sided.

Probably the weirdest concept I ever had was the transdimensional cyborg ghost from the future. While most ghosts linger on after death, he was lingering on before birth, despite being a grown adult. Also, in addition to being a ghost, he had highly advanced nanomachines implanted in his body, which were designed to grant him incredible power and versatility. The machines had also become ghosts, and granted him powers at such a high level that they just so happened to resemble magic ability. Thus far, I haven't found a DM willing to accept such a character concept for a human ghost sorcerer.

Wraith
2008-09-26, 08:32 PM
A friend of mine played, in 2nd Edition D&D, a Half-Giant who specialised in Improvised Two-Handed Weapons and Grappling/Wrestling.

He said he didn't want to have to carry around a heavy weapon all the time, but could defend himself with the first thing he could get his hands on in a fight - which, usually, was one of the enemy creatures.

Although on one memorable occasion he used the partiy's Human Paladin who had been paralysed and wasn't otherwise being put to much use....

Vortling
2008-09-26, 10:01 PM
The only really crazy concept I've ever played was the animated voodoo doll(non-D&D system). A small fellow sew together from scraps with rows and rows of pins instead of hair. When combat started he'd mumble a few words at an enemy, pull out one of his "hairs", and start stabbing himself. Much to the chagrin of the enemy :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2008-09-26, 10:22 PM
The only really crazy concept I've ever played was the animated voodoo doll(non-D&D system). A small fellow sew together from scraps with rows and rows of pins instead of hair. When combat started he'd mumble a few words at an enemy, pull out one of his "hairs", and start stabbing himself. Much to the chagrin of the enemy :smallbiggrin:

It's not that weird.

I mean, there even was a videogame about that sort of protagonist.

The Glyphstone
2008-09-26, 10:31 PM
The weirdest character I ever really got to play had to have been Ssssssssssam the Hydra Fighter. He/They were the product of a mad wizard's experiments with magically enhanced intelligence (it was an all-monster campaign with Point-buy stats, I had base Int of 16 before the racial -8). Being a 7-header, Sssssssssam had seven different personalities (Scared Sam, Hero Sam, Evil Sam, Silly Sam, Mellow Sam, Suspicious Sam, and Psychotic Sam), who took turns wearing the Headband of Intellect that signified which head was currently 'in charge', and frequently argued with each other. Each head had its own color text.

This was where I learned that AoO-based fighters are insane when they're also Hydras, thanks to Hydra Combat Reflexes. It was really too bad the game died early on before anything interesting happened.

Chronos
2008-09-26, 10:35 PM
A Dr. Thirteen (DC, not House) style disbeliever in magic.

Who's a wizard.Perfectly reasonable. Magic may be defined as exactly what a wizard does not do. You see, magic is that which is not understandable in terms of the laws of the Universe. A wizard does what he does precisely by pursuing and gaining a fuller understanding of the laws of the Universe. So, since what wizards do is understood by wizards in terms of the laws of the Universe, it's not magic.

Flashlight
2008-09-27, 09:37 AM
A charismatic bard with a crazy stalker girlfriend following him (aquired via Leadership). Who doesn't like love-hate relationships?

RebelRogue
2008-09-27, 11:14 AM
I've thought about (but never actually played) a rastafari paladin. With the Leadership Feat he's got a band of reggae bards following him around, smoking perhaps a tad too much of err... certain weeds. "The herb is totally lawful, man!" Pretty silly, actually.

I've also got a friend who played an intelligent, spellcasting pearl for a while!

Prometheus
2008-09-28, 02:02 AM
I thought of a new one: In a modern setting, we'd have a human who was subject to an alien parasitic infestation. It grants him supernatural powers of sorts, but also controls him. The catch is that he gets to control it because whenever he lights up his illicit drugs, the parasite reels in pain. So the human battles to control his life over the parasite and the drug addiction and hilarity ensues.

chronoplasm
2008-09-28, 02:51 AM
Prometheus: That reminds me of a similar character I came up with.

There is a man with potent psychic powers awakened by his heroin addiction. He doesn't know it until he is approached by a demon that offers to help him kick the habit if this man would retrieve a certain alien artifact for this demon.
After his long, perilous journey, this man discovers that the alien artifact he was sent to retrieve creates a strange radiation that demons can use to get high.

turkishproverb
2008-09-28, 04:16 AM
A gnome who's misson in life was to become one of the Guardians on OA.

Nevermind that this was set in a normal fantasy world, or that he was insane and had no clue what those things were...

We ended up homebrewing a 4th wall breaker prestige class for the little guy. At least...I think it was for him. Granted he never got to use it..

Eldariel
2008-09-28, 07:46 AM
Oh yeah, a gnome engineer (artificer) who had built a dirigible. On a flight, one of the crew members fell over the edge and dropped right on one PC party member lethally. Therefore, the gnome artificer is now indebted to the party and adventures with them, and builds all sorts of silly concoctions most of which don't work.

Klaz Eidron
2008-09-28, 08:18 AM
In a GURPS Modern campaign, I played a 10 years old human that attacked by stabbing people with pencils and throwing portable video game consoles.

He ended up being the only party member who actually killed someone (Everyone else was a pacifist of the "Never kill" variety)

Adumbration
2008-09-28, 08:33 AM
There is a man with potent psychic powers awakened by his heroin addiction. He doesn't know it until he is approached by a demon that offers to help him kick the habit if this man would retrieve a certain alien artifact for this demon.
After his long, perilous journey, this man discovers that the alien artifact he was sent to retrieve creates a strange radiation that demons can use to get high.

Now, do you know what would be amusing? If the demon just paid for his re-hab, instead of magicking the addiction away. Or personally preventing the man from using drugs.

kbk
2008-09-28, 02:05 PM
One of my friends played a 10 year old boy who was a druid shape changing master. He was able to turn into a beholder and use all the eye beams.

You try to reason with a 10 year old with a disintegrate eye beam.

streakster
2008-09-28, 02:13 PM
A Warlock/Necrolock who honestly believes he's doing miracles with the power of Pelor. He never notices that the screams of the damned accompany his blasts, thinks he's healing those dead that he reanimates and that they obey him out of gratitude, etc.

J-H
2008-09-28, 02:31 PM
I did one last weekend, will find out if it got into a game within the next day or two. He's a gnomish were-eagle rogue.

Wonderful scout, rewarded quite handsomely for helping win a war via superior recon.

snowbard55
2008-09-28, 03:30 PM
I have two pretty good ones I've played in 3.5 DnD

A human CG Wizard/Bard who became a bard to "Lure out the ultimate arcane power by singing." He believed that the source of all arcane power was an invisible monster that flew above the earth and was attracted to song. When asked if this was so then why had no other bard ever summoned it he responded that they had never sung the right song.

A half-elf NE Rogue who had been convinced that if he retrieved a specific magic item called the Shiny, Glowy Bauble of Wonderment and Shinyness he would gain the power to summon a harem of elf chicks who would be completley at his command.

Yeah...I have a sick mind....:smallwink:

RebelRogue
2008-09-28, 04:28 PM
Also, on a more bizarre level, I had this idea for a villain: a female cleric of Malcanthet who seduces male paladins only to sever erm... a certain part of their anatomies after which she flees and lets them bleed (or prehaps takes care of the paladin in some other way). She then proceeds to casts Gentle Repose on her newfound loot and stores it. Eventually, she wants to craft som bizarre flesh golem out of these pieces (and other parts too. but these are what are to power this unholy Construct). Whether this should be for the sick pleasuredomes of her mistress' home layer of Shendilavri or something even more twisted, I never really settled on. A pretty sick idea, anyway, lol :smalleek:

snowbard55
2008-09-28, 04:42 PM
Also, on a more bizarre level, I had this idea for a villain: a female cleric of Malcanthet who seduces male paladins only to sever erm... a certain part of their anatomies after which she flees and lets them bleed (or prehaps takes care of the paladin in some other way). She then proceeds to casts Gentle Repose on her newfound loot and stores it. Eventually, she wants to craft som bizarre flesh golem out of these pieces (and other parts too. but these are what are to power this unholy Construct). Whether this should be for the sick pleasuredomes of her mistress' home layer of Shendilavri or something even more twisted, I never really settled on. A pretty sick idea, anyway, lol :smalleek:

....:smalleek:....I am both fascinated and repulsed.....but that is pretty funny.

Sort of reminds me of a villian the party faced. She was an elf druid who was trying to create the "Messiah of the Wilds". She did this by mating with any male she could seduce in an effort to produce the fated child. It turned out to our fighter's son with her (tanked the will save he and I were given to resist her lures as the only male party members.)

Good times...good times :smallwink:

evisiron
2008-09-28, 05:34 PM
Finally played some Dark Heresy, and one of my friends played a great Void Born (born and raised on a space craft essentially) who would go off on tangents about his previous days any time danger looked possible. Stuff like: "Its beautiful here. To see stars before meant the hull had burst open and you where already in space nanoseconds away from painful death." In a completely conversational tone. It was brilliant. :smallbiggrin:

As a concept, maybe not that strange, but excellent execution.

Chronos
2008-09-28, 06:55 PM
I thought of a new one: In a modern setting, we'd have a human who was subject to an alien parasitic infestation. It grants him supernatural powers of sorts, but also controls him. The catch is that he gets to control it because whenever he lights up his illicit drugs, the parasite reels in pain. So the human battles to control his life over the parasite and the drug addiction and hilarity ensues.Reminds me of Babylon 5:Londo eventually ends up with a parasitic "watcher" attached to him. The only way to be free of its influence for a while is to get rip-roaring drunk, since the parasite passes out slightly before Londo himself does.

A Warlock/Necrolock who honestly believes he's doing miracles with the power of Pelor. He never notices that the screams of the damned accompany his blasts, thinks he's healing those dead that he reanimates and that they obey him out of gratitude, etc.Perfectly consistent with Pelor (http://forum.zaister.de/viewtopic.php?id=5)

Totally Guy
2008-09-29, 07:05 AM
I had a fun idea. A young boy that has a commoner class and hs grandfather who's in a coma. Separately they count as a commoner and ...maybe an object. But together they count as a sorceror.

The child communicates with his comatose grandfather to make magic.

Ragabash
2008-09-29, 07:36 AM
I used to pitch bizarre, unworkable concepts to a friend of mine whenever he would be thinking of DMing a game, just to see if I could make his head explode.

A couple that I can remember, just from the great reactions:

"Can I chrome my dwarf?"
And the oft-referred to Gnomy McGnome- the gnomiest gnome what ever gnomed (the character actually being a Half Orc Samurai, origin stories of the name vary).

As for characters I'd actually play, I'm rather fond of my idea of a female elven barbarian with Weapon Focus for her weapon of choice, the warhammer. The feat tree would later be built on for my intimidation value.

Brauron
2008-09-29, 08:17 AM
One I recently rolled up and pitched to my DM...

Flashbang the Unstoppable, the Dread Halfling Anarchist.

Halfling Rogue, spec'd for using thrown splash weapons.

He was stone deaf and completely (though harmlessly) insane, both due to his constant alchemical tinkering. As for his insanities, he was terrified of rats because he was convinced he was made out of cheese, and that he could run up walls (but only so long as no one was watching him).

He was accompanied by his mount, Admiral Horatio T. Pony. It was hoped that the various explosions Flashbang would invariably cause would result in him going through replacement ponies, all of whom would be named Admiral Horatio T. Pony, followed by the appropriate number.

JupiterPaladin
2008-09-29, 08:54 AM
Just a quick note to those couple suggestions about the wangsty half-elves or half-whateverelse characters: That is neither bizarre or even unique in any way. I hate to be critical on something like that, but those types of races seem to mainly attract that character type, so it would not be qualified for this thread :smallfrown:

As for crazy junk I played:

Guido Sarducci the Elf Bard that was convinced he was a hardcore wrestler and the instruments he played were merely stage props. He once made a flipping/flying dropkick on a 3,000 lbs clay golem which ended up breaking his own legs and taking twice as much damage as the golem did :smalleek:

Halfling Sorcerer that was obsessed with dominating farm animals and invading villages with induced stampedes of their own livestock. It was a short campaign. His name... Cattlepunk... Nuff said!

Crazy characters I DMed for:

Weedle (yah he was a Pokemon fan) the Half-Brownie-Half-Kender Paladin with a holy mission (and granted divine ability) to, umm, procreate with one living thing of every race and put the children in a planar petting zoo. Weedle's Love Zoo, tickets are now on sale!

Bourbon Halfglass the Halfling Cleric of Ralishaz to the extreme of randomness. He ended up scared white by a ghost, gaining a 4ft long lizard arm from a pool of demon blood, and scaring those he saved more than the danger he was saving them from. He was also a legendary Brewmaster with a bad gambling problem :smallsmile:

Free-Spirit... the somehow 8ft tall Fire Elf (???) weighing in at 108 lbs and taking 4 different base classes, you know, to be the best at everything right? My brother's "quad-class baby" was a liability on her adventuring party. Thou shalt not lose 30 caster levels between 2 casting classes! He didn't want my help I guess...

DigoDragon
2008-09-29, 09:22 AM

I'm actually playing one now... it's a pretty boring character. :smalltongue:

My Bizzare characters--

A human wizard who believed his raccoon familiar was actually a princess cursed into animal form. The raccoon familiar also believed this delusion... until both found out it was true and managed to break the curse at the end of the campaign.

A demon who walked around carrying a bag of marbles and swore those marbles were souls she was collecting to free herself from hell. She wasn't very bright as you could imagine...

An android doctor who doesn't advertise that he is a machine. No one on the ship figured it out until he had to "space walk" twice with no vaccsuit in order to save other crew members. People started asking questions then. :smallwink:

A dual class Wizard/Barbarian catfolk with a multiple personailty problem. Partymembers would often place bets on most locked doors to see if she'll inteligently unlock it with a spell or bash the door down.

Smeggedoff
2008-09-29, 09:40 AM
in Mutants & Masterminds I played a superhero avatar of Sloth. he had the density power so he'd float everywhere slowly to save effort on walking, increase his density to several hundred tonnes to he could nap and no-one could move him, and if he touched or was touched by anyone they'd fall asleep, or if he yawned everyone nearby got sleepy.

he was fun

mr.fizzypop
2008-09-29, 04:12 PM
On another forum I heard about a half-dragon half-anthropomorphic squid, who was a womanizer...but any way...

I had an idea for a albino plane pilot in WWII who after attempting to bomb a nazi research facility that is currently trying to create an atom bomb. But he is shot down and crashes into it, resulting in a huge explosion, creating a time warp, sending him, and a bunch of nazis back in time. It goes back to an old medival time(this was for a dnd campaign) which for some reason there is orcs, elves, dwarves, and the like. He becomes a paladin and is sworn to defeat the newly created "nazi cult" that worships hitler.

Its a cool idea but was mainly an excuse to kill nazis in dnd.

SpiderMew
2008-09-29, 06:09 PM
After misreading a chat over AIM (just now, actually) I now want to make a changeling NPC charger build focusing on converting AC for incredible amounts of damage.
That's right, an AC adapter that charges PCs.

This really did have me laughing so loud my family though something was wrong with me.

As for my self.

Mixed World of Darkness Campane, older rules.
Werewolf the Apokolips
Lann Valco, Lupis, Child of Gia, Philadox.
After his first change, he was sent out to the world of men, to find something, anything that he could relate to them with, and bring them back to Gia and the sprit world, and make the world as it once was.
He searched and searched, and found the world to have meny spitural ideas and religions, but they all battled and wared with eachother, But there was one thing that bound togeather members and leaders of all religions.
Star Wars. He learned about it from seeing a Rabi, a Prieast, and a Bartender all talking togeather in line for Epp 2. After talking with them, and watching the film (and all the other films made at the time) He made it his lifes mission to make them see that the sprits are this force, and that all can come and become Jedi.
He was the Jedi werewolf, who evently become so obsecessed he even convinced himself he was a jedi, and traveled to the fanfiction created relms of the umbra, training with Yoda, destrying the empire with an anal dewaling tentical monster he axidently created and was forced to enjoy with a derangement...and was a fallen jedi for a while.... eventualy coming back out of it.
The high points of his life was when he met The Lucas himself, and he was given the Epp 2 Mace Windo lightsaber actualy used in the movie.
(Turns out he was a very powerful Son Of Eather mage who was using the force as his excuse for his powers, and his fanbase gave him a big shift in the paradime)
He eventualy made his own lightsaber, the handle was made out of specaly carved stone, and it was empored by the spirit of lighting, it was color changeable, for it housed 4 crystals (that i didnt know were big plot items)

He died in a war shortly after.

Mage the accention (first ed book we were using for this)
A hit-mark for the technocrocy, named Sigma
Sigma (who used the letter) was an AI program created as a joint project between the SoE and the Virtual Adepts to make an awakened AI program.
It had been captured by the Tech and given a robot body and a bit of a reprograming. It had a device in its body that explained every rote he could cast, and he had these big miniguns that poped out of almost noplace, one had rounds that riped though forcefields and energy barriors, the other riped and rotted everything living, and he had goggles that could track any target, and a sniper rilfe that could shoot though the planet if it had to, to kill its target, and it could easly, and keep going. He also had a force field, and anything in the field could turn invsable. And if you managed to get though is awful levels of armor, and actualy kill him, his program would boot up back at base and they'd ship out a new body. He talked weird, and robotic like the guy from euro trip, the robot from the dance fight, whenver any thing didnt make sence, hed acualy say error, one time he was so confused his eyes went all blue screen of death and he had to reboot.

He was wiped from existance by a stupid mage who had botched his role and cased a paradox storm... whlie we were assaulting one of the largest changeling(farrie creatures) fortress ever in existance for an artafact that would allow us to enter the shadow relm where wraths came from....
I was pissed, because save for a paradox strom, he was unkillable.

DnD
Another chracter i played was the son of a noble house, who was praticly a shame to the family, he was a drunkard and used his name to get what he wanted, one day, he had knocked over an old woman while drunk, and yelled at her, and kicked her for getting in the way. She was a powerul demonic whitch and cursed him to spend the rest of his days as a Lizardman, from there he learned his lession, and has been searching the world for a way to become human again, he still wears his family ring, but most would attempt to attack and kill him before letting him speak. He was an AoO based fighter/rogue using a Dwam (exotic weapon from a 3.0 book that im probably spelling wrong) who masterd wirlwind attack and would also trip people up with improved trip, get that sneak attack while they are down.. That was the plan anyway, most of the games he was in didnt get very far...

xPANCAKEx
2008-09-29, 08:02 PM
a bard who goes round selling "partial ownership notes" in local businesses to the rich and wealthy of the town.

'Yes, you sir could get in at the ground level and buy 300 of the 1000 partials in Gregors Blacksmiths, and all the low low price of 150 platinum pieces.

Hes got expansion plans and is about to take on not just one by two young aprentices, and soon he'll be opening up another forge in Anhock just 10 leagues yonder.

Buy these partials now and what will you earn? Well sir, how does 300 gold pieces of ever 1000 gold profit gregor make sound to you? Great i hear you thinking, but what do i have to do? You sir arn't a common lowly mucky blacksmith, you're a Nobleman! (and a very noble nobleman too might add :smallwink: )

How does doing absolutely nothing for all that money sound to you? GREAT! Thats what i thought... thats the joy of partials, sir.

so

how many will you take?"

yes... i have just been watching wall street

Brasswatchman
2008-09-29, 09:28 PM
Once played as a lawful good necromancer. Well, okay, the gamemaster made me downgrade him to lawful neutral, but still - he was a really nice, personable kid who was always trying to do the right thing. He just happened to come from a village where it was considered perfectly natural to raise your elders as zombies after they die and put them to work in the fields. Still fairly proud of that one, even if the character was otherwise a Full Metal Alchemist rip-off...

Naleh
2008-09-30, 12:36 AM
I once had a LG dwarf necromancer with a dwarven waraxe... Basically, everything (within some reason) that you wouldn't expect a necromancer to be.

The story was that he'd lost loved ones in a mining accident and, rather than doing anything sane, he started delving into death magic looking for a way to revive them. :smallconfused:

Unscrewed
2008-09-30, 07:20 AM
I once put together and LG necromancer as well, but for 3e Eberron. The idea was that he was an up-and-coming necromancer in Karrnarath (where necromancy is common). At some point during his training, he had massively screwed up an animate dead spell and made deathless. By complete accident. Ever since, he'd been Karrnarath's sole deathless specialist, until he got kicked out of the army for being too honest (in a very lawful nation).

At no point did he connect his discovery with the elves of Arenal (who've been doing the whole deathless things for a gazillion years.)

slexlollar89
2008-09-30, 10:59 AM
I never played this, but a friend played a sorcerer who was so fed up with my shinanigans (I was a warlock rogue) that he castrated me, animated my peice, and then took it as his familliar. Yeah the thing never slept so I would try to sleep while getting pocked all night... good times.

Another was a gnome begiuler who insisted on mesing with anything he saw (usually by picking it up, then quickly losing interest and throwing it aside and moving on to another thing). He ruined a priceless glass ornament that contained a living fireball (it was for decoration... looking very cool wih the exploion contained) but the monster was waaaay to strong for us to fight off and most us died.

snowbard55
2008-09-30, 03:56 PM
My friend reminded me of some he's played.

A Half-Orc Druid who was raised as such by the elves. For the first half of the campaign he belived himself to be an elf, then we convinced him he wasn't...so he assumed he was half-elf....his intelligence wasn't very high.

A Halfling Sorcerer/Rogue who insisted that he be adressed as "His highness, the king of all pork based products." At least four times he dragged the entire party to "liberate his subjects", his subjects being pigs. For a long time we humored him, but then we just slaughtred all the pigs he "liberated" Also, his familiar was a pig.

Another one I've played was a Vampiric Dwarf Barbarian who had been living in isolation for 49 years and who during that time was married to a grizzly bear. The kicker is, they actually managed to have children. Half Dwarf/Half Bear Vampires, man those things were cool.:smalltongue: They had kickass strength and we basicly used them as meatshields for a long time, until I sent them back home to be safe from the Drow Marauders we were fighting. I miss those little guys:smallfrown:

Kemper Boyd
2008-10-01, 05:50 AM
In a 3.5 Eberron campaign, I enjoyed playing a multiclassed human private detective from Sharn who was a Sorcerer/Rogue/Fighter.

scythemantis
2008-10-01, 08:40 AM
I've only played any tabletop RPG with DM's who stick to the player's handbook, which isn't how I'd like to roll, but I do my best with what I'm given

My last character in such a game was a half-orc druid who had been in a terrible fire and hideously mutilated, basically looking more like a corpse. He wore a burlap bag over his head and at one point I replaced it with an old-timey diving helmet! Early on the only spell I kept getting any use out of was summon swarm and ONLY if I summoned bats, so I ran with that and only did anything bat-related. Dire bat companion, dire bat wildshape, summon dire bats...I wound up the most dangerous member of the party with all the damn bats. I got us out of so many problems with the bat swarms, causing hilarious bat-related pandemonium and a lot of civilian casualties.

And though I'm hopelessly creature-obsessed, I realized that no alien I chose in the Star Wars RPG could actually be considered bizarre within the Star Wars universe, and I really like to weird out the NPC's, you know? So I opted for a droid character, made him a smuggler/pirate type, gave him all the swiss-army-knife action of an artoo unit, and chose the outer casing of a Power or "Gonk" droid (http://content6.clipmarks.com/blog_cache/starwars.wikia.com/img/CF7021A9-D9D1-4E18-9898-9D8DDD683A72) with hidden wheels in its feet for Gumby-like mobility. We only played two games but everyone seemed to have a blast with my character. After all, it was a pirate disguised as a giant car battery.

The best thing ever was when I tried to pretend I was an ordinary gonk droid to fool a couple of guards, and just to be fair, I was asked to do a bluff check but still given a pretty big bonus to it. I had to roll a 1 to fail. I rolled a 1. We had a grand old time figuring out HOW I could have failed. I think one of the guards felt that my gonking was a little off, and he knew his gonks.

I actually do have a D&D character in mind already in case I'm ever given a RIDICULOUS amount of leeway: someone who escaped half-way through the horrible rituals of the Meenlocks, one of my top five favorite monsters. Half-insect, all insane.

Ascension
2008-10-01, 11:24 AM
I came very close to getting to play a Bard who vehemently denies that his spells are actually magic. Unfortunately, the campaign collapsed first.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-01, 11:32 AM
I came very close to getting to play a Bard who vehemently denies that his spells are actually magic. Unfortunately, the campaign collapsed first.

i demand that this plan is brought to fruitition!

he'll i'd DM myself if half the bizarre concepts in this thread were fleshed out properly. It would be the worst, non-optimised party ever... who all got XP and +1 cookies for delivering whitty lines and failing quests in a comedic manner

DarknessLord
2008-10-01, 11:48 AM
If it's PbP, I'm actually up for this, I think the whole thing would be ridiculously fun.

Ascension
2008-10-01, 11:57 AM

he'll i'd DM myself if half the bizarre concepts in this thread were fleshed out properly. It would be the worst, non-optimised party ever... who all got XP and +1 cookies for delivering whitty lines and failing quests in a comedic manner

Sounds like a great idea. We should try to get this together.

As for the bard, he was actually quite scared of casters and of magic in general, and would have been terrified of himself had he ever admitted to himself that all those happy coincidences that just happened to occur in his presence were actually magical effects caused by him.

EDIT: Although I don't have the book for it, what would be really funny would be to take him into Sublime Chord so he'd be casting focused and still in self-denial.

BRC
2008-10-01, 11:59 AM
I fighter who specializes in fighting with spiked armor.

Burley
2008-10-01, 12:08 PM
I know there are probably much better out there, but right now I'm playing a (4e) Tiefling Wizard focusing on Cold spells, to the point that he cannot cast fire spells (including using prestidigitation to light candles). His skin is changing from Red to Blue and his horns are becoming crystalline. The process happens a little more with each level. Almost all of his spells have something to do with ice, and the ones that don't I'm trying to fluff into the icy realm. (Shield creates a plate of ice bearing his diety Erathis's symbol (AC bonus), and creates ice on his feet (Reflex bonus).)

Danzaver
2008-10-01, 12:24 PM
In no particular order:

- A gnome Barbarian armed with two straight-razors who had an unusual form of autism, whereby certain bright colours, loud noises, or soft fabrics would send him into a rage.

- A blind tatooist psion, who could imitate sight with the Hear Light power and the Blingsight 5' radius feat (one of my favourite character concepts ever).

- A Kobold Paladin who worshipped a regular-sized rat, who when it walked, the ground shook. That was its only god-like power. Longest running character ever. He started out as a fighter who just thought he was a paladin, but eventually became a real one after serving his god tirelessly and unquestioningly for so long. :P

- A human fighter with multiple personalities. One personality was a wizard (he only thought he could cast spells), another was a fighter, another was an extremely bigotted paladin, the last was a cloaker.

- There's also a monk in my game at the moment who cut off his ears, nose, and lips for reasons as of yet unexplained....

BRC
2008-10-01, 12:50 PM
My current campaign includes, as far as intresting characters go
A Guitar Hero: Actually a Psychic warrior going into Sonokineticist (Pyrokineticist refluffed for sonic attacks instead of fire), he as a guitar that is more like a mobile arsenal. It only actually functions as a guitar because of a modified "Ghost Sounds" spell placed on it.

A Soulknife named Iv (he is the result of an experiment conducted by the organization the PC's work for, he was subject #4) who can't speak, but has a mindlink with another character (Kobold combat trapsmith/rogue) who rides around in his backpack and speaks for him. The two players sit next too each other and the Soulknife leans over and whispers anything he wants said in the Kobold's ear.

TheThan
2008-10-01, 01:58 PM
Sounds like a great idea. We should try to get this together.

As for the bard, he was actually quite scared of casters and of magic in general, and would have been terrified of himself had he ever admitted to himself that all those happy coincidences that just happened to occur in his presence were actually magical effects caused by him.

EDIT: Although I don't have the book for it, what would be really funny would be to take him into Sublime Chord so he'd be casting focused and still in self-denial.

Actually that sounds like fun.

But it’s been my experience that combat heavy games don’t work so well pbp. With that in mind I think it’d work out well as a (mostly) Rp focused campaign.

But who's willing to DM such a game?

snowbard55
2008-10-01, 03:55 PM
We formed a new campaign today of 5 people..our party is very bizarre.

A Human Paladin who worships a god that exists only in his own mind. When praying he talks to himself and holds both sides of the conversation. When he does the god voice he speaks with "thy" and such.

A NE Halfling Wizard who has convinced the Paladin (the leader) that he is NG for the purpose of escaping the Thieves Guild, to whom he ows a large sum of money and the local monastary, which he may or may not have vandalized.

A Human Cleric who requires that anyone who wants her to cast a spell convert to her religion, but she does not require that you stick to it. Basicly you can hit her up for healing, then just resign the religion.

An Elf Rogue who refuses to actually steal anything. She just uses her skills to "keep up with the real theives."

Finnaly, Myself, a Dwarf Fighter who is a recovering alchoholic. He wears a pendant that is from the setting's equivalent of AA. If he sees anyone else drinking he attacks them in an attempt to purify them of the "evil toxin"

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-01, 06:36 PM
But who's willing to DM such a game?

i had a campaign in mind that i never got to use - would run from level 1 to about level 12-14 at most? It was going to be a pretty straight faced city campaign for some friends (basically to introduce them to DnD and also to ease me into my first spot of DMing), but the juxtaposition would make it even more fun - a heroic party of misfits and bumbling idiots

it would be core-only (phb, dmg, mm1), RP-orientated, although still with a bit of battling it out every now and again, and power gaming would regularly result in freak rockslides.

IF i can work out a way to make it a viable pbp campaign, and IF everyone is willing to put up with a noobie DM (or some kind soul would be willing to co-DM with me - i've got pretty much the whole story plotted out in my head, just need a bit of help on the crunch side of things from time to time), i'd happily run/co-run it as a campaign.

BobVosh
2008-10-01, 07:33 PM

This would work best for paranoia

Kemper Boyd
2008-10-02, 04:44 AM
Another great concept: Duergar are immune to poisons.

So, a Duergar monk who fights naked and lathers himself with contact poisons beforehand.

Smeggedoff
2008-10-02, 04:59 AM

So, a Duergar monk who fights naked and lathers himself with contact poisons beforehand.

I think the enemy would fear a naked dwarven grappler WAAAAAY before they even realised he was poisoned :smalleek:

BobVosh
2008-10-02, 05:33 AM
I think the enemy would fear a naked dwarven grappler WAAAAAY before they even realised he was poisoned :smalleek:

Not the dwarven sluts.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-02, 07:03 AM
The party concepts in the PbP I'm in right now are at the lowest level of bizareness, but all together they can be rather wierd.

- I'm playing a homebrew bard; in-game he's a holy servant to the saints of war, thieves with hearts of gold and knowledge. Oh, and he has Int 16/Wis 8. He talks a lot, either his brain going on auto-pilot or Obfuscating Stupidity.
- One of the warlocks is an Eladrin who can talk to fey. Only he can see the fairies flying about, and he often appears to be holding a vigorous conversation with empty air.
- The other warlock believes he's a scholar first and foremost. Even though the stars have given him knowledge beyond human ken, he can control it and keep himself sane. Or at least we hope.
- The Paladin worships a goddess of art and insanity, and is head-in-the-clouds insane. We wears plate armor, a longsword at his side... and a purple tophat given to him by his goddess. Oh, and he really does talk to himself.

The Elf Fighter and the human Ranger are the only ones that act sane all the time. And the elf is a subversion of the "live in the forest close to nature" elves, he's from a germanic mechanized mountain region that is closer to magitech than the trees and the birds.

CyberRebirth
2008-10-02, 10:44 AM

This just completely made my day :smallamused:

Draco Dracul
2008-10-04, 02:01 PM
A normal LG paliden who worships an evil god that he thinks is a good god.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-04, 02:06 PM
A normal LG paliden who worships an evil god that he thinks is a good god.

So like a normal Paladin of Pelor basically?

MisterSaturnine
2008-10-04, 02:11 PM

*hits over the head with a sap*

You know too much.

SmartAlec
2008-10-04, 02:12 PM
A mage that sticks to Wild West cliches - The Wizard with No Name. Flattened, broad-brimmed hat, stubble, dusty dusty serapo-style robes, wand in the holster, a sawn-off staff, flask of whiskey...

Draco Dracul
2008-10-04, 02:29 PM

Well, I ment more along the lines of a god everyone else knows is evil which could lead to fun situations like this:

(Town under attack from undead, people screaming and running in fear.)
Paliden: Fear not good town folk for I, Malcior champion of Veckna, have arrived.
(People stare in scilence for a moment, then scream louder, and run in absoulte terror.)
Paliden: Why does every one always run from be?

chiasaur11
2008-10-04, 02:32 PM
Well, I ment more along the lines of a god everyone else knows is evil which could lead to fun situations like this:

(Town under attack from undead, people screaming and running in fear.)
Paliden: Fear not good town folk for I, Malcior champion of Veckna, have arrived.
(People stare in scilence for a moment, then scream louder, and run in absoulte terror.)
Paliden: Why does every one always run from be?

His reports to the clergy would probably raise a few eyeballs.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-04, 02:57 PM
His reports to the clergy would probably raise a few eyeballs.

i imagine his reports getting bounced back and forth between the two churches

"no no, i do believe this letter was intended for you"
"be gone filth, i don't wish to read reports of your steps to hold back our plans"
"but he is clearly paying reverance to your god"
"reverence?!? who cares about reverance? he's been killing undead"
"so?"
"who from our church would KILL undead - we want more of them!"
"but he seems to think you want less"
"oh shut up. be gone!"
"well thats no way to talk to someone trying to do you a favour"
"what favour? sending us false and confusing letters. Hes one of your lot. Take him back"
"but he's writing to your lot"
"oh shut up"

it would go very monty python very quickly

Draco Dracul
2008-10-04, 08:49 PM
it would go very monty python very quickly

Is that a bad thing?

chiasaur11
2008-10-05, 12:32 AM
Is that a bad thing?

No, probably not.

Might mean it'd get very offensive and silly, however.

theMycon
2008-10-05, 02:37 AM

I tried a drunken chinese dwarf once. The koreans thought it was hilarious, everyone else got offended.

That was probably pushed along by my "I'm tired of this character and feeding it a dragon" bit, where my parting words reminded everyone to run _now_, he'd only get hungry again in half an hour.

ghost_warlock
2008-10-05, 04:42 AM
My strangest character concepts were:

1) A pixie wizard who was utterly convinced that he was Orcus, Demon Prince of the Undead.

2) A lawful good puppetter (3.0 psionics). He sometimes leaned more towards the lawful than the good, but the creatures he dominated were well-treated. :smallwink: In the end, he had to be retired because he was generating a following NPCs that more than doubled the size of the party (via psionic domination, psionic charm, and good-old Diplomacy).

3) Another parasite/worm character for a GURPS game. This one could only dominate the host but could still charm or otherwise interact with other characters via psionics. The character was a pretty nice guy, actually, despite being a parasitic alien telepath serving as a scout for planetary invasion! :smalltongue:

4) I played a horse-sized gem dragon (homebrew) in a StarWars game (used the Alternity system). My breath weapon was a burst/cone of electrical energy that caused synaptic static in humanoid targets, rendering them unconscious. Because of some short-sightedness on the part of myself and the DM, I ended up with an ability to absorb energy damage, thereby making me immune to damage from blasters and my natural armor was high enough that I was effectively immune to pretty much all impact weapons, too. And I had a body tank! :smalleek: Unfortunately, it wasn't long before the DM figured out his mistake and my body tank went bye-bye in a similar fashion to Tony Stark's cave-model in the Ironman movie. :smalltongue: *CRASH!*

Starshade
2008-10-05, 05:05 AM

Would end up looking as a classical greek classical age wrestler, or a oil wrestler. Or a charging male stripper. :smallbiggrin:

The thought is just.. so.. hilarious. hahaha! :smallbiggrin:

Lord_Kimboat
2008-10-05, 06:36 AM
My own favorite was Chillingham Rockinback. Gnome druid that smoked a little too much, and not tobacco. When things were good he would say, "greeeen," and basically talked like a Californian surfer dude.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-06, 10:13 AM
on a more serious note:

if anyone is willing to help me co-DM a campaign (i basically need a bit of hand holding on the crunch) i have a decent plot for a level 1 throu 12-14 that could easily work for this kind of thing. So if theres anyone willing, please drop me a PM and we can discuss, and soon let everyone unleash their bizarre ideas

Adumbration
2008-10-06, 01:01 PM
My very own, creepy character concept.

Human psion. Take the Illithid Heritage feats, including all the Illithid grapple and extractor. Especially those. Enjoy eating brains.

The best part is that you can have three tentacles at level one, if flaws are allowed...

Raz_Fox
2008-10-07, 09:35 PM
I haven't played this character myself, but the ressurected Warforged thread gave me an idea.

A warforged in a world with no warforged - created by a magical curse. Perhaps to live forever, perhaps to always be in his armor, perhaps to live without his heart. However it happened, he is now made of metal and heartless to boot. For bonus points, is single-mindedly pursuing the one who cursed him - who may not even have intented for it to be a curse.

For even more bonus points, use a greataxe as your weapon. :smalltongue:

RTGoodman
2008-10-07, 09:38 PM
My very own, creepy character concept.

Human psion. Take the Illithid Heritage feats, including all the Illithid grapple and extractor. Especially those. Enjoy eating brains.

The best part is that you can have three tentacles at level one, if flaws are allowed...

I don't know if that's particularly "bizarre," but it is pretty freakin' cool. I was going to play a character just like that (LE, but not necessarily a puppy-kicking or party-destroying evil) until I showed up for the game and the DM gave a flat-out "No" because he doesn't like mind flayers. :smallannoyed:

ocato
2008-10-07, 09:50 PM
I made a Jedi once in a gestalt game of 3.5. No one really figured out what he was supposed to be, which either means I did it poorly or hid it well. I might comment that given his successes in the game, I'm going to lean towards "did it very well." All I really did was combine psionic powers that embodied telekinesis and charm/suggestion effects, a little bit of clairvoyance, and a lot of Armor Class (no armor, mostly all dodge and deflection). Mix with superhuman speed and talents with a trusty longsword (A holy longsword that was always glowing and humming with green energy) and a penchant for succeeding through patience and wit, and you have a pretty fun character.

chronoplasm
2008-10-10, 05:18 PM
I just had an idea...

In the village of Yelyas, children born with the magemark are seen as bad omens and are discarded in the wilderness to die.
Sometimes though, these infants are found by wanderers and adopted. One baby girl was found by a tribe of goblins and taken as a pet. As the girl grew up, she began to display amazing magical talents and was seen and was eventually seen as a vital asset to the goblin tribe.

So, this is a halfling sorcerer raised by goblins. The goblins never told her where she came from, so she thinks she is a goblin. The magemark disfigures half of her face so it isn't hard for her to accept.

*edit*

Also, another idea:

A lich owns the local tavern. His phylactery is disguised as a jar of pickled eggs kept behind the bar.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-10, 05:37 PM
Awakened Mongoose Rogue. He was a Familiar until his master died about 3/4ths of the way through Tomb of Horrors, and lived in there off of the bodies of various adventurers who lost to the dungeon until he could make his way out. He's obsessed with personal defense and survival, and refuses to eat any cooked food or non-meat. I may go with this for one of my campaigns actually, if our lack of a Rogue gets me killed(the alternatives are a Multiple-Personality Disorder Factotem/Master of Masks/Chameleon or a self-hating Gnomish Cloistered Cleric of Kurtulmak with the domains to get him the anti-trap skills, who blames the gnomes for the endless wars and the massive anti-kobold prejudice).

Starscream
2008-12-07, 09:39 PM
A half orc with a split personality (his human side was lawful good, his orc side was chaotic neutral). For reasons he doesn't understand, exposure to any sort of magic (be it healing, damaging spells, or even acquiring a new magic item) causes him to flip between the two.

A monotheistic cleric. Because he thinks his god is the only one that truly exists, all other divine casters must secretly be getting their powers from the forces of evil, and are not to be trusted.

An actual evil clown. Seemed a stretch until I learned that Dragon Compendium has a class called jester which is basically a Bard with the cool level ratcheted up to eleven.

A character whose only power is luck. There's actually a PrC for this, Fortune's Friend from Complete Scoundrel. But that class is just to augment an already skilled character with luckiness, whereas this guy was designed to rely on nothing but pure luck. All his feats were luck feats, all his spells seemed to take the form of complete coincidences, weapons did low damage but had huge crit range etc. Named him Gladstone after an obscure Carl Banks character who had this gift. Actually played him too, but the DM found all the rerolls from the luck feats to be an annoyance. Can't blame him, nothing could touch this guy. The freaky thing was that the dice seemed to catch on and play along. I've never rolled so many natural twenties in my life. The looks on the other player's faces were priceless.

A necromancer with Cotard's syndrome. Look it up if you don't get it.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-12-07, 10:12 PM
One of my characters I'm playing in an online game started as a naive farmboy. Through a bizzare series of events he's become the Eberron equivalent of Batman. :smallcool:

UserClone
2008-12-07, 10:31 PM
Warforged Urban Druid with an animated clawfoot cast iron bathtub for an Urban Companion.

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-21, 12:59 AM
I'm playing in a 1p game as *takes a deep breath* a Chaotic Good gestalt (positive energy - similar to a deathless) evolved undead necropolitan kobold factotum//egoist, named Nibo Ghede.

His great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather on his father's side was Pun-Pun (pre-ascension), and he practices ancestor worship, venerating Pun-Pun as the Chaotic Good/Neutral god of self-empowerment and betterment for kobolds everywhere. He suspects that there is both human and dragon blood in his family tree, as his mother had wings, and Nibo himself grew up sporting a full head of fiery red hair (which, of course, is extremely unusual for a kobold).

He grew up best friends (and later on, quite a bit more than just friends) with a Neutral Good werewolf boy named Garou, and the two of them got into a lot of mischief together (but they never really got caught). He practiced hiding from his friend, who was a natural lycanthrope (who had an incredible sense of smell, thus earning Nibo the Darkstalker feat), but neither of them learned he was a were until adolescence hit (Garou's parents were, oddly, not lycanthropes, and they currently are unaware of his condition, as well as Nibo's relationship with him).

Nibo was constantly curious, and thus learned a little here and a little there about just about everything. He longed to be useful, to assist his parents and his tribe, who were on good terms with the other common races in the area (a TN tribe of kobolds? Blasphemous!), so Nibo decided he wanted to try his hand at adventuring, renting himself out as a trap expert for a band of adventurers, with the intent of sending money back to his tribe. Garou stayed behind, mostly due to being slightly younger than his kobold friend.

Unfortunately, the first mission proved to be a disaster, and the entire cave complex his group was exploring collapsed in on itself. He was the only survivor. Nibo managed to tunnel his way through the wreckage to the entrance of the cave, where he disturbed an unstable rock, which crushed him. As he lay there, gasping his dying breath, his vision failing, a strange priest dressed in a top-hat and tails waltzed up to him, offering to "make you whole again."

He agreed.

His breath wheezed out in a death-rattle, and then his world became one of unending, unbearable torment. He awoke, free of the stone that had killed him, and feeling more alive than he did when he was...alive.

He's now undead, and cannot bear the thought of going back to see his friends or family again, and especially Garou, for them to see him wearing this undead shell he now inhabits.

He has no idea just what he is now, though he knows he's no longer living. He sees the world in a kaleidoscope of colors, and has to shield his eyes against the brilliant light cast off of every living thing he sees (he has the Lifesense feat, but still has Light Sensitivity from being a kobold). His senses are almost painfully vivid, and though he doesn't know what's doing it, the positive energy cascading through his body floods through his eyes, which glow with wisps of white flame; his blackened, charred skin flares almost painfully hot; and his flesh smells faintly of roasted kobold. (I can't decide on whether he's kept his fiery red hair, or whether it burnt to ash before he first awoke as an undead.)

He's exploring the world to find the man who did this to him (http://www.thejoker.btinternet.co.uk/images/emailst.jpg), as well as to gather what information he can to figure out just what the in the Nine Hells he is, exactly. Not to mention his burgeoning magical abilities, which he did not have prior to dying. He also feels an almost overwhelming compulsion to destroy any other undead he comes across, and has been doing his best to help anybody he can that is in need of assistance he can render (he IS Good-aligned, after all).

I'm not sure where the story will go from here, but it's certain to be an interesting ride, regardless.