PDA

View Full Version : Names in a session

Eruenno
2008-09-22, 06:33 PM
Not sure if this has been "suggested" before, but here goes...

Post your favorite names from any session(either you played or DMed). Goes for rivers, mountains, towns, characters... anything that deserves being called somehow... :smallbiggrin:

That ought to help us all with inspiration, and I am sure there are some of us here that hate coming up with names(I for one). Especially during a session... and to be honest, I don't trust random name generators much... hehe.

Anyways, now I can only think of these:
Feandril - char. name
Asan - char. name
Adrianne - char. name
Almaric - char. name

Arendal - town name
Regaron - town name
Avaron - town name

Wreckingrocc
2008-09-22, 07:32 PM
Dewey Sprinklebottom the gnome. It's a recycleable name. The original name was given to an engineer who built my warforged. Then, I transferred it to an insane gnome warlock hungry for power. It fits the goofy characters, and reminds people that the crazy murderers are gnomes. Plus, it lightens any mood.

monty
2008-09-22, 07:35 PM
Roger. I had skill points left over, so I put some in Profession (Shrubber).

Wreckingrocc
2008-09-22, 07:37 PM
Roger. I had skill points left over, so I put some in Profession (Shrubber).Nice. That's all I can say about it. It just fits so perfectly.

Thane of Fife
2008-09-22, 07:44 PM
If you want someone to stand out as evil, then I think it's hard to find a better name than Malefact.

The Violet Sea is a generic ocean which I find myself using frequently. I also like to name a nation the Enlightened Lands. It rarely is actually enlightened.

I also quite liked Shatterfang the White Dragon.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-22, 07:53 PM
Kand Island. That way, when my crazy PC who built the adamantine drill tank tries to teleport to Candy Land, he ends up there instead.

Starlas, as the name of the big city. I feel it has a nice ring.

I also fit the names of a dozen or so weapons from video games into one campaign. The PCs didn't even figure it out.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-22, 08:27 PM
Possibly my best-roleplayed character ever was named Stredexon Intwisca. For those who dont see where it came from.

STRe
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

A buddy of mine would also constantly have Craft (Love), since nobody in the group ever bothered to craft items except for a couple times.

Wreckingrocc
2008-09-22, 08:32 PM
How about a character named H. P. with Love (Craft)? He could be a starpact warlock, eh?

comicshorse
2008-09-22, 08:34 PM
We played a game set among a nomadic tribe where the names of the people reflected their characters or the deeds thay had done.
They Included : Kellan Quiet-Killer, Slayer of Sixteen Shades, Dances Death of Demons and Majestic Eater of Dragons ( no-one messed with that guy )

sonofzeal
2008-09-22, 08:35 PM
Possibly my best-roleplayed character ever was named Stredexon Intwisca. For those who dont see where it came from.

STRe
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

A buddy of mine would also constantly have Craft (Love), since nobody in the group ever bothered to craft items except for a couple times.
I always thought Love was a Peform check. Huh, who knew?

Jack_Simth
2008-09-22, 08:36 PM
Nicholas Patrick Chauncer. He was a very useful guy to have around, even if he wasn't worth much in a battle.

skywalker
2008-09-22, 08:37 PM
In the game I'm DM'ing, the characters' names are as follows:

De'Tre'
Daphne
Dermalock
Tieie
Firatra

or, as one player so aptly put it:

Date Rape
Daphne
Dermarest
T&A
Firaga.

Prometheus
2008-09-22, 08:38 PM
I had a short lived thread about this. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60825)

AetherFox
2008-09-22, 08:41 PM
Haha, I have a friend who's not the best at coming up with names. He had to come up with one on the spot for a significant NPC he made: Billy Bilbo :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2008-09-22, 08:47 PM
I shall be a drow paladin in the next game of 4e I play.

Menet w'rkk

He comes from a land down under... Do you think the accent might be too much?

Jalor
2008-09-22, 08:53 PM
My party's names are fairly basic:

Kedar no-last-name-for-background-reasons*, my halfling ranger.
Balthazar no-last-name-cause-the-player-is-a-moron, our dragonborn warlord.
Kaylani unpronounceable-elf-surname, our elf ranger.
Tanos Sarth, our tiefling rogue.
Zaeth Kos, our human wizard.

I used a random name generator and got lucky, the other ranger found his online, and the others just used names that sounded right. My favorite of the bunch is probably Zaeth Kos, what with its subtle Ravnica reference.

*Kedar was rescued from a bandit attack as a baby, and raised in a dwarven city by one of the adventurers who saved him. He declined a dwarven last name, because he was not a blood relative of any of the dwarves.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-22, 09:23 PM
Gummy Pettimore, gnome serial killer. Sent mocking letters to the police signed "Sticky Little Death."

BardicDuelist
2008-09-22, 09:51 PM
Atelus of Cretia (a Greco-Romanesque general caught in an Odessey like backstory)

Don Cerivant, the Quixotic Knight of Pellanora (a Don Quixote inspired old man)

Givlid Gobberstreet (a goblin beguiler from an alternate steam-punk like world who was sent to our campaign world by an experiment in time travel gone horribly wrong)

Archibald "Skizzo" Glibi Lockinbill (a gnome inventor who made a tank out of a bathtub he encountered in a prison cell)

Alrich the Wanderer (Philosophically conflicted Druid)

Despid the Cursed (Hellbred warlock that escaped from hell on a loophole)

LibraryOgre
2008-09-22, 10:08 PM
Let's see... we have:

-Lucan, who results in me singing "My name is Lucca" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZyxYL753w4)
-Of course, we have Sheila, the dwarven paladin, better known as She-ra! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quzY7ONePM4)
-My character, Jorun Ranosh, whose name is constantly misspelled.
-A dragonborn fighter whose name is Murderous Rex. We don't really do anything with that name... it's far too awesome.
-A half-elf warlock named Rowan, who keeps trying to acquire a nickname that isn't a shortened version of his own name (Roe or Wan are the most common).
-And a rogue named Emma... I can't remember how, but our DM consistently mis-calls her.

Fishy
2008-09-23, 12:23 AM
My hobby is making names for demons, ranging from badass to silly.

Harriel Who Rewards The Unfaithful
Belareth Who Punishes the Just
Ealonex Who Speaks Lies to Power
Jastex The First Among Traitors
Izhathelkelion The Burning Chains Of Savage Fate
and Kharadezhiel Whose Teeth Are As Worms Devouring Innocence. (Gladys for short.)

I'm also a sucker for inventing elaborate naming conventions with a smattering of prefixes and multiple last names, as Averrus Maximilian d'Kharadezhiel m'Rudolphus, and Cescilliamus d'Sabatiel m'Radolfus might tell you.

Singhilarity
2008-09-23, 12:33 AM
A Halfling Beguiler with a viper familiar that lived in his sleeve, a pechant for poisons, and an adrenaline addiction named Task.
He lives in a very suppressive government and is rather subversive.

A Goblin Bard named "Tatitum" who makes a point of repeating his name, mantrically.

And, adopted from the real human being, but far too good a name to pass up... Robert Loblaw. Known as "Bob" to his friends. Bob loblaw.

chronoplasm
2008-09-23, 12:42 AM
I just take the names of people in my group and anagram them.

Richard = Ardrich
Megan = Nagem
Eric = Cire
Nicole = Elocin
Kevin = Nevik

I'll also anagram the names of other people I know.

Mustafa = Afatsum
Vishal = Lahsiv

...Sometimes for villains I'll anagram the names of political figures.

George Bush = Shub-Egrego, the Idiot God
Sarah Palin = Nilapharas, the Lich Queen
Barack Obama = Carab Kamabo, False Messiah
McCain = ...just shave off the Mc and make him CAIN, the Deciever.

...or just people I don't like.

Rush Limbah = Shur-Habmil, High Priest of the Idiot God

Totally Guy
2008-09-23, 01:18 AM
I have a couple of good ones.

Pugh Djinn, evil Wizard

Teos Wu I'm using for an evil Ranger

Voltus Mitra an "unsent" style undead paladin.

Zanzibar the goblin, he wears a Fez and Waistcoat.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/macdonnell/GoblinWizard.jpg

Robert Gag. This one is good, then when later someone suggests an NPC called bob you can say "I already have an NPC called Bob." Then they figure out the Bob Gag had already been used.

Asbestos
2008-09-23, 02:12 AM
Firhlynyr the elf. Stuck it together using some elf name table that WotC had in some book. Been using it for elves ever since. Like that it sounds more germanic than fru-fru elven (treat the Ys as short Is). The surname? Ha, its like 40 letters long, I keep adding to it with every iteration of the name. I just chock it up to elves having ridiculously complex naming schemes. Generally get about 6 syllables in and people just don't want to hear anymore! :smallsmile:

Wreckingrocc
2008-09-23, 08:43 AM
I just take the names of people in my group and anagram them.

Richard = Ardrich
Megan = Nagem
Eric = Cire
Nicole = Elocin
Kevin = Nevik
Mustafa = Afatsum
Vishal = LahsivUhh... Richard is the only real anagram there. All the others are just backwards.

Ascension
2008-09-23, 09:41 AM
I was in a campaign one time with a running gag that all the important NPCs were named after medicines.

The great elven general Lipitor sent us to fight some Derro led by a wizard named Zikam. When we later reached a Drow city, the old guy who ran the magic shop was named Phizer. All the names were like that.

The effect is somewhat lost without hearing it said aloud, but my favorite personal PC name was Giacomo Giovanni, from the same campaign. He was a flashy sorcerer who always wore bright red, flirted with anything both female and Medium, and always introduced himself with an elaborate bow and "I am Giacomo Giovanni." Well, when he wasn't using his absurdly high Bluff to lie about his identity.

kladams707
2008-09-23, 09:54 AM
In one game, we're part of an army so large it has a "special unit", which contains many things including an illithid named Bob and a beholder named Steve.

Sinfire Titan
2008-09-23, 10:13 AM
I'd like to use my player's IC names more often, but two of them have the worst ability to come up with names that cannot be pronounced at all, and the other one is only marginally better (granted, he at least uses pre-existing names from TV shows, the other two use anagrams of common phrases).

But a common recurring theme is to name enemies by four very specific names. Frank, Steve, Bob, and Wabbajack (yes, that one). Happens every combat that has 4 or more enemies of the same type.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-23, 11:14 AM
Caspan Alacaster, who despite his grand name, was a tavern tough that everyone knew as "Twitch" because of his high Initiative and tenancy to Quick Draw daggers and chuck them at people :smallbiggrin:

Simavin Baequidarre, a burnout elven priest of Melora who is fond of the beach. "Mr. Baequidarre" is his father - everyone just calls him "Stormy" :smalltongue:

The Green River Trading Company, but only because I demanded that all bardic lore results be communicated via song. I reuse the Green River Trading Company in my games for no other reason than to have an opportunity to sing its praises.

Oh! And Gork & Mork, the half-orc barbarian brothers who played bodyguard for one of my minibosses. Nobody could tell them apart.

Ascension
2008-09-23, 12:03 PM
The Green River Trading Company, but only because I demanded that all bardic lore results be communicated via song. I reuse the Green River Trading Company in my games for no other reason than to have an opportunity to sing its praises.

Did you use this song? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwlohp1lSLs) If so, how did you explain the Muhlenberg County line?

Or "train," for that matter...

hexe
2008-09-25, 04:19 AM
I called my D&D characters

'Guernica Diamatstaub die Katze' thats 'Guernica Diamonddust the Cat' in english.
She's an Elf raised by Gnoms, thats why she is kind of loony.

and

'Blue Bärentöter das Scheusal' - 'Blue Killer of Bears a Kind of Monster'
She was a good looking lady, but has the blue skin, that made people sacred

and

'Nadir' my Drow - short and simple. Nadir is the opposite of zenith.

Allis
2008-09-25, 05:13 AM
for names of NPC's, I read words on juice bottles (chips, cookies, books, whatever) backwards, shuffle some letters around, make up another syllable... The trouble is not inventing the name, but remembering to write it down and use it the next time. There was this gnome sailor once who has been given a new name every following adventure, because I forgot and my players could not remember eighter. But then again, for a gnome it's not so strange to have multiple names. His boat was named Piratebane Seastrider Steamboat.

One of my characters was named Ican. as in, amerICAN cookies. Hey, they were on the table...

Allis
2008-09-25, 05:20 AM
one thing to remember though, as a DM. Be sure not all the names start with the same letter, look a lot alike or sound silly in non-silly characters. My current DM has every villain starting with an M. And it's all french sounding. We keep mucking up.

My world: The Kingdom is called Romilla, the capital is Manara. The king's family name is Romill, his first name Markad. He does have a half-brother named Markin, but in this case the confusion was on purpose. Their ancestor is called Markul, a fitting name for an evil king of long-past. Then there were several islands in the Demberah islang groups, the main one called Wirihan. The evil cleric was called Dioté, his enemy Faradil.

Towns: Kalpole, Wuha, Tardik, Orindin...

Charity
2008-09-25, 05:34 AM
Uhh... Richard is the only real anagram there. All the others are just backwards.

Kevin = Nevik

Well if you will insist on nit picking...

Uh I have a current character called Baltaar, he is an assimar wizard, and one of my old favs was Bramble Longshadow, halfling... er adventurer.

Ravens_cry
2008-09-25, 05:44 AM
I like names that sound like they would fit my idea of the culture that produced them. For example, the Orcish Town of Mik-Tal, the Elvin druid Mithenie [MITH-en-ee], the Dwarvin Smith-City of Brundledin. The Goblin Queen, Hagda the Screamer.