PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Background Benefits (FR Player Guide)

TheEmerged
2008-09-22, 06:47 PM
So, after looking through the benefits in the Forgotten Realm Player Guide, I think I've got the baseline for how they balanced them for use in doing this for my own campaign world.

Now, this system isn't *perfect* because there are at least two areas that don't conform to this system (Tymanther and Dupar). I'll chalk those up to misprints for now and ignore them. There is also one benefit that doesn't seem balanced to me, but is confirmed in two different backgrounds so I'm rolling with it. I can't quite seem to quantify the bonuses to Calimshan yet (I'm thinking the +4/7/10 resist is 4 pts and the +5 vs thirst is 2 pts).

Backgrounds are worth six points.
o A bonus language (chosen or specific) = 2pts
o An additional class skill = 2pts
o +2 bonus vs fears = 2pts
o +2 bonus vs charms = 2pts
o +2 (then +3, then +5) to a single resist flavor = 2pts (reference: Akanul)
o +1 Initiative = 2pts*
o +1 bonus to skill = 1pts
o +2 bonus to skill = 2pts
o +3 bonus to skill = 4pts (reference: Narfell)
o Rerolling a skill check = 4pts
o Using something other than CON to determine initial HP = 6pts
o Reroll a failed save vs charm once per encounter = 6pts
o Reroll a failed save vs fear once per encounter = 6pts (not directly listed but inferred)

* Initiative is the one that doesn't seem right to me, but compare Dalelands, Dragon Coast, Vilhon Wilds, and Luraur.

Sound about right to everyone else?

Kurald Galain
2008-09-23, 03:17 AM
We can infer that 6 points = 1 feat. For instance, "WIS to base HP" is roughly the same effect as the toughness feat.

However, the "reroll a failed <foo> save once per encounter" shouldn't be worth nearly that much because it simply won't come up all that often.

Skill bonuses' price should depend on the skill.